Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Venom or Foo Fighters”

• Venom 90 votes
      38%
    • Foo Fighters 55 votes
      23%
    • Tron 92 votes
      39%

(237 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2023-02-25-14-35-36-45_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    18B3CADE-83E1-4A85-90BF-F3BE50129F29.jpeg
    0A3403A5-BB48-43F6-B026-339D9E775136 (resized).jpeg
    1024px-RIP_FATS_Lower_9th_Ward-1024x768 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FB_IMG_1677099780011 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1677032095138 (resized).jpg
    debbie-harry-on-stage-1970s-3 (resized).jpg
    13ad806611b291198b382482320c48a6 (resized).jpg
    Screen-Shot-2018-09-11-at-8.13.20-AM (resized).png
    Ozzy-Osbourne-makeup-Boing-Boing-2449987079 (resized).png
    th-168663982 (resized).jpg
    boneco-funko-pop-ozzy-osbourne-02-1000x1000-2267415602 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-58-10 Beatles-Rare-Official-Lariat-Tie-on-Original-Card-Seltaeb-1964.jpg (WEBP Image 714 × 2000 pixe
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-54-44 Beatles-Cellophane-Tape-1966.jpg (WEBP Image 840 × 1100 pixels) — Scaled (86%) (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-51-45 Beatles-Ringo-Starr-Bubble-Bath-Doll-Colgate-1965.jpg (WEBP Image 1062 × 3000 pixels) — Scaled
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He just likes to say brilliant things like "The Beatles were a boy band!" or "The Sex Pistols are the same as the Spice Girls" or "Johnny Cash was the first punk rocker" that will shock and outrage anybody who who didn't ready any issues of SPIN in the 1990s.
    It's pointless to resist! Just agree and move on.

What’s that saying… Pot meet Kettle..? Sorry Levi couldn’t resist dude :p

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The Sex Pistols are the same as the Spice Girls" or "Johnny Cash was the first punk rocker"

Don't remember saying any of that, lol

I always think of Iggy as the first punk rocker, but Cash did have a great rebel persona.

The Pistols were assembled kinda like the Spice Girls were, so I guess I can see your point there

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Who gives a shit?

Anyone that loves pop music and it's history.

They even had a few toys for the older teens ....

w46y35zsld931 (resized).jpgw46y35zsld931 (resized).jpg
    #104 1 year ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Foo is next dude…

I gotta go with this.
    Question has been answered.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Beatles were the FIRST boy band.
    You are too young to remember, but they had a Saturday morning TV cartoon, nylon Beatles stockings for little girls, bubblegum trading cards, shampoo, "Ringo Roll" snacks, Beatles bubbles with magic ring, toy bongos, plastic wigs, Beatles perfume for kids
    Don't sell them short on one of their greatest achievements.

I do get what you're saying. They did largely appeal to girls, particularly early on during the mop top era. But I've read a lot of Beatles books and not once did I ever hear them say they had a hand in any of this peripheral stuff. You can probably thank Brian Epstein for that.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Anyone that loves pop music and it's history.
    They even had a few toys for the older teens ....[quoted image]

Obviously shopped but funny

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I do get what you're saying. They did largely appeal to girls, particularly early on during the mop top era. But I've read a lot of Beatles books and not once did I ever hear them say they had a hand in any of this peripheral stuff. You can probably thank Brian Epstein for that.

Luckily for all those impressionable young minds, Batman and Space Ghost came along and killed off those terrible Beatles cartoons.

It's no wonder that so many boomers are brain damaged.

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Obviously shopped but funny

It's listed in the Beatles collector's guide, and guys on Reddit say it sold for $440 last time it went up for auction.

They would absolutely sell anything to their female fans:

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-49-22 Beatles-Carefree-Nylon-Stockings.jpg (WEBP Image 983 × 594 pixels) (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-49-22 Beatles-Carefree-Nylon-Stockings.jpg (WEBP Image 983 × 594 pixels) (resized).png
    #109 1 year ago

Chicks will buy anything, no matter how hideous:

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-51-45 Beatles-Ringo-Starr-Bubble-Bath-Doll-Colgate-1965.jpg (WEBP Image 1062 × 3000 pixels) — ScaledScreenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-51-45 Beatles-Ringo-Starr-Bubble-Bath-Doll-Colgate-1965.jpg (WEBP Image 1062 × 3000 pixels) — Scaled
    #110 1 year ago

Mom, I have to have the Beatles cellophane tape...otherwise how will John know that I love him?????

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-54-44 Beatles-Cellophane-Tape-1966.jpg (WEBP Image 840 × 1100 pixels) — Scaled (86%) (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-54-44 Beatles-Cellophane-Tape-1966.jpg (WEBP Image 840 × 1100 pixels) — Scaled (86%) (resized).png
    #111 1 year ago

The ONLY officially licensed lariat tie of the Beatles !

