Topic Stats

• 2,568 posts
  • 809 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 minutes ago by DarthPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 187 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.55?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.35?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wiki List Posted by MrSanRamon (11 years ago)

Post #2024 Multimorphic size & weight diagram Posted by Hi-Fi (1 year ago)

Post #2199 How to measure your vehicle. Posted by MrSanRamon (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#611 6 years ago

2004 Subaru Forester with new stern. It is a pretty tight fit. I have a couple suggestions;

1) remove the key hanger on the back of the head
    2) remove the hatch opening roof trim piece. It just pops off and gives a bit more wiggle room. I figured this out after I took the picture.
    3) I am pretty sure it would have been easier to load the game rear first (opposite from my picture). At least this proves it fits the dumb backwards way as well.
    4) The biggest hurdle is squeezing past the middle rear seatbelt. You just have to fidget with the angle of approach and wiggle as needed. Once you get off the bottom of the hatch hump, it will have a little more clearance to move around.

20170611_153203 (resized).jpg20170611_153203 (resized).jpg
    20170611_153230 (resized).jpg20170611_153230 (resized).jpg

#613 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can disconnect the belt where it attaches to the base in the seat, and it should retract into the ceiling.
    http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/40790-back-row-middle-seat-belt.html

Right. I meant to say the hump in the ceiling where the center belt retracts into is where this space is the tightest.

6 months later
    #734 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

2013 Subaru Outback?

Not with the head on. The roof has a hump that comes down about an 1" too low. It is frustratingly close.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#736 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Thanks Rob!
    Grrrrrrr!

Well, I should say that I didn't attempt based on the measurements. I am not sure if one could be "persuaded" to fit. I have an '11 Outback, '05 LegacyGT Wagon, and a '04 Forester. The Forester is the only of the three that makes the pinball hauling grade.

9 months later
    #914 5 years ago

2018 Forester was very tight with a modern Stern. It was just touching the headliner. The bulge in the ceiling from the middle seatbelt and the bump in between the cargo floor and rear seats are the limiters. Only will go in front first. Head first will not work.

20181021_170615.jpg20181021_170615.jpg
    4 months later
    #1029 5 years ago

Any experience with the a 2018 or 2019 Escape? It looks like 2017 will fit, but I don't know if the newer models are still ok. I am moving a STTNG from CA to WA and have a minivan rented, however weather looks to be a factor through OR, so am looking to switch to an SUV at the last minute. Thanks for any info.

#1032 5 years ago

Excellent, thanks for the information.

#1034 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I have a 2018 Escape and it has about 31.5 inches of space so it will haul one just fine. The seats fold flatter than some other SUVs but the "flap" that covers the gap when down means you need to have it rolling on something or some thick cardboard or other material to help it slide over that bump. And of course it has the plastic trim piece at the door which you need to be careful with to ensure it doesn't damage the edge of cabinet when it slides over.

2018 Escape SE AWD hauled the STTNG from CA to WA with zero problems. There was plenty of height in the cargo area. The length was fine, but needed to rotate the game slightly so the trigger was not digging into the driver's back. The 1.5T motor was surprisingly spunky especially considering the game, some luggage, 2 humans and multiple mountain passes. The power and responsiveness was quite impressive. The gas mileage on the other hand was not great, clocking in at barely 26mpg for 11 1/2 hrs of FWY driving including plenty of miles with a brisk tail wind. My '18 Forester XT for example with a more potent 2.0T would get an expected 30-32mpg. Still, it looks to be a great compact pin hauler.

20190228_074635 (resized).jpg20190228_074635 (resized).jpg

20190227_095848 (resized).jpg20190227_095848 (resized).jpg

2 years later
    #1603 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Does anyone have experience with moving pins with the newer Honda Pilots? I have a 2009 Honda Pilot that is past 300K miles, so I'll be looking to get a new vehicle at some point here. I know the body style changed in 2016 and it appears the rear dimensions of the Honda Pilot got smaller in this change, so I'm looking for feedback with the newer body style.

Use the "posts containing keyword" search box at the top of the page. A search on "pilot" returned a lot of good info.

