Topic Stats

• 2,567 posts
  • 809 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 minutes ago by king_pin
  • Topic is favorited by 187 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.55?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.35?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wiki List Posted by MrSanRamon (11 years ago)

Post #2024 Multimorphic size & weight diagram Posted by Hi-Fi (1 year ago)

Post #2199 How to measure your vehicle. Posted by MrSanRamon (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrsanramon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Don't know if this has been posted on Pinside before (the search function on Pinside sucks); if it has I apologize.

Go to this site and put in any info you have about vehicles and whether a pinball machine fits or not.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vehicles_for_Moving_Pinball_Machines

It will give a single location where people can go to find out this info.

Robert

key words: vehicle, transport, fits in, carry, pinball transport, cars pinballs fit in

#10 11 years ago

Well, I should have been more clear; sorry.

if you don't have a PinWiki account already. get one and then log in.

Then just above the title, there will be a series of tabs, and one that says "edit".

Go to the edit tab and add the info about your vehicle.

Thanks.

Robert

#20 11 years ago

This is good info, hope everyone is editing the PinWiki info.

Robert

#24 11 years ago

Can anyone confirm that a pin won't fit (without taking the head off) in Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2005 and up?

Robert

#33 11 years ago

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that a pin will fit in a 2011 Grand Cherokee?

I measured one, didn't have a pin in my pocket, and it measures that one should fit, with the head folded.

Just looking for some first hand knowledge.

Robert

#40 11 years ago

Anyone have any 2011 Grand Cherokee knowledge?

Robert

#44 11 years ago

Well I tried tonight and was able to get a BSD in the back of a 2011 grand Cherokee. It was a loaner I got from a local dealer.

It's a standard version, so I don't know if options change anything.

It has about 30 1/4 inch vertical clearance carpet to opening bottom; giving about 1/2 inch clearance with the BSD head.

Don't know about other games/manufacturers, but apparently a Williams WPC does fit.

Robert

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Well I tried tonight and was able to get a BSD in the back of a 2011 grand Cherokee.

To those that PM'd me, the BSD coin slots were toward the rear door.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

No one uses tape measures anymore?

Tape measure is only good for obvious sizes, like the opening is 27" or 35". If the opening is notionally just slightly larger than the pinball measurement...and the floor is sloped, or there is a lip on the door area, or some other feature; then the tape measure method is not acceptable.

Robert

#48 11 years ago

Someone PM's me asking how I got the machine in the Jeep...here was my response:

2 people, though I could have done it myself...with some risk.

Pulled the back end of the BSD up to the back of the jeep, rotated it so 1 back leg was right at the back plastic bumper.

Took that leg off and then lifted that corner into the back of the jeep about 3".

Took the other back leg off and lifted that end into the jeep and rotated the machine so it aligned.

Pushed the machine in until the front legs were just off the back end of the jeep.

Removed both front legs.

Pushed the machine the rest of the way in

Closed the rear gate.

I had a piece of cardboard down on the carpet. If you have one of these jeeps, I suggest getting a sheet of Formica and cutting it to fit.

It's thin, and will allow the pin to slide easily...there isn't enough space to roll the machine on dowels or sprinkler pipe.

Robert

8 months later
    #60 11 years ago
    Quoted from arizonabuck:

What's the tallest height dimension of a typical pin legs off and backbox down?

Don't know of any database with that info.

Every manufacturer appears to be slightly different, and different pins within a manufactures line varied too.

Robert

10 months later
    #83 10 years ago

To fit most games, one needs ABOUT, 24 inches horizontal clearance, 30 1/2 inches vertical clearance and 60 inches depth at the opening; the opening is usually smaller than the interior.

Robert

1 month later
    #86 10 years ago

Since there have been a lot of questions recently, I thought I'd resurrect this thread...please add any info you have here.

Thanks.

Robert

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

What about a 2014 Explorer?

Well, it's a fifth generation...so all of them should be the same...right?

Robert

1 year later
    #194 9 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Anyone know if a 2015 Jeep Cherokee will fit a pin? Not the grand, just the regular Cherokee.

