Topic Stats

• 2,563 posts
  • 808 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by mbl1116
  • Topic is favorited by 187 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.55?PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 6.29.35?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,563 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 52.
    #1901 2 years ago

Haven't seen any info for the newer models of the following. Any word on...

2019-2020 Models:
    Cadillac XT5
    Audi Q5
    Mercedes GLC
    Alfa Romeo Stelvio

I'm afraid I'm going to cross each one off my list if they can't fit a pin.

#1902 2 years ago

Q5 and GLC won't hold a modern pin, opening is too short, about 27".

#1903 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Any chance you're looking to sell it? Does it Fit a game?

I am looking to sell, but believe it or not there is already a couple guys in line. It fits every pin/brand I've encountered (also a dolly, tool box, and soft cooler). A+ pin hauler.

#1904 2 years ago

Modern stern basically doesn't fit into a 2022 Ascent without a lot of pushing and potential scratching. I got it in, but definitely not ideal

Added over 2 years ago:

Edit: 2021

#1905 2 years ago

2017 BMW X5 ok for Sterns. There is about 1/2" clearance once the game starts to ride up the back of the rear seats. It probably would have more clearance loading the other way, but I didn't try.

DSC09131 (resized).jpgDSC09131 (resized).jpg

It was a no go for the System11 however. The pictures are from my second attempt flipping the game around to coin door first which was actually worse. It was pretty close to making it with coin door last. It's possible it could have just squeaked through in that orientation if I had used thinner padding between the head and the rails (was using a moving blanket). I didn't think of this until I had already taken it back out spun it around. Also, probably would have been ok to detach the head from the hinge and slid it down a few inches. I stopped futzing with it and loaded it in the trailer instead.

DSC09138 (resized).jpgDSC09138 (resized).jpgDSC09137 (resized).jpgDSC09137 (resized).jpg

Added 22 months ago:

UPDATE: I was able to fit the System11. More info here; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/40#post-6954670

#1906 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

2017 BMW X5 ok for Sterns. There is about 1/2" clearance once the game starts to ride up the back of the rear seats. It probably would have more clearance loading the other way, but I didn't try.
    [quoted image]
    It was a no go for the System11 however. The pictures are from my second attempt flipping the game around to coin door first which was actually worse. It was pretty close to making it with coin door last. It's possible it could have just squeaked through in that orientation if I had used thinner padding between the head and the rails (was using a moving blanket). I didn't think of this until I had already taken it back out spun it around. Also, probably would have been ok to detach the head from the hinge and slid it down a few inches. I stopped futzing with it and loaded it in the trailer instead.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I'd think later System 11 machines might fit. The hinges on later ones land the backbox further down the cabinet so I bet they'd fit like the Stern did.

Chris

#1907 2 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Okay, so I've seen the Santa Cruz on the road, and saw one on display at a Costco in La Habra. Not only does it look like the bed is too short, but there's a roll down cover that would get in the way even if it was rolled away.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I've been following the development of the Santa Cruz since the concept stage. The original concept was pitched as an AWD turbo diesel that could haul, tow w/ a lot of torque, and get 40mpg in normal driving mode. Not only did it look great, but the bed was intentionally short but telescopic with tons of tiedown points. This would've allowed full dirt bikes to be transported. I think the telescoping extension was in the 12-16" range IIRC. Pic below.

What we ended up getting was the "Bean Counter" version which got neutered in fuel/engine, interior coolness, exterior ruggedness, and the bed is short with no telescoping feature. Instead you can buy a bed extender which is just a cage that extends the walls of the bed over the dropped tailgate. Oh, and the base price was far higher than teased.

Will it haul a pin with that built-in retractable cover taking up so much real estate? No idea. They lost me when I saw the first production model, and I was waiting for years for this thing to come. The Ford Maverick outshined it in almost every way (maybe except some styling).

26118-SANTACRUZCROSSOVERTRUCKCONCEPT (resized).jpg26118-SANTACRUZCROSSOVERTRUCKCONCEPT (resized).jpg

#1908 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Haven't seen any info for the newer models of the following. Any word on...
    2019-2020 Models:
    Cadillac XT5
    Audi Q5
    Mercedes GLC
    Alfa Romeo Stelvio
    I'm afraid I'm going to cross each one off my list if they can't fit a pin.

As a follow up to this, none were able to fit a pin. I didn't get to see the GLC but I got confirmation they don't fit. The Stelvio (F'ing sexy as hell) was the closest.

Quoted from Petes0281:

2020 BMW X3 barely fits a Taxi pin. Back hatch had to stay open about 8 inches. Tied the hatch so it wouldn't fully open and made it home safe 1 hr away.

