Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 289 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by chuckcasey
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Venom by Stern Pinball? Choose all that apply:”

• Yes, I’m interested. 83 votes
      22%
    • No, not interested. 161 votes
      42%
    • Day One LE buyer 25 votes
      7%
    • I’ll just play on location 58 votes
      15%
    • Sony movie version 7 votes
      2%
    • Marvel comic version 47 votes
      12%

(381 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A5AC4EF2-F8C1-4D58-BB4B-BA8874C699C6 (resized).jpeg
    everlong.jpeg
    5ffd5dc00e82f02db54b9d66389f4021 (resized).jpg
    Eminem-Curtain-Call-2-Greatest-Hits (resized).jpg
    399ED03D-076C-41BB-94A7-55DDBC25C12F (resized).jpeg
    61BvT+xlSzL.jpg
    1__OTucWGzNjMeNaebauEXHw[1] (resized).jpeg
    D4B5F090-4F5C-4061-8964-C042B9E94269 (resized).jpeg
    B6FACD0C-441B-4699-8184-CCFCDFE324A9 (resized).jpeg
    89C750F7-26EB-40FA-B97B-A27DD73C6B20 (resized).jpeg
    20211110_183201 (resized).jpg
    549EC363-575F-4FFC-88BC-929254CECC4D (resized).jpeg
    salad (resized).png
    59B7743F-1B02-4692-AAED-4B7E8311DA0B.gif
    images (2) (resized).jpeg
    images (3) (resized).jpeg
    There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Acronymicon:

Are these worth anything?
    I have like 10 in a box somewhere at my parents place.

My friend is really into comic market, he had me get this one graded. He thinks they're going to be worth more when the new movies drop. Not graded is worth significantly less and it takes months to get it done.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

My friend is really into comic market, he had me get this one graded. He thinks they're going to be worth more when the new movies drop. Not graded is worth significantly less and it takes months to get it done.

I think CGC is approaching almost a full year for wait times if you don't do the rush option.

Amazing spiderman 300 is the money venom book. Venom 1s if in a 9.8 will get anywhere from $150-$200.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

I think CGC is approaching almost a full year for wait times if you don't do the rush option.
    Amazing spiderman 300 is the money venom book. Venom 1s if in a 9.8 will get anywhere from $150-$200.

89C750F7-26EB-40FA-B97B-A27DD73C6B20 (resized).jpeg89C750F7-26EB-40FA-B97B-A27DD73C6B20 (resized).jpeg
    #104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Was that the thing with Knull? I don't read comics anymore but I do run across news here and there. Look interesting.

King in Black

#105 2 years ago

Somewhat surprised that Stern gave Venom his own title. He’s not a B-tier character by any means, but the average Joe might look at Venom and say “why does Spider-Man have rabies?”

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Somewhat surprised that Stern gave Venom his own title. He’s not a B-tier character by any means, but the average Joe might look at Venom and say “why does Spider-Man have rabies?”

Venom is better known than a lot of people realise, why do you think Sony screwed up Spider-Man 3 by forcing Raimi to include Venom above all else. The venom movie taking in 900mil at the box office shows strong market awareness and having Marvel tagged on anything these days helps.

Deadpool worked for similar reasons the movies boosted the casual awareness and hopefully Stern approach this similar to Deadpool but go a little deeper since they have a full development cycle on this one unlike Deadpools rushed development

#107 2 years ago

When it comes to Marvel themes, Venom is one of the coolest there could be IMO. When I heard it was going to be another Marvel theme I was like, cool another game I can pass over like Avengers IQ because I just simply don't care. Venom would actually be a pretty bad ass theme though.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I got my topper ready!
    [quoted image]

This will be my topper. GPA values it above a new Stern LE

B6FACD0C-441B-4699-8184-CCFCDFE324A9 (resized).jpegB6FACD0C-441B-4699-8184-CCFCDFE324A9 (resized).jpeg
    #109 2 years ago

Before Deadpool took off in the last decade, Venom was one of the more popular go-to edgy characters, especially for anyone who grew up with the 90's Spider-Man animated series. Great choice by Stern, hope they go with the comic-themed route as that will be less restrictive on Stern creatively. Also hope Marvel takes the shackles off the license like they did with Deadpool. Throw Carnage in as well. Yeti will be amazing on the art.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

K is nothing but a tool

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from speederice:

Before Deadpool took off in the last decade, Venom was one of the more popular go-to edgy characters, especially for anyone who grew up with the 90's Spider-Man animated series. Great choice by Stern, hope they go with the comic-themed route as that will be less restrictive on Stern creatively. Also hope Marvel takes the shackles off the license like they did with Deadpool. Throw Carnage in as well. Yeti will be amazing on the art.

