IMG_0673 (resized).JPG
IMG_0666 (resized).JPG
IMG_4867 (resized).JPG
IMG_8212 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

I have seen and played one of these back in the day. I don't recall where. Seemed odd but I still played it. Flashback material there..............

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

I've been telling TigerLaw we need to start going to storage locker purchase events. After reading the above he finally agrees.
Would you be offended if I asked you what you paid?

I'm going to keep price private for now. All I'll say is only thing seller knew was he put it in there in '98 and can't remember where he picked it up from.
This was listed for sale with a Carnival arcade. Was not a storage auction/sale, had to clarify that.

3 weeks later
#53 8 years ago

I just played Varkon a little earlier today. I had not played in a month on that machine. Just thought I would check in and see if there are any new members to this club or any other Varkon machines that are the restore process?

2 weeks later
#54 8 years ago

Finally started tearing down the pf on mine. Noticed that the pf has a bulge over the whole lower pf opening. I'm guessing it's not suppose to be that way? There's no "give" when I push (lightly) down on it.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

4 months later
#55 7 years ago

Where would I source a bullseye stand-up target from? Or just the angle bracket that holds them? One of mine is busted.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from mochaman:

Where would I source a bullseye stand-up target from? Or just the angle bracket that holds them? One of mine is busted.

Are all 5 of the targets on your Varkon bullseye targets? Just wondering, cause mine are all solid blue (NLA) and they were original on my game. You are talking about the 12345 targets at the top? All the brackets on mine have been replaced. Mine has been to alot of shows, and they have been breaking one by one...till Ohio show where 2 of them broke at once causing the game to be down for the remainder of the show cause it takes a bit of work to replace them. You can use any L bracket from another Williams game, it just takes some re drilling to make them fit. The first one I replaced I used a Gottlieb bracket because it was beefier/stronger bracket (and those targets take a beating!) Then after that I used newer Stern style L brackets, because they are 1/2 inch wide and are quite sturdy...so the L brackets should be good to go, and I went ahead and replaced them all this time. Now the targets will be what blows apart next!
Like I said it takes some drilling to get them to fit properly but they are sturdy and work well once you get them in there. You have to drill the rivets out as well, then just put screws and nuts on them instead...

Phoebe

#57 7 years ago

Yes, all 5 are bullseyes. They look original to the game but could have been switched out many years ago. Pic from teardown.

3 weeks later
#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Are all 5 of the targets on your Varkon bullseye targets? Just wondering, cause mine are all solid blue (NLA) and they were original on my game.

Ours are all solid blue as well.

#59 7 years ago

I'm curious to know if anyone besides TigerLaw and Pavball have ever used a Varkon pinball machine in a pinball tournament.
Definitely a different type of pinball machine.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I'm curious to know if anyone besides TigerLaw and Pavball have ever used a Varkon pinball machine in a pinball tournament.
Definitely a different type of pinball machine.

We use ours along with Defender. Since they are both 2 player games we generally say that everyone in the group has to agree (same thing applies for 2 player EMs or single player EMs), then they play 2 on 2 and use their scores to figure their points. We use them in finals as finals are head to head so them only being 2 player isn't an issue.

Phoebe

2 weeks later
#61 7 years ago

Former Owner - Miss my game. I put a ridiculous price on my game on my website as a joke and somebody bought it. I couldn't pass on that much money. Still - really cool game!

2 weeks later
#62 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Former Owner - Miss my game. I put a ridiculous price on my game on my website as a joke and somebody bought it. I couldn't pass on that much money. Still - really cool game!

Just curious on what that price might have been?

#63 7 years ago

I'm looking for one to keep in my small collection. Have lots of things to trade, pins, rare arcades, whatever. Hit me up if you have one

1 week later
#64 7 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Just curious on what that price might have been?

PM Sent

#65 7 years ago

Here is the web page for the one I had:

http://www.alsarcade.com/varkon

#66 7 years ago

Saw one at the Louisville pinball expo a few months back and I got the highest score on there, great game and I'll be on the lookout for it for sure!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalmanmiles:

Saw one at the Louisville pinball expo a few months back and I got the highest score on there, great game and I'll be on the lookout for it for sure!

Thanks! That one is mine. We have done alot of work on it to make it play good. We did some modifications on the ramp so that you can actually get to the lower PF. Before you actually could hardly ever get to the lower PF. We swapped out the ball for a slightly lighter weight ball which helps along with the modifications to the ramp. The last 2 shows the stand up targets have broken, so I have beefed them up...or at least I hope so!! It will be at Expo in a couple weeks to get a work out!

Phoebe

#68 7 years ago

Thanks! That one is mine. We have done alot of work on it to make it play good. We did some modifications on the ramp so that you can actually get to the lower PF. Before you actually could hardly ever get to the lower PF. We swapped out the ball for a slightly lighter weight ball which helps along with the modifications to the ramp. The last 2 shows the stand up targets have broken, so I have beefed them up...or at least I hope so!! It will be at Expo in a couple weeks to get a work out!
Phoebe

No problem! And I noticed that, it played great!