Surprised to see this. I measured a 2020 X3 M40i next to the Stelvio I checked out and it measured as if it could fit most B/W and Sterns. Glad you got it home.

#1909 2 years ago

Ended up going with this, because I know it can fit a pin. Kiddo got right in it and instantly approved.

New Hotness (resized).jpgNew Hotness (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #1910 1 year ago

Does anyone know if a 2022 Kia Telluride or 2022 Hyundai Palisade will fit a new Stern? I just looked at them and I believe it will fit…looks like they have about 31” of clearance but want to be 100% sure.

#1911 1 year ago

2020 Infiniti Qx50 will not fit a new Stern, the back is curved and can’t make it through where it curves.

#1912 1 year ago

For a NIB Stern: the website lists the box as 31x31 (height not an issue for me). Is this accurate? Even a quarter inch larger might be an issue for me.

Trying to get a NIB into a 2019 Rav 4 and would like to transport in the box

#1913 1 year ago
    Quoted from eharan:

Does anyone know if a 2022 Kia Telluride or 2022 Hyundai Palisade will fit a new Stern? I just looked at them and I believe it will fit…looks like they have about 31” of clearance but want to be 100% sure.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/34#post-6316942

Not sure if they changed in 2022, but this post says the 2021 fits without issue.

Chris

#1914 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

For a NIB Stern: the website lists the box as 31x31 (height not an issue for me). Is this accurate? Even a quarter inch larger might be an issue for me.
    Trying to get a NIB into a 2019 Rav 4 and would like to transport in the box

Having just picked up a NIB GZ Prem, I measured the box at 31x32x57.

#1915 1 year ago

I measured my NIB AIQ as 31 x 30.5 before opening it. It made it through a 31" doorway.

#1916 1 year ago

Gottleib Premier (spring break) won't into a 2018 Forester unless you take backbox off

#1917 1 year ago

2020 Subaru Forester confirmed for a modern Stern, along with hydraulic life cart with custom tilting assembly, Escalera with big wheels, and a bunch of other stuff. Sport model with sunroof for what that’s worth. Fit like a (very tight) glove. Gently rubbed the roof going in, but not enough to damage pin or vehicle. Unfortunately I seriously doubt you could get a NIB stuffed in here.

B4E40AF2-1B87-48AF-8357-17CDD2B2CBF0 (resized).jpegB4E40AF2-1B87-48AF-8357-17CDD2B2CBF0 (resized).jpeg
    #1918 1 year ago
    Quoted from La4s:

The Dodge equivalent is the ProMaster City.

Yes, just saw a Promaster 3500 in a parking lot. Looks like it might be an appropriate size. Probably not so much with a model of theirs smaller than this.

1 week later
    #1919 1 year ago

Have a question along this subject? Was talking about EVs in another thread and wondered just how many of those EVs will a pin fit in?

Also one of the downside cons I heard is tire wear on them are greater than a regular vehicle. Would that put you off on using one as a pin hauler? I just replaced my tires on my Toyota Avalon and they weren't cheap.

#1920 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Have a question along this subject? Was talking about EVs in another thread and wondered just how many of those EVs will a pin fit in?
    Also one of the downside cons I heard is tire wear on them are greater than a regular vehicle. Would that put you off on using one as a pin hauler? I just replaced my tires on my Toyota Avalon and they weren't cheap.

I’d be interested if the Bolt EUV could get one in, even if the head has to come off.

#1921 1 year ago

2021 BMW X5 PHEV fits newer Stern pins. Since the seats don’t fold flat you are rubbing and pushing the roof liner. This might be a tight fit since I have the panoramic roof. I either have to jam it pressing the head up against the roof liner or remove the rear seats.

#1922 1 year ago
    Quoted from robnotto:

2021 BMW X5 PHEV fits newer Stern pins. Since the seats don’t fold flat you are rubbing and pushing the roof liner. This might be a tight fit since I have the panoramic roof. I either have to jam it pressing the head up against the roof liner or remove the rear seats.

Yeah - same on mine which is why I avoid using it to move pins. That tight rub would worry me.

What’s crazy is that my 2016 pilot doesn’t fit a NIB stern. Giant car yet in box kills it. Curious if anyone managed to get one in a pilot. Older pilots work np.

#1923 1 year ago

Does anyone know about fitting a pin in either a KIA Niro or Hyundai Kona?

#1924 1 year ago

Besides relative dimensions, another thing worth evaluating is the overall *brand reliability* scores. Some won't measure up well in that regard. Toyota and Honda have topped the list for years in regard to regular passenger car models, but I don't know whether that will necessarily carry over to their van or truck models, or which of those may apply to this conversation.

