Topic Stats

• 2,567 posts
  • 809 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 minutes ago by king_pin
  • Topic is favorited by 187 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.55?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.35?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,567 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 52.
    #2201 1 year ago

There's a real scarcity of information about newer model years, though. The pinwiki page hardly lists anything newer than like 2012 or so for most marques. Cars in the small-SUV size range get redesigned constantly and the loading hatch area and upper rear corner structure can be completely different year to year.

I guess nobody is buying new model year cars for pins; anyone who's spending on a vehicle rather than a pin is buying something that's big enough to not be concerned.

#2202 1 year ago

I've been trying to look up cargo dimensions on a lot of newer cars lately, and one of the best sources has been youtube car reviews. Plus you get the benefit of seeing how the seats fold down, and all the other stuff that can make fitting a pin a challenge, where it seems like it should work on paper.

#2203 1 year ago
    Quoted from monitorpop:

2021 BMW X3 does NOT fit a standard pin with the back box folded down. Tried and failed w/ Rick and Morty a couple months ago. Corners can’t make it past the curved roof opening.
    (Site shows BMW X3 2003-2014 fits but I couldn’t find anything more recent)

Same problem with the newer x3. Ended up removing the backbox, but then it was a little too long. I did not try disconnecting the backbox from the cabinet and sliding it down towards the front of the machine though. In retrospect, this may have worked, since only the top corners of the backbox seemed to be an issue, and since the front of the machine is shorter than the back. If I ever move one again, I will try this method.

#2204 1 year ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

Anyone able to find clearance for the VW ID4? Thinking about future vehicle and can't find that spec yet. The local dealership wasn't much help either while they await the first shipment.

Does anyone have confirmation on the ID4? I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that a pin won't fit, but I can't seem to confirm that anywhere.

#2205 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

What model year HR-V is this? I'm looking to get one to fit a pin, but all the small SUVs constantly get different redesigns year to year, particularly around the loading hatch area.

It’s a 2021

#2206 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Does anyone have confirmation on the ID4? I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that a pin won't fit, but I can't seem to confirm that anywhere.

Hey arcyallen, great question! I measured a VW ID.4 today, and the opening is roughly 27" high. It appears that it will not fit as-is.

#2207 1 year ago

We need Xzibit to bring back Pimp My Ride to do an episode where they just mod the opening of trunks to be able to fit a pin.

#2208 1 year ago

It's kind of crazy and people might hate this idea...
    But at this moment (maybe 5 minutes later I'll change my mind), I'm thinking Pinball manufacturers should adjust the cabinet+head to fit the smaller hatch opening trend in SUVs.
    Just adjusting the cabinet height by an 1" and the backbox depth by an 1" would make it much easier.

Note: NO! I don't want pins to look like little mini-fridges. But a little smaller when folded, maybe tapered in the right way... could help big time.

Realistically the car manufacturers don't give a (ding) about fitting pinballs. Yet the pinball manufacturers should consider making life easier for regular buyer.

#2209 1 year ago
    Quoted from altan:

I'm thinking Pinball manufacturers should adjust the cabinet+head to fit the smaller hatch opening trend in SUVs.
    Just adjusting the cabinet height by an 1" and the backbox depth by an 1" would make it much easier.

It’s an interesting discussion, and it made me go downstairs with a tape measure.

Modern Stern heads are 27.75” wide and 8” deep.
    Congo is 28.75” wide and 6.5”-10” deep.
    Rolling Stones (1980) is 30.25” wide and 10-11” deep.

I don’t remember any ruckus on Pinside when Stern quietly changed the head from wedge-shaped to rectangular, starting with the metal heads.

I don’t remember any bitching on RGP when Stern made pins that were 1” narrower than 90’s B/W.

And while I love my early 80’s games, they’re a pain in the ass because I have to take my door off its hinges to get them into the house.

All that being said, if you buy an SUV that can only haul pins from 2023 on, you’re locking yourself out of a lot of great games. Or, you’ll have to rent a van to get those older games.

#2210 1 year ago

Here's a funny thing: the backbox on Heighway Pinball's games was only ~4" deep (compared to ~8" on most other games) -- and importantly, quickly detached from the body with a few bolts and a couple cable connectors. The style was excoriated on Pinside for looking weird in a lineup of other games.