I don't know...as a pin barely (~0.25" to 0.5") fits in my 2012 GC.

Robert

3 months later
    #243 8 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

2002 jeep cherokee confirmed.

Yes...1999 thru 2004 fit a game. 2005 thru 2010 don't due to not enough vertical clearance...unless you remove the head. 2011 thru at least 2012 and probably 2015 will fit a game, but there is not a lot of vertical clearance.

Robert

2 months later
    #270 8 years ago
    Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
    So close... But not quite

One big bump & it's in the street.

Robert

#272 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

How bad would it to transport a pin on its side?

Probably a good chance that the graphics would get f'd up.

Robert

1 week later
    #277 8 years ago

My 2012 fits a pin..barley, so I'd guess a '15 would too.

Robert

#280 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Thanks Robert. I think I will measure to be sure before I buy though. Chris

The issue is distance from the plastic piece in the floor to the plastic piece at the top...the door interface strip that is inside.

The measurement isn't exact as the top of the door is forward of the bottom of the door on the Jeep GC.

So the measurement is made from the top of the bottom piece to a point in space directly above it (vertical) in line with the bottom of the top piece. If you measure on the slant, the measurement will be larger than the opening.

Robert

5 months later
    #321 8 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

First hand in 2011 Grand Cherokee yesterday. Bummer!

Yes, for the Grand Cherokee...the 1999 - 2004 work and the 2011 & up work, but the 2005 - 2010 don't.

Robert

#322 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Slightly off-topic ... anyone have a good solution for sliding a pin easily in and out of our pin haulers?

I use a sheet of marlite (turned so I slide on the backside)...a sheet of luan or other thin material would work too. That type of material is thin, so it doesn't increase the game height appreciably for those that have "just enough" clearance to slide in a game.

It is also a lot more rugged than cardboard which almost always tears when you push in the game, as 1 corner usually digs in.

The only downside is that it is relatively slick, so don't accelerate or stop too quickly or the game will slide.

Robert

2 months later
    #345 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

so does anyone know the minimum height requirement for a pin?

The 2011 thru 2016 Grand Cherokee will fit an original Spiderman pin...barley.

Don't have the measurements for the other pinball manufacturers versions. You'd have to fold down a few backboxes and do a measurement.

The real issue is the "floor" to rear hatch distance. This measurement is further complicated by the plastic lip on the floor of the SUV and its relationship with the bottom of the hatch.

Robert

1 month later
    #384 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

To fit most games, one needs ABOUT, 24 inches horizontal clearance, 30 1/2 inches vertical clearance and 60 inches depth at the opening; the opening is usually smaller than the interior.

The easiest way to determine fit is to measure on some of these vehicles.

Just remember is you put anything under the game to help slide it in or if there is a lip at the bottom end of floor (and every SUV I've seen has one) that takes up space too.

So a rule of thumb (I use) is that a straight bottom of vehicle floor and the top opening of the roof the measurement needs to be 31 inches minimum. No guarantees, but if you have this space, a game should fit easily without loosing and sliding the head.

Robert

1 year later
    #841 5 years ago

Opening Needed (resized).jpgOpening Needed (resized).jpg

The space needed for most pinball games is about 31 inches. My 2012 Grand Cherokee has 30.75" clearance and a Stern Spiderman just fits...probably an 1/8" clearance if I remember correctly.

The issue with the 31" measurement is the lip at the bottom of the opening. In my Jeep, the lip is about 1/4" above the floor, but in some vehicles it can be an inch high.

What makes this measurement tricky is that the lip is usually not directly below the opening edge at the top. So measuring at an angle (lip to top) gives a deceiving number, that is this measurement is larger than the actual opening.

If it's important to be able to put a pinball in the back and the opening is about 31", some consideration needs to be taken in the height of the lip above the floor and where the lip is in relation to the opening edge at the top.

Remember that the pinball game needs to ride on the lip while it slides into the back, and it only drops down to floor level after it passes the lip. In my experience, it's the last 2 or 3 inches of sliding the game in when the game is still on the lip and the head is starting to approach the opening edge at the top.

