Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by AVH7401
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drake-rihanna-work-video (resized).png
    supreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpg
    750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg
    Ozzy-Osbourne (resized).jpg
    40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg
    hagarRoth (resized).jpg
    Montrose-cover (resized).jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

All that matters is that Sammy gave VH:
    FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW

Hmmm... I don't think that is all that matters actually. Usually in these discussions we talk record sales, which of course those 4 #1 albums isn't even close (and they didn't have to go against thriller).

Quoted from vid1900:

Sammy knows how to do Pepsi sellin' arena rock with the same formula that sold millions of Montrose and Red Rocker discs.[quoted image]

Well he's a fine man, but nowhere near as many.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like he's hitting the lounge circuit.

Thought that was Fraiser coming out for a minute there.

#53 5 years ago

Here's a good one from the 2015 tour:

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW
    VH had no #1 albums before Sammy, and no #1 albums after.
    [quoted image]

No offense but you sound like a Recording Industry Executive.

#55 5 years ago

Diamond Dave never had a great voice, the best singer in VH was Anthony, that being said he was a STELLAR frontman.
    I have seen Ozzy on multiple occasions and while he sounds terrible compared to his peak, he always has an amazing band behind him and the shows rock. I have never seen VH live but I will go to this tour if they come to the DC area. I want to see EVH shred.

#56 5 years ago

Back in the day I would have rather seen VH with Dave. Now, VH with Sammy. I liked early Sammy with Montrose and some of his solo stuff, and as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate it more. Saw him a few years ago doing the county fair circuit and the guy can still bring it. He knows his voice isn't what it was so he'll hit a high note and let the back up singers keep it going but he puts on a good show.

Dave, not so much. He was always a great showman, but not such a great singer.

#57 5 years ago

The only real VH is w/DLR. Even with a reunion, I wouldn't go. Of course, I wouldn't go see any band nowadays. Don't care about Eddie's over weight offspring on bass. 1981 was the last good VH show to see................downhill after that.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Diamond Dave never had a great voice, the best singer in VH was Anthony, that being said he was a STELLAR frontman.
    I have seen Ozzy on multiple occasions and while he sounds terrible compared to his peak, he always has an amazing band behind him and the shows rock. I have never seen VH live but I will go to this tour if they come to the DC area. I want to see EVH shred.

Ozzy was ON FIRE at the Sabbath show when they last played Jiffy Lube. I was astonished, after years of sounding like he was gargling razors and forgetting half the words. Major turnaround

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ozzy was ON FIRE at the Sabbath show when they last played Jiffy Lube. I was astonished, after years of sounding like he was gargling razors and forgetting half the words. Major turnaround

Yeah that was the best Ozzy performance I have seen in years but the highlight was Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. I saw Ozzy's "No More Tours 2" show this summer and he sounded good but Zakk Wylde stole the show.

#60 5 years ago

Yeah that was the best Ozzy performance I have seen in years but the highlight was Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. I saw Ozzy's "No More Tours 2" show this summer and he sounded good but Zakk Wylde stole the show.

Yes! I had a really hard time with Tommy Clufetos, but I understand why they didn’t tour with Bill. Tommy was just boring as hell though, even his drum solo was boring. Tony and Geezer destroyed for sure

#61 5 years ago

I have seen Ozzy on multiple occasions and while he sounds terrible compared to his peak

That's because Ozzy always has another guy singing for him from the sidestage.

So you have to decide, would it be better to pay to see Ozzy lip-sync to his own voice pre-recorded, or to see Ozzy lip-sync to another singer's voice, but live ?

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

No offense but you sound like a Recording Industry Executive.

Everybody loves the bare-assed antics of DLR, but we got to give Hammy Hagar his due.

It's almost impossible for any hard-rock band to get a #1 album

It's insane to think that SH gave VH four #1 albums in a row !

40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg
    #63 5 years ago

I saw them with Roth a few years ago and I said never again. DLR stopped songs to yell at stage hands. A total jerk and his voice was bad. Bring back Sammy and I would go again.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's because Ozzy always has another guy singing for him from the sidestage.
    So you have to decide, would it be better to pay to see Ozzy lip-sync to his own voice pre-recorded, or to see Ozzy lip-sync to another singer's voice, but live ?

