(Topic ID: 244041)

Vancouver FlipOut Pinball Expo: Oct 4-6, 2019

By FlipperFreak

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.47.40 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.54.46 AM (resized).png
    VFO2019-LARGE (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Don’t miss Vancouver FlipOut Pinball Expo Oct 4-6, 2019! At “The Roundhouse” 181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver, BC. (Early qualifying starts Oct 3 @ 4pm)

Pre-order your discount weekend passes now! Only $60! Available online for a limited time only. Also, FlipOut (Main Tourney) $50. Don't miss out. Register before it's too late! 240 Player Cap.

http://www.vancouverflipout.com

PINBALL EXPO:
    100+ Games on Free Play, Pinball Machines (1950's to present), Arcade Games, and a variety of Free Tournaments for ALL SKILL LEVELS & AGES! Trophy's, Prizes & Bragging rights included.

Friday, Oct 4: 10am-10pm
    Saturday, Oct 5: 10am-10pm
    Sunday, Oct 6: 10am-6pm

Weekend passes are good for the entire duration of the show including early & late access Friday & Saturday (9am-11pm). Individual day passes are good for the day purchased during regular show operating hours, either Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

FLIPOUT, Jurassic Classics, Women's Coup-de-Grace, Knockout & Junior Jam Tourney: $10,000 in prizes, in the form of cash, trophies, plaques, and pinball memorabilia to be awarded across all tournaments!

Vancouver Flip-Out (Main Tournament)

Main Tournament, Limited Best-Game Qualifying. IFPA Ranked.
    $30 to Enter, 15 tickets. Maximum three rebuys, of 5 tickets for $10 each.
    12 or more machines, best 7 scores count
    Open Division: Top 24 qualifiers, $1000 guaranteed to winner.
    Novice Division: Top 16 qualifiers, IFPA Rank Restriction at 3500, $150 guaranteed to winner.
    Qualifying Thursday through Saturday, finals on Sunday.
    IFPA-Sanctioned Tournament, with 100% tourney grading.

Jurassic Classics
    Classics Tournament, PAPA-Style Qualifying in sets of 4 games. IFPA Ranked.
    $10 per Entry. One entry is four games. Unlimited retries.
    Open Division: Top 24 qualifiers, $500 guaranteed to winner.
    Novice Division: Top 16 qualifiers, IFPA Rank Restriction at 3500, $150 guaranteed to winner.
    Qualifying Thursday through Saturday 6pm, finals Saturday 7pm.
    IFPA-Sanctioned Tournament, with 100% tourney grading.

Women's Coup-de-Grace
    Women's Tournament, 4-Strike Knockout.
    $10 Entry. Saturday 2pm.
    $100 and plaque guaranteed to winner.
    Plaques and cash prizes for top 4. Additional prizes if more than 20 players.

Knockout Tournament
    3-Strike Knockout tournament for players who are not ranked in IFPA top 1500
    $5 Entry. Sunday 1pm.
    $100 and plaque guaranteed for the winner.
    (Note: Players in VFO Open Division Final 16 or Novice Final 4 not eligible)

Junior Jam
    Match Play, 4 Rounds
    $1 Entry. Sunday 11am.
    Top 4 qualify for one 4-player-game final.
    Plaques for Top 4.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
    Special rates are available for hotel guests via our website. Use discount code VFO.
    There’s a ton of places to eat close by. As well, we’ll have a Food Vendors & Beer Garden.
    Pinball machines & related items will be for sale at the event.

If you are interested in donating a machine, becoming a sponsor or volunteer.....
    Please contact [email protected]

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/VancouverFlipout

VFO2019-LARGE (resized).jpgVFO2019-LARGE (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #2 4 years ago

This show and tournament has been cancelled. Not sure why no announcement has been made.

#4 4 years ago

hoping I can make it out again this year!!! such a great time! real cool venue!

#5 4 years ago

I paid for a ticket and was refunded. The organizer sent a vague reply that the event was cancelled and hopes to return next year at a different venue.

#6 4 years ago

Stern Pro Circuit removed it from the list. TD's pulled out of running the tourney.

#7 4 years ago

Oh damn that’s a shame. Was really hoping it could still work out

#8 4 years ago

Ahhh yes, I kinda figured Dave might not want to run it again.

#9 4 years ago

I still made travel plans; maybe some locals can unite around a venue/bar to host an obviously much smaller, replacement tourney? It's a bummer that people couldn't figure out how to unite and keep a good event going.

#10 4 years ago

That sucks...............

#11 4 years ago

If true, this is a major loss to the Western Canadian pinball scene.

Plus, I already bought flights when they were onsale cheap!

#12 4 years ago

Is this really a surprise?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Is this really a surprise?

