(Topic ID: 341426)

Venom (Stern) Owner's Club. Choose Your Host, Change the Game!

By friscopinball

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,048 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by skwal
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Whic version of Venom are you buying?”

• LE 92 votes
    48%
  • Premium 65 votes
    34%
  • Pro 33 votes
    17%

(190 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240704_101039 (resized).jpg
IMG_2477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2478 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0384 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0382 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0383 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0380 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0377 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0379 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0378 (resized).JPEG
pin (resized).JPG
IMG_2424 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240618_230654544 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 81.
#3901 39 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Ugh, found out the hard way that there's a time limit to select a new host... wife said dinner was done and I was having a food game, so I completed the third shot in the grid from Gwenom, then made the shot to select a new host and left to go eat. As I'm halfway to the table, I hear noise from the game and run back to see the ball draining. Booo.

Open coin door next time

#3902 39 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Ugh, found out the hard way that there's a time limit to select a new host... wife said dinner was done and I was having a food game, so I completed the third shot in the grid from Gwenom, then made the shot to select a new host and left to go eat. As I'm halfway to the table, I hear noise from the game and run back to see the ball draining. Booo.

Hope dinner was good!

#3903 39 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Open coin door next time

Good call, will keep that in mind next time!

Quoted from gumnut01:

Hope dinner was good!

Beef with broccoli - it was delicious!

#3904 39 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Open coin door next time

does just open door stop timers? or do you need to enter the menu?

#3905 39 days ago

That reminds me of the time I was making frozen pizza, my gameroom was in the basement so nowhere near the kitchen. I put in the pizza and timer at 20 minutes. Then like a dummy started playing my LotR and of course was into an epic game when the timer went off. I didn’t want to burn the pizza so I had to leave the game mid ball.

#3906 39 days ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

does just open door stop timers? or do you need to enter the menu?

Opening the coin door will stop action and save the ball, but you need to have enabled this option in the game adjustment settings beforehand.

#3907 39 days ago
Quoted from viper001:

Someone cryptically posted in the Stern production thread that the Venom topper was "sick" so I'm guessing it will be revealed pretty soon. But who knows?

I heard Stern has "Changed the Game" of Toppers in the Pin Industry with the upcoming Venom piece. All the rumors about the sophistication behind it are true. In fact, it's so "next level" they aren't even referring to it as a "Topper."

They will be selling "The Toppleganger" - to rule all. I hope I'm one of the select owners lucky enough to secure one.

#3908 39 days ago

I don't understand all the hate for this game. Admittedly we got an LE on the cheap (comparatively speaking), but not everything can have multiple moving mechs and stacked playfields like Godzilla (which I also think is odd people constantly comparing it to what many believe is the greatest pinball of all time). My kids love it, the video game aspect of it, and it's probably had more plays in the short time we've had it than the other games. I do wish there were more mods for it. While the venom canisters are nice, $900 is beyond feasible. Not to say they aren't nice, they are, and I bought his Jaws playfield upgrades for my wife (she's constantly asking when more accessories are coming for Jaws and Venom specifically after seeing our Foo decked out), but that's a bit much. We will pass on that and get the topper instead, not a huge price difference!

Only beaten Knull once so far, unlocked Hulk, and I managed to get a full matrix lit (then immediately drained...), I think the incremental progress made keeps us going back to it.

#3909 39 days ago
Quoted from Geoffery:

I don't understand all the hate for this game. Admittedly we got an LE on the cheap (comparatively speaking), but not everything can have multiple moving mechs and stacked playfields like Godzilla (which I also think is odd people constantly comparing it to what many believe is the greatest pinball of all time). My kids love it, the video game aspect of it, and it's probably had more plays in the short time we've had it than the other games. I do wish there were more mods for it. While the venom canisters are nice, $900 is beyond feasible. Not to say they aren't nice, they are, and I bought his Jaws playfield upgrades for my wife (she's constantly asking when more accessories are coming for Jaws and Venom specifically after seeing our Foo decked out), but that's a bit much. We will pass on that and get the topper instead, not a huge price difference!
Only beaten Knull once so far, unlocked Hulk, and I managed to get a full matrix lit (then immediately drained...), I think the incremental progress made keeps us going back to it.

I’m sure it’s better to get an LE at the current price, lots of hate at $13k but so too is foo fighters and bond they’re all over priced not just Venom.

Heck I bought a AiQ premium that was almost new with $1500 in mods the list price would’ve been $11k with those mode (topper, shooter rod, art blades, speaker upgrades etc.) but I got it for $7800 due to price shrinkage.

It’s often a matter of how much they cost, that gets people mad, AiQ isn’t as good as Godzilla but it’s not bad when I got a premium for close to the price of a nib pro.