Ok, Robert Mason didn't do the last Sabbath tour, he's only been hired to do Ozzy solo stuff; mostly when Ozzy was having all his issues from being over-medicated (i.e. the late 90s and early 00s). During the "The End" tour, Robert Mason was in LA doing the most recent Warrant record

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from TurboTim:

DLR stopped songs to yell at stage hands. A total jerk and his voice was bad

Years ago, I saw a country singer at a Nashville matinee show stop in mid-song and begin to berate his sound man. It was a barrage. The bass played stepped in and was eventually able to diffuse the situation. I felt so sorry for the sound man. I was so bummed I just got up and walked out.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok, Robert Mason didn't do the last Sabbath tour, he's only been hired to do Ozzy solo stuff; mostly when Ozzy was having all his issues from being over-medicated (i.e. the late 90s and early 00s). During the "The End" tour, Robert Mason was in LA doing the most recent Warrant record

It's not like Mason is the only singer ever hired to sing as Ozzy.

Mike Binson (bison, benson?) did Ozzy for what, 5 years?

When his album "Under Cover" came out, all the morning DJs were laughing that it's possible that none of the tracks actually have Ozzy singing on them

Ozzy - Good Times

#67 5 years ago

If Ozzy had people singing for him at the last 2 Sabbath concerts and the No More Tours 2 show, they did not do a good job. I had good seats for all of them and it was definitely him singing. Voice cracking on notes, coming in slightly early/late on a verse, cracking jokes... it was him. Now when I saw Sabbath at Ozzfest in 2001 there was definitely someone singing with him. He would be screaming "LOUDER!!" for the 587th time while also singing War Pigs... He was far from sober in that period, he has sobered up significantly since 2012.

#68 5 years ago

It might not even be Ozzy at all anymore.

Mae West was replaced by another performer for the last 20 years of "her" career.

As a 71 year old, drug abusing, alcoholic grandfather, he must have a better plastic surgeon than anyone else in hollywood
    Ozzy-Osbourne (resized).jpgOzzy-Osbourne (resized).jpg

#69 5 years ago

Just like if you guys ever paid money to see "The Zombies" live, the touring band had NO actual band members at all.

But the band did have Dusty Hill and Frank Beard of ZZ Top

So although you got royally scammed, you can say you saw ZZ Top, and they totally sucked.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes! I had a really hard time with Tommy Clufetos, but I understand why they didn’t tour with Bill. Tommy was just boring as hell though, even his drum solo was boring. Tony and Geezer destroyed for sure

Really? Tommy was boring? That's too bad. I saw him with Nugent 10-15 years ago.....dude was insane. I still talk about his solo.

The other memorable part of the concert was the 350 Chevy powered motorcycle parked right out front. Nugent was forgettable.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just like if you guys ever paid money to see "The Zombies" live, the touring band had NO actual band members at all.
    So although you got royally scammed, you can say you saw ZZ Top, and they totally sucked.

Not true. The Zombies have been touring since 2005 with the two key members, and at they also brought the remaining surviving members out for the last couple of tours to perform O&O live, including Chris White. The "band" you are referencing took place in 1969. So that means that if we "got royally scammed", we would have to be 65 plus years old as that was 50 years ago. Anybody who has seen The Zombies in the last 14 years saw the original band, or most of them.

If you want to keep pulling out your shock facts, at least tell the entire story.

#72 5 years ago

Watching these guys years back is the closest thing i will ever see that could compare to a good van halen show!

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Jesus vid.

This was true for like 1 year in 1970.

It’s a great story but “the zombies” have been touring for a few decades with at least 2 original members including the singer and Argent of “hold your head up” fame.

See also “no original members steppenwolf” circa 1980.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jesus vid.
    This was true for like 1 year in 1970.
    It’s a great story but “the zombies” have been touring for a few decades with at least 2 original members including the singer and Argent of “hold your head up” fame.
    See also “no original members steppenwolf” circa 1980.

How about when you hear on the radio in the monster truck pull voice "The triumphant return of Foghat !!!"?

Return from where, beyond the grave?

Once in a while the original drummer joins a tour, but otherwise the key members are dead.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The "band" you are referencing took place in 1969. So that means that if we "got royally scammed", we would have to be 65 plus years old as that was 50 years ago.

Exactly.

That's when they were at their peak, 1969.

It would not be much of a scam if you saw them 50 years after they had their last hit, and the members had been replaced.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Really? Tommy was boring? That's too bad. I saw him with Nugent 10-15 years ago.....dude was insane. I still talk about his solo.
    The other memorable part of the concert was the 350 Chevy powered motorcycle parked right out front. Nugent was forgettable.

He’s a great drummer, I just think he was playing ‘nice’ (not too showy) since it was for Sabbath - I distinctly remember him not playing a lot of the Bill Ward parts right, which I didn’t think was cool - he just played standard rock guy stuff. Sounded a lot like Vinnie Appice, who’s also a great drummer, but has a very rigid, standard style.

