(Topic ID: 341426)

Venom (Stern) Owner's Club. Choose Your Host, Change the Game!

By friscopinball

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,047 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by korgakoth
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Whic version of Venom are you buying?”

• LE 92 votes
    48%
  • Premium 65 votes
    34%
  • Pro 33 votes
    17%

(190 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240704_101039 (resized).jpg
IMG_2477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2478 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0384 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0382 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0383 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0380 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0377 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0379 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0378 (resized).JPEG
pin (resized).JPG
IMG_2424 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240618_230654544 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,047 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 81.
#3951 28 days ago

Maybe a silly question, but I no longer have my Venom. But I have received three packages from Stern with various fixes. What do I do with them if I don't own the game anymore? It seems silly to toss them, but I traded it with a distributor for another game, so it's not like I could mail them to a person I sold it to.

#3952 28 days ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Maybe a silly question, but I no longer have my Venom. But I have received three packages from Stern with various fixes. What do I do with them if I don't own the game anymore? It seems silly to toss them, but I traded it with a distributor for another game, so it's not like I could mail them to a person I sold it to.

Post them for free (buyer covers shipping) I am sure someone could use them.

Or reach out to the distro and see if they could send them to the new owner.

#3953 28 days ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

But I have received three packages from Stern with various fixes

Can someone confirm what the fixes are for the Pro?

TIA

rd

#3954 28 days ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

PM’d ya. I have had zero luck getting these fixes through the distro mine was acquired from and would love to have them.

#3955 27 days ago

Hi guys, I am operating a Venom, and since last week something very strange is happening. So I'd like to know if anyone has also experienced it?
And maybe if there is a fix?

When starting a game, if we plunge without validating a host with the action button, then we can still choose it while playing. Then if we lock the ball it'll wait for us topush the action button to validate the host before spitting it out.
Prior to that, it'd auto validate the host after any switch way it.

#3956 27 days ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys, I am operating a Venom, and since last week something very strange is happening. So I'd like to know if anyone has also experienced it?
And maybe if there is a fix?
When starting a game, if we plunge without validating a host with the action button, then we can still choose it while playing. Then if we lock the ball it'll wait for us topush the action button to validate the host before spitting it out.
Prior to that, it'd auto validate the host after any switch way it.

Sounds like the shooter lane switch isn't working. The game thinks the ball is still in the shooter lane so that's why you can still choose a host and why it won't serve a second ball.

#3957 27 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Sounds like the shooter lane switch isn't working. The game thinks the ball is still in the shooter lane so that's why you can still choose a host and why it won't serve a second ball.

Forgot to say hat I tested all switches and they all register fine.
Will try the shooting lane switch again when I go back there, maybe in a few days.

#3958 26 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Can someone confirm what the fixes are for the Pro?
TIA
rd

I'm going to be sending them to @GorillaBiscuits, but when I'm boxing them up, I'll take pics of all 4 and post them with descriptions. Hopefully that will help folks out.

#3959 26 days ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I'm going to be sending them to @GorillaBiscuits, but when I'm boxing them up, I'll take pics of all 4 and post them with descriptions. Hopefully that will help folks out.

Thanks for that. Your fixes are for a pro?

rd

#3960 26 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thanks for that. Your fixes are for a pro?
rd

No, they're for the premium. But it will give an idea of what is out there to see how they may apply to the pro.

#3961 26 days ago

So I only have two fixes. The other two are replacement parts that I forgot I requested a while ago.

PXL_20240618_230555544 (resized).jpgPXL_20240618_230555544 (resized).jpgPXL_20240618_230654544 (resized).jpgPXL_20240618_230654544 (resized).jpg

#3962 26 days ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

So I only have two fixes. The other two are replacement parts that I forgot I requested a while ago.

Appreciate ya buddy! Thanks for sorting me out with this stuff

#3963 25 days ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Forgot to say hat I tested all switches and they all register fine.
Will try the shooting lane switch again when I go back there, maybe in a few days.