Robert

1 month later
    #856 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Can anyone verify newer Sterns will fit in a 2016-2018 Ford Edge? Thinking of getting one. I see pics earlier in the thread of Bally/Williams titles just barely fitting and rubbing the roof at the backbox latch. In my experience Sterns are a little tighter in our current Equinox, soooo....

Some info here...

Robert

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tq=edge&tu=

#861 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Anyone have and recommendations?

A V-8 (5,7L, 360 Hp & 390 ft-lb torque) Grand Cherokee can hold a pin and haul 7000#...and probably be at least $10k less than the BMW.

Robert

2 weeks later
    #877 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cherga:

Hey all, great thread... Has it been determined yet if the 2011+ Durango can move 2 pins? Thanks!

Go to the top of the page and click on the "Find in Topic" line. Then enter "Durango".

You will be rewarded... I hope.

Robert

#879 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cherga:

Thanks - Did that prior to my question... I saw an arcade and pin fit but also saw a couple others with the same questions as mine - Doesn't look like it's been answered.

I think that the dimensions of the 2011 thru present are identical for the 3rd generation Durango.

Someone moved 2 in a 2015, so more than likely you can in a 2011 too, depending on the machine...as they are a bit different. Probably can't move 2 wide bodies.

Robert

3 months later
    #933 5 years ago
    Quoted from dondon4720:

the vehicles they are about 8,000 if you get one through them

That's a lot of van or trailer rental fees!

Robert

1 month later
    #950 5 years ago

To those new to this thread, to find out about a specific vehicle, go to near the top of this web page (on the right hand side).

Locate the search engine called "Find in Topic". It's about 4-inches from the top of this page.

In the box "Posts Containing Key Word(s)", enter the vehicle you are interested in...and hit enter

Robert

4 months later
    #1096 4 years ago

To those wanting to know about a certain vehicle, it may already be in this thread.

So to find out if info on a vehicle exists:

1. Go to the top of the page and click on the "Find in Topic" line.
    2. Then enter "your vehicle"
    3. Hit "Find"

You may be rewarded...

Robert

#1097 4 years ago

The space needed for most pinball games is about 31 inches. My 2012 Grand Cherokee has 30.75" clearance and a Stern Spiderman just fits...probably an 1/8" clearance if I remember correctly.

The issue with the 31" measurement is the lip at the bottom of the opening. In my Jeep, the lip is about 1/4" above the floor, but in some vehicles it can be an inch high.

What makes this measurement tricky is that the lip is usually not directly below the opening edge at the top. So measuring at an angle (lip to top) gives a deceiving number, that is this measurement is larger than the actual opening.

If it's important to be able to put a pinball in the back and the opening is about 31", some consideration needs to be taken in the height of the lip above the floor and where the lip is in relation to the opening edge at the top.

Remember that the pinball game needs to ride on the lip while it slides into the back, and it only drops down to floor level after it passes the lip. In my experience, it's the last 2 or 3 inches of sliding the game in when the game is still on the lip and the head is starting to approach the opening edge at the top.

Robert

689264cd9bf4c21513223318bb763da96aaaf33e (resized).jpg689264cd9bf4c21513223318bb763da96aaaf33e (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1115 4 years ago
    Quoted from FtrMech:

pick up a sheet of Masonite from Home Depot

That’s what I have used for years. The only issue is that I need to be careful acceleration and braking as the game can slide on the Masonite.

Robert

1 month later
    #1144 4 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It fits.[quoted image]

That has a big lip in the rear area!

Robert

8 months later
    #1374 4 years ago

I re-post this occasionally for information as people sometimes don't want to read through pages and pages of posts:

Robert

9d5df8fb3108100311b68e787a8c4baf6884ca6e (resized).jpg9d5df8fb3108100311b68e787a8c4baf6884ca6e (resized).jpg

#1375 4 years ago

I re-post this for info too:

To those new to this thread, to find out about a specific vehicle, go to near the top of this web page (on the right hand side).

