Topic Stats

• 2,571 posts
  • 809 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by SilverUnicorn
  • Topic is favorited by 187 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0387 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.55?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wiki List Posted by MrSanRamon (11 years ago)

Post #2024 Multimorphic size & weight diagram Posted by Hi-Fi (1 year ago)

Post #2199 How to measure your vehicle. Posted by MrSanRamon (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whridlsoncestood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#409 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Anything in the sporty-hatch category than can haul a newer folded Stern? Also shooting for stick-shift and 170+ HP neighborhood. I was thinking A3 might fit the bill but apparently not according to the wiki.
    Anyone know about BMW 3-series wagon? A4-wagon?
    Any other candidates I can consider?
    If I have to go to the cross-over category, anything else close to these specs?

I feel the pain. I'm in complete limbo with no solution in sight. I've been pounding the life out of my '11 vw sportwagen diesel. 6 speed manual. I love it. Nearly 170k miles on. Hauls most games I need to in the back and for bigger games,nib or multiple pin hauls it ties my trailer like a champ. Hauls my big husky and camping gear for us with tons of space.

VW lied and is now going to buy back by car in October. Giving me 15K for it. What to get now? I need a stick. Want a wagon not an SUV or these stupid crossover made up things. They all have less room inside compared to my wagon.

Love the tdi but bmw 3 series wagon is the only real option there. Already tried and will not fit a machine. Maybe an old balky with head off if you try real hard. Plus not a stick.

Almost nothing is available in a stick which is furiating. The new sportwagen you can get a 5 speed stick(not the 6 speed I have in my older wagen!) but only on the stripped down base model. So annoying. I've been a lifelong vw guy and drive all sorts of them but this is my everyday car for the family and they are disappointing me.

Hatch heights are shrinking as well. I'm exhausting a lot of options.

This weekend I'm going to check out the new designed Mini Cooper clubman. 4 door wagon. Comes in s model and JCW for a nice engine in the near future too. All models available in a stick as well. Rear door is actually the 2 door split design and not a top lift hatch. If this has enough inches in heigh in the rear entry it may be my only option. Priced a few 1000 more than the sportwagen with similar options. My tdi was chipped and a pretty fast machine especially for a diesel. This hopefully is comparable.

The next one I'm eyeing is the new Volvo v60 wagen. New design. Not sure on hatch heigh. Awd version comes with up to nearly 300 hp engine I believe. No stick though polestar version available as well for a straight up comfortable and safe racing machine!

Jeep renegades also come in stick. Are a bit shorter for easy loading and very boxey rear hatch that might be tall enough with decent mpg for the jeep family. Not really my cup of tea.

#411 7 years ago

Courts have already approved this. It's just in public hearing now. They are suppose to start buying back cars October 1st. All of my info is in there ready to go with VW. I don't want consumer reports to drag this out for several more months so I can get a couple hundred dollars more. Car needs some major maitenance(Number 4 injector and wiring starting to be flakey. DPF needs replacing). Not dumping that money into the car so VW can crush it. Already spent a ton on timing belt job and a couple other issues just before the scandal. I invest in my cars to make sure they last. Was hoping to keep this for the long haul. Engine was just getting done being broken in!

#414 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Been a long time since I heard anybody call a manual (or standard) shift a stick. How much gray hair do you have?

A bunch but I just turned 33 so not the answer you were really expecting

#415 7 years ago

Spent a day driving around dealers. Here is my disappointing conclusions for the day

Mini

Love the new mini clubman and the new interior. Top notch stuff. Any options you want all available with a manual transmision. Big downside is the rear door opening. 24" tall. Never getting a game in through that height. Roof climbs right after door opening and has plenty of height. Was really hoping the doors would be taller. The Mini Countryman has been discontinued and being brought back in the early spring. It's suppose to be taller(current one matches my vw sportwagen) and longer. Good chance this could fit one but not sure if I can wait that long on hopes. Possibly even the first diesel mini brings to the US.

Subaru.

No luck in the outback. Game fits through the hatch but then has a weird hump halfway in the stops the game. Boooo.

Forester a game will fit. Seats do not fold flat but have a little hard carpet flap that helps make the height jump. Middles seatbelt comes from the roof so is an annoyance when you are sliding the game in. Gets tangled in it when your pushing it in. Comes in a stick with every option possible EXCEPT navigation! Just the idea of them doing that pisses me off plus I wasn't a fan of its looks in general. Want something lower to the ground for our large husky who's now 9 to jump in and out of the backseat.

Double checked BMW 3 series wagen again. No stick and very tight game fit. Older games with head off probably. Wpc would be some work.

Volvo v70 wagon. Too short. 26" tops. Maybe an older game. Interior dash and controls are horrendous and confusing compared to other European manufacturers. Big price tag too. Expect to start around 40k and up. Tons of great safety features over the other companies. if you are big on those. Also all automatics.

Mercedes has a wagon but way over priced for the room and no stick.