Solved, there is a second switch in the shooting lane. It was blocked by the shooting lane protector....

#3964 25 days ago

J85M

Any updates on your Venom mods - how are they coming along?

#3965 25 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

J85M
Any updates on your Venom mods - how are they coming along?

I was going to keep things under wraps a while longer but I just uploaded a test video I took on my phone casually the other day of the “Venom” containment capsule.

The left side has a carnage sculpt, it’s worth noting in this video the green containment meter is not triggered, a diffuser in the bottom cap is not in place and the lighting board that will light up the ball exiting the fast locks is not in place. This was simply to test the white down and up lighting was giving the correct effect on the sculpts, if you look closely the animated lights give the sculpt the impression the symbiote itself is moving.

To add some more details along with the video, each capsule will have 64 LEDS packed into them, I had custom light boards created in order to get the most effective light shows in these small capsules.

The LEDs are all running from a Stumblor board, so they can be fully customised if you wish, although the default light show is going to rock!

The 1st board will light the top window of the capsule, the 2nd will down light the Venom and Carnage sculpts, while the 3rd board will up light the sculpts and the 4th and final board will light the wireform and balls upon exiting the fast locks.

Finally an LED strip inside the top cap will surround the two LED boards creating the interactive containment integrity meter. This will be lit green by default, ball one will alter its state to yellow/orange, ball 2 will turn the containment meter red and ball 3 will begin a fault/flickering light show.

The idea around the ball locks is the containment of the capsule is being reduced with each ball lock as the symbiotes gain strength/locks. I wanted to do something that was very theme specific and wasn’t just 3 lights doing the same old ball 1,2,3 locked.

Once I can tempt Davey away from his mammoth workload, he will get that programmed and a full reveal will be done. I will drop a few more behind the scenes reveals like this one tonight, showing off the Carnage sculpt, the finalised capsule with everything fitted and finished with production parts and not the 3D printed prototype parts seen in this video.

#3966 24 days ago
Quoted from J85M:

Lots of text

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3967 24 days ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

[quoted image][quoted image]

What is the right ramp support bracket? Was that sent to everyone or did you have a problem with yours?

#3968 24 days ago
Quoted from J85M:

I was going to keep things under wraps a while longer but I just uploaded a test video I took on my phone casually the other day of the “Venom” containment capsule.
The left side has a carnage sculpt, it’s worth noting in this video the green containment meter is not triggered, a diffuser in the bottom cap is not in place and the lighting board that will light up the ball exiting the fast locks is not in place. This was simply to test the white down and up lighting was giving the correct effect on the sculpts, if you look closely the animated lights give the sculpt the impression the symbiote itself is moving.

To add some more details along with the video, each capsule will have 64 LEDS packed into them, I had custom light boards created in order to get the most effective light shows in these small capsules.
The LEDs are all running from a Stumblor board, so they can be fully customised if you wish, although the default light show is going to rock!
The 1st board will light the top window of the capsule, the 2nd will down light the Venom and Carnage sculpts, while the 3rd board will up light the sculpts and the 4th and final board will light the wireform and balls upon exiting the fast locks.
Finally an LED strip inside the top cap will surround the two LED boards creating the interactive containment integrity meter. This will be lit green by default, ball one will alter its state to yellow/orange, ball 2 will turn the containment meter red and ball 3 will begin a fault/flickering light show.
The idea around the ball locks is the containment of the capsule is being reduced with each ball lock as the symbiotes gain strength/locks. I wanted to do something that was very theme specific and wasn’t just 3 lights doing the same old ball 1,2,3 locked.
Once I can tempt Davey away from his mammoth workload, he will get that programmed and a full reveal will be done. I will drop a few more behind the scenes reveals like this one tonight, showing off the Carnage sculpt, the finalised capsule with everything fitted and finished with production parts and not the 3D printed prototype parts seen in this video.

I like where this is going!

Can't wait to see the end result of your hard work.

Appreciate the update.

