Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HB 3.jpg
    IMG_1082.JPG
    PTDC0019_stitch.jpg
    PTDC0019.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3660.JPG
    jokerz guy.jpg
    image.jpg
    ball.png
    cheapoShirt-852.png
    138000-i.png
    jq2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramakers.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

There are a lot people out there who are wondering how to restore artwork on old machines. The advantage of these old machines is that the decorations are usually relatively simple. They use a limited number of colors and the colors most of the times are solid.
    Your best choice is vectorizing the artwork.

Why to use vector software:
    This makes it possible to scale the image without losing quality.
    You can use layers for different parts of your drawing so you can hide or lock stuff you aren't working on .
    You can keep tweaking till it's just right.

The software I prefer is Adobe Illustrator, but as this is extremely expensive I looked for a good alternative. Then I stumbled across Inkscape. A free and open source project.
    The look isn't as professional but the feel is the same.
    If you are used to working with Illustrator you can easily make the switch. If you have to start learning vectorizing this program is a blessing. All icons have self explanatory look, and if you hover over them you get a nice info box (you can chose from alot of laguages on there site). All stuff I use for vectorizing artwork are right there.
    If you save your work as .EPS or .PDF you van take the file to your local print shop for professional printing.
    The software can be found here:

http://www.inkscape.org/

Maybe we can use this topic to exchange tips and tricks about vectorizing.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

When you get into complex things or extremely fine detail and shading on rasterized graphics, that's where the auto-tracer is an epic fail. Take my shirt that I've been working on. This ball looks GREAT in paint, but when I traced it in Inkscape, suddenly I had a bunch of colors and layers that shouldn't have been there. All of the "smoothing" that Paint tried to do along the edges of the white areas by interpolating adjacent pixels with slightly different shades really screwed it up! It took me about two hours to redraw the ball completely in vector format and get something I was happy with! The flipper, meanwhile took almost nothing to clean up and get it right.

That's why we do manual vectorization. This gives you full control over the finished result. There are a lot of auto trace options out there, I've tried most of them but didn't find any useful. They all need quite some tweaking in the settings before the auto trace, and you have to clean up the result afterwards. And if you get a good result with the software without any fiddling, the bitmap most likely was done faster by hand if you got some experience.

#22 9 years ago

I just made a short video of some simple vectorization.
    The cabinet of my Camelot is painted over so I have to re create the artwork. I found a small picture online which I straightened in Photoshop with the perspective crop tool.
    This I now use in inkscape as a template.
    I'm sure this isn't the only way to do this, and probably not the best or fastest way either. But it gives an idea of what you can do.

Enjoy your movie

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

thanks for sharing the video, seems easier than Illustrator.

Illustrator originates from an apple environment. There they use the keyboard a lot more then we do on windows. If I have to use the macs in my brothers print shop, I'm always looking for the right an middle mouse button!
    If I see the full time designer do his job there, he always has one hand on the keyboard. He does things at lightning speed without having to move his mouse all over the screen. This way he doesn't have to have that many icons on the screen which clutter up the workspace.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big_Bob:

Ramakers, I assume this video is an example of taking a raster file and converting it to vector? If that is the case then it seems pretty easy.
    I make a lot of artwork, mainly for playfield repair. I have always used Photoshop Elements since it is easy and have used raster format. I use raster because it is much easier for me and I cannot see the advantage of vector for my use since I scan at actual size. I think vector files will be much smaller also.
    After seeing your movie, I might give this a try because I can see an advantage with the ability to change an entire layers color if your color is off a bit.
    Thanks, Bob

This video is an example of how you can convert an bad image into a vector file.
    The file size is significantly smaller, especially if you have a full size image of a cabinet. If you like to keep control over your colors, you need to use TIFF as a file type which is very large. JPEG never keeps the lines as crisp and the colors are converted.
    for the example: File size
    inkscape .SVG: 10kB
    photoshop .TIFF: 122 MB (at 200 dpi)

If you are planning on screen printing you need to make vector files or make layers for each color.
    Also if you like to plotter cut spray templates you need to use vector files.

Sometimes I also use bitmap software like photoshop for minor repairs or if it's a more photorealistic image. Just use what is best for the purpose.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

4 years ago I vectorized the Hyperball speakerpanel logo for a friend, his one was broken on 2 places.
    It is lasercut and chrome plated.
    Done with coreldraw8 but now I see Inkscape, probably would have used that one.
    HB 3.jpg 82 KB

Nice job, for laser cutting you definitely need vector files. In my laser shop we use .dxf files. Which is also supported by Inkscape. There I aslo use coreldraw for editing some files, the main files are made in solidworks by the guys of engineering.

#29 9 years ago

For the record, an example video of the perspective crop tool in Photoshop.

Again, I don't claim this to be the only, best or even the fastest way to do this. Its just an example of how I did it in this case.

The video:

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from tim_sanderson:

That EZVid capture software you used is the best thing I've learned about in this thread so far, Ramakers. I just installed it. It's fantastic!

found this software just yesterday, just for making these instruction videos. I tried several others, but this one did the best job.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramakers.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vectorizing-images?tu=ramakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.