Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by AVH7401
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drake-rihanna-work-video (resized).png
    supreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpg
    750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg
    Ozzy-Osbourne (resized).jpg
    40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg
    hagarRoth (resized).jpg
    Montrose-cover (resized).jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago

Roth was even worse than Robert Plant, when performing live.

This is 100% real:

#16 5 years ago

DLR said he copied his entire act from Jim Dandy, and JD's hair was real

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpg

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Agreed. I actually enjoyed Sammy somewhat. I know I am in the minority though.

Although the Sammy albums were totally gay, you do have to accept that they were the pinnacle of Corporate Rock.

ALL FOUR Sammy VH albums hit #1 on Billboard ----- -- obviously none of the DLR VH albums ever hit #1

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Plant was king, but when I saw him in his later years, I was disappointed. He didn't have the range, so it seemed like a bad imitation of himself.

I never saw a good LZ show.

The Song Remains The Same movie with all the studio re-recorded overdubs, and 3 nights of performances to pick the best from, is still pretty weak

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You do realize there wouldn't have BEEN a "Sammy" VH without Roth to help propel them there in the first place....they were one of the biggest bands in the world when Sammy joined...

All that matters is that Sammy gave VH:

FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW

VH had no #1 albums before Sammy, and no #1 albums after.

-

Sammy knows how to do Pepsi sellin' arena rock with the same formula that sold millions of Montrose and Red Rocker discs.

hagarRoth (resized).jpghagarRoth (resized).jpg
    #61 5 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

I have seen Ozzy on multiple occasions and while he sounds terrible compared to his peak

That's because Ozzy always has another guy singing for him from the sidestage.

So you have to decide, would it be better to pay to see Ozzy lip-sync to his own voice pre-recorded, or to see Ozzy lip-sync to another singer's voice, but live ?

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

No offense but you sound like a Recording Industry Executive.

Everybody loves the bare-assed antics of DLR, but we got to give Hammy Hagar his due.

It's almost impossible for any hard-rock band to get a #1 album

It's insane to think that SH gave VH four #1 albums in a row !

40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg
    #66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok, Robert Mason didn't do the last Sabbath tour, he's only been hired to do Ozzy solo stuff; mostly when Ozzy was having all his issues from being over-medicated (i.e. the late 90s and early 00s). During the "The End" tour, Robert Mason was in LA doing the most recent Warrant record

It's not like Mason is the only singer ever hired to sing as Ozzy.

Mike Binson (bison, benson?) did Ozzy for what, 5 years?

When his album "Under Cover" came out, all the morning DJs were laughing that it's possible that none of the tracks actually have Ozzy singing on them

Ozzy - Good Times

#68 5 years ago

It might not even be Ozzy at all anymore.

Mae West was replaced by another performer for the last 20 years of "her" career.

As a 71 year old, drug abusing, alcoholic grandfather, he must have a better plastic surgeon than anyone else in hollywood
    Ozzy-Osbourne (resized).jpgOzzy-Osbourne (resized).jpg

#69 5 years ago

Just like if you guys ever paid money to see "The Zombies" live, the touring band had NO actual band members at all.

But the band did have Dusty Hill and Frank Beard of ZZ Top

So although you got royally scammed, you can say you saw ZZ Top, and they totally sucked.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jesus vid.
    This was true for like 1 year in 1970.
    It’s a great story but “the zombies” have been touring for a few decades with at least 2 original members including the singer and Argent of “hold your head up” fame.
    See also “no original members steppenwolf” circa 1980.

How about when you hear on the radio in the monster truck pull voice "The triumphant return of Foghat !!!"?

Return from where, beyond the grave?

Once in a while the original drummer joins a tour, but otherwise the key members are dead.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The "band" you are referencing took place in 1969. So that means that if we "got royally scammed", we would have to be 65 plus years old as that was 50 years ago.

Exactly.

That's when they were at their peak, 1969.

It would not be much of a scam if you saw them 50 years after they had their last hit, and the members had been replaced.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

By 86 when Sammy joined, it was a polar opposite - disco was dead, and the new wave of British heavy metal (Priest, Maiden, Scorpions, Def Leppard etc) was joined by their U.S. brethren

I dunno,

Priest is from 1969 and everyone's favorite stadium song, Tyrant is from 1974

I would not group Priest or Maiden in with all those supergay 80s bands like Def Leppard, Metallica & Quite Riot......Easily the worst time in music history.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

disco had taken the country by storm. Hell, even KISS tried to get aboard the train.