(I've got to be honest, if I saw a chick showing me all her teeth like that, while wearing a lariat tie, I'd run like hell)
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-58-10 Beatles-Rare-Official-Lariat-Tie-on-Original-Card-Seltaeb-1964.jpg (WEBP Image 714 × 2000 pixeScreenshot 2023-02-21 at 21-58-10 Beatles-Rare-Official-Lariat-Tie-on-Original-Card-Seltaeb-1964.jpg (WEBP Image 714 × 2000 pixe

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The ONLY officially licensed lariat tie of the Beatles !
    (I've got to be honest, if I saw a chick showing me all her teeth like that, while wearing a lariat tie, I'd run like hell)
    [quoted image]

Straight up succubus. Yikes.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't remember saying any of that, lol
    I always think of Iggy as the first punk rocker, but Cash did have a great rebel persona.
    The Pistols were assembled kinda like the Spice Girls were, so I guess I can see your point there

Stooges were a huge influence on many early punk bands. I remember reading in the clash biography, Mic Jones saying that once he heard their first record that all music changed to him from then on.

Funhouse is in my personal top 10.

#114 1 year ago

Foo Fighters! I'll try my hardest to get an LE

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikespins:

Foo Fighters! I'll try my hardest to get an LE

You might not have to try as hard as you think.

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You might not have to try as hard as you think.

It’s not an appealing theme to me.

#117 1 year ago

I cringe when I hear the Beatles being called a boy band. I get why but when I think of boy band I usually think of guys that can sing but have little talent to actually write music or play an instrument.

I'd be all in on a Foo Fighters. I just have no idea where they would go with that theme. Still hoping for Ozzy one day but Sharon would be a nightmare to deal with.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Still hoping for Ozzy one day but Sharon would be a nightmare to deal with.

Why would she be a nightmare? I’ve heard you can’t take the piss with her and won’t take any shit from anyone but I reckon we could get a great ozzy pin but she won’t sign off on stuff for peanuts.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

EVERYONE THAT DISAGREES WITH ME IS A BOOMER

The last FF concert I went to had mostly people in their 30s-50s. So yeah, pretty much boomer mentality with those who don't want FF on average imo. That's not a good or bad thing.

But tbh, when it comes to pinball I don't really care what the theme is. I just want it to shoot well, be fun, etc. I never heard of Avengers in my life before that came out and it's one of my favorite games today. I never saw a Deadpool movie or whatever it is and I freaking love that game! Godzilla was a boomer choice imo, but that game kicks ass too so who cares!

Any game can be awesome with the right design, art, rules, etc. I never heard of a Venom before and I don't know what that is. Super Hero I guess? But I'll be happy to find out.

I think Stern will nail the next two releases, but I'm worried about pricing. I feel that they may have priced out much of the market already. 10k for a premium? Ehh...

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

... I never heard of a Venom before and I don't know what that is. Super Hero I guess?

He's basically Spidermans brother.

I'm with you; good play & rules are what matters.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

I'd be all in on a Foo Fighters. I just have no idea where they would go with that theme.

You could go literally anywhere you want with it. Look at their videos or their movie, they are one of those bands who don't mind doing silly things!

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

You could go literally anywhere you want with it. Look at their videos or their movie, they are one of those bands who don't mind doing silly things!

No idea they had a movie but I’d guess that would make for easier pinball narrative than just a random music pin? Maybe that’s the approach you will see, I’m just glad I have more time to save for a possible venom!

#123 1 year ago

The last FF concert I went to had mostly people in their 30s-50s. So yeah, pretty much boomer mentality with those who don't want FF on average imo. That's not a good or bad thing.
    But tbh, when it comes to pinball I don't really care what the theme is. I just want it to shoot well, be fun, etc. I never heard of Avengers in my life before that came out and it's one of my favorite games today. I never saw a Deadpool movie or whatever it is and I freaking love that game! Godzilla was a boomer choice imo, but that game kicks ass too so who cares!
    Any game can be awesome with the right design, art, rules, etc. I never heard of a Venom before and I don't know what that is. Super Hero I guess? But I'll be happy to find out.
    I think Stern will nail the next two releases, but I'm worried about pricing. I feel that they may have priced out much of the market already. 10k for a premium? Ehh...

I was a fan of marvel comics in the early 90’s and read a ton of them. Loved venom and he was one of my favorites to attempt to draw and copy over and over. I still just can’t care about another marvel pin. I agree though if it shoots good and has decent rules, I’ll like it.

Theme is always secondary to game play for me. If I want high art, I’ll buy a painting.

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

I cringe when I hear the Beatles being called a boy band.

Why???

They were marketed to little girls, and sold more toys and garbage than even KISS. That's not a bad thing.