It’s the guys that sell Venom after a month and hundred plays at a great loss that are missing out, even though I overpaid at buying an LE for full price I’ll lose $3-4k, but if I keep it 5-10 years it’ll be an insignificant loss likely $1 a play that’s not too bad imo.

#3910 39 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Opening the coin door will stop action and save the ball, but you need to have enabled this option in the game adjustment settings beforehand.

You don't need the setting (and not sure if it existed on LOTR era games.) While the coin door is open, manually push the trough eject coil to put a ball in the plunger lane. It will wait until you close the door and then autoplunge to continue play. It will not count as a drain as long as the voltage interlock was never on while all the balls were in the trough.

#3911 38 days ago
Quoted from Geoffery:

I don't think many of us in this thread would disagree with you, Venom is awesome! It's just pure fun and addiction.

I've been a broken record on this topic but always love to splash ideas and thoughts of why it might get so much hate (initial price aside). The game is really marketed and centered around beating Knull and using the save progression to do so. In doing so, the game can sometimes get a little linear and/or repetitive, so I think a lot of people write it off thinking that's all the game has to offer. Playing the game traditionally (no saved progression), really opens the mind of how much there is to do and different ways to play. Once you get your mind around the other concepts of the game, the saved progression feature becomes much better and even easier to beat knull. So then it comes down to playing the game without saved progression and/or to finish the game which is beating Klyntarr, not Knull.

That all said, I just got a Jaws. And while it has that genius Elwin feel and ruleset, it's still no Venom. Venom is much better, more fun, and more addicting...personally speaking.

#3912 38 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

You don't need the setting (and not sure if it existed on LOTR era games.) While the coin door is open, manually push the trough eject coil to put a ball in the plunger lane. It will wait until you close the door and then autoplunge to continue play. It will not count as a drain as long as the voltage interlock was never on while all the balls were in the trough.

I prefer to just make the adjustment setting and be done with it. I take advantage of this feature all the time on my games for easily dealing with stuck balls, etc. and not losing the ball.

#3914 38 days ago

And head munching frenzy too?

(see 1:00 in following trailer).

#3915 38 days ago

New owner - I came to this party never having played Venom until it was in my home. First thought - best back glass I've ever seen (mirrored LE.) When I saw pictures of the playfield I thought it was too busy - but now that it's at my house I can see it fits perfectly with the layout and is an absolute stunner. It sits next to Deadpool and Godzilla and really there is no comparison in art package (even though the styles are similar - duh). Second - people slam it for its fan layout - but no fan layout shoots like this game - it is pure adrenaline fun. The music, callouts and video are all top notch. I really think this game came out at the wrong time - it premiered right when superhero fatigue was setting in and I think that and the fact that the layout is deceptively simple biased everyone. I was not particularly thrilled with the theme but now I'm reading Venom comics to understand the lore. The majority of people that get to spend time on it seem to agree that it's a winner. I know this is preaching to the quire but it's like we all have this little secret no one else knows about.

#3916 38 days ago

I wish they had rights to put eminem’s venom song in the game

#3917 38 days ago
Quoted from Threetreys:

New owner - I came to this party never having played Venom until it was in my home. First thought - best back glass I've ever seen (mirrored LE.) When I saw pictures of the playfield I thought it was too busy - but now that it's at my house I can see it fits perfectly with the layout and is an absolute stunner. It sits next to Deadpool and Godzilla and really there is no comparison in art package (even though the styles are similar - duh). Second - people slam it for its fan layout - but no fan layout shoots like this game - it is pure adrenaline fun. The music, callouts and video are all top notch. I really think this game came out at the wrong time - it premiered right when superhero fatigue was setting in and I think that and the fact that the layout is deceptively simple biased everyone. I was not particularly thrilled with the theme but now I'm reading Venom comics to understand the lore. The majority of people that get to spend time on it seem to agree that it's a winner. I know this is preaching to the quire but it's like we all have this little secret no one else knows about.

No doubt Venom is the best art package in my collection.

No doubt Venom’s level system is innovative and opens up the bigger bosses to me like no other game. Other games have challenge modes that is nice for me but the level system is so much better. Not saying it’s better than traditional play (no saved progress games) but as an added layer on top of a traditional rules it’s like having two different codes in one game.

#3918 37 days ago
Quoted from rai:

No doubt Venom is the best art package in my collection.
No doubt Venom’s level system is innovative and opens up the bigger bosses to me like no other game. Other games have challenge modes that is nice for me but the level system is so much better. Not saying it’s better than traditional play (no saved progress games) but as an added layer on top of a traditional rules it’s like having two different codes in one game.