Next time you're trying to slide a game into your SUV, think how much you'd like it if the head was half the depth, or even less.

It really feels anchored in the past to have games shipping in 2023 with these huge backboxes that mostly have empty air in them. I wonder when manufacturers will catch on to that.

#2212 1 year ago

The problem isn't the size of the head, it's the fact that in general you can't quickly disconnect it.

If the industry moved to a system of wiring connections that made it easy to disconnect the head from the body, nobody would have an issue. Could likely even fit two pins into a large enough SUV instead of one.

Would also make it easier to move in and out of basements, for example. Win Win Win.

#2213 1 year ago

Let’s just all be glad that Pinball 2k only lasted for 2 games. I love my RFM, but I’m never moving that game again.

#2214 1 year ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

The problem isn't the size of the head, it's the fact that in general you can't quickly disconnect it.
    If the industry moved to a system of wiring connections that made it easy to disconnect the head from the body, nobody would have an issue. Could likely even fit two pins into a large enough SUV instead of one.
    Would also make it easier to move in and out of basements, for example. Win Win Win.

If you only collect EM games, this is your reality! Everything is 2-4 connectors, 2-4 bolts to take the head off. Modern Sterns do have a pretty minimal number of connectors though.

#2215 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

If you only collect EM games, this is your reality! Everything is 2-4 connectors, 2-4 bolts to take the head off. Modern Sterns do have a pretty minimal number of connectors though.

Yeah, I loved moving my 1 EM machine. Take the head off (easy) and cart it to the basement. Then come back for the body. Simple. Easy to put in the car too.

#2216 1 year ago

2006 Ford Escape XLS
    NIB Stern fits even with seat still in. I normally remove seat as its only one clip holding it in.

2006Escape_withPin (resized).png2006Escape_withPin (resized).png
    #2217 1 year ago

2015 Nissan Murano
    NIB Stern does NOT fit. It is not tall enough for box. This Murano opening is only 29" tall.
    Head would need to be removed if out of box also.

2015Murano_back (resized).jpg2015Murano_back (resized).jpg
    #2218 1 year ago

I did some shopping and research today, posting the results in case it helps anyone. I built a mockup of the size of a folded Stern from PVC pipe, and used it to test several vehicles at a few dealerships.

pvc (resized).JPGpvc (resized).JPG

The test piece is 30.75 inches in height, very slightly oversized for a Stern which is about 30.25, and a Bally/Williams is slightly shorter at about 29.5.

Results:

Honda: 2021 model year HR-V and CR-V both fit very well - both of these have the fully flat folded seat backs, that the 2023 models don't.

2023 HR-V and CR-V are both right on the borderline - the mockup fit with some pushing but the pipes were bent slightly so it's hard to tell for sure. The 2023 CR-V in particular has an awkward lump in the folded back seat that is troublesome. You could probably do it with a trick like sliding the backbox towards the coin door or loading the machine on its side.

Hyundai: Definitely no for the 2023 Venue and Kona. Yes for the Tucson, fully fit easily.

Toyota: No for the 2023 Corolla Cross and Venza. Borderline yes for the Rav-4 but with millimeters to spare for clearance.

Chevrolet: No for the 2023 Trax and Trailblazer. Borderline but probably no for the Equinox and Blazer, the hatch clearance on each is about an inch too short, maybe yes sideways or by sliding the backbox.

I didn't get to Kia today but intend to try a Seltos and Soul next week.

(Of course, take anyone else's firsthand information as more authoritative than my mockup.)

#2219 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

I did some shopping and research today, posting the results in case it helps anyone. I built a mockup of the size of a folded Stern from PVC pipe, and used it to test several vehicles at a few dealerships.
    [quoted image]
    The test piece is 30.75 inches in height, very slightly oversized for a Stern which is about 30.25, and a Bally/Williams is slightly shorter at about 29.5.
    Results:
    Honda: 2021 model year HR-V and CR-V both fit very well - both of these have the fully flat folded seat backs, that the 2023 models don't.
    2023 HR-V and CR-V are both right on the borderline - the mockup fit with some pushing but the pipes were bent slightly so it's hard to tell for sure. The 2023 CR-V in particular has an awkward lump in the folded back seat that is troublesome. You could probably do it with a trick like sliding the backbox towards the coin door or loading the machine on its side.
    Hyundai: Definitely no for the 2023 Venue and Kona. Yes for the Tucson, fully fit easily.
    Toyota: No for the 2023 Corolla Cross and Venza. Borderline yes for the Rav-4 but with millimeters to spare for clearance.
    Chevrolet: No for the 2023 Trax and Trailblazer. Borderline but probably no for the Equinox and Blazer, the hatch clearance on each is about an inch too short, maybe yes sideways or by sliding the backbox.
    (Of course, take anyone else's firsthand information as more authoritative than my mockup.)

