1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EJS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hello all,

Does anyone here have experience vending pinball machines (buying pinball machines and placing them in various locations, such as bars, bowling alleys, etc. and collecting the profits)? I'm thinking of doing so with a few machines myself. I would like to know more about your experiences doing so. How would I get started? Is this something that can be done as a full time operation, or just a side thing at best? Is it best to buy machines new or used, and where do you buy the machines from? What is the average annual ROI you get on each machine? How much time do you spend doing it (time spent collecting the change from each money and other necessary tasks)? What is the profit split between you and the retail location?

Also, I know nothing about repairs. Is it easy to find technicians to hire to help repair machines? How often do machines get to the point where they are in need of repair?

Thanks a bunch!

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dn310:

Hello all,
    Does anyone here have experience vending pinball machines (buying pinball machines and placing them in various locations, such as bars, bowling alleys, etc. and collecting the profits)? I'm thinking of doing so with a few machines myself. I would like to know more about your experiences doing so. How would I get started? Is this something that can be done as a full time operation, or just a side thing at best? Is it best to buy machines new or used, and where do you buy the machines from? What is the average annual ROI you get on each machine? How much time do you spend doing it (time spent collecting the change from each money and other necessary tasks)? What is the profit split between you and the retail location?
    Also, I know nothing about repairs. Is it easy to find technicians to hire to help repair machines? How often do machines get to the point where they are in need of repair?
    Thanks a bunch!

It's called "routing" and if you don't know how to fix games it's probably not a good idea.

#3 1 year ago

If you can't fix them yourself you'll either break even or lose money hiring techs, and you'll eventually end up with exacerbated wear and tear on your games. Don't do it.

#4 1 year ago

operating pinball machines is a very specialized service. it requires extensive knowledge and experience with all the things you just asked about, plus many others. and in addition to the long learning curve, it then requires dedication, time, patience, technical know-how, a lot of upfront capital, connections in the service industry, and lastly, passion if you want to be great at it. i'm not saying you or anyone else can't do it. but the question you just posed is tantamount to asking if we know what it takes to become a head chef at a 5-star restaurant, even though you have no idea how to cook. oh, and how often does food spoil??

i'd recommend asking an established operator for a job, or to take you under their wing as an apprentice. get your feet wet, before you try to dive in.

#5 1 year ago

Make sure you are insured!!

#6 1 year ago

Why do you want to do this, of all
    things, out of the blue? Are you interested in pinball or is this just a business idea? If the latter, almost anything else is probably an easier way to make some money. Or some other kind of vending. Sorry if I seem discouraging, but it’s a really tough way to go if you are starting from little experience or knowledge.

#7 1 year ago

Based on the questions you are asking you aren’t close to ready.

Better to find this out now than after investing $30,000 in equipment for a small route (or one location) while having your head under a playfield trying to learn how to fix something that could cost more than the quarters sitting in the cash box while a customer comes up to you asking what’s wrong and proceeds to tell you about their favorite game and their life story.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vending-pinball-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.