Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
printing-money.gif
B4C42743-3B03-4B83-B00F-62D1E6CBEB97 (resized).jpeg
thou-shalt-not-pass (resized).jpg
LOTR-BOD (resized).jpg
4A69319C-CD68-4558-AB92-87E33368F6CE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

KISS has been surprising to me. I remember when it came out and it got dogged.

I am not a KISS fan at all, but I REALLY LIKED the Premium, and ended up not minding all but a couple of the songs. It's one of a very small number of pins I'd have again.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

The BOM argument is absurd, do you realize how much money they save not having to develop a new game?

Plus the cabinet and electronics stern is scaled down to have gotten MUCH cheaper since the early 2000s. And not just development money saved, but a proven, guaranteed hit product. That's very uncommon. Nice that Kaneda finally got the 411.

1 week later
#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Pfunk237:

According to Gary Stern and Zombie Yeti they are 'Done with doing any vaults". They might do a special edition like Catwoman to get rid of parts but never a vault especially an old system like SAM

Original LotR was Whitestar.

And since when does Gary Stern not like waterfalls made of money? Maybe this was said in a COVID brain fog. I find the statement suspect or intentionally misleading (perhaps he doesn't consider the LotR Spike a vault because it's essentially a partial remake with the new dots). The statement also goes against what Gomez has said, which is if the market is demanding a release, Stern will try to meet that demand (paraphrasing).

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Nobody at Stern would ever confirm if they had future plans of doing vaults because they want you to buy what is available now. Any time Gary is asked what his favorite machine is and he always responds whatever is on the line right now.

He's old enough to have seen the Osborne effect firsthand and know how devastating it can be.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Always wanted a Vectrex. Would stand in line to play it at Sears.

I had one with most of the games (except the 3D ones) with original boxes, overlays, and instructions for everything I bought NIB and traded it for a refrigerator in the early 1990s.

Trade regret. It's real.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

LOTR was indeed written in (heavily macro'd) 6809 assembler, just like the rest of Stern whitestar games. It was only a 2MHz proc, so it's not that hard to emulate. Probably the most annoying part (as 6809 has already been emulated by MAME for decades) would be the banked ROMs, and that's not even that hard to do either.
It could obviously be rewritten in something modern, but that's less than trivial and prone to mistakes.

6809 assembler macros are TIGHT! My son rolls his eyes when I pontificate about how small my 6502 assembly code was back in the day compared to what bloated high level languages put out now. He's also tired of hearing that 6502 was RISC-like before RISC/arm were sexy.

Seems like an emulation layer running the code within a wrapper that handles interface to the new host machine is the fastest way to go and not introduce errors in the code that would affect rules, etc. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, this seems like it's ideal for Tanio's skillset. Maybe that's what he's been tied up with since Deadpool. He's been very quiet. Deadpool=Gomez/Tanio. LotR Spike=Gomez/Tanio redux?

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Though it's been quite a while for me, I used to do a lot of 8-bit assembler.
I wrote games for GameBoy, GameGear, and NES in 8-bit ASM (also Genesis and SegaCD, but that was 16 bit). It was a big deal when I moved to doing PS1 games and could code in C.
You haven't suffered until you've written a 3D Star Trek game in 8-bit assembler!

But remember how small and tight your compiled assembler code was compared to C output and sigh fondly.

1 year later
#87 1 year ago
Quoted from MegadethHangar18:

Could this be a Trick or Real Treat from Stern in the near future?
https://fb.watch/g14vyywoc-/

LotR Spike will print money.

printing-money.gifprinting-money.gif

Also, that machine in the video DESPERATELY needs an LED OCD board. Those LEDs with their hard on/off cycle ruin the lightshows.

1 year later
#93 3 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

An LOTR port to Spike 3 is definitely not happening. Embracer group purchased the rights last year for $395 million.

[quoted image]

The POINT of Embracer buying the LotR property outright is to make money LICENSING. Embracer would be happy to take Stern's money (if they haven't already), especially since their stock cratered not long after this purchase and they've been selling off and closing studios to make money.

#97 3 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Did Embracer buy the rights to re-license LOTR/Hobbit content, or did they just buy the rights to make videogames based off LOTR/Hobbit?
A publisher licensing a movie franchise is different than, say, PPS exclusively buying ALL of the WMS rights.

"The deal with Saul Zaentz Company gave Embracer motion picture, video game, board game, merchandising, theme parks and stage production rights relating to The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises as well as matching rights in other Middle-earth-related literary works authorized by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, which have yet to be explored."

So yeah, pinball's likely in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vault-rumors-lotr-market-?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.