You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20190129_152037 (resized).jpg
Big Indian Vari target (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

yeap. As soon as the varitarget is moved out of home and the switch on top is made,the hold latch relay pulls in instead of "catching" the teeth of the unit so it will score,and then release.Something is making it release from the get go.
The schematics tell about the score and reset relay,buy nothing specific on what control the latch coil.
I can latch it by hand,but as soon as the target is hit it pulls in.
Appreciate any help..

#2 5 years ago

I just rebuilt my vari target. Are the springs in working order? What game? There was a spring on mine which keeps the teeth up to hold the target in place.

#3 5 years ago

I dont have a game with a vari target currently but I would think the relay pull in should be late in the score motor spin so it of course can score the vari points. If I had to guess I'd say the contact on the score motor was gaped to close. Show us a circuit snipit that drives the release relay

#4 5 years ago

Gottlieb Jet Spin.
yes,thank you. I think it must be on the score motor myself.I love working on em's,except for the score motor.Typical I"m sure.
One of the contacts where at 4b.I checked and seemed Ok.
I guess I'll have to revisit the score motor,because as soon as it starts ,the coil pulls in and shouldn't until the score is made.
thanks

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from southofi-10:

The schematics tell about the score and reset relay,buy nothing specific on what control the latch coil.

Are you sure? Here's the Vari target circuit from Big Indian:
Big Indian Vari target (resized).jpgBig Indian Vari target (resized).jpg
Does your Vari Target Reset relay come on only once the target is hit, or is it always on? If it's always on it could be the BX switch in the red box. If it only comes on when the target is hit, the Score Motor 2B switch is more likely stuck closed.

Edit: Reread the original post. If you can latch it by hand, then the BX switch isn't the problem.

/Mark

#6 5 years ago

Ok. Let me try the bx relay.Same schematic outlay.I get confused when the have a score relay reset,target reset,and oh yeah...the regular target reset.Thanks .I'll let you know what happens.

#7 5 years ago

No BX relay. Will do a double take of the score motor

20190129_152037 (resized).jpg20190129_152037 (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

yea the 2B contact is the late release switch. If you look at the timing chart 2B is at 110 degrees out of the 120 degrees

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 5 years ago

Yes. It was 2B. Working fine now.
Thanks for all the help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vari-target-latch-relay-releases-early and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.