#1925 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Yeah - same on mine which is why I avoid using it to move pins. That tight rub would worry me.
    What’s crazy is that my 2016 pilot doesn’t fit a NIB stern. Giant car yet in box kills it. Curious if anyone managed to get one in a pilot. Older pilots work np.

It barely fits a stern out of the box, definitely not going to fit in the box.

#1926 1 year ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Besides relative dimensions, another thing worth evaluating is the overall *brand reliability* scores. Some won't measure up well in that regard. Toyota and Honda have topped the list for years in regard to regular passenger car models, but I don't know whether that will necessarily carry over to their van or truck models, or which of those may apply to this conversation.

Dodge doesn't score well on those typically, but my Durango has been awesome. 2015 R/T. V8 power (but not great gas mileage) can tow like crazy, is plenty fast, sounds great and has been solid for 100K miles so far! You'll find variances in everything though. A contractor at our house had a 2020 Tacoma and he said it was horrible. He's had nothing but problems with the transmission since day 1.

Chris

#1927 1 year ago

Modern Stern will only fit in a 2018-22 GMC Terrain SUV if you remove the backbox. Made it home safely after a 6 hour drive. Take lots of pictures of the connections.

4795314E-ABD7-4582-A124-8F950A5E3810 (resized).jpeg4795314E-ABD7-4582-A124-8F950A5E3810 (resized).jpeg
    #1928 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I’d be interested if the Bolt EUV could get one in, even if the head has to come off.

I haven't actually seen an EUV, but the dimensions are very close to the Bolt EV from a cargo perspective. The EUV has a little more length in the back seat passenger area. I have a Bolt EV and I can't see in any way how a pin would have a chance of fitting. Believe me, I've looked long and hard at it trying to see how it might work. I set mine up to pull a small trailer when I have to haul a pin. And no, the Bolt isn't rated for towing. So don't take this as an endorsement if you don't like to color outside the lines.

PXL_20201022_162140362 (Large).jpgPXL_20201022_162140362 (Large).jpg

Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Also one of the downside cons I heard is tire wear on them are greater than a regular vehicle.

I'm hesitant to respond to this as I hate to go down this road and derail this thread. Yes, you can go through tires quicker. As with anything it depends on how you drive and what you drive. People that are anti-EV have to grasp at something to criticize. Yes, there are disadvantages to an EV, but there are so many advantages that *possibly* going through tires quicker is something I'll gladly take.

#1929 1 year ago

I sold my Tesla Model 3 and will soon take delivery of a Model Y. I have a vague pipedream of maybe being able to haul a pin in one. Has anyone with a Model Y had success?

To the tire wear issue, I used regenerative braking on my Model 3. Basically rarely used the brakes, the car would charge the battery as it was slowing down. An unintended effect of this (other than having basically zero wear on brakes) was that the same tires that were accelerating the car were also braking the car. My rear tires wore down faster than my front tires. If you make heavy use of regenerative braking there are lots of advantages (range, reducing brake wear, etc) but you do need to rotate tires if only one pair is doing all the work of moving and stopping

#1930 1 year ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I haven't actually seen an EUV, but the dimensions are very close to the Bolt EV from a cargo perspective. The EUV has a little more length in the back seat passenger area. I have a Bolt EV and I can't see in any way how a pin would have a chance of fitting. Believe me, I've looked long and hard at it trying to see how it might work. I set mine up to pull a small trailer when I have to haul a pin. And no, the Bolt isn't rated for towing. So don't take this as an endorsement if you don't like to color outside the lines.
    [quoted image]

I'm hesitant to respond to this as I hate to go down this road and derail this thread. Yes, you can go through tires quicker. As with anything it depends on how you drive and what you drive. People that are anti-EV have to grasp at something to criticize. Yes, there are disadvantages to an EV, but there are so many advantages that *possibly* going through tires quicker is something I'll gladly take.

Very cool. Thanks for the picture. I'll have to check one out and take some cargo measurements. It doesn't bother me if I have to remove the head as long as I can get it in and the hatch closed.

#1931 1 year ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Yes, there are disadvantages to an EV, but there are so many advantages that *possibly* going through tires quicker is something I'll gladly take.

I also noticed that several FREE charging stations around town. True there is a 2 hour limit at the level 2 site but think of it this way FREE gas!

#1932 1 year ago

Any idea if pins fit in a 22 Mitsubishi Outlander plug in hybrid?

#1933 1 year ago
    Quoted from ray-dude:

I sold my Tesla Model 3 and will soon take delivery of a Model Y. I have a vague pipedream of maybe being able to haul a pin in one. Has anyone with a Model Y had success?

Earlier in this thread (search for Model Y) it was discussed and someone posted a link to a site with good measurements. It isn't going to work. The rear opening slopes down too quickly on the sides, and even in the middle the height is too low for a pin to fit.

