(Topic ID: 341426)

Venom (Stern) Owner's Club. Choose Your Host, Change the Game!

By friscopinball

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,096 posts
  • 307 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by Thunderbird
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Whic version of Venom are you buying?”

• LE 94 votes
    49%
  • Premium 65 votes
    34%
  • Pro 33 votes
    17%

(192 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7228 (resized).png
IMG_3033.gif
IMG_3027 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240704_101039 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2478 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0384 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0382 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0383 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0380 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0377 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0379 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0378 (resized).JPEG
pin (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,096 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 82.
#201 10 months ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

There is some subtle design magic going on in that pro u turn, it feels a little clunky/wrong at first but once you get it I think you’ll probably want to leave it alone.

I was lucky enough to play a pro at a distributor today. I played for an hour. Its a great game! My frustration is the left part of the horse shoe as it is a rattle fest from left flipper. Look at the guide. The ball gets hooked back left, hits outer guide and plinkos back to entrace. This happend multiple times. Right flipper has no issue to it, but the left results in plinko if it hits that wall because it deflects it against the other. And the width of the right side horseshoe extremely wide. I have never seen a gate switch that big!
Its a great game. The fast locks are a blast, the music, animations and call outs are excelent. If the premium was not almost 10k I would buy that version over the pro because of the horse shoe alone. I am getting the pro because I am able to make ramps and I really like the machine.
IMG_7403 (resized).jpegIMG_7403 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7403 (resized).jpegIMG_7403 (resized).jpeg

#202 10 months ago

They're slowly making their way west. Just set up today at Kiitos Brewing in Salt Lake City.

20230914_141511 (resized).jpg20230914_141511 (resized).jpg
#203 10 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Good grief it’s pinball not a life saving medicine!
If that’s your stress in life you have an amazing life. Smile.

I do have a pretty good life. I disagree about pinball not being a life saving medicine.

Quoted from yancy:

Boo hoo, if the shoe was on the other foot you'd say, "how are there games already on the west coast and not in Missouri next door to Illinois?"
You southern Cali guys had the chance to play Venom at SDCC almost two months before me, and I live 20 minutes from the factory.

Can’t disagree with your take. If I lived in those places, I’d hate Hollywood Vic. Still, I can’t remember a time where an announced Stern has taken soooo long to get om location.

#204 10 months ago

I had to sell a pro to get a premium. Prices are … something else. But I liked Venom. Keeper for me.

#205 10 months ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

I had to sell a pro to get a premium. Prices are … something else. But I liked Venom. Keeper for me.

You’ll have a great Zombie Yetti collection! I’ll have the same DP, GZ, Maiden and Venom.

#206 10 months ago

Played a location pro last night at The Arcade in Wichita during our weekly league. I wasn't overly pumped, but I am already thinking about going back tonight. Only managed a few games, so I can't tell if it will be a keeper yet. The game definitely shot great. Like with most fan layouts, the code will make or break it. From what I saw last night, the coders are on the path to an excellent code.

#207 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

You’ll have a great Zombie Yetti collection! I’ll have the same DP, GZ, Maiden and Venom.

What about Ghostbusters!!?

#208 10 months ago

Added black flipper bats and white perfect play rubber from Pinball Life
So much better

IMG_1506 (resized).jpegIMG_1506 (resized).jpegIMG_1507 (resized).jpegIMG_1507 (resized).jpeg
#209 10 months ago
Quoted from He-Man40:Added black flipper bats and white perfect play rubber from Pinball Life
So much better
[quoted image][quoted image]

aesthetically that does certainly match! nice pick!

#210 10 months ago

On boot my game keeps saying cannot operate in this country, anyone have this with a spike 2?

378116134_346365841071649_1804644386943609648_n (resized).jpg378116134_346365841071649_1804644386943609648_n (resized).jpg
#211 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

On boot my game keeps saying cannot operate in this country, anyone have this with a spike 2?
[quoted image]

Maybe they sent you one configured for 220-240 voltage.

