You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-03-04 14.48.04 (resized).jpg
2017-03-04 14.47.57 (resized).jpg
Vector coils (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I need some advice. I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Here is what is going on with vector:

The left top drop target drops with any of the "defender" targets. Here is what I have done so far,

-Verified all the coils on that row/column are the correct single wound 3 lug coils
-tried a known working sol expander board
-Replaced diodes on suspect coil, and the 3 defender memory coils
-repinned mpu switch connectors ( id do this regardless)
-verified there is no continuity between '90' and '91' solenoid bus
- run the switch test and everything is normal
-run sol test and everytime the defender targets activate, each one activates the top left target.

I noticed the 1 dt gets it's power from the J1 connector as opposed to J5 like the rest of them. If I disconnect J1 it will still active when the 3 defender targets drop. I'm out of ideas. As far as power goes, the relay controls that, and I've confirmed its doing it's job by testing the continuity between the 2 sol bus'.

Any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

I had a similar issue with mine. The issue was a replaced coil with the incorrect diodes on it. In my case it was the outhole diode (from a fathom).Vector coils (resized).pngVector coils (resized).png

Notice how the coils have 2 diodes facing in. If the second diode is not present the ground path continues to the coil on the same circuit on the other side of the solenoid expander.

I fixed this on a 2 lug coil by simulating a 3rd lug with the second diode and moving a wire. Not pretty but it works
the second diode goes through the empty hole in the coilthe second diode goes through the empty hole in the coilConnect the wire to the end of the diodeConnect the wire to the end of the diode

This is only for a 2 lug coil. If you can find an original 3 lug you don't need this.

#3 6 years ago

ha! I checked every coil on the line except for that one haha. I think i have a spare 3 lug here so I'll swap it out and see what happens.

#4 6 years ago

you nailed it! I don't know how I overlooked that one, as I had the exact same issue on a medusa not 2 months ago. But hey, at least its all working right now. Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

Glad to help. You should mark this resolved so other know it was fixed when they have the same problem.

#6 6 years ago

Done. Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vector-drop-target-woes?hl=gregh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.