6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

VDC = Direct Current
    VAC = Alternating current

Only thing pins are using VAC for as far as lighting goes is GI. Controlled lamps and flashers are always direct current in solid state games.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Hooking up a relay directly to the bulb isn’t how I would do this - use an opto isolator instead connected to input pins on an arduino, which can then be used to drive your light signal.

I agree with not using relays. Just wire them directly, put a molex connector in the middle of the wire harness for your mod (+ease of installation and shopping), respect the flow of electricity in regards to the diodes on the lamp sockets, and you're *fine*...at least with factory. If you have a LED OCD installed, you might have to look a bit deeper because I don't know how much additional current draw the board can put up with. But in general..on System 9 through WPC, you're okay adding a LED wired to a controlled lamp directly...especially if it's already got an LED in there instead of incandescent, and you aren't using the UBER ULTRA RETINA BURNER type.

If using the LED OCD you might need something like the opto isolator to prevent pulling too much additional current, I dunno. I can tell you that when I had Space Shuttle, I direct wired to the controlled lamps in the backglass that are behind the exhaust section that flicker constantly, and had them rigged up to a wire harness that went up to my custom topper and aside from figuring out which way to wire it to prevent interfering with the lamp matrix and causing other inserts to light incorrectly, it was really easy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vdc-or-vac?tu=Frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.