Agree it needs Carnage and Spider-Man wouldn’t hurt as an ally - similar to boosts in Deadpool. Speaking of the 90s animated series I would love Stern to grab the 90s voice actors for spidey, venom and carnage his voice actor was great!

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from KadeP:

This will be my topper. GPA values it above a new Stern LE
    [quoted image]

Nice! I sold a 9.4 and a 9.0 of those this year and kept an extra that I’m planning to get graded. Ha I funded all my pins from selling comics this year.

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Nice! I sold a 9.4 and a 9.0 of those this year and kept an extra that I’m planning to get graded. Ha I funded all my pins from selling comics this year.

Same here, I sold some original artwork and a few books to fund a CCr.

#114 2 years ago

I'm kind of burnt out on Marvel pins, but even more so on Brian Eddy if that rumor is true.

I'm cool with Stranger things, it decent, but it could have been designed better. The left shot that just kicks the ball out at the drops and then the right orbit/lane that feeds into the pops and then back down....really? How did Gomez look at that layout give it a green light?

Mandalorian....don't get me started on that one. Just a terribly designed pin. If you've played it, you know what I'm talking about. Owners will try to defend it. I had an LE and couldn't defend it. It's just a bad layout and design. On the other hand, the code, callouts, video, sound, and lights are all awesome.

Brian Eddy's magic was all used up in the Bally/Williams days. He's running on empty now.

Bring on the downvotes.

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Bring on the downvotes.

Nope. Agree on Mando.
    A magnet, to lanes, to pops away from the flippers certainly did not add to the gameplay experience.
    Great looking game otherwise.

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I'm kind of burnt out on Marvel pins, but even more so on Brian Eddy if that rumor is true.
    I'm cool with Stranger things, it decent, but it could have been designed better. The left shot that just kicks the ball out at the drops and then the right orbit/lane that feeds into the pops and then back down....really? How did Gomez look at that layout give it a green light?
    Mandalorian....don't get me started on that one. Just a terribly designed pin. If you've played it, you know what I'm talking about. Owners will try to defend it. I had an LE and couldn't defend it. It's just a bad layout and design. On the other hand, the code, callouts, video, sound, and lights are all awesome.
    Brian Eddy's magic was all used up in the Bally/Williams days. He's running on empty now.
    Bring on the downvotes.

You are right on mando. Don't know if Eddy is done. But layout is basic stuff. Middle shot to quick mb =rediculous. Static grogu is lamest junk ever 3 year old Star wars is the better game.

#117 2 years ago

Venom as a theme seems like a decent choice to me. If Stern does release a Venom pin and the gameplay is good enough, I would consider buying it.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Agree it needs Carnage and Spider-Man wouldn’t hurt as an ally - similar to boosts in Deadpool. Speaking of the 90s animated series I would love Stern to grab the 90s voice actors for spidey, venom and carnage his voice actor was great!

Would be cool to have a little Ghost Rider in there, a la the Spirits of Venom series of books from back in the early days.

1 week later
    #119 2 years ago

What are the guesses for the focal mech in this? JP has the trex, DP the katana, and with godzilla they look to be stepping up on this front. If it is Eddy then a sculpted bash toy is possible but almost too expected. Maybe venom eats balls ala Alien and subways them someplace else?

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Bring on the downvotes.

You can easily adjust the scoop to fire it into and around the burn it back loop and it’s an awesome shit. The right shot to pops sucks tho

#121 2 years ago

Pinhead:“Hey everyone, come around my house and play my new Venom pin”

Friend:“WTF is that?”

Pinhead:“It’s some really cool, obscure, underground, dark, secret Marvel character, one of the best….”

Friend:“ I’m embarrassed, never heard of it. Sounds like a C-list character to me.

Pinhead:” oh no, on the contrary, it’s really well known, awesome and really scary”

Friend: “ When you getting Superman?”