#69 7 years ago

Phoebe

maybe you can add the details to his thread as that lower playfield can be tough to get to. i have to use the ls flipper to do it.

IMG_8212 (resized).JPGIMG_8212 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#70 7 years ago

We can't keep the sound under control on ours. It gets so out of control loud. Any idea what the problem might be?

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

We can't keep the sound under control on ours. It gets so out of control loud. Any idea what the problem might be?

Don't suppose there's a potentiometer for the volume control? If it's flaky and it's shorted internally you'd be bypassing all the resistance controlling the volume and it'll just be at max any time it gets jiggled into a shorted position. Might need to be replaced if so.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Not sure...could be several things. Cracked solder joints on the board, volume pot, connectors... My Time Fantasy was doing this at Expo, we reseated connectors, turned it on and off etc. it finally quit, but haven't had a chance to get it set back up yet to dig into it. Hubby's Robotron has been doing this too, so got to look into it also. (Even though it's a video game it has the same type sound board)
Hopefully here soon will get to set Time Fantasy back up (finishing up the basement now) will try swapping a known good sound board and see if that fixes it...then go from there.

Phoebe

6 months later
#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Don't suppose there's a potentiometer for the volume control? If it's flaky and it's shorted internally you'd be bypassing all the resistance controlling the volume and it'll just be at max any time it gets jiggled into a shorted position. Might need to be replaced if so.

That's exactly what it does. We need to work on it and get it working optimally before our June tourney.

#74 6 years ago

There used to be one at a beach arcade somewhere in Tampa, FL. The place had been there for a long time. I'm going back about 15 years, but I remember it was a pay one price place with a lot of vintage games. I remember the Varkon, a checkpoint, some old pitch and bats and lots of 80s video games. Anyone know the place or what happened to the Varkon?

1 week later
#75 6 years ago
Quoted from Mvfvette1:

There used to be one at a beach arcade somewhere in Tampa, FL. The place had been there for a long time. I'm going back about 15 years, but I remember it was a pay one price place with a lot of vintage games. I remember the Varkon, a checkpoint, some old pitch and bats and lots of 80s video games. Anyone know the place or what happened to the Varkon?

That would be worth hunting the old rout operator down and seeing if he has it in stoarage somewhere, forgotten about.

1 month later
#76 6 years ago

Toying around the idea of selling mine. It sits in the basement not getting played anymore. Want to see it played.

Anyone have a price point that this game goes for in good working condition. If you want just pm me if you don't want to post here.

Thanks

#78 6 years ago

(In restored condition)

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

You'll know in 4 days. At least $4500.00
ebay.com link » Restored Varkon Pinball Upright Machine

Will be watching

#80 6 years ago

Gosh, I could fit two of those in places...one at office perhaps.

#81 6 years ago

We hosted a pin tourney last weekend by the way. Varkon was a Side Tourney in itself. Congrats to the winner:

IMG_4867 (resized).JPGIMG_4867 (resized).JPG

#82 6 years ago

Wish i could see a long gameplay video of this

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

My guess is it ends around $9,000. That's the one restored by Marc in Texas correct?

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

We hosted a pin tourney last weekend by the way. Varkon was a Side Tourney in itself. Congrats to the winner:

Congrats to James on being the Varkon champion at the tourney. I see his game winning score is displayed in the background.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Wish i could see a long gameplay video of this

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

ebay.com link » Restored Varkon Pinball Upright Machine

Now up to $5100.00. Reserve not met.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

It would help him sell it if he would say who did the restoration work and provided just a hair more information.

#88 6 years ago

guys this is my varkon
i had this at allentown
i really dont want to sell it but i have downsized my collection this past 4 months i enjoyed having this and maybe its time for someone else to enjoy it!

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

guys this is my varkon
i had this at allentown
i really dont want to sell it but i have downsized my collection this past 4 months i enjoyed having this and maybe its time for someone else to enjoy it!

Ah, hate to see you leave the club. Did you ever make headway on having a lower angled ramp manufactured? Who did your restoration work by the way? Good luck in your sale!

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My guess is it ends around $9,000. That's the one restored by Marc in Texas correct?

tigerlaw this was the one in texas restored by marc, bought it from a guy in atlantic city. never got the ramp fix, my job doesnt allow alot of free time. that is gonna change soon i am also moving on to a new job soon. many new life changes
gonna have more time for pinball and other hobbies hopefully.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

maybe you can add the details to his thread as that lower playfield can be tough to get to. i have to use the ls flipper to do it.