Now if Stern would only tell us about the flippin' topper

#3969 24 days ago
Quoted from PinFascination:

What is the right ramp support bracket? Was that sent to everyone or did you have a problem with yours?

I had to request this fix (along with the plastics guard fix kit) from my distributor after learning of them from other owners' posts on this thread. I didn't really notice a need for either on my game, but I went ahead and installed them as a "better safe than sorry" measure.

#3970 24 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I had to request this fix (along with the plastics guard fix kit) from my distributor after learning of them from other owners' posts on this thread. I didn't really notice a need for either on my game, but I went ahead and installed them as a "better safe than sorry" measure.

Thanks for the update, I only got the plastics one due to this thread too, so I guess I will be asking for this then too!

#3971 23 days ago

After putting some time on this one I have some programming suggestions I'm cross posting here in the hopes some random Stern employee who cares about this game sees them.

1. So you gain XP by playing and this carries over from ball to ball and game to game. This XP helps you defeat bosses by making your shots do more damage against the enemy. Fantastic! If you are having a hard time with a boss, if you keep playing more games eventually it will become easier to beat because you have more XP and you will win. The boss fights are all timed so its difficult to beat the bosses at a lower level. Awesome mechanic. HOWEVER, the timed shots required to qualify for the bosses do not get easier as you play. If can be difficult to hit the timed shots in order to qualify so if you don’t meet a minimum threshold of skill it doesn’t matter how much XP you get to help you fight the bosses as you’ll never reach the bosses to fight. I would suggest a built in hidden “mercy rule” for qualifying the modes. Lets say you have to qualify the white arrows. As it is now, you have to shoot the first white arrow and then then within a set amount of time a second arrow within a certain amount of time. What if each time you shot the first arrow and failed to hit the second, there was a slightly longer interval in which to hit the second white shot. What if after 3 failures to hit the second white shot in time the 5th “2nd shot” wasn’t timed? This would still allow for meaningful scoring, speed runs, high scores, but would open up some of the basic modes for mediocre players.

2. I get frustrated just about every time I start carnage multiball because I’m not progressing toward anything but XP… which I could get while working on other things. We need a “hold button to cancel” option.

3. I was 3 hours into my first speedrun before I gave up, looked online, and figured out how the grid system on the playfield worked. It’s not that complicated, but it is not anything many pinballers would figure out on their own playing the game. To a random player (me) it was not obvious that I needed to complete the first boss as all the characters to unlock Grendell/Knull. I don’t have a good solution for this.

4. I spend a lot of time after qualifying knull defeating knull. As it is probably half of my time on the game is just trying to beat knull over and over. That gets boring.

5. The callouts of "shoot this, shoot that" don't mean anything to me. Shoot the right ramp means more to me than "shoot the police headquarters" or whatever.

#3972 23 days ago
Quoted from Geoffery:

[quoted image]

Thank you, I’ll hopefully have the full install in a week or two for you and everyone else to reevaluate properly. These have been a real passion project.

I am aiming to get these under $600, it has ended up a little higher than I wanted but it is basically two separate mods and I am going to most likely limit it to 25 sets.

I was planning on doing a basic version (both capsules behaviours tied together) and an extended version (capsules behave independently from one another) however I have decided to simply offer the best version (extended) and eat the cost of the extra control board from Stumblor, simply because I don’t want to offer a version I wouldn’t be happy with.

Each kit will come with a Venom vial and a Carnage vial, 2 x Stumblor boards and all the usual high quality wiring and connectors that go with a Stumblor board.