Paul's favorite song is still I was Made For Lovin You

Quoted from pinzrfun:

And you have to admit, Sammy wrote more pop/radio friendly songs. I mean, can you even picture Dave singing "Love Comes Walking In"?

One of the worst songs ever recorded, I'd say it's probably worse than We Built This City On Rock N Roll

I once sprained my finger trying to change the station before I heard a millisecond of that yollowing

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

HUH? Everyone’s favorite Priest song is not “Tyrant”. Was this a joke? My money’s on “Living After Midnight” or a little ditty called “Breaking the Law”, both from 1980.

LAM and BTL are good encore songs, even the non-fans can sing along to their simple structure.

The Ripper and Tyrant are true fan favs, their complex changeups have been satisfying fans for over 40 years....and of course, the most fun is when Rob sings Tyrant's "Mourn for our souls, oppressed with fear" and the audience sings along "O' Suzanna, don't you cry for me...."

Live, a few months ago in TX:

1975 w/lyrics:

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from facelift:

You are forgetting that 1984's album had bigger hits than any of their previous albums and the band was really breaking out. The singles from that album were on the radio constantly and it's obvious that VH's next album would have been huge with DLR.

Hard rock bands almost NEVER had a #1 album (Not Led Zep, not The Who, not KISS....)

For a hard rock band to get FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW is the shitz

(and since the last time a guitar based band even charted at all in the Top 40 was 2009, it's safe to say that VH record will stand for all time).

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sabbath had a #1 album 5 years ago. Boom.

Priest had a top 10 album this year. Stop making up nonsense about 2009.

The big chart is the Billboard Top 200.

There are now a bunch of niche markets charts.

So having a #1 album in the Rock, Latin, R&B, Blues, Country, Dance, Alternative chart, is nowhere near having a real #1 in the Top 200

Many bands get a #1 in the rock chart with less than 15,000 units sold that week, so that's a super lame chart.

But even on the lame charts, how many bands can get FOUR #1 IN A ROW ???

-

Much more interesting is I saw that the Queen movie put the Queen Soundtrack on the real Billboard 200 a few weeks ago - their highest charting album in 40 years!!!!

#94 5 years ago

Eddie is doing special guitars right now to celebrate the 40th anniversary of VH .

You guys that like to put junk on top of your games, this would be perfect for a VH pin:

$8,000
    750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Eh, I don't do toppers but for $8000 I would put a 11x17 picture. I could save $7999.50.

The funny part is, it that a real Frankenstrat could be built, out of real vintage parts, for about $1200

Get an old worn out Strat from the 70s, a Gibson PAF pickup, a couple of large Screw-Eyes for strap pins, and a Gibson logo for the headstock, and some rattlecan spray paint.

This would be a perfect reproduction.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Those guitars would look very nice displayed next to a Supreme pinball machine!

The real Supreme was only $2000....

supreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpgsupreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpg
    #105 5 years ago

Now they are implying that Michael Anthony is lying

Talk about a slow news day...

http://www.alternativenation.net/van-halen-member-may-be-lying-about-reunion/

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

He's not forgetting, he just gets a narrow view of what he wants to talk aboot; right now it's #1 records for some reason.

Four #1 albums in row was unthinkable for a hard rock band.

Totally amazing; but still, it's not even close to Drake, who is right now at EIGHT #1 albums in a row.

And because he is at his creative peak, he surly has a few more to add to that record.

drake-rihanna-work-video (resized).pngdrake-rihanna-work-video (resized).png
    #108 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Umm, OK. I don't even know what it means, nor do I really care.

Why are you posting then?

Why would we care, that you don't care, about something you don't understand?

-

For those who do care, and know what's up, here is VH final show @ Hollywood Bowl 2015:

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

We were talking aboot DLR & Sammy and you changed the conversation to #1 albums

It's part of that exact conversation.

Intelligent people like to have a meter to compare something that might be thought of as subjective.

If we wanted to compare "who is the better singer, Adel or Rhianna" we might use Octave Range as our meter.

If we wanted to compare "who is the more successful singer, Adel or Rhianna" we might use Album Sales as our meter.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Did the original lineup reunite in 2015 or was Dave Lee Roth just making a return?

It was a no Sammy, no Anthony tour.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Actually what you've done is cherry picked 1 set of criteria you'd like to look at and based your argument around that.

Yawn.

I only like to talk about things that I'm interested in.

If I was interested in vocal range, number of twitter followers, or who can kick the highest, I would have posted that instead.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/van-halen-rumored-to-reunite?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.