Topic Stats

• 2,084 posts
  • 704 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

316092030_10160241924886271_1712898153783903821_n (resized).jpg
    316066487_10160241924951271_4897527273722001293_n (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Subaru and dogs (resized).jpg
    20221008_191113 (resized).jpg
    20221009_111330 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6047 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6046 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6042 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0297 (resized).JPG
    9C73ED88-19E2-44F8-9685-E8331193BBDD (resized).jpeg
    23639B13-332A-4228-97A4-8C1A6CE3F34E (resized).jpeg
    20220909_180418 (resized).jpg
    20220823_182318 (2) (resized).jpg
    20220823_161155 (2) (resized).jpg
    20220823_161145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.
    #2051 59 days ago
    Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

2023 Kia Sportage? anyone know if these work for spike sterns

I think I measured that one at 31.5" - it was the XSP model but I think they are all the same.

1 week later
    #2052 51 days ago

2018 Honda CRV fits one modern stern machine with the back seats folded down flat. It slid in easily on it's bottom side, with the front / coindoor facing the front of the car, and the head folded down. The door closes, and I still could fit the dolly in with it.

#2053 51 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

A 2022 Subaru Forester will fit every pinball machine ever made excepting Hercules and P3. Note that Gottilieb System 3s have to go in in their side. The doggy Matt rear protector they sell is perfect for protecting pins. 1500 pound towing capacity on all models but the wilderness which can tow 3,000. So if you rent a u-haul 5×8 you can fit 6. The perfect pin hauler.

Here she is swallowing super Mario Brothers like a good girl.

Thanks for the info. I measured the back opening of the 2022 Forester at 31.25" and 31.75" (edge and center), but noted that the ceiling dropped down to about 30.25" where the seat belt comes out about 9-10" in from the opening on the back right. I measured Stern Star Wars maximum height at about 30-30.25", so knocked the Forester off my list. Have you transported a modern Stern?

IMG_6042 (resized).jpegIMG_6046 (resized).jpegIMG_6047 (resized).jpeg
    #2054 51 days ago

2007 Hummer H3. Lay the rear seats down = and you can fit a 1993 Gottlieb Gladiators in there.

#2055 50 days ago

A 2022 forrester will absolutely fit a modern stern without issue. Since I already had the games wrapped from the York show I did a test fit. Hermit is holding a Deadpool. No rub on ceiling. This is in a 2022 subaru forester wilderness edition with sunroof. All models but the base are the same in the back except the base without sunroof which his actually bigger. Confirmed you can haul 5 in a 5x8 u-haul with the wilderness edition as well. What you cannot do is keep one rear seat up with the modern stern.

20221008_191113 (resized).jpg20221009_111330 (resized).jpg
    #2056 50 days ago

A 2022 forrester will absolutely fit a modern stern without issue. Since I already had the games wrapped from the York show I did a test fit. Hermit is holding a Deadpool. No rub on ceiling. This is in a 2022 subaru forester wilderness edition with sunroof. All models but the base are the same in the back except the base without sunroof which his actually bigger. Confirmed you can haul 5 in a 5x8 u-haul with the wilderness edition as well. What you cannot do is keep one rear seat up with the modern stern.

Thanks! I have a 2017 Outback, purchased before pinball entered our lives in 2018. I was set on a 2022 RAV4 hybrid because of MPG and the height. But almost all Toyota dealers in the Seattle area mark them up $5000-$6000 to get them to "blue book" prices. $44k+tax/reg is hard to swallow for an XLE Premium (need Softex for dogs). One dealer 45-60 minutes away sells at MSRP based on orders only (unless you happen to be on the lot the day they have the trim that you want), so they are now selling 2023s.

So I'm looking at the Subaru Forester again. My dealer has a blue wilderness edition on the lot today. If it's still there when the Seahawks game ends at 1:00 locally, I may go buy it. They do look sweet.

#2057 50 days ago

A 2022 forrester will absolutely fit a modern stern without issue. Since I already had the games wrapped from the York show I did a test fit. Hermit is holding a Deadpool. No rub on ceiling. This is in a 2022 subaru forester wilderness edition with sunroof. All models but the base are the same in the back except the base without sunroof which his actually bigger. Confirmed you can haul 5 in a 5x8 u-haul with the wilderness edition as well. What you cannot do is keep one rear seat up with the modern stern.[quoted image][quoted image]