#3973 23 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

After putting some time on this one I have some programming suggestions I'm cross posting here in the hopes some random Stern employee who cares about this game sees them.
1. So you gain XP by playing and this carries over from ball to ball and game to game. This XP helps you defeat bosses by making your shots do more damage against the enemy. Fantastic! If you are having a hard time with a boss, if you keep playing more games eventually it will become easier to beat because you have more XP and you will win. The boss fights are all timed so its difficult to beat the bosses at a lower level. Awesome mechanic. HOWEVER, the timed shots required to qualify for the bosses do not get easier as you play. If can be difficult to hit the timed shots in order to qualify so if you don’t meet a minimum threshold of skill it doesn’t matter how much XP you get to help you fight the bosses as you’ll never reach the bosses to fight. I would suggest a built in hidden “mercy rule” for qualifying the modes. Lets say you have to qualify the white arrows. As it is now, you have to shoot the first white arrow and then then within a set amount of time a second arrow within a certain amount of time. What if each time you shot the first arrow and failed to hit the second, there was a slightly longer interval in which to hit the second white shot. What if after 3 failures to hit the second white shot in time the 5th “2nd shot” wasn’t timed? This would still allow for meaningful scoring, speed runs, high scores, but would open up some of the basic modes for mediocre players.
2. I get frustrated just about every time I start carnage multiball because I’m not progressing toward anything but XP… which I could get while working on other things. We need a “hold button to cancel” option.
3. I was 3 hours into my first speedrun before I gave up, looked online, and figured out how the grid system on the playfield worked. It’s not that complicated, but it is not anything many pinballers would figure out on their own playing the game. To a random player (me) it was not obvious that I needed to complete the first boss as all the characters to unlock Grendell/Knull. I don’t have a good solution for this.
4. I spend a lot of time after qualifying knull defeating knull. As it is probably half of my time on the game is just trying to beat knull over and over. That gets boring.
5. The callouts of "shoot this, shoot that" don't mean anything to me. Shoot the right ramp means more to me than "shoot the police headquarters" or whatever.

2. try to prepare/use carnage in the other multiball, as alone (same as lot of other pins) indeed you'll get quite nothing

4. this is where all new Venom players stop & ask : is this all this pin has to deliver ? the answer is no, just read few pages behind, and you will see the light

#3974 23 days ago

You don't have to beat the first boss as all the characters. Only the one on the column for the host you're currently playing as (or two for the advanced hosts.) And that often happens during Mayhem so you don't actually need to play any first level boss fight at all.

I'll add a +1 to your first point - let the mini-modes get easier if you fail them, that would help and not break anything.

#3975 23 days ago

You bring up some good points and great feedback. I think a lot of what you say nails it on why this game doesn’t get love, which is rules knowledge & difficulty.

1. This is a great idea, making mini-mode hurryups easier as you get to be higher levels. Something Xaqery or CoreyStup should consider. There is a setting to make them easier in the adjustments, but that doesn’t help location pinball; so making them progressively easier would be brilliant and match the rest of the game code as you mentioned.

2. There’s plenty of multiballs in modern pins where they don’t do much towards game progression. For Carnage mb, it’s all about XP and/or points; but consider stacking it with a Mayhem or Million Pops; this will greatly increase xp and score. But, learning the rules and getting Carnage’s super jackpot should be your primary objective. It’s not easy, but can help net in some extra xp - though, i think the super JP should bring in more xp than it currently does.
EDIT: One thing to mention that brings in more strategy of the game is playing as Peter Parker. You can breeze past all the carnage modes and net a good amount of xp. Then loop to a 2nd Carnage multiball and stack that with Mayhem instead of the 1st carnage.

3. This is pinball 101, rules knowledge. I can’t begin to tell you how many games I didn’t like until I learned the rules.

4. It’s been mentioned many many times in this thread (and others), but worth mentioning again. Try playing Venom as a traditional pin (NSP Mode - No saved progression) and watch your mind be blown. Playing it with saved progressions is really cool and fun to do time to time and I want to do some battle Knull strategies. The -SP version is more of a glorified battle mode type game. But NSP is traditional pinball that opens up all the other modes, breadth, and depth the game offers.

5. They did do ramp/shot call outs as well as the actual shot name; they are both mixed in. Personally, i didn’t like the dedicated shot call out at first, but now that I know them, it gives the game way more character than just shoot the shot.

All in all, i think this game will get a lot more respect when people learn the rules and scratch the -SP mode and play it more as a traditional pin.