Didn't you try the Santa Fe?

#2220 1 year ago

I didn't try the Santa Fe. It's larger than the Tucson which worked so I didn't bother with the bigger one. (although that isn't a guarantee, it's possible for the larger vehicle to still have a shorter hatch opening.)

#2221 1 year ago

vikingerik Impressive effort there.
    I need to ask -- how did the sales people at the dealerships react to your testing?

#2222 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

2021 Ford Explorer XLT incoming. I don’t get a choice of company cars, but I’m hopeful based on previous posts that this will be able to fit DMD/LCD era Sterns

We have a 2021 ST and so far it fits modern LCD sterns, dmd sterns, CGC, and Capcom games, backbox on, no boxes. Just barely. You have a fraction of an inch around the hatch opening, decent amount of room inside once you clear that.

#2223 1 year ago
    Quoted from altan:

vikingerik Impressive effort there.
    I need to ask -- how did the sales people at the dealerships react to your testing?

Polite and professional and accommodating. This was actually pretty easy for them since I wasn't test driving which involves a lot more time and paperwork. I expected weird looks but they all just said okay to everything. None objected at all, even to trying three or four different models of cars. Mostly I could see on their faces that they were just hoping it would fit so I'd buy from them. And when it didn't, they happily suggested the next larger model. The fact that it was pinball didn't matter to any of them, except for one guy who knew the hobby a little bit, said his uncle had a garage with machines and talked about playing Indy 500 at a bar in college.

#2224 1 year ago

There were a couple of posts mentioning the 2022 RAV4 Prime will fit a modern pin—barely. What about the 2023? I’d appreciate anyone’s experience/tips with the 2022 or 2023 versions, as I’ve got a Prime on order. Thanks.

#2225 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

There were a couple of posts mentioning the 2022 RAV4 Prime will fit a modern pin—barely. What about the 2023? I’d appreciate anyone’s experience/tips with the 2022 or 2023 versions, as I’ve got a Prime on order. Thanks.

The Motortrend International Autoshow is coming to Baltimore this Weekend. They bring 500ish new cars to the Baltimore convention center. I took measuring tape with me last year to confirm dimensions on a Subaru Forester before confirming that was what I wanted to order. I'm probably going to stay away this year (I just got a new car), but if you or anyone in the area is looking at a new car its a great place to go. There are way more people than salesmen so you can generally pop in and out of any car you want to. They had a Rav4 Prime present last year.

#2226 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

I tested a 2023 RAV4 with a mockup, a few posts up in this thread. It fit, just barely, and it's about a half-inch oversized, so a pin should. (I don't know if what I tested was a Prime or if there's any body difference with that.) At worst it definitely would if you unbolt the head to slide down the cabinet a little bit.

#2227 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

I tested a 2023 RAV4 with a mockup, a few posts up in this thread. It fit, just barely, and it's about a half-inch oversized, so a pin should. (I don't know if what I tested was a Prime or if there's any body difference with that.) At worst it definitely would if you unbolt the head to slide down the cabinet a little bit.

Thanks. That makes sense. The Prime definitely has a bit less storage space, but sounds like it would still probably work.

#2228 1 year ago
    Quoted from oooPIVYooo:

Same problem with the newer x3. Ended up removing the backbox, but then it was a little too long. I did not try disconnecting the backbox from the cabinet and sliding it down towards the front of the machine though. In retrospect, this may have worked, since only the top corners of the backbox seemed to be an issue, and since the front of the machine is shorter than the back. If I ever move one again, I will try this method.

