Topic Stats

• 2,563 posts
  • 808 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 hours ago by mbl1116
  • Topic is favorited by 186 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.55?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.35?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Wiki List Posted by MrSanRamon (11 years ago)

Post #2024 Multimorphic size & weight diagram Posted by Hi-Fi (1 year ago)

Post #2199 How to measure your vehicle. Posted by MrSanRamon (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adaminski.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1800 2 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Finally got around to testing my 2021 HR-V with a newer Stern. Plenty of room, great little car!

GorillaBiscuits are you able to fit in a hand truck/dolly? What about hand truck/dolly and a helper?

I suspect if one is buying/selling/trading with other pinheads, they mostly have a hand truck/dolly on site and can offer some assistance, making a smaller SUV/crossover useful. And if one is hunting for basement/garage finds from non-pinheads, then a larger SUV/van is warranted for their versatility.

8 months later
    #2053 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A 2022 Subaru Forester will fit every pinball machine ever made excepting Hercules and P3. Note that Gottilieb System 3s have to go in in their side. The doggy Matt rear protector they sell is perfect for protecting pins. 1500 pound towing capacity on all models but the wilderness which can tow 3,000. So if you rent a u-haul 5×8 you can fit 6. The perfect pin hauler.

Here she is swallowing super Mario Brothers like a good girl.

Thanks for the info. I measured the back opening of the 2022 Forester at 31.25" and 31.75" (edge and center), but noted that the ceiling dropped down to about 30.25" where the seat belt comes out about 9-10" in from the opening on the back right. I measured Stern Star Wars maximum height at about 30-30.25", so knocked the Forester off my list. Have you transported a modern Stern?

IMG_6042 (resized).jpegIMG_6042 (resized).jpegIMG_6046 (resized).jpegIMG_6046 (resized).jpegIMG_6047 (resized).jpegIMG_6047 (resized).jpeg
    #2056 1 year ago

A 2022 forrester will absolutely fit a modern stern without issue. Since I already had the games wrapped from the York show I did a test fit. Hermit is holding a Deadpool. No rub on ceiling. This is in a 2022 subaru forester wilderness edition with sunroof. All models but the base are the same in the back except the base without sunroof which his actually bigger. Confirmed you can haul 5 in a 5x8 u-haul with the wilderness edition as well. What you cannot do is keep one rear seat up with the modern stern.

Thanks! I have a 2017 Outback, purchased before pinball entered our lives in 2018. I was set on a 2022 RAV4 hybrid because of MPG and the height. But almost all Toyota dealers in the Seattle area mark them up $5000-$6000 to get them to "blue book" prices. $44k+tax/reg is hard to swallow for an XLE Premium (need Softex for dogs). One dealer 45-60 minutes away sells at MSRP based on orders only (unless you happen to be on the lot the day they have the trim that you want), so they are now selling 2023s.

So I'm looking at the Subaru Forester again. My dealer has a blue wilderness edition on the lot today. If it's still there when the Seahawks game ends at 1:00 locally, I may go buy it. They do look sweet.

#2060 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

So I'm looking at the Subaru Forester again. My dealer has a blue wilderness edition on the lot today. If it's still there when the Seahawks game ends at 1:00 locally, I may go buy it. They do look sweet.

Thanks to all those who provided info to this thread over the past few years, and to RobF and SantaEatsCheese for specific info in the past few days. Here is a summary of my search for a small SUV that will transport a pinball machine in 2022.

After looking at several vehicles in person, my research told me that the 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE Premium (with weather package) was the best car for my driving, pinball moving, activities, and dog park needs at the MSRP price point that I was willing to pay. It has enough height over the entire back seat and cargo areas because the roof is flat with no protrusions, it gets great combined gas mileage, and drives/rides well enough (even though Consumer Reports isn't a big fan of 2022 RAV4). But it sells for $4k-$6k over MSRP in our area, and getting a desired color is very challenging. I could order one for delivery at MSRP since I wasn't in a hurry, but I really didn't want to wait months for 2023 models.

We could afford a more expensive car, but I like a car that works for me and gets the jobs done, and that I'm not going to worry about all the wear and tear that life gives things. I appreciate better cars, but I'm not a "car guy." We could have gone the used route, but I prefer to spend my spare time fixing and maintaining pinball machines, working on projects around the house, playing racquet sports, going to dog parks and for walks and hikes, etc. I don't want to worry & spend time researching repairs (so I know what the mechanic is recommending) and possibly have down time on a vehicle that is already 5+ years old. Also, there isn't as much depreciation on models that are only 3 years old.