#3976 23 days ago

Had another ball get stuck under the moving ramp and this time it fried the motor. Have there been any strides in preventing this at all?

#3977 23 days ago

You make some great points. I do agree that shoot the ramp or whatever would be more helpful than police station etc.

There is a setting in the menu that makes the timed shot longer for the grid combo.

I’ve heard a lot of people say they can’t make the combos quick enough. I can’t believe that from you as a seasoned player. Also pick the skill shot that spots a grid light and it’s much easier.

But maybe there could be a setting that automatically lights a column or fills in the column on the last ball if you haven’t done it already. I’ve seen games that will light a mode on the last ball as a mercy rule.

#3978 23 days ago

No saved progress is great (aka normal pinball rules) it’s like DP or whatever.

I think a lot of people dislike the saved progress (XP grind) and the game got a bad reputation because some people dislike saved progress.

However I’m glad there’s an option to do saved progress. I wish other pins had that feature.

#3979 23 days ago
Quoted from rai:

No saved progress is great (aka normal pinball rules) it’s like DP or whatever.
I think a lot of people dislike the saved progress (XP grind) and the game got a bad reputation because some people dislike saved progress.
However I’m glad there’s an option to do saved progress. I wish other pins had that feature.

I think its fantastic and yes more games should have it. My wife asks on every game if it has it and when I say no she gets a sad panda face, lol.

#3980 23 days ago

Random question, has anyone else noticed that they barely ever hit the bumpers? I almost never hit them nor do I feel the need to even get over there to do so. Anyone else feel the same? Or can anyone give me a reason as to why I should try and hit them more often? (LE Playfield)

#3981 23 days ago
Quoted from PinFascination:

Random question, has anyone else noticed that they barely ever hit the bumpers? I almost never hit them nor do I feel the need to even get over there to do so. Anyone else feel the same? Or can anyone give me a reason as to why I should try and hit them more often? (LE Playfield)

Shoot Flash’s stop shot 7 times to start million pops mode. Then you’ll have a reason to hit them.

#3982 22 days ago

. So you gain XP by playing and this carries over from ball to ball and game to game. This XP helps you defeat bosses by making your shots do more damage against the enemy. Fantastic! If you are having a hard time with a boss, if you keep playing more games eventually it will become easier to beat because you have more XP and you will win. The boss fights are all timed so its difficult to beat the bosses at a lower level. Awesome mechanic. HOWEVER, the timed shots required to qualify for the bosses do not get easier as you play. If can be difficult to hit the timed shots in order to qualify so if you don’t meet a minimum threshold of skill it doesn’t matter how much XP you get to help you fight the bosses as you’ll never reach the bosses to fight. I would suggest a built in hidden “mercy rule” for qualifying the modes. Lets say you have to qualify the white arrows. As it is now, you have to shoot the first white arrow and then then within a set amount of time a second arrow within a certain amount of time. What if each time you shot the first arrow and failed to hit the second, there was a slightly longer interval in which to hit the second white shot. What if after 3 failures to hit the second white shot in time the 5th “2nd shot” wasn’t timed? This would still allow for meaningful scoring, speed runs, high scores, but would open up some of the basic modes for mediocre players.

This times 1,000,000,000. My wife wants to get rid of this game due to how difficult it is. It’s not difficult at all, she just can’t do the 6 qualifying shots within the allotted time period…so she dislikes this game compared to every other game currently in our collection as this is the only one that frusterates her.

Hard to keep it in the collection like it is. They need to change this. Maybe when you are level 90 make it to where you only need to hit each color once…that would do it.

#3983 22 days ago

Man, made it to level 41 in NSP mode; completed 3 of 4 host hurryups, 3 of 4 mini bosses. Was ready to go for Grendel and Knull, and shanked the start battle shot, game over lol.

Wishlist for @xaquery and CoreyStup :

+ Add some type of wizard mode for doing all 4 host hurryups; could use the host inserts above the shooter as representation.

