(Topic ID: 287042)

Vector goes dead during game play and attract mode.

By Marcus

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Marcus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0917 (resized).jpg
IMG_0916 (resized).jpg
IMG_0914 (resized).jpg
IMG_0915 (resized).jpg
IMG_0913 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

My Vector has recently occasionally locking up/display goes dead and flash on mpu goes steady green.
I've searched Pinside and other forums for my problem but can't find similiar issue.

It can plays for 1 minute to 1 hour and then blanks the displays, coils and flippers still working, GI lights and flash lights goes steady on.
The same thing if in attract mode. It can stand in attract mode an hour than suddenly displays are dark.
When you turn game off and restart it plays again.

Things I done;
- crimped new connectors on J1 and J4 on mpu-board
- crimped new connectors on J3 on SDB-board
- reheated pins on above boards for cracks on pins
- checked above connectors and pins for continuity
- changed and socked U14 on MPU and changed PIA
- run an alltek mpu board for three weeks without any issues so pretty certain that problem is on mpu
- checked the 5volt which is stabil 5,2v in normal and when issue is present
- Visual checked the board and it looks fine, no corotion/battery acid

Pictures of circuit boards attached.

Looking for feedback if anybody hade the same problem, or can hint in direction for solution, before resolving this with buying a new board!

Thanks in advance

IMG_0913 (resized).jpgIMG_0913 (resized).jpgIMG_0914 (resized).jpgIMG_0914 (resized).jpgIMG_0915 (resized).jpgIMG_0915 (resized).jpgIMG_0916 (resized).jpgIMG_0916 (resized).jpgIMG_0917 (resized).jpgIMG_0917 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

You've done everything right in narrowing down the problem to the MPU. Here are my suggestions, I notice some burning around R11 in the valid power detector circuit. I also notice the battery has been replaced. You may wish to rebuild that section of the MPU replacing the burned resistor. Failures there are well noted and there are some MPU rebuild kits you can order that will come with the replacement components. Since the battery was replaced, carefully inspect for unmitigated battery damage left over from the original.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

You've done everything right in narrowing down the problem to the MPU. Here are my suggestions, I notice some burning around R11 in the valid power detector circuit. I also notice the battery has been replaced. You may wish to rebuild that section of the MPU replacing the burned resistor. Failures there are well noted and there are some MPU rebuild kits you can order that will come with the replacement components. Since the battery was replaced, carefully inspect for unmitigated battery damage left over from the original.

Thanks for replay. As you noticed at R11 and R2 there are burnmarks so I measured the resistors and they have the wright ohm-value. Therefore I socket the U14 and replaced with new IC if the exciting hade been damaged by the heat. I will replace R11 and R2 and I will inspect the area around battery for leakage!

thanks BigAl for advices!!

#4 3 years ago

I'm working on a Vector now. I was having a similar problem. After much searching and trial and error, I found a cracked solder joint on the J1 connector on the Auxiliary Lamp Driver board. The circuit board with the 3 connectors mounted to the back of the light panel.

It did not crash the 5V supply, but it just made it unstable enough the MPU would reset and lock up. That board was the only board I didn't service the headers and connectors. See where that got me!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I'm working on a Vector now. I was having a similar problem. After much searching and trial and error, I found a cracked solder joint on the J1 connector on the Auxiliary Lamp Driver board. The circuit board with the 3 connectors mounted to the back of the light panel.
It did not crash the 5V supply, but it just made it unstable enough the MPU would reset and lock up. That board was the only board I didn't service the headers and connectors. See where that got me!

Thanks Skidave, I will look in to that board. As you say - I have also not checked that board in trouble searching.

#6 3 years ago

I have now inspected the board and can see cracks on J1 pin 15 that goes to ground. I have put new solder on all pins and reassembled the board. It has been sitting for an hour power on and has not yet locked itself. Fingers crossed.
I was focused that the problem was on the mpu board as the ultimate alltek worked for 3 weeks without locking itself, maybe that board is more stable? I will mark the thread as solved if everything works for a couple of days. Thank you so much for all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vector-goes-dead-during-game-play-and-attract-mode?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.