I have towed pins with my 2018 Forester XT.
    Observations I can share:
    1). Use an OBD app and watch your fluid temperatures. On a 150 mile fwy only trip, I was concerned with AT/CVT temps I saw. That was towing two pins in a10' enclosed trailer in 60deg rainy weather. From that experience, I planned on adding an additional AT cooler before I bought a more capable towing vehicle.
    2). The ratio Subaru chose for reverse is ridiculously tall. With anything over 1000 lbs and an incline, the CVT just wants to slip. In a couple cases it flat refused to move. This was also in X mode, were I found the tightening of the diffs, lowered ratios and softened throttle response worked fantastic for forward direction. But for some inexplicable reason doesn't affect reverse. Keep in mind the XT has the "high torque" CVT, so one would it expect it to perform better under high demand situations.
    3). I hauled a max of 4 pins in my trailer for a short 15 mile run. Again the transmission was clearly unhappy with any starts and any hills. I found it best to use S# mode where it locks the CVT into 8 pre defined ratios and used the paddle shifters to manage things. Even then, it didn't feel great.

I wanted the FXT to be the perfect pin hauler. Hopefully the new models have improvements to the transmission behavior but I would suggest keeping a close eye on it.

#2058 50 days ago

STTNG will fit in a 2020 Honda Fit.

#2059 50 days ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

Everything fits in the Honda Fit.

#2060 49 days ago
    Quoted from Adaminski:

So I'm looking at the Subaru Forester again. My dealer has a blue wilderness edition on the lot today. If it's still there when the Seahawks game ends at 1:00 locally, I may go buy it. They do look sweet.

Thanks to all those who provided info to this thread over the past few years, and to RobF and sataneatscheese for specific info in the past few days. Here is a summary of my search for a small SUV that will transport a pinball machine in 2022.

After looking at several vehicles in person, my research told me that the 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE Premium (with weather package) was the best car for my driving, pinball moving, activities, and dog park needs at the MSRP price point that I was willing to pay. It has enough height over the entire back seat and cargo areas because the roof is flat with no protrusions, it gets great combined gas mileage, and drives/rides well enough (even though Consumer Reports isn't a big fan of 2022 RAV4). But it sells for $4k-$6k over MSRP in our area, and getting a desired color is very challenging. I could order one for delivery at MSRP since I wasn't in a hurry, but I really didn't want to wait months for 2023 models.

We could afford a more expensive car, but I like a car that works for me and gets the jobs done, and that I'm not going to worry about all the wear and tear that life gives things. I appreciate better cars, but I'm not a "car guy." We could have gone the used route, but I prefer to spend my spare time fixing and maintaining pinball machines, working on projects around the house, playing racquet sports, going to dog parks and for walks and hikes, etc. I don't want to worry & spend time researching repairs (so I know what the mechanic is recommending) and possibly have down time on a vehicle that is already 5+ years old. Also, there isn't as much depreciation on models that are only 3 years old.

I've had a 2017 Outback Limited since new and like the brand here in the PNW. Local Subaru dealers are still selling at MSRP. My local dealer just got in a Forester Wilderness in Geyser Blue that looked really sharp to us and ticked all the check boxes. Also, for some reason Consumer Reports loves the 2022 Forester. I know that the height will be a bit tight due to the seat belt protrusion in the roof, but since pinball machine moving is an infrequent occurrence I figure I can deal with it.

Bought the Forester Sunday. Took my daughter back to college (50 miles one way) last night, and took our first dog park trip today. I'll post a photo when we move our first pin a month or two.

Subaru and dogs (resized).jpg
    #2061 48 days ago

Repost from earlier in this thread. More proof that a 2020-era Forester is all good with a modern Stern. The pin height is VERY tight on mine. I had to remove the rubber mat to get it in. But in it went, along with a 60" Escalera w/big wheels, a hydraulic lift cart with custom tilting mechanism, toolbox, cooler, etc. Made for the perfect MGC hauler this year. I have the Sport model and absolutely love it.

pasted_image (resized).png

#2062 48 days ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

I would like to see a picture of this.

#2063 48 days ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Honda Fits will fit any game with room to spare. My wife has one and we've taken a Demo Man in it once. My 2010 Honda Insight will also work for any game as long as I can take the head off of it.

#2064 48 days ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Never hauled a STNG, but I might have pics of hobbit, Demo Man, or TZ. I’ll have to check my old phone.

#2065 47 days ago

Has anybody attempted to move a WPC Era Machine in a 2018 Rav4 Hybrid?

#2066 47 days ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Never hauled a STNG, but I might have pics of hobbit, Demo Man, or TZ. I’ll have to check my old phone.

That's awesome. My dad ran my Element in to a pole so may be looking for another pin hauler soon which will double as a first car for my daughter.

#2067 47 days ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

Honda Fits will fit any game with room to spare.

Almost any game.