+ XP boost for host hurryups

+ XP boost for carnage super jackpot

+ Polish and a little refined rules for bloodlust and rampage (rampage needs the Doppleganger switch logic reset sooner) (bloodlust needs some intensified stages as you increase # of successful shots).

+ progressive XP bonus tied to the carnage hurryup. Perhaps add xp as a hurryup alongside the scoring?

IMG_2424 (resized).jpegIMG_2424 (resized).jpeg
#3984 22 days ago

So after a lot of time on Jaws; I gotta say, I like the Scream Venom video mode more than jaws’. Biggest reason is the main goal in jaws is just going for the freebie extra ball. I played both a lot today, and enjoyed scream much more. Curious to hear from others who have played both a lot.

#3985 22 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So after a lot of time on Jaws; I gotta say, I like the Scream Venom video mode more than jaws’. Biggest reason is the main goal in jaws is just going for the freebie extra ball. I played both a lot today, and enjoyed scream much more. Curious to hear from others who have played both a lot.

I have, and it's the opposite, Jaws is pretty fun and Venom's is a boring waste of time. Yeah Jaws is focused on the extra ball, but I just spam about four shots to get it and then go back to the shooting. On Venom the delay and collision detection are atrocious, you can be halfway through a whip and then whoops, you got touched before that whip began so you lose. Jaws always feels fair and that it's in your hands, Venom feels like it's going to screw you on purpose if the timing happens to line up wrong and there's nothing you can do about it.

#3986 22 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Man, made it to level 41 in NSP mode; completed 3 of 4 host hurryups, 3 of 4 mini bosses. Was ready to go for Grendel and Knull, and shanked the start battle shot, game over lol.
+ Add some type of wizard mode for doing all 4 host hurryups; could use the host inserts above the shooter as representation.
+ Polish and a little refined rules for bloodlust and rampage (rampage needs the Doppleganger switch logic reset sooner) (bloodlust needs some intensified stages as you increase # of successful shots).
+ progressive XP bonus tied to the carnage hurryup. Perhaps add xp as a hurryup alongside the scoring?[quoted image]

Drinking wine tonight and playing a ton of venom; got a great idea for a host hurryup wizard mode - host hurryup frenzy:

+ each phase consists of 2 hurry ups which are score and xp based. The first hurryup is character based (ie center shot). The second hurryup is a lock shot
+ If you make them both, you’ll automatically change hosts. Make 2 more hurryups, and automatically change hosts again. Make all 8 hurryups to collect a final jackpot and go to the pick a host screen.
+ Order of hosts are based on the order you achieved the regular host hurryups.
+ if you fail to make a hurryup, you stay as the host you are and play continues.

#3987 22 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I have, and it's the opposite, Jaws is pretty fun and Venom's is a boring waste of time. Yeah Jaws is focused on the extra ball, but I just spam about four shots to get it and then go back to the shooting. On Venom the delay and collision detection are atrocious, you can be halfway through a whip and then whoops, you got touched before that whip began so you lose. Jaws always feels fair and that it's in your hands, Venom feels like it's going to screw you on purpose if the timing happens to line up wrong and there's nothing you can do about it.

I liked jaws more at first but it’s just spamming for an extra ball. I find scream more challenging. Both are relatively mediocre in the world of pinball video modes.

#3988 21 days ago

guys, reading you makes me happy (Venon & Jaws)

we have a brand new place with 4 pins near our house, i've visited them of course :

pin (resized).JPGpin (resized).JPG

next time i'll concentrate on Stranger...

#3989 21 days ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

guys, reading you makes me happy (Venon & Jaws)
we have a brand new place with 4 pins near our house, i've visited them of course :
[quoted image]
next time i'll concentrate on Stranger...

Nice scores!

#3990 21 days ago

tanx...

the STERN IC leaderboard is a very clever thing from them, they knew we (the pinball players) will battle to have our tag there up, and if we battle that means we're... putting coins in their pins !