After a day if bouncing around dealers I'm disappointed and feeling like there is no hope to get a good fun car that can fit a pin and come in a manual transmision and isn't a suv. I'm even slightly leaning towards a new GTI and throwing s trailer hitch on it. Stinks to always have to use a trailer. Nice if I'm doing single game transports I can just toss it in the back of the wagon with no hassle but giving up that stick is a hard on for me.

#418 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

The old countryman would not fit a folded up modern game. Hope the new one does.

Did you use to have one Al? How did you like it? I'm loading games in and out of the sanctum all the time. Really want a fun car than I can haul games all the time. Curious about the new one too.

VW dealer is closed today but I want to check some gti dimensions. The hatch height I think is the same. Wondering if depth is there. Wagon is 12" longer in the boot. I usually have plenty of extra depth. Could be interesting.

Anyone else ever try it in a MK6 or MK7 golf/gti?

#419 7 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

I had an E46 (2002 model year) wagon and the only way I could get an old game in was to set the backbox behind the game in the hatch and tie the trunk down. Very risky but I pulled it off once. Otherwise, I couldn't get anything else in. The hatch is just too low for a removed backbox of any sort as far as I could tell. Currently have a 2010 3 wagon and it doesn't fit shit either and there's no way to strap the trunk anymore.

So width was an issue? Hatch height was just a tad shorter than my vw sportwagen. Much more sloping. I can almost squeeze a wpc game with head folded with no modifications(have to unbolt head and slide down) The X1 was even worse. How do you like the wagon. The interior seems a bit off to me. Not the usual German styling I'm use to.

#423 7 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

you are not thinking outside the box - look at this - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-1953-pin-hauler
    buy an antique - they are cheap to insure and you pay no taxes - and you can use it for other things - it serves 2 purposes - i had mine at pintastic on Friday - all machines go right in - thanks ed

I've eyed some antique hurses. Problem is I drive across the country and into Canada and back again camping out of my vehicle with my wife and our husky. I need something more reliable for everyday use right now. Convince of always being able to grab a pin in my daily is nice. Eventually I'll buy a cheap second vehicle to haul games but no space for a 3rd car.

#424 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Have you given the Focus ST / RS a try? I've been wondering if the fit would work, it sounds like it might...

That hatch looks like it starts curving way too soon. Might go in but you're not closing the hatch is my guess.

#431 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Do you even have the option of not selling your VW whatever back to Volkswagon? Or is this govt. deal-done and since the pollution stuff ain't working right VW is buying you out and you are going for the ride regardless?

I can allow them to perform a "fix" that they have not even developed yet and take a 5000$ payout. Problem is my wagon has 170,000 miles and needs two things fixed. A new wiring harness around the injectors and a new DPF(diesel particulate filter on the exhaust). The DPF is a 2k job and most likely clogged due to the over polluting it does. Why take the 5k and dump it all back into a high mileage vehchile that will perform worse and get worse mpg after the fix. Yes I could have it tuned by revo possibly down the line in a year or two once the create one but then the car won't pass emissions in my state (CT)

#432 7 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

You could always take the "fix" money instead of the buyback. If they do mess up the performance then you could do an aftermarket tune, rid the diesel of the emissions garbage and have a great performing car.

Have a revo tune now. Car is a beast. Problem is how long before revo can make a new one and then I run into CT emissions problems. Revo might even stay away from this engine after all this mess. So few of them will be left out there why spend the effort making a new tune when they will have so few to sell to.

#434 7 years ago

Also checked out the jeep renegade last night. Little too tall for me. Nice 6 speed manual transmision. Again can't be put on the navigation package. And that's the only way to get anything besides cloth seats. Cloth seats with my muddy husky after hiking does not clean easily. Plus his fur alone sticks in cloth seats so badly.

3 weeks later
    #447 7 years ago

I've eyed the edge because of its boxy design. Assuming most any game will fit but the MPG on those things kills it for me. I do a ton of driving and would cost me a fortune.

Quoted from Baiter:

I was able to fit a 1990's Bally in a 2010 Ford Edge with head folded down... plenty of room left on the side for a dolly. It's nice that the lower latch doesn't stick up like it did on my Honda Odyssey, making it safe to slide in without much worry. The Edge didn't show up on my original "fits a pinball radar" so I'm glad I stumbled into it, nice vehicle.

#449 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I know what you mean, when I bought my Prius I calculated $150/month in fuel savings over my Honda Odyssey. Since then prices have dropped about 40%, so it's easier to justify a 285 HP vehicle... it doesn't imply fuel efficiency, but it does imply fun.
    Think about it though... what are the options for fuel efficient pinball haulers? It's a tiny list, and most of them are still under 30mpg. Whenever they invent a 250 HP, 40 MPG pin hauler that's good in snow, I'm all in.

Hence my dilemma. I have just that now and need to replace it!