I've had a 2017 Outback Limited since new and like the brand here in the PNW. Local Subaru dealers are still selling at MSRP. My local dealer just got in a Forester Wilderness in Geyser Blue that looked really sharp to us and ticked all the check boxes. Also, for some reason Consumer Reports loves the 2022 Forester. I know that the height will be a bit tight due to the seat belt protrusion in the roof, but since pinball machine moving is an infrequent occurrence I figure I can deal with it.

Bought the Forester Sunday. Took my daughter back to college (50 miles one way) last night, and took our first dog park trip today. I'll post a photo when we move our first pin a month or two.

Subaru and dogs (resized).jpgSubaru and dogs (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #2113 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

Thanks to all those who provided info to this thread over the past few years, and to RobF and sataneatscheese for specific info in the past few days. Here is a summary of my search for a small SUV that will transport a pinball machine in 2022.
    After looking at several vehicles in person, my research told me that the 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE Premium (with weather package) was the best car for my driving, pinball moving, activities, and dog park needs at the MSRP price point that I was willing to pay. It has enough height over the entire back seat and cargo areas because the roof is flat with no protrusions, it gets great combined gas mileage, and drives/rides well enough (even though Consumer Reports isn't a big fan of 2022 RAV4). But it sells for $4k-$6k over MSRP in our area, and getting a desired color is very challenging. I could order one for delivery at MSRP since I wasn't in a hurry, but I really didn't want to wait months for 2023 models.
    We could afford a more expensive car, but I like a car that works for me and gets the jobs done, and that I'm not going to worry about all the wear and tear that life gives things. I appreciate better cars, but I'm not a "car guy." We could have gone the used route, but I prefer to spend my spare time fixing and maintaining pinball machines, working on projects around the house, playing racquet sports, going to dog parks and for walks and hikes, etc. I don't want to worry & spend time researching repairs (so I know what the mechanic is recommending) and possibly have down time on a vehicle that is already 5+ years old. Also, there isn't as much depreciation on models that are only 3 years old.
    I've had a 2017 Outback Limited since new and like the brand here in the PNW. Local Subaru dealers are still selling at MSRP. My local dealer just got in a Forester Wilderness in Geyser Blue that looked really sharp to us and ticked all the check boxes. Also, for some reason Consumer Reports loves the 2022 Forester. I know that the height will be a bit tight due to the seat belt protrusion in the roof, but since pinball machine moving is an infrequent occurrence I figure I can deal with it.
    Bought the Forester Sunday. Took my daughter back to college (50 miles one way) last night, and took our first dog park trip today. I'll post a photo when we move our first pin a month or two.
    [quoted image]

It's time to give back. Here is the promised photo documentation of my first pinball machine move with a 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness edition. It was a Wonka LE (29.75" max height x 28.75" wide x ~54" long, including the shooter), and I had a friend with a lot of pin moving experience helping me. I removed the cargo tray and the rear seat protector (both made out of a thermoplastic, I think) and had to use a moving blanket to slide the Wonka over the boundary where the rear seats fold down. We also had a moving blanket protecting the rear bumper as we slid the pin in. The fit is tight where the seatbelt holder drops near the rear right, but it fits OK.

Really enjoying this vehicle and love the color. It's likely my last gas car. Would have liked the RAV4 hybrid, but couldn't reconcile the local $5k markup by dealers when I think that hybrids will be replaced by all electric sooner than I'm ready for my next car in 5-7 years.

IMG_7581 (resized).jpegIMG_7581 (resized).jpegIMG_7583 (resized).jpegIMG_7583 (resized).jpegIMG_7584 (resized).jpegIMG_7584 (resized).jpegIMG_7586 (resized).jpegIMG_7586 (resized).jpegIMG_7587 (resized).jpegIMG_7587 (resized).jpegIMG_7588 (resized).jpegIMG_7588 (resized).jpegIMG_7593 (resized).jpegIMG_7593 (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #2238 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Hyundai: Definitely no for the 2023 Venue and Kona. Yes for the Tucson, fully fit easily.

Toyota: No for the 2023 Corolla Cross and Venza. Borderline yes for the Rav-4 but with millimeters to spare for clearance.

Thanks for the summary contribution.

