(Topic ID: 285616)

Venting my frustration regarding de-soldering.

By Occelot

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

030bfd6acbcfa44274dc4a7afbe980b9c8c7149b (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Holy smokes. BR's on an EDB power supply are quite possibly the most difficult things to desolder. I have never encountered such a difficult and time consuming task. SAKDFGJSDAJFKSDFSFJLSFKJSF

/End vent

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Occelot:

Holy smokes. BR's on an EDB power supply are quite possibly the most difficult things to desolder. I have never encountered such a difficult and time consuming task. SAKDFGJSDAJFKSDFSFJLSFKJSF
/End vent

Did you cut them off so only had to desolder the pins? If not a bridge rectifier is a great heatsink

#3 3 years ago

No. I didn't cut them off. How would I do that? There is no clearance between the PCB and the BR. Also, in between the PCB and the BR is a thin... "heatsink" looking pad. Is that why I am having issues getting the solder to heat up etc? My iron's operating temp is 480deg.

#4 3 years ago

Put on a n95 mask and just dremel off the corners of the BR (divide and conquer), with abrasive cutting disc

Do this outside so you don't fill the house with lead dust

I like to leave lots of airflow room under the BRs so they last longer, easy to snip and replace.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/3#post-2113948

030bfd6acbcfa44274dc4a7afbe980b9c8c7149b (resized).jpg030bfd6acbcfa44274dc4a7afbe980b9c8c7149b (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

WOW that IS a lot of room for airflow!

#6 3 years ago

If I leave room under BRs on the EBD power supply, I won’t be able to screw it back to the base plate. Unless I mount the BRs on the top of the PS. Currently they are mounted on the bottom. Is that ok to mount on top?

#8 3 years ago

So how do you ground them if you have them so far removed from the board? Do you have to ground them? (To my knowledge the center screw grounds them) (them, them, them

#9 3 years ago

No ground other than the DC ground, which is the lug opposite the odd positioned lug. Hole in center is just to mount the BR to a board or to attach a heat sink. Outside of the bridge is not conductive. Just the four lugs.

Often the ones you're installing are an upgrade from the originals. If you're putting in 35 amp, 200 volt bridges, they're not likely to go bad again in your lifetime.

#10 3 years ago

The transformer in games like EBD usually puts out a higher switched illumination bus voltage than the older games plus there is the aux lamp driver with extra lamps. The feature lamp bridge gets smoking hot in these games. I would put the bridge on the bottom so you can mount it against the substantial bracket as a heat sink. If you put it up on top of the board need to add a good heat sink and it may get in the way of the spit guard.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/venting-my-frustration-regarding-de-soldering?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.