#3991 21 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

+ progressive XP bonus tied to the carnage hurryup. Perhaps add xp as a hurryup alongside the scoring?[quoted image]

I’ve been breaking a bill quite regularly (arcade mode, extra balls off) then Danni comes along Friday night and gets 3.5b. Doooooh. She said she beat Grendel. I’ve only started that once. It’s tough on 3 balls.

rd

#3992 21 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It’s tough on 3 balls.
rd

come on Dave, it's not lol

#3993 21 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I liked jaws more at first but it’s just spamming for an extra ball. I find scream more challenging. Both are relatively mediocre in the world of pinball video modes.

I find Venom's video mode challenging and look forward to playing Jaw's. It's gonna be pretty tough for ANY game to exceed GoT's video mode depth and quality though!

#3994 21 days ago

Switched to playing with saved progress, have unlocked all special characters. Any strategies on getting to Klyntar wizard mode?

#3995 21 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

Switched to playing with saved progress, have unlocked all special characters. Any strategies on getting to Klyntar wizard mode?

The strategy is to do Knull first to get the hardest part out of the way. If you don't beat Knull on ball 1, don't fight him again, just wait for a new game instead.

To beat Knull, first get grid powerups (extra time, flame thrower, extra ball save), that makes it much easier than going in empty. The easiest way to get big chunks of the grid is to use Captain America and grind mysterys to get completed boxes awarded. Switch to Hulk for the fight itself for the button smash power.

#3996 20 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

The strategy is to do Knull first to get the hardest part out of the way. If you don't beat Knull on ball 1, don't fight him again, just wait for a new game instead.
To beat Knull, first get grid powerups (extra time, flame thrower, extra ball save), that makes it much easier than going in empty. The easiest way to get big chunks of the grid is to use Captain America and grind mysterys to get completed boxes awarded. Switch to Hulk for the fight itself for the button smash power.

But if you beat him and then fail one of the other objectives, don’t you get reset to level 1? So doesn’t that mean you have to level up all over again?

#3997 20 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Agreed 1000%. I will champion Venom to all the haters, because it does so much cool shit.... but I cannot defend the video mode. It's bad. The collision-detection is literally worse than 40 year old video games. Even some of the worst Nintendo games feel better. I feels awful to constantly misjudge a whip, or actually complete one... and then be told you failed...?? It feels broken in its current state.

#3998 20 days ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

But if you beat him and then fail one of the other objectives, don’t you get reset to level 1? So doesn’t that mean you have to level up all over again?

Yes - but the point is leveling up again takes less time than you'll end up spending on the other objectives, in all the games where you do them first then don't beat Knull.

#3999 20 days ago

Little maintenance on LE#95 this weekend, New post/flipper rubbers (superbands) and the Gameroom Mods complete plastic protector kit in yellow (matches the bottom play field colors very well.

A quick video:

IMG_0380 (resized).JPEGIMG_0380 (resized).JPEG

IMG_0379 (resized).JPEGIMG_0379 (resized).JPEG

IMG_0378 (resized).JPEGIMG_0378 (resized).JPEG

IMG_0382 (resized).JPEGIMG_0382 (resized).JPEG

IMG_0383 (resized).JPEGIMG_0383 (resized).JPEG

IMG_0384 (resized).JPEGIMG_0384 (resized).JPEG

Also grabbed some pics of the Venom Black PinDefender launch lane protector to keep it looking new.
IMG_0377 (resized).JPEGIMG_0377 (resized).JPEG

#4000 20 days ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Agreed 1000%. I will champion Venom to all the haters, because it does so much cool shit.... but I cannot defend the video mode. It's bad. The collision-detection is literally worse than 40 year old video games. Even some of the worst Nintendo games feel better. I feels awful to constantly misjudge a whip, or actually complete one... and then be told you failed...?? It feels broken in its current state.

100% wonky and broken. I have discerned no rhyme or reason for why the majority of my fails occur. Input lag doesn't appear to be an issue, only conclusion I've made is the "hit box" detection is huge next to Scream.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 549.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 26.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 169.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
9,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 4,047 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.