I think Devil's Dare would be both too long and too tall. DD barely fit in my 2017 CRV, but it fit. Is Black Hole the same size? Are there others? Not sure.

1 week later
    #2068 37 days ago

I was so excited about getting a Hobbit, I forgot to take a picture. I can confirm it fits in a 2020 Honda Fit. The sellers of the machine were a little doubtful it was going to fit but it slide right in.

2 weeks later
    #2069 20 days ago

I'm wondering if there are any somewhat current vehicles that can easily fit 2 newer sterns in?

I'm likely going go with renting a Cargo van but I'm wondering if there is anything else that would work. Not interested in removing a head.

Thanks

#2070 20 days ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I'm wondering if there are any somewhat current vehicles that can easily fit 2 newer sterns in?
    I'm likely going go with renting a Cargo van but I'm wondering if there is anything else that would work. Not interested in removing a head.
    Thanks

Any minivan where the seats fold flat will work. Odyssey and Sienna.

#2071 20 days ago

Any minivan where the seats fold flat will work. Odyssey and Sienna.

I'm assuming one would go width way through the doors and the other would go long way?

There's a 2022 Chevrolet Suburban available. Wondering if that would work. Would hate to get there and it doesn't.

I will look for a Sienna or an Odyssey

#2072 20 days ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I'm assuming one would go width way through the doors and the other would go long way?
    There's a 2022 Chevrolet Suburban available. Wondering if that would work. Would hate to get there and it doesn't.
    I will look for a Sienna or an Odyssey

Here are some photos https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=sataneatscheese#op

#2073 20 days ago

Wow! That's impressive.

Thank you for sharing the link.

1 week later
    #2074 11 days ago

Does any one have experience with a Mazda Cx-30?

#2075 6 days ago

A WPC will fit in a Gen 4 Hybrid Rav 4, but it is not a fun experience. What a PIA. Time to go an ice the back.

316066487_10160241924951271_4897527273722001293_n (resized).jpg316092030_10160241924886271_1712898153783903821_n (resized).jpg
    #2076 6 days ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

A WPC will fit in a Gen 4 Hybrid Rav 4, but it is not a fun experience. What a PIA. Time to go an ice the back.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like an easy fit in the Rav 4 Hybrid, where was the problem??

#2077 6 days ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

That looks like an easy fit in the Rav 4 Hybrid, where was the problem??

It's hard to see in this pic, but the seats don't fold down flat and stick up at an immense age. So you are pushing the pin "uphill" considerably when trying to get it in. One of the steepest inclines I have ever seen in a backseat.

#2078 6 days ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

It's hard to see in this pic, but the seats don't fold down flat and stick up at an immense age. So you are pushing the pin "uphill" considerably when trying to get it in. One of the steepest inclines I have ever seen in a backseat.

Ahhh, yes, I can see that, I thought the opening looked fine and was a bit surprised to hear it was a struggle. You need to find a way to slide the front up the "hill". Carpet sliders under the front or a pipe to roll it along as it's going in there. Was there still clearance on the ceiling where the head is close? Rav 4 Hybrid is a vehicle I am considering for my next upgrade.

#2079 6 days ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Ahhh, yes, I can see that, I thought the opening looked fine and was a bit surprised to hear it was a struggle. You need to find a way to slide the front up the "hill". Carpet sliders under the front or a pipe to roll it along as it's going in there. Was there still clearance on the ceiling where the head is close? Rav 4 Hybrid is a vehicle I am considering for my next upgrade.

It's something with this Gen, this was a 2018 so a Gen 4. From what I have read, this gen is an issue for sure because of the battery bump. I don't know what of anything would have made it easier. Just happy it is done and my friend could bring his pin home to his fam for the holidays.

I have never had a more difficult time loading a game.

#2080 2 days ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Carpet sliders under the front or a pipe to roll it along as it's going in there.

My '21 rav4 hybrid is the same. I use a hunk of waxy cardboard like the campaign signs that people put in their yards. Need to pull a bit on the front to start it up on to the back seats. Those signs slide so good the pin will move around when I take a turn if I leave it under there.

#2081 1 day ago

ANyone fit a pin in a jeep gladiator?

#2082 1 day ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

ANyone fit a pin in a jeep gladiator?

Isn't that essentially a pickup truck? I can't imagine it would be a problem.

Chris

#2083 1 day ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Isn't that essentially a pickup truck? I can't imagine it would be a problem.
    Chris

It is but the bed is a little short. With the tailgate down Im sure it fits. Was seeing if it fits with gate up.

#2084 7 hours ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

It is but the bed is a little short. With the tailgate down Im sure it fits. Was seeing if it fits with gate up.

The bed is 60" Should be ok.

There are 2,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!