#212 10 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Maybe they sent you one configured for 220-240 voltage.

I reseated the sd cards and plugs, and then the game booted. Upon power cycle overnight it is back to this error. Stern said to replace the CPU som...ugh, I feel like it is something on the sd card(s). But theres no code to flash, When I get time this weekend I'll try to flash the main sd card. I think the base sd card is able to be flashed.

EDIT: NVM venom isn't on the SD card image list yet :/
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

#213 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinballbuyer:

I was lucky enough to play a pro at a distributor today. I played for an hour. Its a great game! My frustration is the left part of the horse shoe as it is a rattle fest from left flipper. Look at the guide. The ball gets hooked back left, hits outer guide and plinkos back to entrace. This happend multiple times. Right flipper has no issue to it, but the left results in plinko if it hits that wall because it deflects it against the other. And the width of the right side horseshoe extremely wide. I have never seen a gate switch that big!
Its a great game. The fast locks are a blast, the music, animations and call outs are excelent. If the premium was not almost 10k I would buy that version over the pro because of the horse shoe alone. I am getting the pro because I am able to make ramps and I really like the machine.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Brian Eddy strikes again. Sounds like the funkiness on Stranger Things (another fun game marred by a few bad design choices).

#214 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]

Duluth is too close to Canada.

#215 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I reseated the sd cards and plugs, and then the game booted. Upon power cycle overnight it is back to this error. Stern said to replace the CPU som...ugh, I feel like it is something on the sd card(s). But theres no code to flash, When I get time this weekend I'll try to flash the main sd card. I think the base sd card is able to be flashed.

Reseating isn’t helping this time :/ ufff

Quoted from Geezerp:

Duluth is too close to Canada.

Hahaha, we’ll Canada is same wall outlets

#216 10 months ago

#217 10 months ago

Nice - thanks!

So looking forward to my LE coming. Crazy purchase based on price, theme (for me), and comparative tepid game buzz, but I just have a gut feeling that Venom is going to be VERY fun!

#218 10 months ago

Game seems pretty fun so far. Put a few games on the pro. I really like the speed of the game and the staged balls is a nest concept. The horseshoe shot is super clunky. Odd design choice. The biggest negative for me though is how lame fan layouts are to me anymore. I think I've been spoiled by foo, Godzilla, JP and others. I just miss the cross game side shots. The fan layout is feeling pretty tired on this.

#219 10 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

Game seems pretty fun so far. Put a few games on the pro. I really like the speed of the game and the staged balls is a nest concept. The horseshoe shot is super clunky. Odd design choice. The biggest negative for me though is how lame fan layouts are to me anymore. I think I've been spoiled by foo, Godzilla, JP and others. I just miss the cross game side shots. The fan layout is feeling pretty tired on this.

I took a video of the rattle when I played it with Iphone on glass. It happens alot..This is why I am going to make ramps when I get the game. The left side is a rattle fest. Ramps will solve this issue. I just need the game!!! And I still think the game is a blast. I just want to get this rattle out of it..

I want to try this when I get it. A one piece ramp with the left side being a 180 to wireform and the right maintaining the turn around shot. Maybe the drawing explains the idea better, but I think its doable.

IMG_7407 (resized).jpegIMG_7407 (resized).jpeg

#220 10 months ago

Got my pros delivered yesterday. Hoping to get them on location this weekend. I opened one up to get some time on it, and all I can say is FAST!!! Cab art is great, flashers are a little aggressive, horseshoe is brutal, vertical ball locks are really cool, animation is great, out lanes are very hungry…

Overall I like the game for an in home game, I really don’t think this will do well on my locations. It’s just too fast for the casual player and way to many direct out lane drains, I see people walking away after their first game. I’m going to adjust some settings and angle, add some ball save time and see if I can get the game to a point where it will be profitable on location.

