(Topic ID: 208316)

Vari-target tips? General info (Star Race)

By practicalsteve

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey! Looking for general tips on how to make vari-targets tip top. They work but a couple of the letters are hard to light on my Star Race.

What are your general tips for these? What do you do to “rebuild” them or give them a tune up?

#3 6 years ago

The mechanism is generally easy to understand. I would take it apart down to nuts, bolts, washers, and pieces and polish all the metal. Then be sure to clean all contacts and wipers and polish. Put it back together being sure it’s not rubbing along the slot for the target arm and ensure wipers are making just enough contact to complete the circuit but not more or it will provide additional drag. Finally, adjust return spring tension so that is just pulls back, then it will work flawlessly for the next 10 years at least.. if you have direct metal to metal contact at the pivot point a super lube or other similar non gunk forming lubricant sparingly applied can be used.

Nothing special, just make it shine and pay attention to how it works when you assemble and remove all impediments to free movement.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

The mechanism is generally easy to understand. I would take it apart down to nuts, bolts, washers, and pieces and polish all the metal. Then be sure to clean all contacts and wipers and polish. Put it back together being sure it’s not rubbing along the slot for the target arm and ensure wipers are making just enough contact to complete the circuit but not more or it will provide additional drag. Finally, adjust return spring tension so that is just pulls back, then it will work flawlessly for the next 10 years at least.. if you have direct metal to metal contact at the pivot point a super lube or other similar non gunk forming lubricant sparingly applied can be used.
Nothing special, just make it shine and pay attention to how it works when you assemble and remove all impediments to free movement.

Thanks so much! About what I expected, but you never know if there’s some trick or something special you don’t know about. Thanks again for the advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vari-target-tips-general-info-star-race and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.