varkon-3.JPG
Varkon sticks.jpg
6356.jpg
6340.jpg
6335.jpg
6334.jpg
6299.jpg
6298.jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I know this is a long shot . . . but does anyone have a plastic set for Varkon? How about a NOS ramp (even longer shot . . . I know)?

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Wow things fall off the front page fast . . . here are some pics of my newly restored Varkon to serve as a bump . . .

6386.jpg6386.jpg6389.jpg6389.jpg6395.jpg6395.jpg6399.jpg6399.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Wow! ...... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, .... now where have I seen this game before? ....

Allen
TreasureCove

#4 9 years ago

Nice game. How is it restored and needing those items? Are they unobtainium?

Also, you may want a retainer on the top of that marquee glass so you don't need one of those as well

Chris

#5 9 years ago

Well, in the era of 3D printers nothing is entirely unobtainium...I'm hoping a NOS set is out there somewhere...

#6 9 years ago

Right along with that HUO Varkon.

Very nice machine.

Quoted from TigerLaw:Well, in the era of 3D printers nothing is entirely unobtainium...I'm hoping a NOS set is out there somewhere...

The guy with the HUO Varkon has them.

BTW Very nice machine. Good luck in your search. If you decide to re-run them like was done with Joust, I'll buy a set.

#8 9 years ago

One last bump for the day. Still looking.

#9 9 years ago

Looks beautiful! Varkon is one of my dream machines would love to have one someday.

Do you have any restoration in progress pics?

#10 9 years ago

Wow that came out awesome...

#11 9 years ago

Way cool, I loved playing Varkon at Expo.......

#12 9 years ago

Here's a few more 'before' photos:

5932-317.jpg5932-317.jpg

5983-245.jpg5983-245.jpg

5984-794.jpg5984-794.jpg

The bottom of the cab was pretty much rotted out, so it was replaced with all new wood, glued/screwed/doweled.

6278.jpg6278.jpg

6286.jpg6286.jpg

6298.jpg6298.jpg

6299.jpg6299.jpg

6334.jpg6334.jpg

6335.jpg6335.jpg

6340.jpg6340.jpg

6356.jpg6356.jpg

#13 9 years ago

I only kicked that game a few times I swear!

#14 9 years ago

wow (bump)

#15 9 years ago

Oh I just noticed how yours has buttons instead of the sticks. Interesting.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Oh I just noticed how yours has buttons instead of the sticks. Interesting.

That IS interesting, I wonder the story behind that. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.

Chris

#17 9 years ago

Buttons might have been a later change. Do they look factory installed? What's the serial number of this game?

I have a Varkon prototype and it has Defender-style joysticks for the flippers, so they were part of the game from the beginning.

#18 9 years ago

This game went from its original operator here in New England to my friends house. The wood under the panel was cut for joystick movement but had buttons installed when he got it. If u look at the original art u can't tell if it ever had sticks or not

#19 9 years ago

We think it never had sticks.. Some left with some didnt

#21 9 years ago

Ask someone to send pics of them... Most likely same as tapper? Or timber.. Both Wms arcade games

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Ask someone to send pics of them... Most likely same as tapper? Or timber.. Both Wms arcade games

In your "before" pics it appears that the panel was cut for the sticks.

Tapper and Timber were Bally Midway games. At that time I don't think the two were the same company.

The sticks on Varkon should be similar to Defender or Stargate ( the Williams video game). 2 way red top joysticks.

Varkon sticks.jpgVarkon sticks.jpg

Chris

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

In your "before" pics it appears that the panel was cut for the sticks.
Tapper and Timber were Bally Midway games. At that time I don't think the two were the same company.
The sticks on Varkon should be similar to Defender or Stargate ( the Williams video game). 2 way red top joysticks.

Chris

Varkon sticks.jpg 76 KB

Thanks. Will see if the Treasure Cove guys can find a pair.

#24 9 years ago

We couldn't confirm if they were ever changed or left the factory that way. The game was in my friends house since the mid 90s and only with one operator before that

#25 9 years ago

Defender joystick parts can be bought here:
http://www.mantisamusements.com/joystick1.htm

#26 9 years ago

Thanks for the posts guys. Will look to have the change to joysticks made.

#27 9 years ago

Lol now u have to wonder are u changing factory build or not...I do like the joysticks

#28 9 years ago

Kinda jealous of the condition now. Not gonna lie. She's going to be amazing

#29 9 years ago

the only thing I would change is to remove the batteries! At least use a remote board. It would be a shame if they leaked.

#30 9 years ago

That is one beautiful machine Tiger!

I can't remember if the one at the Dallas show had buttons or joysticks. Anybody have any pics of that one?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

That is one beautiful machine Tiger!
I can't remember if the one at the Dallas show had buttons or joysticks. Anybody have any pics of that one?

Marc posted his restoration thread about two years ago on that one. I just looked at it. It had joysticks. TC is going to put a set on for me.