IMG_8328 (resized).jpegIMG_8328 (resized).jpegIMG_8331 (resized).jpegIMG_8331 (resized).jpegIMG_8332 (resized).jpegIMG_8332 (resized).jpeg
#221 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

why would the SD card flash file and Manuals for Venom still not be on their website? The game is out. My tracking for delivery is Monday for central FL.

#222 10 months ago

#223 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]

I had an issue like this for maiden. Ultimately, it resolved on its own, but there may be something helpful in this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-error-message-machine-will-not-operate-in-this-country

#224 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]

I’ve had this same issue with 3 NIB Sterns in the last couple of months. They sent me new PDB, didn’t help, finally replaced the CPU’s and games run fine. Call Stern tech support and they will send you a new one, you may have to go through your distributor on a CPU issue though.

#225 10 months ago

Starting Monday Gameroommods will begin shipping our plastic protectors, a sign upgrade kit, and badge plates (already shipping) for this amazing game. Orders placed before 10am eastern Monday will ship on Monday.

Grab them here
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/09385-stern-venom-upgrades

We will be adding more details, photos and videos to the order page tomorrow morning.

20230916_133110 (resized).jpg20230916_133110 (resized).jpg
#226 10 months ago

I really need the machine! I wanted to see if a horse shoe could be turned into a 2 action ramp. The concept works. The ramp will maintain the original right side horse shoe shot, but change left side to a 180 ramp that feeds a new wireform that will drop to lower left stock wireform. The lower one after fast locks. It is doable. And I will do it as soon as I get the machine…..

#227 10 months ago
Quoted from CRCades:

why would the SD card flash file and Manuals for Venom still not be on their website? The game is out. My tracking for delivery is Monday for central FL.

dunno man, I was a little disappointed. The stock .9 code isn't even posted to reflash

Quoted from Lermods:

I had an issue like this for maiden. Ultimately, it resolved on its own, but there may be something helpful in this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-error-message-machine-will-not-operate-in-this-country

Thank you I'll check that

Quoted from One27Pinball:

I’ve had this same issue with 3 NIB Sterns in the last couple of months. They sent me new PDB, didn’t help, finally replaced the CPU’s and games run fine. Call Stern tech support and they will send you a new one, you may have to go through your distributor on a CPU issue though.

Man 3? this is the first. Stern said new cpu, but the distro hopefully can get it sorted. Otherwise I was thinking of just swapping with Munsters in the mean time to keep venom up. Has anyone swapped spike 2 boards? Ive installed a new one, but wasn't sure about game to game (cpu board swap and swap sd cards)

#228 10 months ago

I really need the machine! I wanted to see if a horse shoe could be turned into a 2 action ramp. The concept works. The ramp will maintain the original right side horse shoe shot, but change left side to a 180 ramp that feeds a new wireform that will drop to lower left stock wireform. The lower one after fast locks. It is doable. And I will do it as soon as I get the machine…..

Going to need to mass produce and sell those.

Well maybe not MASS produce...

#229 10 months ago

You guys who make these mods for games really amaze me.

#230 10 months ago

I played venom pro tonight. I really liked the wireform locks and the fast ball returns. It was however distracting and confusing during multiball leading to a few unintentional drains. Also,I found the exposed circuit boards on the pro locks concerning for potential damage from air balls.

IMG_6338 (resized).jpegIMG_6338 (resized).jpegIMG_6339 (resized).jpegIMG_6339 (resized).jpeg
#231 10 months ago

Do you guys think the LE will start shipping this week?

#232 10 months ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

I played venom pro tonight. I really liked the wireform locks and the fast ball returns. It was however distracting and confusing during multiball leading to a few unintentional drains. Also,I found the exposed circuit boards on the pro locks concerning for potential damage from air balls.

I’m due to release the Venom Canister MOD that will include a wrap around plastics for the ball lock PCB for protection.

#233 10 months ago
Quoted from CRCades:

I’m due to release the Venom Canister MOD that will include a wrap around plastics for the ball lock PCB for protection.