Today I fit a CFTBL in my 2020 x3 with only the top folded down, nothing but the legs needed removing. It was a tight fit but cleared the ceiling by about 1/4"

#2229 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing @GorillaBiscuits, I was looking at a 2021 HR-V the same day you posted that and I ended up getting it! Nice pinhauler

#2230 1 year ago

Yeah, I'm probably going for a 2021/2022 model year HR-V too. If you don't want a big SUV in general, it's by far the smallest and lightest car that can fit a pin. Nothing else in the subcompact or even compact SUV class works. Likely not even the 2023 HR-V, which was redesigned with a different shape and doesn't have the fully flat folded seat backs.

Added 13 months ago:

(edit - the reply is right, the Rav4, CR-V, and Seltos are classified as compacts even if I wasn't thinking of them that way because they're on the larger end of the class)

#2231 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Nothing else in the subcompact or even compact SUV class works.

Not true.....Not subcompacts, but Tuscon, RAV4, CR-V, and Forester will all haul pins in the compact SUV class...

#2232 1 year ago

Anyone know if i could put 2 Stern NIB side by side (laying down) on a pick up truck flat bed?

I have two games to pick up and instead of doing 2 trips with my SUV i was thinking of renting a pickup truck to do them both at once. Entreprise has good rate near my place for a Chevrolet Colorado or a F150.

#2233 1 year ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

Anyone know if i could put 2 Stern NIB side by side (laying down) on a pick up truck flat bed?
    I have two games to pick up and instead of doing 2 trips with my SUV i was thinking of renting a pickup truck to do them both at once. Entreprise has good rate near my place for a Chevrolet Colorado or a F150.

I don't think there is any way you could put them side by side laying down in boxes. I do think they would fit standing up one in front of the other. I don't know this for sure and it depends on what style of pickup you rent. My guess is, side by side would require somewhere around 5.5 to 6 feet wide.

#2234 1 year ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

Are you saying a flat bed truck or a regular pickup truck bed? If flat bed, I would say probably no issues. In a regular truck bed you will want to stand them on end and two should be ok, but maybe the tailgate doesn't shut depending on the length of the bed.

#2235 1 year ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Are you saying a flat bed truck or a regular pickup truck bed? If flat bed, I would say probably no issues. In a regular truck bed you will want to stand them on end and two should be ok, but maybe the tailgate doesn't shut depending on the length of the bed.

right, i meant regular pickup truck bed, so sounds like it will be a little tight, may have to go with a cargo van then

#2236 1 year ago

Anyone moved a modern Stern pin in a 2022 Kia Telluride? I've seen postings of earlier models working but I'm always nervous they've made changes to the hatch since then. Thanks!

#2237 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Results:

This is important consumer research! Good work!

My 2022 CX-5 has a floor that can be adjusted lower than default/standard. Maybe something to look out for when demo-ing the various SUVs - I'm not sure how common of a design that is.

#2238 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Thanks for the summary contribution.

I'm surprised by your assessment of the Hyundai Tucson. I measured the 2022 and there was no way a Stern or JJP with the head folded down would fit. I was bummed because it was a highly rated car by Consumer Reports. The Tucson had a complete redesign for 2022, so I wouldn't expect that the 2023 was different. Sadly, I have no photo documentation of my trip to the Hyundai dealer, as it was a non-starter at the time. I'm really curious as to the difference, but my advice would be to verify vikingerik 's results.

The 2022 Toyota RAV4 was my preferred car. My measurements (first 3 photos below) indicate it is just fine for a Stern or JJP with the head folded down. Seems like no major 2023 redesign.

My measurements of a 2022 Honda CR-V agree with your assessment (last 5 photos below). Seems like no major 2023 redesign.

I ended up with a Subaru Forester:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/42#post-7182524
    and
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/43#post-7307068

I cleaned up the captions so that the car model will show if you hover with mouse pointer in a web browser. I assume they are visible somehow on a phone or tablet...

Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Toyota RAV4Honda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-VHonda CR-V

#2239 1 year ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

This is important consumer research! Good work!
    My 2022 CX-5 has a floor that can be adjusted lower than default/standard. Maybe something to look out for when demo-ing the various SUVs - I'm not sure how common of a design that is.

Removing the back seat lower cushion is easy too. Just two quick release clips and three electrical connectors. This allows the seatbacks to fold flat and gives about 1/2" -3/4" more headroom.