2 months later
    #453 7 years ago

Finally got sick of searching for the perfect vehicle since there isn't one. Stuck with my loyalty of VW as I love there cars. Wanted a stick. Wanted a car that has great performance and is fun to drive. Good MPG. Manual transmission and can haul a pin. I decided on this and it does all of these as best as one vehicle probably can. IMG_8644 (resized).JPGIMG_8644 (resized).JPGIMG_8646 (resized).JPGIMG_8646 (resized).JPG

VW GTi. Autobahn package with performance pack. Fast and fun. Handles corners amazingly. Gets me 38 MPG highway and believe it ornot, It fits a pinIMG_8696 (resized).JPGIMG_8696 (resized).JPGIMG_8700 (resized).JPGIMG_8700 (resized).JPGIMG_8698 (resized).JPGIMG_8698 (resized).JPG

Trailer hitch and roof cargo box coming this week along with a tune to make the car even more fun to drive.

#458 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I'm impressed you were able to fit a game in there.
    The stage 1 APR tune will turn this car into a beast. Maybe you are going stage 2. Then you should take it to the track.

Going with a JB1 piggyback tune until the factory warranty runs out. Unplug a few connectors and it can go in for warranty work with no red flags or signs of a tune. After the next 50k(take me about a year and a half max) I'll sell the jb1 and get my money back mostly and either do APR or Revo. I had revo on my tdi and was very impressed.

2 months later
    #472 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I test drove a 2017 Honda CR-V yesterday.
    I measured the hatch opening at 33” high and at least 40” wide. The load floor is really flat, and apparently its 10" longer than the 2016 model. I measured the usable length (from where a pin would clear the hatch to the back of an extended passenger seat) at 61", which is plenty of room. I wouldn't be surprised if the official number was more like 70". It's an impressively roomy and squared off space.
    The EPA estimate for the new 1.5L turbo engine (with a CVT) is 27 city / 33 highway / 29 mixed. Fuelly seems to indicate that high 20 mpgs are more likely, but those numbers could go up as more of them get past the break-in stage. (http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/cr-v/2017)
    Some other notes from my test drive:
    * Tons of modern tech (backup camera, radar assisted cruise, lane monitoring/lane keep assist, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, remote starter, lots of USB outlets for charging, too many more features to list)
    * Very quiet, even at 75 mph (but note that my benchmark is my current 2006 Civic)
    * Tons of room in the back seat
    I'll probably be picking one up in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure if there are other changes, but the 2017 version adds a physical volume knob on the stereo itself. The volume control on the steering wheel is still a slider.

Glad to see your finally getting a pin hauler. Don't think you'll care too much but if someone likes cars/driving at all those CVT transmission are so crappy feeling.

I'm sure you'll have no problem fitting games in that.

1 week later
    #491 7 years ago

GTi does it again. Didn't even have to take the head off or slide it down.

IMG_9268 (resized).JPGIMG_9268 (resized).JPG

#494 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

That's insane considering the size of the car. Have you tried to fit a newer game?

Any system 11/dmd stuff would require head relocation. That's why I have the euro trailer hitch installed. Pulls my sides trailer no problem. Can get 2 modern dmds in the trailer and something like this in the hatch.

#497 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Hats off to you! WPC's need some help on the GSW's (or at least with panoramic roof). It's tight but doable if you move the head forward.

I had a tdi JsW just before that. Know all about that. Was such a great car. 185000 miles on at 2011. VW gave me 16k for it and it was in need of some big repairs. Crunched some numbers and knew the GTi could haul Games too and the tdi engine is no more here so I went back to speed over mpg. Not that the GTi is horrible on mpg but I had the tdi chipped and it was about 180hp and near 280 tq and got 45 mpg

2 weeks later
    #502 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

A quick update from last night: Panthera fit in my CRV last night with a couple inches of height to spare. Panthera's head is really deep, so the opening height required is around 30".
    On the other hand, I also tried to load a Fathom with the head folded down strapped to an appliance cart, and fell short by around 1". Fathom fit very easily without the appliance cart attached, obviously.

Are you coming tomorrow with panthera?

#504 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I think we have our wires crossed. I blame Mark.
    I was planning on bringing it down before NEPL finals. Let me know if this plan still works.

That's what I thought! When you said you loaded up panthera last night it made me double guess.

That's good because we have no room at all right now!

4 months later
    #631 6 years ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

I own a 2017 VW Sportwagen. I bought it with the hope it would be a pin-hauler. Haven't tried yet!

I had an '11 TDi. Best vehicle I've ever had. Was a champ. So many miles and hauled a trailer great. No games with a head on unless you undid thenhead bolt and slid it forward and took top trim piece off hatch opening. Wanted a new model when I had to sell the diesel back to VW but hatch opening only got smaller. Heads will have to come off. Went GTi instead. More fun to drive than smaller gas engine wagon and fits the same games and rows just fine too.

-Jim

#641 6 years ago
    Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

2018 Volkswagen Atlas. Lots of room to spare. Apologies for the bad image quality.

VW baffled me with a Japanese transmission in the atlas. Asked the dealer about it and he didn't believe me until he read the window sticker. First vw I've seen like that.

I just wish they would stop teasing 100 different bus concepts and just release one already. I know it's going to be my next vehicle. Or bring the transporter vans here at least. Caddy van would be a perfect long haul pin getter.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whridlsoncestood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=Whridlsoncestood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.