1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ibis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

In the bottom of the cab, the cable coming off the transformer going to the board, the connector is cooked from heat. Needing to replace it, the .093 extractor tool is too big, the .062 is too small. If someone can verify that the correct size is a .084 would be greatly appreciated, especially since this stupid tool is like $45!! I have the connector, I need to buy the pins and extractor tool so trying to not buy $75 worth of parts I will never need!

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

If the connector is burned and you're gonna replace it couldn't you just cut the wires without popping the pins out? It's going in the trash anyway. And if you have the connector, doesn't the place you bought it from describe the size of pins it uses?

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

If the connector is burned and you're gonna replace it couldn't you just cut the wires without popping the pins out? It's going in the trash anyway. And if you have the connector, I would think you would have the size of pins that connectors uses somewhere?

Yes, going to replace the connector, but the replacement connector has existing pins in it too. Thats a lot of potential for ruing the connector trying to yank those out.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Yes, going to replace the connector, but the replacement connector has existing pins in it too. Thats a lot of potential for ruing the connector trying to yank those out.

Oh I gotcha, I figured the replacement connector was new. You might be able to find a cheaper extractor tool that will do the job on Amazon. Probably won't work as well as the $45 one but if you're basically only going to be using it this one time...

#5 1 year ago

Go to your local hobby store and look at the small brass pipes. Bring your connector with you and match the pin to the brass pipe that will permit the pin to be pulled. I use the brass pipes cut down and wrapped with tape on the end. I suspect the pins are .093 and there is separate tool for the male and female pins.

#6 1 year ago

Oh, and another thing...take your current in stock pins, and I assume the transformer connector pins are female, so use a female pin, and see how it fits on the male pins of the mounted connector to determine proper pin size.

#7 1 year ago

EBD pins are at transformer are .084

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

EBD pins are at transformer are .084

This is what I thought. I have .093 and .062 extractor tools and neither of them worked but just wanted to verify the correct size before I made an expensive investment. Thanks!

#9 1 year ago

If you're going to replace the connector and the pins you might want to switch to .093 which is more common, and since you already have the tool.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

If you're going to replace the connector and the pins you might want to switch to .093 which is more common, and since you already have the tool.

No can do, the replacement board it goes into is .084 and its not my game, so wouldn't want to unnecessarily work on someones new board. GPE is closed, hopefully Ed opens it back up soon so I can order what I need.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/verify-connector-size-8bd-bally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.