#2240 1 year ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

My measurements of a 2022 Honda CR-V agree with your assessment (last 5 photos below). Seems like no major 2023 redesign.

The Honda CR-V did have a significant redesign for the 2023 model year. I tried one with my test piece. The back seats don't fold flat - they stick up quite a bit, and my test didn't fit in one because of that. I don't know if the seat cushion can be moved or removed somehow to make it possible.

The Tucson definitely fit my test - I remember the salesman sort of lighting up that it fit and sort of not, that he hoped I'd go for the pricier Santa Fe instead.

#2241 1 year ago

The Ford F-250 will carry somewhere between a few and a bunch.

20230319_232302 (resized).jpg20230319_232302 (resized).jpg
    #2242 1 year ago

Does a newer stern fit in a New Ford Bronco? Looking to buy one with removable top and doors. Checking to see if it will carry one machine.
    4F2B176B-2A60-4A9B-8689-E46A7FE0CE5F (resized).jpeg4F2B176B-2A60-4A9B-8689-E46A7FE0CE5F (resized).jpeg

#2243 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Does a newer stern fit in a New Ford Bronco? Looking to buy one with removable top and doors. Checking to see if it will carry one machine.
    [quoted image]

It’s almost the same as a wrangler, I suspect a new game will fit without issue, potentially on the pallet…. However I am curious how the back seats fold

#2244 1 year ago

Bally 6803 will not fit into a 2018 forester unless you take head off

#2245 1 year ago

Silly question, I have a 2016 Prius, standard model.

The thing loads a ton of stuff, and I'm guessing widebody JJP's wouldn't be an issue.

My biggest question/fear is what's the easiest way to load from street level?

As in, removing from a dolley, onto say cardboard on a brick road, then lifting which end into the hatch.

I've got myself and my friend who's a gal, and we've moved games in boxes up into my house, usually with the help from a driver, (plus tip!).

Just trying to not freak myself out when I need to do this in an upcoming month or so.

Does anyone recommend any particular videos for tips?

#2246 1 year ago
    Quoted from wesman:

The thing loads a ton of stuff, and I'm guessing widebody JJP's wouldn't be an issue.
    As in, removing from a dolley, onto say cardboard on a brick road, then lifting which end into the hatch.
    I've got myself and my friend who's a gal, and we've moved games in boxes up into my house, usually with the help from a driver, (plus tip!).
    Just trying to not freak myself out when I need to do this in an upcoming month or so.

Not sure it will fit, need verification with that one.

I load coin door first so I can pull the game out and set onto its Butt. With two people one on each side tip the game and coffin carry it into the car, on coardboard help push/slide it in.

Have other games fit in? I’d be curious about the roof line /rear window and the head of the game

#2247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

A local pinhead had one briefly. (Ended up being an actual lemon and returned) I know he wouldn't have bought it in the first place if a pin wouldn't fit as he trades games very frequently.

#2248 1 year ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Anyone moved a modern Stern pin in a 2022 Kia Telluride? I've seen postings of earlier models working but I'm always nervous they've made changes to the hatch since then. Thanks!

PinHigh1 You delivered my Jack*Bot in a Telluride - what model year was it?

At any rate, that Telluride looked like it had plenty of space to spare.

#2249 1 year ago
    Quoted from wesman:

My wife is usually the one to help me move games. And we have about the same strength so we work smarter not harder.

Lay a blanket over the bumper to protect it. Cut a piece of cardboard and lay it in the back of the car near the bumper, on top of the blanket. Stand the game up on its back end and spin it around so the bottom faces the car. Spacing is important here so you might have to try a couple times but you probably want the game to be a foot and a half from the car. Tip the game down onto the bumper so it's resting there at like a 45 degree angle. Now use the bumper as a fulcrum point as you both lift the back of the game. The trick is to lift the back and flip the coin door end down onto that cardboard which is a sled that will slide on the carpet making your life way easier. So it's a lift and then slide.

If there is a hump for the rear seats you'll need a couple 2x4s as rails but the cardboard will slide nicely on them too.

#2250 1 year ago

Need to pick up my WCS 94 tomorrow and I drive a 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Only thing I am worried about is height of the pin folded down. The rear hatch only had about 29.5” of clearance

If knows the height of WCS folded down I would love to know.

Thx

There are 2,567 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/45?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.