I was waiting till I had a chance to tear Varkon down for a shop job...it's been to about 5 or 6 shows and a couple parties so it was time...I figured that way I could get some pics of what I did to the ramp while I had it torn down. IMG_0666 (resized).JPGIMG_0666 (resized).JPG This is the ramp originally at the top of the PF. The screw and post on the right side of the pic. are original. The hole on the left side of the pic I put in the ramp to be able to add a screw to that area. Where I put the hole is the apex of the ramp, by putting a screw in that spot I was able to lower the ramp in that corner and enables the ball to go around it easier. IMG_0673 (resized).JPGIMG_0673 (resized).JPG Here is a pic with the screw through it with the corner plastic removed. IMG_0676 (resized).JPGIMG_0676 (resized).JPG Here is a pic with the ramp, plastic and screw attached with a metal post sleeve (that I happened to have from another set of plastics from another game) that matches the other side of the ramp. I made the hole in the ramp up a bit high it could have been down a bit so that it didn't hit the corner plastic. (Here's the obligatory warning!! If you're going to try this, you need a sharp drill bit and go very slowly and carefully, especially once you start to break through the other side...chances are you will not find another Varkon ramp if you crack it!) IMG_0682 (resized).JPGIMG_0682 (resized).JPG here is one with the ramp uninstalled from the game showing the hole. As I said before it could've been further to the left about 1/8 of an inch would've been ideal then it would've totally missed the corner plastic when I installed the metal sleeve. It works here but it's a bit close to the corner plastic and I ground the flange from the bottom of the post for it to fit against the plastic better.
The other thing I did was install a lighter ball. IMG_0711 (resized).JPGIMG_0711 (resized).JPG This is actually a "Glow Ball" they are a tad bit lighter than a regular ball. I suppose a power ball would work as well, but I didn't have one around and this one worked. It does get real dirty pretty fast. Usually after 1 show it is more of a grey color than white, but I have a friend tumble them for me and they're good to go again. The ball on the lower PF doesn't get nearly as dirty as quickly because it doesn't get the amount of play as the other one. IMG_0709 (resized).JPGIMG_0709 (resized).JPG Here is a pic of the ramp re-installed on the PF. The screw in the ramp looks like it has been there the entire time.

Also someone asked about the 1-5 targets at the top of the PF getting broken easily...I take mine to shows and they typically get nailed during a game. I had one break at a show and they're not typical target brackets and they're not available. So in order to get the game back up for the show, had to improvise some from some old ones...These weren't a lot stronger than original, so they continued to break during shows. So once I got it home I retrofitted some beefier target brackets to fit it so they're not continually breaking. IMG_0695 (resized).JPGIMG_0695 (resized).JPG I used some newer Stern brackets that I had. I had to drill new holes to mount the target because the holes are down lower under the plastic on Varkon. I also had drill new holes under the PF to mount them because the holes are the opposite way from the original. These have worked great for 3 shows and several parties without incident.
IMG_0715 (resized).JPGIMG_0715 (resized).JPG Here's one with the PF ready to go back in after shopping it. I upgraded some LEDs from Cointaker to brighten up some of the inserts...
IMG_0719 (resized).JPGIMG_0719 (resized).JPG Varkon ready to go back into the lineup. When I got it done and back together, I got to the lower PF 4 or 5 times and my bonus maxed! The modification to the ramp definitely helps make it a bit easier to get to the lower PF...even though it doesn't usually last long once you are down there!!

Phoebe

#92 6 years ago

I was waiting till I had a chance to tear Varkon down for a shop job

Great post Phoebe. Nice Varkon. Enjoy the 4th of July holiday weekend.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

$6,101.00 with about 14 hours left. Reserve not met.

#94 6 years ago

I like the way Phoebe's game plays with the glow ball. I've played it with and without, and I prefer the lighter weight ball. I did however put up 2.2 Million (which Larry beat) on it with the steel ball which I can't seem to replicate with the glow ball... So I guess I'm blaming the ball and not my poor game play!

-Steve

#95 6 years ago

thanks for posting the playfield ramp info
you varkon looks great!

#96 6 years ago

I was waiting till I had a chance to tear Varkon down for a shop job...it's been to about 5 or 6 shows and a couple parties so it was time...I figured that way I could get some pics of what I did to the ramp while I had it torn down.

Amazing work!!

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

$6,101.00 with about 14 hours left. Reserve not met.

$6600.00 with just under 4 hours left. Reserve not met.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

$6600.00 with just under 4 hours left. Reserve not met.

That specific machine was what motivated me to hunt down a Varkon. Marc did superb work on it. I tried to buy it from him shortly after TPF when it missed his 10k reserve at auction by $200 but he had already sold it by the time I contacted him.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That specific machine was what motivated me to hunt down a Varkon. Marc did superb work on it. I tried to buy it from him shortly after TPF when it missed his 10k reserve at auction by $200 but he had already sold it by the time I contacted him.

i promised myself if this did not sell i would keep it and i am going to put it back in the lineup
ill be posting some picks of the game when i get it back in the house
highest bid 7000 not enough to let this one go!

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i promised myself if this did not sell i would keep it and i am going to put it back in the lineup
ill be posting some picks of the game when i get it back in the house
highest bid 7000 not enough to let this one go!

Glad you stayed in the club! Just out of curiosity what was your reserve if you don't mind sharing? Are you going to do the ramp fix shown above?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/varkon-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.