Looking forward to seeing these. I've got a pro on location and would like something to cover that area.

#234 10 months ago

Check out this clock tower that we have been working on. Once we get our pro we will be able to finalize it, but it will look similar to this digital rendering.

IMG-20230917-WA0000.jpgIMG-20230917-WA0000.jpg

#235 10 months ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

I think so from what I’ve heard

#236 10 months ago

I’m in the area at the moment, so made a point to get to the Van Nuys Ayce Gogi last night to put some time on Venom pro, and man, what a blast! Managed to beat Knull (though it wasn’t pretty hah) w/ a 1:12:38.646 speed run time, around level 50-52 if memory serves. Unlocked Venomized Hulk. If the Pro was that fun, absolutely can’t wait until our Premium arrives!

The fast locks are cool, but not quite as impactful as I was expecting, and definitely led to some confusion at various points. They do help to keep the speed flowing, though. Feels like kiiiind of a waste of BOM, but ultimately they’re a win, IMHO. The shots are all very attainable and feel good to hit, and we didn’t experience much of any clunkiness in the horseshoe hitting it from either flipper, so that could have something to do with how the game is setup. The ramps can be deadly if the shot doesn’t make it all the way, and there were a number of times when the ball flew off the center ramp (as well as a number of flipper hops), but again, overall, it felt really nice. Will be very pleased to have this one in the collection, and look forward to the multiple ways to play and to chasing a better speedrun!

#237 10 months ago

Will the song “Venom” by Eminem be in the game?

#238 10 months ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Looking forward to seeing these. I've got a pro on location and would like something to cover that area.

More than just a zip tie?

#239 10 months ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Will the song “Venom” by Eminem be in the game?

Not unless someone adds it with pinbrowser

#240 10 months ago

Played several games on a pro on location this weekend.
I was able understand more about the "mini-modes" they speak about on streams; hitting a yellow-white-blue shot, then it moves to another shot and blinks. Initially I thought it was the same shot.

One concern, and I hope for modders to:
1. definitely something to cover the circuit boards on the sides of the fast locks!
2. the main/center ramp: it let a ball fly off and fall into carnage asylum area, and another ball flew off the same ramp to behind the billboard into the secret lair shot. It seems like it needs a roof that comes out further.

Not sure if this was the flipper power, which I assume was stock, but I've never seen before: the left flipper hit the ball OVER the right sling and the inlane INTO the right outlane! for a drain. !

#241 10 months ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

I was able understand more about the "mini-modes" they speak about on streams; hitting a yellow-white-blue shot, then it moves to another shot and blinks. Initially I thought it was the same shot.
One concern, and I hope for modders to:
1. definitely something to cover the circuit boards on the sides of the fast locks!
2. the main/center ramp: it let a ball fly off and fall into carnage asylum area, and another ball flew off the same ramp to behind the billboard into the secret lair shot. It seems like it needs a roof that comes out further.
Not sure if this was the flipper power, which I assume was stock, but I've never seen before: the left flipper hit the ball OVER the right sling and the inlane INTO the right outlane! for a drain. !

I’ve been watching a lot of the videos people are putting up now that everybody is getting hands on time with pros. Balls are flying off that center ramp in every vid. Definitely needs a fix, but just odd that I didn’t see it happen once in any vids of people playing premiums before these pros hit locations.

#242 10 months ago

Honest question here...

Why would Stern leave an exposed circuit board in any spot, let alone one near a post where chaos will absolutely lend to an eventual airball?

#243 10 months ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Honest question here...
Why would Stern leave an exposed circuit board in any spot, let alone one near a post where chaos will absolutely lend to an eventual airball?

Because they don't care.