Locate the search engine called "Find in Topic". It's about 4-inches from the top of this page.

In the box "Posts Containing Key Word(s)", enter the vehicle you are interested in...and hit enter

Robert

2 months later
    #1401 3 years ago

I re-post this for info too:
    Robert

#1402 3 years ago

I re-post this occasionally for information as people sometimes don't want to read through pages and pages of posts:
    Robert

0B265430-DEDE-4086-AF0A-5B8E48BA7C56 (resized).jpeg0B265430-DEDE-4086-AF0A-5B8E48BA7C56 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
    #1501 3 years ago

Robert

5 months later
    #1613 3 years ago

Robert

#1614 3 years ago

To those wanting to know about a certain vehicle, it may already be in this thread.
    3. Hit "Find"
    You may be rewarded...
    Robert

3 months later
    #1692 2 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

MrSanRamon not sure how to edit that page but want to report that I have fit almost every make pinball machine (with the sole exception of Data East) into my 2005 Lexus RX330

Not entirely clear on what page you are referring to?

Robert

#1696 2 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

The actual Wiki page. Your initial post said to edit it.

If you have a pinwiki account, you can edit info in it.

I entered you info ( check it).

Robert

8 months later
    #1833 2 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

What is your ideal transport suggestion

I very rarely move a pinball game and when I do there is almost no time that I wanted to move 2 at the same time. It has happened, but only once I think.

When I looked at the cost of a vehicle, maintenance/repair and license...one would have to haul a lot of pinball games to make it cost effective, like a pinball business owner.

So, I just bought a Grand Cherokee that I use as my daily driver and trip vehicle and the occasional pinball mover. Sure, It can only haul 1 game at a time, but that's really enough for me. If The game is further than 3 hours away, I'd probably have someone bring it to me or not buy it since I can't see it first hand.

If I really want to move a couple of games, I'd either borrow a pickup or rent a van/pickup at Avis. For me I can get a full size pickup or van for about $160 for ~3 days. So I can do a lot of rentals for the cost of a vehicle.

Robert

#1846 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

My suggestion would be a small enclosed trailer with a drop down rear ramp/door.

That’s a great solution if one has a hitch.

Robert

PS: Not sure where you live exactly, but probably not too far from my brother.

11 months later
    #2199 1 year ago

Robert

Pinside_forum_5661037_1998717 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5661037_1998717 (resized).jpg

#2200 1 year ago

3. Hit "Find"

You may be rewarded...

Robert

5 months later
    #2355 8 months ago

I started this thread about 11 years ago.

Since then the number of SUVs that a game fits in, without sliding the head, seems to get smaller every year. Probably to get better fuel economy, things get smaller and less high in the back.

I don't visit this thread much anymore, as I still have my 2012 Grand Cherokee...that games barely fit in.

I want to thank all those who have kept this thread going.

Robert

2 months later
    #2430 6 months ago

Robert

Pinside_forum_4370905_1259352 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_4370905_1259352 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #2454 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinster5000:

I have a 23 Jeep grand Cherokee altitude, stern does fit…….. BUT, I was unaware sterns needed a little more vertical clearance. It was a pain. Before I bought the vehicle I measured my cgc game for vertical clearance and it fits perfectly, I thought sterns would be the same. NOPE! I did get it to fit but I had to take off the ceiling panel by the trunk, not ideal. Next time I’m taking the head off of sterns unfortunately.

Yes, when your measured clearance is at about 31-inches the variance in manufacturer designs comes into play.

I should probably change 31” to 32”, to allow for any ongoing size variations.

Robert

#2458 4 months ago

The clearance of 31 or 32 inches necessary is a vertical measurement with no obstructions, like a raised lip on the bottom.

My guess is that all mfg games won’t fit. You might find some that will fit.

Robert

#2460 4 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

the measurement must also be taken 15 inches from the center of the opening , because a game head is 30 inches wide , so 15 inches each side of center , then you measure the distance down , so any curved top entrance your out of luck

Very good point to mention.

Robert

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrsanramon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=mrsanramon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.