Pinhead: “ermmmm”

#122 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Pinhead:“It’s some really cool, obscure, underground, dark, secret Marvel character, one of the best….”
    Friend:“ I’m embarrassed, never heard of it. Sounds like a C-list character to me.
    Pinhead:” oh no, on the contrary, it’s really well known, awesome and really scary”

I get what you are saying, but Venom is really not quite that obscure. He's been a main character in 3 pretty big movies now (Spiderman 3, and two of his own), with more to come, including likely being brought into the MCU soon.

#123 2 years ago

We obviously haven’t seen the pin yet, but it will be interesting to see how a Venom sells. Will LEs sell out instantly? I’m not sure. Will people be so enthralled with the pin to throw down some cash and wait a year to get one? To me, it seems unlikely.

I get there are Venom movies and the character is somewhat known, but, unless the pin is amazing, I can’t imagine that many people care about a Venom pin.

To be honest, I could care less about Rush as well, but I think I’d rather have Rush over Venom and I own an AIQ and really enjoy the Marvel universe.

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Wtf Venom isn't obscure at all lol. Pretty much if you know anything at all about spider man, you know about Venom.

#125 2 years ago

Anyone that doesn't understand the role Venom plays in the Spider-Verse didn't ever read the comics. Venom is not obscure or vague. He is an anti-hero/anti-villain. He is the ultimate "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" conundrum for Spiderman. Also, Venom was created by a fan of the comics which is cool. Venom and Eddie Brock also present an obvious good vs evil all in one story which can swing from funny to serious overtly. Deadpool is all comedy where Venom switches back and forth from comedy to serious many times.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from hiker2099:

Anyone that doesn't understand the role Venom plays in the Spider-Verse didn't ever read the comics.

Correct, that's what we're talking aboot. No one is doubting Spider-man fans know whom Venom is

#127 2 years ago

Venom is massive. His merchandise sells like crazy.

#128 2 years ago

Man….
    I thought this thread was for the black metal band
    D4B5F090-4F5C-4061-8964-C042B9E94269 (resized).jpegD4B5F090-4F5C-4061-8964-C042B9E94269 (resized).jpeg
    Not this lame ass comic book shit

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Correct, that's what we're talking aboot. No one is doubting Spider-man fans don;t know whom Venom is

You don't have to be a "fan", its not deep lore. I bet you could show anyone age 8-35 a picture of venom and ask who it is and 95% of them would know its venom.
    If you ever heard about anything that ever happened in spider man comics even casually you know venom. If you ever watched the spiderman cartoon growing up you know venom. If you ever saw or heard about the 3rd Raimi movie you know Venom. If you ever watched TV in the past few years you saw advertisments for the Venom movie and you know Venom. Even if you don't know Venom by name, I guarantee you've walked past a sign, ad, magazine, ect and saw the black guy with sharp teeth and big mouth. Venom is a huge pop culture figure. I guess if the last thing you paid attention to was Matlock or something then you might not know venom, but the huge majority of people know Venom. Hes easily as well known as Deadpool, and for years was far far more well known than Deadpool until they made the hugely successful Deadpool movies.

#130 2 years ago

Anyone know how to get on the list for a Venom LE now?

#131 2 years ago

Being born in ‘84, Venom was a big deal in my childhood.
    I’m super stoked for this pin. I’m hoping it can capture some of the Deadpool vibe.
    I like Eddys stuff, just hoping for more flow than Mando.
    I like how the comic pins give a wider variety of modes and creative content. That said, AIQ is kind of soulless so we’ll just see.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

You don't have to be a "fan", its not deep lore....

Its obvious to me as well.

#133 2 years ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Anyone know how to get on the list for a Venom LE now?

Call a few distributors whom have waiting lists and ask to be placed on a Venom LE list.

#134 2 years ago

I hope they get the Eminem song.

#135 2 years ago

I know this is going to get some hate.... What if they are doing a symbiote version of the game? In the comics, Venom bonded with a ton of different characters: Anne Weying, Groot, Deadpool, Scorpion, Peter Parker, Eddie Brock, a T-Rex, Ghost Rider, and Flash Thompson. Maybe they will all be in the pin? Maybe Scarlet Spider will get an appearance.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from hiker2099:

I know this is going to get some hate.... What if they are doing a symbiote version of the game? In the comics, Venom bonded with a ton of different characters: Anne Weying, Groot, Deadpool, Scorpion, Peter Parker, Eddie Brock, a T-Rex, Ghost Rider, and Flash Thompson. Maybe they will all be in the pin? Maybe Scarlet Spider will get an appearance.

