Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

varathane.jpg

#1 11 years ago

I'm planning to clear a playfield with varathane. And yes, I understand automotive clear coat is better, but I don't have the equipment or funds at my disposal.

I was looking at Rust-Oleum Varathane 200081 Interior Crystal Clear Polyurethane Water-Based Spray, Gloss Finish. Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Varathane-200081-Polyurethane-Water-Based/dp/B0002YQ4OK/ref=sr_1_1

Any experience with this brand? Any recommendations on another brand? Is one gloss varathane as good as the next? Thanks for the help.

#2 11 years ago

I've done both rattle can varathane and a rattle can two part auto clear. The varathane is a lot more forgiving. I'm not going to mention much about which is better though, there are lots of guys that have a lot more experience with them than I do. What I will mention though is that depending on what game you're doing, you may not want the gloss. I did a massive touchup job on a Fast Draw that looked great. We shot it with a satin clear coat instead of the high gloss and it was amazing. That game was never really meant for that glassy shine you get from high gloss. But the satin really made it.

#3 11 years ago

Good tip. I may have found the answer to my own question, but I would still appreciate any opinions.

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index2.htm#pf2

Pinrepair recommends the Rust-Oleum mentioned above, but that brand seems to be the only game in town.

#4 11 years ago

Two thoughts.

Thats a pretty good summary of how to do this, if you follow it you should be fine.

Seconds thought-

MUCH better would be find someone locally with a spray gun who will let you either come over with your play field and simply use it (and you get at least experienced help if not expert) or less desirable- borrow it (then your on your own with a new gun). Maybe there a are pinsider's close to you.. use the map and PM them.

There is a good reason why anyone with a gun NEVER uses a rattle can again.

#5 11 years ago

I bet you could rent an HVLP sprayer from a paint store or home depot? I never liked rattle cans for finish coating, Best of Luck!

#6 11 years ago

I knew it... "Don't do iiiiittttt!!!"

Still leaning towards varathane, but I'll see what else may be available.

#7 11 years ago

Ive used Varathane a few times and have had great success with it. I do plan on trying the auto clear on my next touchup/clear coat project though. If its your first time, go for the Varathane. Easy and very forgiving. A HVLP gun is fairly cheap though. If you have a decent air compressor, you can pick up the gun for $40-50 bucks.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from pintastic:

A HVLP gun is fairly cheap though

One thing to remember is getting the correct size spray tip for whatever clear coat you use, most manufacturers or wherever you buy it from should know the nozzle size needed. If you are lucky it will tell you on the label.

#9 11 years ago

Thats the stuff. If you have a local Grainger they can get it for you in a day. I use it. Works great. Just takes a long time to cure before you can really buff it to a shine. Autoclear is a much quicker process.

I was just given an HVLP setup, i'm thinking of buying that varathane in a gallon jug and trying to spray it with the gun for better consistency. I don't have the space to spray toxic auto clear yet.

2 months later
    #10 11 years ago

So, Mudflaps, what did you end up doing and how did it go?

#11 11 years ago

Would be interested as well.

#12 11 years ago

So, Mudflaps, what did you end up doing and how did it go?

I bought two rattle cans from amazon.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Varathane-200081-Polyurethane-Water-Based/dp/B0002YQ4OK/ref=sr_1_3

This seems to be the best brand for a playfield. I still need to buy a few bottles of acrylic paint, touch up a few spots after a Naptha wash, and then I'll clearcoat. I'll probably start in the next week or two and keep the thread updated with pictures and results.

varathane.jpgvarathane.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Ive used that brand and the results have come out very nicely

#14 11 years ago

If you have a Pat Catans craft store near you they also sell it.

1 year later
    #15 10 years ago

Sorry, i dont know what buy.. the Varathane Spar Urethane or Varathane Crystal Clear Polyurethane?

Thanks

#16 10 years ago

^^ Check the amazon link... that's the brand to buy.

#17 10 years ago

Mudflaps - if your a Vet, you might want to check Quantico. The last time I was in that area, they had a DIY paint barn at the auto hobby. Mind you it was 20 yrs ago, but Quantico is a big place; It still may be around.

#18 10 years ago

^^ Hmmmm. I'm currently 'out of town,' but I'll check it out when I get back. I purchased 2 rattle cans of 2-stage auto clear and I'm planning to clear TFTC in the next few months. I varathaned my wall art playfield, but TFTC is a keeper. Quantico is a 5 minute drive!

#19 10 years ago

varathane works fine. I've done several pf's with it. both my pinbot and BoP with varathane have gone to Chicago expo. Nothing but compliments on the looks of both. Pinbot has gone to expo twice and shows no wear from the nearly 2000 plays at expos, plus what I've put on it at home. Only note, varathane will slightly dull colors as you get thicker.

#20 10 years ago

Cool - they should have all the equipment you need. Let us know how it works out!

#21 10 years ago

The amazon link and the photo that you posted are different....

2 months later
    #22 9 years ago

Anyone have advice on how soon after the last coat of Varathane can I wax the surface? Should I wait for the entire 30 days advised before playing? I'm ready to prep the surface for repopulating, and I just want to know if I can go ahead and wax before doing that. And should I treat with anything prior to the carnauba coat? Novus 2 or 3? Or just go straight to the wax?

BTW, the clearcoat looks really good. The Varathane was a bit nubbly for the thinner coats, but once I lost my fear of putting on too much, the final 2 coats came out very well. Make sure your playfield is level during the thicker coats though!

I used the Varathane - Heavy Use Formula - Interior - Water Based, no 200081, as linked above--found it at my local Home Depot.

#23 9 years ago

I just got two playfields CC costing around $400 each. When talking to the pro's that do this all time I really think regarding the time, sanding and skill level to do it correctly I honestly believe you are a better off getting a professional to do it. I think its great people are trying to do this but there could be a lot more damage done when not done correctly.

Just my two cents.

#24 9 years ago

Mine was a somewhat damaged playfield and I just wanted to get it to where I could keep it from deteriorating further. And I wasn't willing to strip the bottom of the playfield (too many stapled wires, etc). The finish actually came out great. The only downside is the crappy color-matching job I did .

#25 9 years ago

I used my experierience with this playfield to prepare myself to auto clearcoat my TFTC. I used SprayMax 2K after repairing and touching up. Totally different experiences but well worth it. Back on topic, the varathane I used still looks good (but it's wall art). Varathane and auto clear are very different approaches to playfield protection.

1 week later
    #26 9 years ago

Has anyone used the SprayMax 2K on top of an already sprayed playfield with Varathane 200081? I was wondering if it is compatable?

#27 9 years ago

The bad part is, that it may be compatible now, but how about in 3 years?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/varathane-clear-coat-brand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.