• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Already have a few coats of WB Varathane on my Space Odyssey EM playfield and considering spraying a final coat of gloss to give it more pop. I read online of someone who did this only to have an adverse reaction and crazing of the semi gloss layer ruining his playfield. Has anyone else sprayed gloss over semi gloss with success or have you been satisfied with the semi gloss results?

#2 10 years ago

Get some good polishing compounds and just buff it out to a glossy sheen.

#3 10 years ago

Any recommendations for polishing compounds?

#4 10 years ago

d ont put varathane...crack all around with time.finitek-3000 is so much better!!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

d ont put varathane...crack all around with time.finitek-3000 is so much better!!

It is all in the prep.... have done several in varathane. The oldest is now about 10 years ago and still looks like it did day 1...

#6 10 years ago

what is your method?maybe i d ont do a good prep,but finitek is a lot more durable,its a polyurethane.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

what is your method?maybe i d ont do a good prep,but finitek is a lot more durable,its a polyurethane.

Here is my method from another post....

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spot-touch-up-with-clear-coat#post-352421

Quoted from Abear:

Any recommendations for polishing compounds?

See the link above as well...

#8 10 years ago

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 1.JPGJust finished applying the final coat of gloss over three coats of semi gloss and no problems whatsoever. Now I have to sit on my hands for 4 days before polishing and reassembly. Can't wait so see this playfield in action!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/varathane-semi-gloss-vs-gloss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.