Yeah, I would never be able to beat Knull without saved progression. Today, I was level 79, finished Gwenom and Wolverine and battled Knull as Wolverine... got to stage 4, choked on a couple of shots and drained... so yeah.

#3919 37 days ago

Live at the NW Show's Venom seminar mere seconds ago:

PXL_20240608_000518186 (resized).jpgPXL_20240608_000518186 (resized).jpg

#3920 37 days ago

[quoted image]

Ask Dwight if he’s going to fix Venom bugs. More specifically, starting toxin teamup after a mystery doesn’t always allow a team up.

#3921 37 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ask Dwight if he’s going to fix Venom bugs. More specifically, starting toxin teamup after a mystery doesn’t always allow a team up.

Did you make a bug report? I made two and assume someone is looking at them.... maybe....

#3922 37 days ago

[quoted image]

The Twitch link of the Venom seminar is here:
https://www.twitch.tv/geekgamertv/v/2166163342?sr=a&t=13071s

#3923 37 days ago

Hey friends, I recently left the club. Still enjoy the heck out of the game, but I was shaking up my lineup and ultimately traded it for a BKSoR LE.

I had purchased these awesome action figures with consideration for making a homemade topper, but I never had the time. They're pretty sizable, posable, and have different heads & props (including wings for Venom!). I stood them up on another game in the pics to give some scale.

I bought the set on Amazon for $70. They're currently for sale on Amazon for $66. I'll sell them to you for $50 + shipping. Send me a PM!

Screenshot_20240608_012450_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012450_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012513_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012513_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012534_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012534_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012554_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240608_012554_Gallery (resized).jpg
#3924 37 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Excerpts from yesterday's Venom seminar:
"Venom is still in development and I'm overseeing it, but I'm, I'm heavily, I'm like up to my eyeballs on my next game and I've been for a while now…

We're still on some accessories and other things, yeah. But like Corey, if you guys know Corey and my son David are both working on Venom as we speak…

So like today, today we're working on, on the features and stuff that's going to come with the topper, the accessory to the game that hasn't been released yet. But there's always like we'll continue to tweak the game until it will be completely done…

We learn from the audience, from players ourselves balancing, score balance and there's always, there's always like a handfuls of speeches that never made it into the product, into the game yet and that we can we put into pockets. Speech is by far the hardest thing to do. Choreography in general is the hardest thing to do and speeches is the hardest part of choreography."

The last point about the potential addition of more speeches sounds really really good for me (especially if the additions are in battles or Doppelganger modes)!

#3925 37 days ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Excerpts from yesterday's Venom seminar: ...!

And ... "No comment" in response to question re: upcoming topper featuring venomized Ghost Rider character.

#3926 37 days ago

And ... "No comment" in response to question re: upcoming topper featuring venomized Ghost Rider character.

You're right! Mystery (...and Flamethrower)

#3927 37 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Ugh, found out the hard way that there's a time limit to select a new host

If you enable coin door ball save you can just open the coin door and walk away from the game. The unofficial SPIKE2 pause function.

#3928 37 days ago

Gomez says the topper is done and here we have the Venom design team silenced to death. WTH is this thing?

#3929 36 days ago

So no hint at all on when the topper will be released? Must be awaiting approval from marvel?

#3930 36 days ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So no hint at all on when the topper will be released? Must be awaiting approval from marvel?

Please. It's Stern.

#3931 35 days ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I expect the lower than expected sales of the game didn't jive with the high dollar price tag planned for the topper so development/investment has stopped or slowed down. Possibly with the planned software/code updates having resources directed to other games that need it.

#3932 35 days ago

Random comment of the morning as I drink my coffee. Venom is just freaking bad ass and a blast to play. I’ve spent most my time playing Jaws the past week or so, but jumping back on Venom yesterday was just so refreshing of how good it is. Fast, fun, addicting. The game is just so good, I don’t know what’s wrong with me for liking it so much. It’s my favorite Eddy pin, and favorite Dwight pin. Carry on.

#3933 34 days ago
Quoted from Top_Fuel_Friday:

I expect the lower than expected sales of the game didn't jive with the high dollar price tag planned for the topper so development/investment has stopped or slowed down. Possibly with the planned software/code updates having resources directed to other games that need it.

Possibly so; although, Zach inferring months ago he had seen the topper infers the design was already done. If so, that’s the big cost. It’s not like any topper Stern has ever made had a BOM over a couple hundred dollars…I would guess they never had a BOM over $150. The programming may be more costly, I don’t know.

Still, I wouldn’t think they would abandon the topper for the Venom.

