Topic Stats

• 2,573 posts
  • 810 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by red-line
  • Topic is favorited by 189 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_144609 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0387 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9289 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3842 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3843 (resized).jpeg
    Hobbit_Collective_Move (resized).jpg
    IMG_7132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3737 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3734 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3733 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3736 (resized).jpeg
    20240318_101947 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,573 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 52.
    #801 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

No on the Acura MDX, only about 28" of clearance. Honda pilot works.

Fit them no problem in my '04 MDX.

Newer ones look to be a smaller opening in the rear.

#802 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Fit them no problem in my '04 MDX.
    Newer ones look to be a smaller opening in the rear.

Yes, new ones, 2015+ no longer work

#803 6 years ago

Don't want to read 17 pages. Thinking about picking up a late model Subaru Forester. Are these pin friendly? I picked it because it looks friendly but I didn't measure anything yet. Yes? No?

#804 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Don't want to read 17 pages.

Dont have to, just search:

Make sure to consider various spellings though.

Screenshot_20180227-142322 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180227-142322 (resized).jpg

#805 6 years ago

Whats the height you need to slip in folded down machine. My new Velar is 41.1 inches in the height which most concerned about by 49 width

#806 6 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Whats the height you need to slip in folded down machine. My new Velar is 41.1 inches in the height which most concerned about by 49 width

Wow, that's incredible. I have a '17 Sport and it's only about 30" at the highest point - definitely won't fit a pin with the head on it. Most games need about 30.5" I believe.

#807 6 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Are you sure that height is correct?

Disappointed to hear the sport won’t work, was thinking about it.

#808 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Are you sure that height is correct?
    Disappointed to hear the sport won’t work, was thinking about it.

yes pulled off my specs this is the new shape mid size Range Rover called first edition, Im not home so couldnt measure so pulled up the specs as was a little worried

#809 6 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

yes pulled off my specs this is the new shape mid size Range Rover called first edition, Im not home so couldnt measure so pulled up the specs as was a little worried

Pleas do double check, that would be a massive opening for a midsize suv. Do the seats fold completely flat?

I just checked the specs and that 41 is the height behind the second row seats, it’s not the rear hatch opening.

#810 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Don't want to read 17 pages. Thinking about picking up a late model Subaru Forester. Are these pin friendly? I picked it because it looks friendly but I didn't measure anything yet. Yes? No?

We have a '17 Forester and I use it for moving pins all the time. I love the car but it has a few minor annoyances. Mainly it beeps at me when I want to get out and lock the doors forcing me to get back in, turn it on and off and then get out and try the locks again. For pins, the seat "hump" can be a pain but I have a board I use to slide the games in and out on that helps with this. Unfortunately, some games are too tall for the board and you have to go "dry" and that is always a challenge. The hatch is also a little on the high side. I've yet to move a Sega or Gottlieb 80b with the tall cabinet. I think a Sega would be fine but a Gottlieb would be a no go. Also, get the leather. So much nicer than the cloth seats.

#811 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Pleas do double check, that would be a massive opening for a midsize suv. Do the seats fold completely flat?
    I just checked the specs and that 41 is the height behind the second row seats, it’s not the rear hatch opening.

I kept thinking that HAD to be wrong - I don't think even the large full size SUVs have 3.5 feet of clearance at the hatch anymore.

#812 6 years ago

My minivan died yesterday and will be picking up a pin tomorrow. I found some discussions on Honda CRV but not for sure the generation I have. Anyone with experience with a 2007-2009 CRV? Will it fit with seats down and will the hatch close? I have other options but would prefer to take this for pickup.

Added over 6 years ago: Update: HS2 fit in my 08 CRV with the rear seats flat. Just enough room to not hit the headliner and the hatch closed too.

1 week later
    #813 6 years ago

Has anyone used a new gen Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon crew cab 5' box to haul a pin?

Thinking of a ZR2 crew cab.

#814 6 years ago

Wife wants a new Traverse when the color she wants is available. I don’t want to take a huge hit selling her ‘13 Journey, but it can’t fit pins. I told her I want a trailer when I get the Journey. Zero push back. Here to never having to lift the lift table into the 04 Escape (eventually)!

#815 6 years ago

I still ask.....can I do this type of thing with my Subaru Outback 2013?

87cf0975d9c67f390c19e965f9627b5252282650.jpeg (resized).jpg87cf0975d9c67f390c19e965f9627b5252282650.jpeg (resized).jpg

#816 6 years ago

Kia Sportage will fit a machine in the 4th generation

20180311_125110 (resized).jpg20180311_125110 (resized).jpg

#817 6 years ago

Land Rover discoevery is a no go, opening doesn’t have the height along the full length and 2nd row seats don’t go flat. These rounded openings are not pinball friendly.

Volkswagen atlas easily fits a pin, nice suv too.

#818 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Volkswagen atlas easily fits a pin, nice suv too.

I second that. Easy fit...I have the SEL Premium 4Motion....sweet ride.