At the end of their career, they put out a few albums that were musically groundbreaking (even if the critics were not fond of them at the time), cementing George Martin's place in music history.

Think about how much Martin changed music, even when he produced the much harder rocking Cheap Trick :

Cheap Trick - Stop This Game

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from J85M:

No idea they had a movie but I’d guess that would make for easier pinball narrative than just a random music pin? Maybe that’s the approach you will see, I’m just glad I have more time to save for a possible venom!

ASAC_Schrader don't you have porsches to buy instead of downvoting all my posts? PS- you missed one

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Still hoping for Ozzy one day but Sharon would be a nightmare to deal with.

Sharon will put Ozzy onto any piece of crap she can.

Makeup, Snowglobes, Socks, Candy.....

Ozzy-Osbourne-makeup-Boing-Boing-2449987079 (resized).pngOzzy-Osbourne-makeup-Boing-Boing-2449987079 (resized).pngboneco-funko-pop-ozzy-osbourne-02-1000x1000-2267415602 (resized).jpgboneco-funko-pop-ozzy-osbourne-02-1000x1000-2267415602 (resized).jpgth-168663982 (resized).jpgth-168663982 (resized).jpg
    #127 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

ASAC_Schrader don't you have porsches to buy instead of downvoting all my posts? PS- you missed one

What a nozzle.

Studio 666 was a great watch.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What a nozzle.

Yeah the trailer doesn’t look half bad, might have to give that a watch, might even make a decent pin, it’s been a while since we had a pin with s little gore in it from Stern (TWD) plus it would break the mould of being just another straight up music pin.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What a nozzle.

Never knew of this movie before now .Trailer looks good and if they went this route , I might be changing my mind .This would actually be a pretty refreshing twist on a rock pin .I think I was just getting tired of rock pin = concert footage .Will report back after viewing

#130 1 year ago

As far as the concert footage goes ,I’m guessing out of the 6 rock pins I’ve owned this is why I kept IMDN and MET only .

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Never knew of this movie before now .Trailer looks good and if they went this route , I might be changing my mind .This would actually be a pretty refreshing twist on a rock pin .I think I was just getting tired of rock pin = concert footage .Will report back after viewing

There are also Slayer and Motorhead tracks on this movie.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

There are also Slayer and Motorhead tracks on this movie.

Shit now your speaking my tongue .Is it FF covering them or the real deal ?

#133 1 year ago

The movie is pretty amusing, for a campy horror movie. Some good music in the movie as well. Worth a watch.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Shit now your speaking my tongue .Is it FF covering them or the real deal ?

Real deal.

https://ringostrack.com/en/movie/studio-666/120185

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from Capn12:

The movie is pretty amusing, for a campy horror movie. Some good music in the movie as well. Worth a watch.

Completely agree. I found it entertaining. The guys are very likable. If they do a pin I could definitely see them being very involved like the folks from Rush and GNR.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

As far as the concert footage goes ,I’m guessing out of the 6 rock pins I’ve owned this is why I kept IMDN and MET only .

Concert footage lazy as shit agreed.

#137 1 year ago

I think it would be killer to have the Foo Fighters game have a horror theme like Studio 666. You could have it themed sort of like Black Knight. Dave Grohl in demon form in the center. Other members of the band in other lanes. You have to defeat the band and then Grohl. All while playing through song choices you unlock like in JJP's GNR.
    And then, in Wizard mode, you fight Grohl as the Devil like in Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.

Damn, that could be a lot of fun.

#138 1 year ago

I never saw a Deadpool movie or whatever it is and I freaking love that game!

Take the rest of the day off and go watch DP 1 and 2. It's not time wasted.

#139 1 year ago

I never heard of a Venom before and I don't know what that is. Super Hero I guess?

If they stay true to the comics, Venom will make TWD look like WOZ

13ad806611b291198b382482320c48a6 (resized).jpg13ad806611b291198b382482320c48a6 (resized).jpgScreen-Shot-2018-09-11-at-8.13.20-AM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2018-09-11-at-8.13.20-AM (resized).png
    #140 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Beatles were the FIRST boy band.
    You are too young to remember, but they had a Saturday morning TV cartoon, nylon Beatles stockings for little girls, bubblegum trading cards, shampoo, "Ringo Roll" snacks, Beatles bubbles with magic ring, toy bongos, plastic wigs, Beatles perfume for kids
    Don't sell them short on one of their greatest achievements.

We have had this discussion before.

Depends on what your definition of "boy band" is. If used with the perspective of today - they were absolutely NOT a boy band.

How many boy bands wrote/write and performed their own material? How many boy bands write songs for other artists? How many session artists did the Beatles use where boy bands use ALL session musicians? I could go on and on. And their earlier work was groundbreaking as well - not just the LSD/Opiate/Coke inspired later material - in fact I prefer the pre-drug Beatles when they were aggressive and hungry as hell; nobody could touch them live or in the studio.