Your best bet is to get a trailer. The Y is rated for towing and you can get a hitch for it pretty easily.

#1934 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I'll have to check one out and take some cargo measurements. It doesn't bother me if I have to remove the head as long as I can get it in and the hatch closed.

Don't get your hopes up. I really don't think it is going to work, even with removing the head. You can fit a ton of stuff in a Bolt, I've done it. But a pin isn't one of them.

#1935 1 year ago

Anybody know for certain any electric vehicles that can fit a pinball machine without taking the head off?

#1936 1 year ago

Ford e-Transit, F-150 Lightning, Rivian are all right now for BEVs. Some PHEVs will fit pins, I hauled a Bally Spectrum back from TPF without removing the head in a RAV4 Prime.

#1937 1 year ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Ford e-Transit, F-150 Lightning, Rivian are all right now for BEVs. Some PHEVs will fit pins, I hauled a Bally Spectrum back from TPF without removing the head in a RAV4 Prime.

AUKraut I was told the cargo floor is higher to support the increased battery volume. How tight was the fit?

#1938 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

AUKraut I was told the cargo floor is higher to support the increased battery volume. How tight was the fit?

It's about a 30.5" high opening. The Bally fit nicely, about 2 inches to spare while loading. Never touched the headliner, coindoor in first.

That being said, I'm about to trade it to go full electric with a Kia EV6. Back to pin hauling with my wife's Honda Odyssey again.....

#1940 1 year ago

The one on Cars and Bids about a week ago went for $265K!

#1941 1 year ago

'08 Scion XB [second gen]. Fit NIB Stern with pallet attached. Laid back passenger seat and moved drivers seat forward. Hatch closed without contact!

20220510_162050 (resized).jpg20220510_162050 (resized).jpg20220510_162104 (resized).jpg20220510_162104 (resized).jpg20220510_162114 (resized).jpg20220510_162114 (resized).jpg
    #1942 1 year ago

Looking at the pictures in this thread, I can't help but wonder.....how many folks drive down the road thinking "if I rear end someone it's game over for me!"? It's always a bit nail biting hauling one in my Escape knowing that momentum would not play to my favor.....

#1943 1 year ago
    Quoted from Galdaien:

'08 Scion XB [second gen]. Fit NIB Stern with pallet attached. Laid back passenger seat and moved drivers seat forward. Hatch closed without contact!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

from the bottom picture looks like drivers seat is so far forward it would be impossible to drive but maybe it is just the angle of the picture

#1944 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Looking at the pictures in this thread, I can't help but wonder.....how many folks drive down the road thinking "if I rear end someone it's game over for me!"? It's always a bit nail biting hauling one in my Escape knowing that momentum would not play to my favor.....

Yup. I think about this almost every time. But I probably worry about the machine more than myself!!!!

#1945 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

For long hauls I always put a ratchet strap around the front of the game and anchored to the rear cargo hooks. I didn't ratchet it down tight, just enough to keep the strap in place, this prevents the game from sliding forward on sudden stops.

#1946 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

For long hauls I always put a ratchet strap around the front of the game and anchored to the rear cargo hooks. I didn't ratchet it down tight, just enough to keep the strap in place, this prevents the game from sliding forward on sudden stops.

That's a good call. I've done the same but sometimes I get lazy.

#1947 1 year ago

Any update on if a Ford Bronco Big Bend can haul a pin?

#1948 1 year ago

Vantagevehicle.com for your electric pinhauling needs

#1949 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Questions running through my head if I was hauling a pin in a small vehicle EV or gas type.

I would be thinking is that person on the phone going to stop in time?

Do they know when the pavement is wet it takes twice the distance to stop?

What's that persons hurry? I've been in six accidents and believe me nothing is important not to slow down. It's a pain to have to deal with everything to get your car repaired and here (Indiana) get your insurance agent to sign off to prove you had insurance. If you don't they will pull your driver's license even if you weren't at fault.

Is someone arguing in the car or anything that is distracting the driver?

I would move away from them to the other lane.

This morning thick fog and I was in a residential neighborhood and this other guy was driving way to fast. I saw him but wondered if he ever saw me.

#1950 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Despite what bobukcat wrote in post 1945, that is why I think I'd hold out for a van, panel truck, or actual (fully enclosed for weather reasons) truck with a wall-separated cargo cabin or section, apart from the driver / passenger seating, and which had very adequate internal restraints, to deal with possible momentum or impact situations. For very short distance hauls where weather considerations were not a factor, one might get by with a range of lesser options -- provided that the game fits.

There are 2,563 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/39?hl=robnotto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.