1 week later
    #819 6 years ago

I know previous models of the Honda Fit were confirmed to haul pins just fine, but I got a chance to try my 2017 this weekend. Fit an HS2 with ease! I believe cargo dimensions are consistent for 2015 onward.

IMG_20180318_162854 (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_162854 (resized).jpg

#820 6 years ago

I am happy to announce that I picked up a Who Dunnit and it fit in my Town and Country Chrysler minivan with the sec row csptin seats still in

IMG_20180324_184634961 (resized).jpgIMG_20180324_184634961 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180324_184620893 (resized).jpgIMG_20180324_184620893 (resized).jpg

#821 6 years ago

Love our Town and Country for moving pins. Looking good.

#822 6 years ago

I’m thinking about buying a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2000-2004. Will it fit a pin?

#823 6 years ago
    Quoted from IceMaster:

I’m thinking about buying a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2000-2004. Will it fit a pin?

I don't know for sure, but from looking at pics online it seems the rear opening is similar to a Trailblazer, so I would think it would, but you might want to measure to be 100%.

Chris

2 weeks later
    #824 6 years ago

So question for the thread. Most cars don't work because it sucks to remove the head on newer machines. Is it as bad for old 70's em's or are they easier to detach and put back together?

#825 6 years ago

Yes, most EM's of that era are designed to have the head be easily removed for transport. (There is no option to fold the head down, as on modern games.) Not only does that reduce the height of the machine, allowing it to fit into almost any vehicle where you can fold seats to get a few feet of flat cargo area, but each piece is much lighter than a full modern machine.

#826 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ferret:

Yes, most EM's of that era are designed to have the head be easily removed for transport. (There is no option to fold the head down, as on modern games.) Not only does that reduce the height of the machine, allowing it to fit into almost any vehicle where you can fold seats to get a few feet of flat cargo area, but each piece is much lighter than a full modern machine.

Thank you! This makes it more likely ill jump on cheap em's in the area since I wont have to rent a truck.

#827 6 years ago

I can say that a "regular" Stern/Bally solid state (or EM) will fit in a 2018 BMW 328 wagon. I had to put the head in first then slide the body in. The wider part of the head has to be facing the front of the car. Once the body is 3/4 or so in slide the head up on to the body then slide everything forward. The head will be held in place by the passenger seat rest and the rear hatch will close. The passenger seat has to be moved way up for this to work.

Doesn't bode well for a WMS or modern Stern though. The head would definitely need to be removed.

#828 6 years ago

The Wiki page says that it will not fit but I'm wondering if anyone has had luck getting a machine inside of a 2014 Nissan Murano?

#829 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

The Wiki page says that it will not fit but I'm wondering if anyone has had luck getting a machine inside of a 2014 Nissan Murano?

What kind of machine?

I think a lot of em’s or early SS will fit because they head can come off. But if you mean a 90’s or today dmd, you may have to like unbolt the head and slide forward, or it won’t fit.

#830 6 years ago

The Murano is not my vehicle so I can't look at what might be preventing it from fitting. But they are modern games with DMDs.

#831 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

The Murano is not my vehicle so I can't look at what might be preventing it from fitting. But they are modern games with DMDs.

Only 28 inches of height clearance if I remember correctly.

1 week later
    #832 6 years ago

I got my WPT home in my 2008 Prius, had to take the back box off. Gets a little hairier with the widebody of an Atari. Can't tell from the photo but the backglass and bulbs were removed so the back box could cradle the center console.

20180419_184341 (resized).jpg20180419_184341 (resized).jpg

20180419_184350 (resized).jpg20180419_184350 (resized).jpg

#833 6 years ago

Did anyone manage to fit 2 dmd pins in a Jeep Wrangler 4 door? Heads probably will need to come off. But not entirely sure if the cabs fit... heh

#834 6 years ago
    Quoted from splitskull:

Did anyone manage to fit 2 dmd pins in a Jeep Wrangler 4 door? Heads probably will need to come off. But not entirely sure if the cabs fit... heh

I don’t think they would

#835 6 years ago

I had a Chrysler Pacifica minivan as a rental this weekend. Two pins fit easily (as expected). However, they both had to be loaded from the back hatch, as the side doors did not open wide enough for the head. This was a system 11 pin. If you take the head off it would fit just fine.

#836 6 years ago

removing doors no problem for me. One fits across but the other is too long. Cannot close tailgate. I measured some more inside, and I got 44 inches. 2 cabs side by side need 45-46inches... fuck me

#837 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I've got a 2014 Murano and when picking up a Capcom Pinball Magic I had to take the hinges off the head
    and slide it down a bit to get it to fit. PITA if you ask me.
    I'm looking at getting a new 2018 Murano - and have 28 1/2" of clearance (because of the seat belt for middle rear)

*** Does anyone know what the "safe" height clearance is for new (post 90's) pins?

#838 5 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

I've got a 2014 Murano and when picking up a Capcom Pinball Magic I had to take the hinges off the head
    and slide it down a bit to get it to fit. PITA if you ask me.
    I'm looking at getting a new 2018 Murano - and have 28 1/2" of clearance (because of the seat belt for middle rear)
    *** Does anyone know what the "safe" height clearance is for new (post 90's) pins?

