7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by flipit
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Just applied Varathane Polyurethane to clear coat a playfield and have used it to clear coat many playfields. On this application after one coat I was able to scratch it off with my fingernail very easily. Not sure why, as this had never happened in the past. Has anyone had problems with this product? What is your process for prepping the playfield before the clearcoat? HELP!!!

#2 7 years ago

The proses is outlined thoroughly from vid tutorial.

#1 don't use varathane.

I'm guilty of using it on touch ups but note it on a red tag under pf and use Naphtha to remove prior to 2pac.

#3 7 years ago

What prep did you do prior to laying it down. I have to assume there is a contamination problem with something on the playfield, or is this a new batch that might be bad?

Varathane is actually better than people give it credit for, just make sure you are using the non-oil based stuff which does yellow. The newer UV clear stuff is pretty good.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What prep did you do prior to laying it down. I have to assume there is a contamination problem with something on the playfield, or is this a new batch that might be bad?
    Varathane is actually better than people give it credit for, just make sure you are using the non-oil based stuff which does yellow. The newer UV clear stuff is pretty good.

Agreed with BJM-Maxx... I've also noticed odd-ball behavior when applying it in cool and/or very humid conditions, but what's different with my results is that it usually results in orange peel, not what you're experiencing... I'd also be sensitive to shelf life of the varathane - I've had weird results from cans that I've tried to use as leftovers from previous projects... now I always buy new and NOT use leftover full or partial cans.

And I happen to like varathane as an alternative to CC; to each his own.

#5 7 years ago

I've done this process many time over the years with never a problem. I scraped it all off and just picked up a new can, as the stuff I used was from the March time frame. It was fairly cool when I sprayed it. I used a touch-up gun and it went on very thin. This was new as I usually use a production gun that applies it much heavier coat. I will reclean the playfield with alcohol and give it another try.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/verathane-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.