#3934 34 days ago

I'd expect they'd either align it with a code release and new modes (if they are done) or they know it won't hit the target ROI for them to engage in the cost of procurement, licensing, production, distribution of the topper (unfortunately). I would think unless it was some crazy mech, the component cost is one of the smaller pieces of the total cost.

#3935 33 days ago

Playing Venom and very glad I had the PCB Cover Upgrade from Gameroom Mods. It was a direct ball hit that would have totally destroyed the PCB! The product definitely did as advertised and saved the day.

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 5.42.42 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-06-11 at 5.42.42 PM (resized).png
#3936 33 days ago

Nice! Super glad I have it on my machine as well!

#3937 32 days ago

Venom talk from nw show

Brian and Dwight said they are working together on their next project. Looking forward to it.

#3938 32 days ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Possibly so; although, Zach inferring months ago he had seen the topper infers the design was already done. If so, that’s the big cost. It’s not like any topper Stern has ever made had a BOM over a couple hundred dollars…I would guess they never had a BOM over $150. The programming may be more costly, I don’t know.
Still, I wouldn’t think they would abandon the topper for the Venom.

After seeing the JAWS release topper......... I don't have a lot of hope for the Venom one being quality if it is ever released at all.

(if you haven't seen -

)

#3939 31 days ago

Sadly I think it will be just some flat plastics and a few LEDs tied to the game and some additional mode for $1000 and that is it.

#3940 31 days ago

Whatever the Venom Topper turns out to be, it will be better than the Jaws topper.

#3941 31 days ago

Modders are definitely beating official releases - especially when price is factored in - lets see some Venom love - I know a lot of Deadpool toppers were certainly equal with much better price points (but I am still hoping for a nice quality, reasonably priced topper from Stern - hey , I can dream can't I?)

#3942 31 days ago

Y’all calling doom and gloom re: the Venom topper need to just relax a little. Stern isn’t gonna NOT release the topper we *know* is 1) already designed, and 2) Dwight has been working on, even “obsessed with” at times. His games have had awesome toppers. Why would Venom be any different just because it didn’t sell like Godzilla?

It’s coming. Patience.

#3943 30 days ago
Quoted from bwalter:

Y’all calling doom and gloom re: the Venom topper need to just relax a little. Stern isn’t gonna NOT release the topper we *know* is 1) already designed, and 2) Dwight has been working on, even “obsessed with” at times. His games have had awesome toppers. Why would Venom be any different just because it didn’t sell like Godzilla?
It’s coming. Patience.

Topper will come eventually. The profit margin on toppers has to be insane, maybe the best margins at Stern. It's coming

#3944 30 days ago

Thought you guys might want to see my need side armor

IMG_9140 (resized).jpegIMG_9140 (resized).jpegIMG_9141 (resized).jpegIMG_9141 (resized).jpegIMG_9142 (resized).jpegIMG_9142 (resized).jpeg

IMG_9144 (resized).jpegIMG_9144 (resized).jpegIMG_9143 (resized).jpegIMG_9143 (resized).jpeg
#3945 29 days ago

Are Stern’s speaker light kits going to be comparable with Venom? When will they be released?

#3946 29 days ago

Beat Knull for the fourth time - and set another speed run record at 2 hours, 37 minutes. Good news: each run has been faster than the last. Bad news: nowhere near 30 minutes and no idea how I'll ever get to play Klyntarr. Still a ton of fun!

I do hope the speaker lights are compatible (can't see why they wouldn't be).

#3947 29 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Thought you guys might want to see my need side armor
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those look great, where can we get them?

#3948 29 days ago
Quoted from Bluthgg:

Those look great, where can we get them?

https://www.facebook.com/CabCustom

He does lots of other rails for other games as well.

Took a couple of weeks to get done (I ordered other items as well) but shipping was surprisingly fast - less than a week.

#3949 29 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Beat Knull for the fourth time - and set another speed run record at 2 hours, 37 minutes. Good news: each run has been faster than the last. Bad news: nowhere near 30 minutes and no idea how I'll ever get to play Klyntarr.

The way you get Klyntar is to start with Knull first - if you don't get him on ball 1, stop fighting him and don't try for Klyntar that game, leave Knull available for the next attempt. (And to fight Knull successfully, load up on grid powerups before you start the fight, and the easy way to do that is play Captain America and grind mysteries, then switch to Hulk for the fight.)

Plus of course you can do all the usual stuff to help a game - close down outlanes, 5 balls, reduce pitch and slingshot power, adjust flipper alignment upwards - you can even go high enough that you can simply catch a feed from the lock canisters which really makes things hugely easier.

#3950 29 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I do hope the speaker lights are compatible (can't see why they wouldn't be).

Anyone know when they are being released?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 549.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 26.50
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 169.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
9,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 4,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 81.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.