8 months later
    #1773 2 years ago

Slugfest is an oddball cabinet. I didn't see anything listed for it. The head doesn't fold down, but part of the top does comes off. I was able to fit one (and two passengers!) in my 2005 Legacy GT wagon by loading on its side and the head off. The hatch opening is only 28" high, so can't fit any pinball games with the head on. It was super tight, but it did squeeze in with one of the back seats in the up position.

PXL_20211126_062228519 (resized).jpgPXL_20211126_062228519 (resized).jpgPXL_20211126_062303335 (resized).jpgPXL_20211126_062303335 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #1780 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Anyone have any luck with Williams System 11 games in a 2015 Subaru Forester? Someone locally may have a Whirlwind available for sale soon. Push comes to shove, I can rent a U-Haul.

I hauled a High Speed in our 2018. It was tight, but it worked. I recommend a really thin piece of cardboard for the top of the game. I got a couple light scuffs on the headliner that my wife still reminds me about IIRC, it was coin box facing forward.

2 months later
    #1835 2 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

[What is your ideal transport suggestion, that fits the parameters I will set out below.]
    This is something I've wondered about, ever since owning my first pin ~ 8 years ago. I see that this thread has been going on for 9 years worth of posts, so I've got a lot of catching up to do in reading through it. Most of the games I own came to me via NAVL, from coast to coast distance or approaching that. They must break up the transport into segments, as the last leg of it was always delivered by a local region firm. This firm used a sizable, fully enclosed truck -- I'd estimate having an internal capacity of 8 pins or more -- equipped with a formidable, pro liftgate, which makes a huge difference.
    BUT, WHAT IF you needed or desired to move a few pins around from time to time in your local area, did not want to go out and rent a truck each time for this, and your budget would accommodate owning your own vehicle for this ? What would you choose ? Consider that basically as being open-ended, covering various price points. (The each-time rental is likely still going to be a much more feasible solution, but I'd still like to field your ideas.)
    Factors I would list as highly desirable:
    1. Fully enclosed, no flatbed trucks. So you don't have to deal with a tarp in rainy or windy weather.
    2. Will accommodate at least 2 widebody pins. and probably a max. of 4, because:
    3. Don't want to have to work with some HUGE vehicle that it can be difficult to maneuver or to find a suitable parking space for.
    4. Well drivable, for people with ordinary driving skills. (I've driven a medium panel truck or van, which qualifies.)
    5. Has a pin-sized or larger powered liftgate, capable of supporting 250 - 300 lb.s at a time. This could be after-market. (I've heard of one called 'Tommygate.' Don't know how good it might be . . . . ) Liftgate much preferred over any ramp.
    6. Can be fitted with interior fixtures at which to secure restraining straps.
    7. Good vehicle reliability. I've seen some trucks or vans that might be candidates, based on the overall size, ranging from Dodge to Mercedes. (Why I said to cover various price points.)
    8. Should be able to take the height of a pin that does not have the head folded, or removed if it's a non-foldable EM. That most likely rules out being able to see out of any rear windows, if they exist. So:
    9. Decent visibility around the vehicle, from the mirrors, and any possible camera features.
    I think that would pretty much be my wish list, if I could enumerate the specs.

My suggestion would be a small enclosed trailer with a drop down rear ramp/door. Then pick your favorite vehicle that can tow 3500-5000#. This is my current solution. I think it is the most flexible and covers all of your requirements. I had been using a '18 Forester XT. It is limited in tow capability but could easily move a couple games at a time. I recently picked up a BMW X5 diesel as the new tow vehicle. It has what I found to be one of the highest tow ratings for a mid sized SUV (up to 7700) and gets great fuel economy. It fits a game by itself, and with my trailer (4x10 I think?) could theoretically haul 7-8 games packed up. What's better is that if only moving one or two, they can be loaded legs on.

PXL_20211110_213327757 (resized).jpgPXL_20211110_213327757 (resized).jpg
    #1842 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

That's a nice little trailer.
    Chris

Thanks! It's an older Haulmark The only two issues I have run into is that the ceiling height is about 1" too short to transport my arcade cabinets upright. The second is that this trailer seems to have the axles back further than I would like. This means I have to watch for going over the tongue weight. Here are four games comfortably packed for the NWPAS a couple years back.