That's the beauty of using a character's comic licence instead of the movie licence. Certainly gives you more creative freedom & material to pull from. Can you imagine a Todd McFarland art package? Black Symbiote web armor. That would be petty bad ass.

But since this is an Eddy game, I hate to say I'm expecting another fan layout with more appealing, easy-to-grasp code focused on novice players. Fingers crossed he goes "Shadow" on this design, but who knows. Based on the track record recently I'm not expecting much.

#137 2 years ago

Would be interested in a comic book version somewhere down the line, I really like the theme - but no FOMO on this on any pin coming out for me

#138 2 years ago

Been a huge venom fan since his introduction in the mid-late 80's. Have a shit ton of his comics still as well as cards. I have a feeling stern will not do this title justice.

#139 2 years ago

I actually think that people will overlook this one and could turn out to be real special just like DEADPOOL ohh wait where does that one rank hmmmmm

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

I actually think that people will overlook this one and could turn out to be real special just like DEADPOOL ohh wait where does that one rank hmmmmm

That's a pretty good point..I got a nib DPLE 14 months after release below msrp! Imagine

#141 2 years ago

I hope that if they make a venom pin, it’s the movie version. From the venom movie and not Spider-Man 3.

#142 2 years ago

I have no opinion on the theme other than it could be great it could be trash but man you guys really want to think people love comics as much as you. Spider-Man is a household name like Coca-Cola, venom is not. I literally just asked my seven coworkers and 1…ONE kinda knew who venom is. “Black Spider-Man??”

#143 2 years ago

If it’s Brian Eddy then I’m in!

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gamemodder:

I hope that if they make a venom pin, it’s the movie version. From the venom movie and not Spider-Man 3.

The rumor comes from "He who shall not be named" and he says that it is the comic book version of the character, not the movie version.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Wtf Venom isn't obscure at all lol. Pretty much if you know anything at all about spider man, you know about Venom.

Yeah but I know about all kinds of things that don’t make the best sense for a pin. Knowing about something doesn’t seem to be a test with the greatest standards.

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from C_Presley:

I have no opinion on the theme other than it could be great it could be trash but man you guys really want to think people love comics as much as you. Spider-Man is a household name like Coca-Cola, venom is not. I literally just asked my seven coworkers and 1…ONE kinda knew who venom is. “Black Spider-Man??”

Do they know who Deadpool is? They’re both pretty mainstream anti-hero characters. Are your co-workers shielded from pop culture? They Amish or something?

Anyway, this is the same thing I’ll say to the people who don’t get Rush as a theme. It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t appeal to EVERYONE. It only has to appeal to a few thousand people who love that theme to be a pinball success. Comic book/Venom fans are in the pinball demographic. It’ll do fine.

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Are you interested in a rumored Venom by Stern??
    **Kaneda was the first to report that it’s the next title after Rush? I have heard the same from a couple sources too-
    What are your thoughts?
    If the rumor is true, would you prefer the Sony movie version or a comic based version?
    [quoted image]

I dont know who this Kaneda guy is, but Im all in on a premium Venom Comic!

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t appeal to EVERYONE. It only has to appeal to a few thousand people who love that theme to be a pinball success. Comic book/Venom fans are in the pinball demographic. It’ll do fine.

This is correct.

Pinball demographic is mostly men in their 40's and 50's. There will be demand from this group.

#149 2 years ago

Heard the rumor about Venom a few weeks ago, and I'm a nobody. But.. congrats to him for podcasting what many people already knew.

As for Venom. More comics or movie pins is the norm unfortunately.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Bring on the downvotes.

Man.. couple posts of bashing pinball games again. STh and Mando are the favorite games in my collection for the casual players (aka friends). My son and I enjoy more challenging games, but love us some Mando and STh. Not sure what pinball games pass as worthy anymore. So many negative comments. At least u appreciated some of the game. Shame u sold your LE, the new code on our pro is outstanding bang for the buck. But as an LE buyer, it may be difficult to please you. I just realized how terrible almost half my collection is according to some of you.

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from C_Presley:

Its nice that you work at Joanne fabrics

Quoted from Krupps4:

Yeah but I know about all kinds of things that don’t make the best sense for a pin. Knowing about something doesn’t seem to be a test with the greatest standards.

Venom comic makes great sense for a pin though. At least if you think x-men, deadpool, avengers IQ, spiderman VE, hulk, superman, ect all made sense to make a pin out of.

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/venom-by-stern-pinball/page/3?hl=horse_cop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.