#244 10 months ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

The mini-modes are required to light the grid lights (path to the battles) as well as light locks for Mayhem Multiball. Most Host will give you some locks lit when you choose them on ball 1. After that, to light locks, you have to complete Mini-Modes. One Mini-Mode to light the 1st. 2 to light the second, and then it takes 3 mini-modes to light all the locks you want for the rest of the game. If you have already played Mayhem Multiball then Locks will not light until you battle at least one Boss.

#245 10 months ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

I hope so but heard they are shipping international first so we may have another 2-3 week wait. Ugh.

#246 10 months ago

Rubber Schematic PLEASE

Can someone post a screenshot of the rubbers diagram out of the manual? Slip it past the staple folks. Take on for the team!!

Premium Soon, thinking first week of October to me is reasonable expectation.

#247 10 months ago

We just published a written tutorial to the game in its current code state. Take a look if you're wondering how to get started!

https://www.kineticist.co/post/venom-pinball-tutorial

We Are Venom A Guide to Brian Eddy’s Latest Creation (resized).pngWe Are Venom A Guide to Brian Eddy’s Latest Creation (resized).pngvenom pinball noah's strats (resized).pngvenom pinball noah's strats (resized).pngchoosing a host venom pinball (resized).pngchoosing a host venom pinball (resized).pngcarnage multiball (resized).pngcarnage multiball (resized).png
#248 10 months ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

Added black flipper bats and white perfect play rubber from Pinball Life
So much better

This looks SHARP! Nice call! I may have to make the same change when I get mine.

#249 10 months ago

PRO V0.91 - SEPTEMBER 18, 2023
==============================
** FIXED:
- Fixed issue where FLAMETHROWER was sometimes completing BATTLES when it
shouldn't.
- Some HSTD entries where behaving incorrectly.
- You were able to move the skill shot for a few seconds after plunging.
- Scream scoring was not always correct.
- Challenge Mode removed from the GAME PLAY MENU
- HULK SMASH was sometimes collecting the wrong shots.
- HYBRID TEAM UP was sometimes collecting the wrong shots.
- BELL TOWER FRENZY was not displaying its timer value.
- MYSTERY would sometimes not be awarded if something higher priority was
already running.
- If the SELECT TEAM UP user interface was allowed to time out, it was
not actually activating the TEAM UP character.
- Some of the achievements for HULK, CAPTAIN AMERICA and WOLVERINE and
the minor villain BATTLE MODES were not being awarded.
- START was sometimes lit for a Battle when the player had not completed all
the mini-modes that was required.
- TOXIN TEAMUP was sometimes starting when it shouldn't.
- TEAMUP characters HYBRID and SLEEPER were being removed if they were
activated but then unused during a mode.

** NEW:
- Added an adjustment called ALLOW FAST LOCKS. Settings are ALWAYS, NOT IN
COMPETITION GAME, NEVER. The default is ALWAYS.
- Added an adjustment called ALLOW LOCKED BALLS for virtual locks. Settings
are ALWAYS, NOT IN COMPETITION GAME, NEVER. The default is ALWAYS.
- Added PROLONGED COMPETITION to the GAME PLAY MENU. This is the same as
COMPETITION but will keep the game in this state until the game is powered
off or the state is changed. When the game is in PROLONGED COMPETITION
game play mode, it will report this state in the attract mode.
- Added difficulty adjustment for MINI MODES.
- Added difficulty adjustments for all BATTLE MODES.

** TWEAKED:
- Added Sound Test sounds.
- Not using your saved progress from the dialog box will now not restore
your unlocked Host.
- You can now Save/Restore during Impossible Play and Monster play.
- Restoring in any game play mode other than STANDARD, IMPOSSIBLE or
MONSTER will no longer restore your unlocked Host.
- Adjusted the scoring of Scream
- Improved the lamp effect of completing a Mini-Mode.
- Greatly increased the REPLAY values.

PRO V0.90 - SEPTEMBER 4, 2023
=============================
- Initial release.

#250 10 months ago

LEs on the line!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 55.00
Playfield - Plastics
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 169.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 899.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 26.50
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,096 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.