I thought 31" unless it's a Gottlieb System 3 then you need like 40" o some rediculious amount for some reason (yes, that's an exaggeration, but somewhat accurate).

I went with 31" when I was looking and quickly eliminated many vehicles I would have considered.

Chris

#839 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Tesla Model S?

Following up on this. Has anyone transported a pinball in a model S? I may try this weekend.

#840 5 years ago

I am curious about the 2018 Lexus RX350L and 2018 GX460. I would guess the GX460 is not a problem since it looks to be similar to a Ford Explorer in size. The RX350L appears to be a longer version of the RX350 and has a 3rd row of seating area.

#841 5 years ago

Opening Needed (resized).jpgOpening Needed (resized).jpg

The space needed for most pinball games is about 31 inches. My 2012 Grand Cherokee has 30.75" clearance and a Stern Spiderman just fits...probably an 1/8" clearance if I remember correctly.

The issue with the 31" measurement is the lip at the bottom of the opening. In my Jeep, the lip is about 1/4" above the floor, but in some vehicles it can be an inch high.

What makes this measurement tricky is that the lip is usually not directly below the opening edge at the top. So measuring at an angle (lip to top) gives a deceiving number, that is this measurement is larger than the actual opening.

If it's important to be able to put a pinball in the back and the opening is about 31", some consideration needs to be taken in the height of the lip above the floor and where the lip is in relation to the opening edge at the top.

Remember that the pinball game needs to ride on the lip while it slides into the back, and it only drops down to floor level after it passes the lip. In my experience, it's the last 2 or 3 inches of sliding the game in when the game is still on the lip and the head is starting to approach the opening edge at the top.

Robert

3 weeks later
    #842 5 years ago

Anyone use an Astro for hauling? Wondering the width inside.

#843 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisRAD:

chevy astro van or the saturn astra? The van should fit a game no issue what so ever....

Edit: my bad, somehow I didn’t read right, wondering the width not if a game would fit

#844 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisRAD:

I use a 2000 GMC Safari. Fits 2 games with heads folded easily. 3 or more without.

1 week later
    #845 5 years ago
    Quoted from andrewket:

Following up on this. Has anyone transported a pinball in a model S? I may try this weekend.

Did it fit?

#846 5 years ago

if you're on a budget - you can manage 2 EMs in an 08 Honda Fit for a fraction of the cost of these other vehicles.

Actually just traded it in on a Pacifica... Save Gottlieb Sys 3s requiring a head removal/slide down (if you look at the top right corner, you can see a little blue that marked the liner when I tried shoving it in with the head on) it was a surprisingly sturdy little pinhauler... I'd heard the newer models don't quite have the same opening and front/back cargo area - but with the seats folding down mostly flat it was a dream other than that god awful initial lip into the hatch.

20180115_131352 (resized).jpg20180115_131352 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #847 5 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

We have a '17 Forester and I use it for moving pins all the time. I love the car but it has a few minor annoyances. Mainly it beeps at me when I want to get out and lock the doors forcing me to get back in, turn it on and off and then get out and try the locks again. For pins, the seat "hump" can be a pain but I have a board I use to slide the games in and out on that helps with this. Unfortunately, some games are too tall for the board and you have to go "dry" and that is always a challenge. The hatch is also a little on the high side. I've yet to move a Sega or Gottlieb 80b with the tall cabinet. I think a Sega would be fine but a Gottlieb would be a no go. Also, get the leather. So much nicer than the cloth seats.

Sold my 2014 Forester , good riddance. Yes it holds a pin but after 87,000 miles I was tired of the issues. Battery went dead at 3 years , AC lost it’s charge around the same time soon after the Leather seats split open, and I never came close to 32 mpg . I also got blown all over the highway in wind and it sucked in the snow. My Honda Pilot is great for hauling pins and it was worth the extra bucks to get a product that didn’t seem to be made of thin cheap metal.

#848 5 years ago

Jeep, system 11, room to spare

B6801B0B-0E03-4D84-B38D-AA654D995BE5 (resized).jpegB6801B0B-0E03-4D84-B38D-AA654D995BE5 (resized).jpegE125293D-FF2C-4353-934C-8CA332F076F1 (resized).jpegE125293D-FF2C-4353-934C-8CA332F076F1 (resized).jpeg
    #849 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Jeep, system 11, room to spare

Serious question....Can you still have a back seat passenger in the jeep when the pin is in there? I like to have that option as I sometimes take my father in law and nephew when I go to shows and stuff, and was thinking about a Wrangler. I can do it in my Durango, but the top doesn't come off that

Thanks
    Chris

#850 5 years ago

It did not fit in the S. It just fit in the X with the backbox removed. This is with the non-folding second row seats and the 2nd row non-removable console. If you have the 5 or 7 seater with the foldable second row it should be super easy.

There are 2,573 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.