Kind of. More disappointed than anything else. The punitive response to all this takes away an event that’s more than its organizer.

#14 4 years ago

Having said that, I’m still traveling there that weekend and plan to play a bunch of pinball and would enjoy meeting others that have already made plans to be there.

#15 4 years ago

This was an extremely tough decision to cancel the event this year. VFO is Tommy’s baby and with him taking time off from pinball ....we couldn’t guarantee the caliber of show people have come to expect. We can always find another tournament director, venue, etc. But, to find another person like my husband willing to step up and support the community at this level is difficult. He had already been working on rebranding VFO and looking to take it across Canada in 2020. We all hope this still happens.

#16 4 years ago

It’s a shame, tommy has done so much to support the community over the years. Hopefully nitro can regroup and something will be able to happen next year.

Txs for posting MOMM

#17 4 years ago

That's too bad. I would have been happy. But, i'm looking forward to visit your wonderful canada and great vancouver without a vancouver flipout.

Thank you for your information MOMM

#18 4 years ago

It’s unfortunate that this is no longer happening in 2019. I know the Nitro team put countless hours into this show over the past years and it got better and better each time. Hopefully we see it again in 2020.

#19 4 years ago

A very sad day for pinball in Vancouver, but I have faith that the show will come back to life in some form in the future, and I will continue to support them with games and assistance when needed.

#20 4 years ago

Ouch...Totally understandable given the circumstances. I hope everyone who booked flights and accomodations are able to cancel them.

#21 4 years ago

It must have been a very tough decision. Here is hoping a 2020 rebranded show comes back bigger than ever for Vancouver pinball enthusiasts.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from IntheWordsOf:

I still made travel plans; maybe some locals can unite around a venue/bar to host an obviously much smaller, replacement tourney? It's a bummer that people couldn't figure out how to unite and keep a good event going.

Hold tight! ......

#24 4 years ago

Sad news.

Nitro and Tommy has done so much for the pinball community. I don't get the chance to travel to the many other tournaments around NA and really look forward to it.

Hoping for a return in 2020 and of course I'll volunteer on the floor again to help keep everything running.

#25 4 years ago

I hope Tommy does whats best for him and his family. I also hope he realizes that people won't forget all he has done over the years. He made a mistake he owned it and when he is ready to come back there are people that will accept him.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I also hope he realizes that people won't forget all he has done

I agree, and mean it completely differently than you do.

2 months later
    #27 4 years ago

I am still unclear what is happening, the website says it’s still on for October 2019

I understand there are 2 parts to it, the official tournament and the free play area for casual players. Are both cancelled for 2019?

http://www.vancouverflipout.com/

#28 4 years ago

Yeah both canceled

#29 4 years ago

There is an alternate tournament event being held the same dates in Vancouver that you might want to consider:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminal-city-pinball-championships-vancouver-canada-october-4-6

4 weeks later
    #30 4 years ago

Apparently no cancellation notices are posted for FlipOut Pinball Expo at the Round House venue today and people are turning up there looking for the show.

I just found out through a friend of mine who brought some other people in from out of town to attend it...

There was nothing there so he phoned me hoping to find out what happened - and I told him it had been cancelled. He said he had just checked a few web sites and they said it was on, but no signage there and no-one present to explain why.

#31 4 years ago

The web site is still up and saying come to the 2019 show!

http://vancouverflipout.com/

Granted you can't buy tickets to the event - that appears to have been turned off, but no official notice that the event has been cancelled as of 11AM Oct 5th.

Screen shots taken this morning, Saturday, Oct 5th at 10:45AM

Does this look like a cancelled event to anyone else? All I can do is hope some people check Pinside who are still thinking of going to this event and see that it is cancelled.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.54.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.54.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.47.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-05 at 10.47.40 AM (resized).png
    #32 4 years ago

If you’re looking for some pinball a bunch of us have organized a tournament this weekend.

Terminal city pinball championships.

#33 4 years ago

Nice morning walk down to the roundhouse... and it’s cancelled? Lots of others trickling in. When and why?!?

1 month later
    #34 4 years ago

I was just talking to someone that had made plans to go down to Vancouver, only to find the event was cancelled. He was pissed. Some advance notice would have been nice. Pretty sad. You would think with all the free ads he (she) runs on Craigslist and Kijiji he could have at least posted the event was canceled. Get the word out. The pinball community is bigger than just this thread on Pinside. As far as some people saying what all Nitro has done for pinball. I'm not sure they have done anything. They are a for profit company They try to make money. They like everyone else is looking at improving their bottom line. Hopefully the volunteers are getting something more than just a free pass and a cheeseburger for their time and effort.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vancouver-flipout-pinball-expo-oct-4-6-2019?hl=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.