20180616_135001 (resized).jpg20180616_135001 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1905 2 years ago

2017 BMW X5 ok for Sterns. There is about 1/2" clearance once the game starts to ride up the back of the rear seats. It probably would have more clearance loading the other way, but I didn't try.

DSC09131 (resized).jpgDSC09131 (resized).jpg

It was a no go for the System11 however. The pictures are from my second attempt flipping the game around to coin door first which was actually worse. It was pretty close to making it with coin door last. It's possible it could have just squeaked through in that orientation if I had used thinner padding between the head and the rails (was using a moving blanket). I didn't think of this until I had already taken it back out spun it around. Also, probably would have been ok to detach the head from the hinge and slid it down a few inches. I stopped futzing with it and loaded it in the trailer instead.

DSC09138 (resized).jpgDSC09138 (resized).jpgDSC09137 (resized).jpgDSC09137 (resized).jpg

Added 22 months ago:

UPDATE: I was able to fit the System11. More info here; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/40#post-6954670

1 month later
    #1954 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobF:

2017 BMW X5 ok for Sterns.
    [quoted image]
    It was a no go for the System11 however.

I gave it another go with High Speed in my X5 and I am happy to say I got it to work without disconnecting the head. In my failed attempt I had used a thick moving blanket between the head and cabinet and thought it might be possible to make it fit with something thinner. I used a piece of cardboard this time and that did the trick. I had about an inch and half clearance. I use a cut sheet of thin hardboard to help slide over the transition to the not quite flat rear seats. Yay for the X5!

PXL_20220528_191154887 (resized).jpgPXL_20220528_191154887 (resized).jpgPXL_20220528_191320157.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220528_191320157.MP (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1979 1 year ago

2017 X5 transporting games to/from NWPAS...

I didn't take a picture, but (not surprisingly) can add WMS cabinet (MMr) to the list of games that fit inside the X5. For towing I comfortably fit 6 games in the 5x10 trailer. It looks about 6" short for fitting 8. It *might* work if I pulled a couple backboxes off, but I wasn't that desperate. The 35d is a champ. Yeah, it turned out to be a bad time to pick up a diesel...but man it tows nice. On a flat open road just cruising between 40-50mph it still gets 30+ mpg once up to speed. Full trip with hills and lights it was right about 20mpg.

IMG_1065 (resized).JPGIMG_1065 (resized).JPGPXL_20220601_041814456 (resized).jpgPXL_20220601_041814456 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #2040 1 year ago
    Quoted from GamerRick:

Just checking in if anyone saw this that can answer ^^^

Tape measures can only tell you so much and if this is a deal breaker for the purchase, best to be sure. If it were me, I would take a test drive home and (carefully!) try to fit a game. If you love the car otherwise, sliding the back box down the cabinet is not that big of a deal unless you are moving games every week.

1 month later
    #2057 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A 2022 forrester will absolutely fit a modern stern without issue. Since I already had the games wrapped from the York show I did a test fit. Hermit is holding a Deadpool. No rub on ceiling. This is in a 2022 subaru forester wilderness edition with sunroof. All models but the base are the same in the back except the base without sunroof which his actually bigger. Confirmed you can haul 5 in a 5x8 u-haul with the wilderness edition as well. What you cannot do is keep one rear seat up with the modern stern.[quoted image][quoted image]

I have towed pins with my 2018 Forester XT.
    Observations I can share:
    1). Use an OBD app and watch your fluid temperatures. On a 150 mile fwy only trip, I was concerned with AT/CVT temps I saw. That was towing two pins in a10' enclosed trailer in 60deg rainy weather. From that experience, I planned on adding an additional AT cooler before I bought a more capable towing vehicle.
    2). The ratio Subaru chose for reverse is ridiculously tall. With anything over 1000 lbs and an incline, the CVT just wants to slip. In a couple cases it flat refused to move. This was also in X mode, were I found the tightening of the diffs, lowered ratios and softened throttle response worked fantastic for forward direction. But for some inexplicable reason doesn't affect reverse. Keep in mind the XT has the "high torque" CVT, so one would it expect it to perform better under high demand situations.
    3). I hauled a max of 4 pins in my trailer for a short 15 mile run. Again the transmission was clearly unhappy with any starts and any hills. I found it best to use S# mode where it locks the CVT into 8 pre defined ratios and used the paddle shifters to manage things. Even then, it didn't feel great.