You only associate the term "boy band" to them due to the merchandising and their popularity, which is a stretch. BTW - Beatlemainia only really lasted one year.

It is your narrative and in the end if doesn't matter what you and I think....and I enjoy your posts.... but your honor - for the record I disagree with your assessment in this matter.

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If they stay true to the comics, Venom will make TWD look like WOZ[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s great art!

I’d be happy with the Venom theme, art & callouts on a Spider-Man vault layout. Probably won’t happen.
    Regardless, Hope Stern knocks it outta the park if it’s made.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Depends on what your definition of "boy band" is. If used with the perspective of today - they were absolutely NOT a boy band.

If you google "first boy band" or "biggest boy band" The Beatles are always on the top of those lists. And that's something to be proud of.

Quoted from Methos:

How many boy bands wrote/write and performed their own material?

The Beatles, The Monkees, The Jackson 5, Hanson, Jonas Brothers, 5 Seconds of Summer...too many to mention really

Quoted from Methos:

How many session artists did the Beatles use...?

Donovan, George Martin, Eric Crapton, Billy Preston, Neil Sanders, Frederick Alexander, James Buck, Freddy Clayton, Gordon Pearce.... probably 100 more if you took out the albums and looked it up

Quoted from Methos:

You only equate the term "boy band" to them due to the merchandising and their popularity.

That, and they were all boys.

----

The Beatles don't deny they were the 1st boy band, why should you?

Relax and let your love for the Fabulous Four flow through you.....

----

(and yes, my favorite Monkees song was actually written by the Monkees)

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you google "first boy band" or "biggest boy band" The Beatles are always on the top of those lists. And that's something to be proud of.

The Beatles, The Monkees, The Jackson 5, Hanson, Jonas Brothers, 5 Seconds of Summer...too many to mention really

Donovan, George Martin, Eric Crapton, Billy Preston, Neil Sanders, Frederick Alexander, James Buck, Freddy Clayton, Gordon Pearce.... probably 100 more if you took out the albums and looked it up

That, and they were all boys.
    ----
    The Beatles don't deny they were the 1st boy band, why should you?
    Relax and let your love for the Fabulous Four flow through you.....
    ----
    (and yes, my favorite Monkees song was actually written by the Monkees)

I loved the Monkees - even met Mickey at a BEATLEFEST in Chicago a few years ago - shared an elevator with him and my family. Surreal.

The only two artists I would acknowledge as session musicans is Eric Clapton and Billy Preston. Eric for one song, Billy for 2 I think. the others - naming the guy who did the French Horn solo in For No One is a stretch as is the orchestras. I'm talking of session musicians like most of their peers used - Herman's Hermits, Beach Boys, etc. How many instruments did The Backstreet Boys plan on their records? Or The New Kids? Or Take That? Or the latest K-pop group?

If anything Vid - they were the first punk band. They swore on stage, spit, cursed, pissed in the corner, wore leather jackets, took uppers, and fucked girls in the back during the breaks in Hamburg. They were the Pistols before the Pistols were.

#144 1 year ago

Whatever you think of NSYNC Justin Timberlake is one of the most talented mofos out there. I think it's silly to get hung up on boy band somehow meaning no-talent hacks who are just faces for marketing.

#145 1 year ago

Ok I think we've allowed vid to beat this one into the ground. Again.

May I suggest the following topics:

Elvis was a hack who stole it all from black folks
    Milli Vanilli: reconsidered
    Deborah Harry invented hip hop
    U2, the beatles, and Stones are all overrated
    GG Allin is underrated

#146 1 year ago

MV: reconsidered for $200 Alex.

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok I think we've allowed vid to beat this one into the ground. Again.
    May I suggest the following topics:
    Elvis was a hack who stole it all from black folks
    Milli Vanilli: reconsidered
    U2, the beatles, and Stones are all overrated
    GG Allin is underrated

Machine Gun Kelly saving rock n rock

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Machine Gun Kelly saving rock n rock

Oh yeah that's a good one.

I bet there's lots of google image searches that can provide evidence for this, and he's gonna use it!!

Also, did you know the Stones had a #1 song in 2020?!?!?!?!*

Fascinating stuff!!!

*Bulgaria Adult Mainstream Rock Radio chart

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

How many instruments did The Backstreet Boys plan on their records? Or The New Kids? Or Take That? Or the latest K-pop group?

How many instruments did Elvis play?

That does not keep him from being the all time king of rock n roll.

Quit hating on everyone. BTS is great entertainment. That's all they need be

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

C'mon you can do better, that's lazy posting.

How about "Deborah Harry, first White female rapper evah" ?
    debbie-harry-on-stage-1970s-3 (resized).jpgdebbie-harry-on-stage-1970s-3 (resized).jpg

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/venom-or-foo-fighters/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.