#32 9 years ago

Joysticks: Kerry only sells the "rebuild" kits, not the whole assembly

#33 9 years ago

This is a pretty fun game once you get used to using the sticks. I like unique stuff this.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from treasurecove:

Kerry only sells the "rebuild" kits, not the whole assembly

The metal frame is the main component. The other parts (leaf switches, joystick handle) should be available from arcade parts suppliers like arcadeshop or bob roberts. The good news is there are thousands of Defender/Stargate/Joust joysticks out there

#35 9 years ago

That really is a nice machine Tiger. Treasure Cove does great work. I remember playing Marc's with you at TPF in 2013. Glad you found one. Hopefully you can get the joysticks put on it as those are a cool feature of the game.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

. . . here are some pics of my newly restored Varkon to serve as a bump . . .

Oh my...

*drools*

Excellent work, TigerLaw. That cabinet is gorgeous. Good luck with the search for plastics and ramps. Are you leaning toward reproducing the plastics (I would assume a fellow Varkon owner could provide scans) and...what...3D printing ramps(!??!). Would be curious to see how the 3D printing turns out.

Anyhow, here's hoping something turns up for you.

Happy New Year,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Oh my...
*drools*
Excellent work, TigerLaw. That cabinet is gorgeous. Good luck with the search for plastics and ramps. Are you leaning toward reproducing the plastics (I would assume a fellow Varkon owner could provide scans) and...what...3D printing ramps(!??!). Would be curious to see how the 3D printing turns out.
Anyhow, here's hoping something turns up for you.
Happy New Year,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

Thanks! The excellent work was done by Allen at Treasure Cove. I won't be printing the plastic set off but would certainly support the venture.

I'm told there normally needs to be a run of 100 sets to make it worth doing a set of plastics, since less than 100 Varkons were ever made that may be a long shot. I'm hoping to find a NOS set. I'm up for other options as well if anyone has any ideas.

#38 9 years ago

per request

varkon
tx pin fest 2014

varkon-1.JPGvarkon-1.JPGvarkon-2.JPGvarkon-2.JPGvarkon-3.JPGvarkon-3.JPGvarkon-10.JPGvarkon-10.JPGvarkon-11.JPGvarkon-11.JPGvarkon-12.JPGvarkon-12.JPGvarkon-13.JPGvarkon-13.JPGvarkon-14.JPGvarkon-14.JPG

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

per request
varkon
tx pin fest 2014

varkon-3.JPG 240 KB

varkon-1.JPG 339 KB

varkon-2.JPG 367 KB

varkon-10.JPG 280 KB

varkon-11.JPG 298 KB

varkon-12.JPG 293 KB

varkon-13.JPG 294 KB

varkon-14.JPG 327 KB

Yea, Marc's Varkon was a thing of beauty. Went for $9,850 at auction at that show but had a 10k reserve so it didn't sell. I think he sold it later to someone out of state so we will not be seeing at TPF this year sadly.

Thanks for the pics.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm told there normally needs to be a run of 100 sets to make it worth doing a set of plastics, since less than 100 Varkons were ever made that may be a long shot. I'm hoping to find a NOS set. I'm up for other options as well if anyone has any ideas.

If another owner is willing to scan theirs (or if yours are not missing and not too badly damaged) you can create your own. There are a few threads on how to do it yourself:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-recreate-plastics

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-guide-to-making-your-own-reproduction-plastics

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-reproduce-pinball-plastics-including-artwork-at-home

Hope this helps, TigerLaw!

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#41 9 years ago

I hope that you can find some for the restore Tiger. Maybe we could try the "print your own" route if none can be found.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I hope that you can find some for the restore Tiger. Maybe we could try the "print your own" route if none can be found.

That would be a fun and interesting project. Also, it would be a good excuse to get some new toys...

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just increase the price and it will be worth doing for a more limited run.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Just increase the price and it will be worth doing for a more limited run.

I actually haven't a clue what the costs associated with this would be. I have clients with the capability to do it though . . . I might ask a few questions about it. My preference would be to find NOS but it is not looking likely at this stage.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I actually haven't a clue what the costs associated with this would be. I have clients with the capability to do it though . . . I might ask a few questions about it. My preference would be to find NOS but it is not looking likely at this stage.

If you think there is a market of any size, you could ask Bryan Kelly since he got the BSD plastics done recently.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

If you think there is a market of any size, you could ask Bryan Kelly since he got the BSD plastics done recently.

Yea, I'll shoot him a PM and see. I really wonder what the cost would be to do a run of say 20-30 sets. Still wish I could find NOS . . . doesn't seem like there is NOS anything for this game though.

Anyway . . . tiger bump gif 2.giftiger bump gif 2.gif

#47 9 years ago

When is your Varkon arriving Tiger?

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Speed:

When is your Varkon arriving Tiger?

My guess is shipping sometime in the next week or two. They are changing out the buttons for joysticks now. I will keep up the hunt for NOS plastics, would be great to have a full set.

#49 9 years ago

I know it's a long shot, but a bump, nonetheless.

Good luck, Tiger!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I know it's a long shot, but a bump, nonetheless.
Good luck, Tiger!

Thanks for the bump! Yea, it is a long shot and not looking good I hate to say. I guess there just isn't that much NOS stuff for Varkon in existence at all.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/varkon-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.