I'm surprised by your assessment of the Hyundai Tucson. I measured the 2022 and there was no way a Stern or JJP with the head folded down would fit. I was bummed because it was a highly rated car by Consumer Reports. The Tucson had a complete redesign for 2022, so I wouldn't expect that the 2023 was different. Sadly, I have no photo documentation of my trip to the Hyundai dealer, as it was a non-starter at the time. I'm really curious as to the difference, but my advice would be to verify vikingerik 's results.

The 2022 Toyota RAV4 was my preferred car. My measurements (first 3 photos below) indicate it is just fine for a Stern or JJP with the head folded down. Seems like no major 2023 redesign.

My measurements of a 2022 Honda CR-V agree with your assessment (last 5 photos below). Seems like no major 2023 redesign.

I ended up with a Subaru Forester:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/42#post-7182524
    and
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/43#post-7307068

I cleaned up the captions so that the car model will show if you hover with mouse pointer in a web browser. I assume they are visible somehow on a phone or tablet...

Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Honda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-V

3 months later
    #2306 10 months ago

More data on 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness, following up on my earlier post:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/43#post-7307068

Fits MMr and Farfalla just fine. On Farfalla I forgot to take a couple pics until we had started to unload. The ratchet for the strap was placed on top of the head and to the right, and we had to keep it slid toward the left of the Forester so that it would clear the seat belt fixture bump on the right. Without the ratchet on top we would have been able to keep it centered.
    MMr_2022SubaruForester1 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester1 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester2 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester2 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester3 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester3 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester4 (resized).jpegMMr_2022SubaruForester4 (resized).jpegFarfalla_2022SubaruForester1 (resized).jpegFarfalla_2022SubaruForester1 (resized).jpegFarfalla_2022SubaruForester2 (resized).jpegFarfalla_2022SubaruForester2 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
    #2316 9 months ago

Good luck random internet stranger doing a key word search in 3 years!

Your post only had 1 upvote in 4-something years. I gave it another just for the line above.

Oh, and here is some quasi-topic-related content: I offered to help a friend pick up a Stargate with my 2022 Forester Wilderness because his wife had the minivan out of state. Based on analysis (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/size-of-stargate-cabinet-while-folded), and confirmed by seller measurements, I could not help. Stargate height = 32" with backbox folded. 2022 Forester max height at rear opening is ~31.25".

1 week later
    #2344 9 months ago

DanMarino
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/47#post-7676984

There is no text and no indication of the vehicle, even in the photo name. In it's current form, this isn't much help to most people. Maybe you can add something?

#2348 9 months ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Looks like a Honda Fit

Thanks.

Quoted from DanMarino:

If you know the car, you know.

Yeah, I suppose. I see now, thanks to bigguybbr .

8 months later
    #2556 14 days ago

I am a huge fan of my 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness. Any version of the wilderness will fit any pin excepting Gottilieb system 3s, P3s, and oddballs like Big Guns and Hercules. I have the Wilderness that fits everything, but the base model without the sunroof has an even bigger opening. If you get the Wilderness edition and a tow hitch, you to 5 in a U-haul and one in the trunk, so I can literally take my entire collection. It is the smallest vehicle I could find that could fit a pin and tow my collection.

If you don't plan on towing, the non-wilderness edition gets better gas mileage. All have all wheel drive, excellent visibility, and plenty of room for my 6'4" frame. You can fit 2 adults up front, but you cannot sit anyone in the rear while moving a pin (need a minivan for that). You cannot fit an upright arcade in the back. Safety features are excellent with great backup camera, blindspot monitoring, and fancy cameras to assist cruise control, braking, and keeping it in the lanes. My only regret with my car is that I wish I had gotten the blue one!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=santaeatscheese#op

You and I both, @santaeatscheese! Only, I got the Blue 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness edition. I also added the tow hitch (dealer install) and a 7-pin connector (aftermarket install) so that I can tow a small teardrop trailer with electronic brake assist and slowly charge the teardrop battery while driving.

Another data point. This week HughesDForce and I safely moved a Jersey Jack wide body pinball machine (Hobbit), an appliance dolly, 2 large tool bags, and 2 largish people in a 2022 Subaru Forester.

The only machine that would *not* fit in the 2022 Subaru Forester, based on Pinside research and measurements from the seller, is a Stargate (Gottlieb System 3). Without taking the backbox off the hinges and sliding it down, it is too tall to fit. I was trying to help a friend make a local purchase on a day that his wife or child had the minivan, and we had to pass (seller was hesitant to let us take it apart to try, and we were OK with that).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tq=&tu=adaminski
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpgHobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adaminski.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=Adaminski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.