I wanted the FXT to be the perfect pin hauler. Hopefully the new models have improvements to the transmission behavior but I would suggest keeping a close eye on it.

2 months later
    #2126 1 year ago
    Quoted from Petes0281:

2020 BMW X5 fits a Williams Taxi, but rear hatch will not close all the way. Bring your bungee cords/straps to hold the hatch down and cover the machine.

Is the reason because the game can't make it over the transition to the back of the rear seats?

#2131 1 year ago
    Quoted from Petes0281:

The folded down back box hits the headliner. Rear hatch stayed open about 6 inches while I drove home.

Any pics? That's with coin door first? Did you try it the other way around?

That's too bad the X5 has also dropped off the list. Games fit in the previous generations.

#2133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Petes0281:

My mistake...it's the 2020 X3 M40i that has the fitment issue. Keep X5 on the good list.

Ah! Good correction for future X5 (and X3) owners.

1 week later
    #2163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Joker19:

Thanks. I have a 2017 forester, hoping the opening and cargo specs are the same.

Same gen as yours;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/19#post-4647760

#2165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Joker19:

Thanks.
    Di you think a JJP Wonka would fit? I saw it fit in a 2022...

I have never transported a JPP game, so I am not sure. I think the key is going to be using as thin of protection under the head as possible.

6 months later
    #2368 8 months ago
    Quoted from Petes0281:

2016 BMW X5 fits a Stern T3 with no issues.
    [quoted image]

Yep. My '17 X5 is now an experience pin mover. Pro tip for other X5 owners (and probably other SUV models as well?); there is a way to transform the cargo area to a nearly flat floor for that takes about 5 min and no tools. Side note, this won't work with the comfort (adjustable) rear seat option.

Basic steps are;

1) Remove rear seat headrests
    2) Grab under the rear bottom cushion and pull straight up to pop out the retainers. There is one on each side.
    3) Rotate the rear cushion up against the back of the front seats. It's a little tricky with the middle seatbelt, but if you gently pull slack as you go, there is plenty of length for when you get to the next step. I like to use some spare cardboard between the rear cushion and the front seats/center console and other pieces between the bottom of the cushion and the top the rear seats.
    4) Fold the rear seats down as normal.

It makes it that much easier to slide a game in and out without that additional angled ledge. To make even easier to slide and to protect the car even more, I like to use a sheet of thin masonite cut to fit between the cargo mounting rails.

Normal seat down position;
    PXL_20221029_222829755 (resized).jpgPXL_20221029_222829755 (resized).jpg

After moving bottom cushion;
    PXL_20221029_222403929 (resized).jpgPXL_20221029_222403929 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20221029_222348401 (resized).jpgPXL_20221029_222348401 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #2420 6 months ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Anyone with direct experience moving a modern Stern or B/W in a 2023 Subaru Ascent? I measured at the dealer and found the hatch to be right around 30" floor to moulding. There is a sloping upward cargo floor and then it's not a contiguous cargo floor beyond the third row fold down. Looks like it might work but would love a confirmed experience (and what it was like to deal with that non-contiguous floor).
    Thanks, Jim

Best thing is to search the thread first. This seems the most relevant https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/39#post-6874364

Not sure if anything changed from 21 to 23.

#2423 6 months ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Yes thanks. I did already find that and was looking for more confirmation. Another post seemed to indicate it did fit, so not sure. Doesn't seem promising.

Yeah, that's disappointing. I just assumed the Ascent was always going to be plenty big enough. Bummer. At least it can tow a decent amount...for a Subaru anyway.

rear-measurements-1024x768 (resized).jpgrear-measurements-1024x768 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=RobF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.