That’s what I meant about being “boring”. That said, Bill Ward hardly played his parts the same way twice back in the day so who knows what he would have done himself!

#77 5 years ago

I saw the last Van Halen tour. I had a great time. Cool tunes and good show. My fiends hated it. They thought the vocals sucked!! I would like to see them with Sammy but I don’t think that will happen.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm a huge Sabbath fan, as I can appreciate something from every single album.
    I missed them on the final tour. I'm certain it was a great live show, but when I saw the setlist, I didn't feel too bad about missing them. They skipped some of their best songs, many of my favorites, since Ozzy cannot sing them anymore.
    According to the average set list listed online, only ONE song from Vol. 4 (Snowblind) and nothing from Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, or Never Say Die. I understand the latter, as some members of the band hate it (Ozzy). Not sure how Tony or Geezer feel about it nowadays. I think it's a great album and all the songs are fantastic. I know Bill appreciates it.

Anyways, I am thankful I got to see the Mob Rules/Dehumanizer line up of Dio/Tony/Geezer/Appice back in '09 I think it was, along with Judas Priest.

#79 5 years ago

Mike Anthony just stated that he hasn't talked to anyone is VH in the last 4 years so.. forget the stupid VH is Reuniting rumor for the 67th time.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

In case you were interested, here’s 2 1/2 hours of Old Diamond Dave dancing to the love train. ...........No, I’m serious.

okay, so what's the story behind this? I oh good god, I can't believe I watched all of this.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It might not even be Ozzy at all anymore.

Is it me or is Ozzy looking more and more like Sharon?

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Everybody loves the bare-assed antics of DLR, but we got to give Hammy Hagar his due.
    It's almost impossible for any hard-rock band to get a #1 album
    It's insane to think that SH gave VH four #1 albums in a row ![quoted image]

Lol....ok, a tip of the hat to Sammy. I've seen both versions of the band several times, but Daves is the real VH, to me. Vid, I think we're roughly the same age....remember when VHs first album came out in early '79, disco had taken the country by storm. Hell, even KISS tried to get aboard the train. By 86 when Sammy joined, it was a polar opposite - disco was dead, and the new wave of British heavy metal (Priest, Maiden, Scorpions, Def Leppard etc) was joined by their U.S. brethren (Metallica, Quiet Riot, Anthrax, Megadeth etc) to make the music scene guitar and musician friendly again.
    And you have to admit, Sammy wrote more pop/radio friendly songs. I mean, can you even picture Dave singing "Love Comes Walking In"? Which probably sums up my preference - Sammy brought too much of the beach with him. Dave fronted a darker, meaner VH. Did I buy the Sammy albums and see the tours? Sure, it was still Eddie on guitar. I just prefer the Dave
    era, number one albums or not. Gold and platinum still looks good on the wall.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

By 86 when Sammy joined, it was a polar opposite - disco was dead, and the new wave of British heavy metal (Priest, Maiden, Scorpions, Def Leppard etc) was joined by their U.S. brethren

I dunno,

Priest is from 1969 and everyone's favorite stadium song, Tyrant is from 1974

I would not group Priest or Maiden in with all those supergay 80s bands like Def Leppard, Metallica & Quite Riot......Easily the worst time in music history.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

disco had taken the country by storm. Hell, even KISS tried to get aboard the train.

Paul's favorite song is still I was Made For Lovin You

Quoted from pinzrfun:

And you have to admit, Sammy wrote more pop/radio friendly songs. I mean, can you even picture Dave singing "Love Comes Walking In"?

One of the worst songs ever recorded, I'd say it's probably worse than We Built This City On Rock N Roll

I once sprained my finger trying to change the station before I heard a millisecond of that yollowing

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I would not group Priest or Maiden in with all those supergay 80s bands like Def Leppard, Metallica & Quite Riot......Easily the worst time in music history.

What on earth are you talking about???

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I dunno,

Wow.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW
    VH had no #1 albums before Sammy, and no #1 albums after.
    -
    Sammy knows how to do Pepsi sellin' arena rock with the same formula that sold millions of Montrose and Red Rocker discs.[quoted image]

You are forgetting that 1984's album had bigger hits than any of their previous albums and the band was really breaking out. The singles from that album were on the radio constantly and it's obvious that VH's next album would have been huge with DLR.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I dunno,

Paul's favorite song is still I was Made For Lovin You

One of the worst songs ever recorded, I'd say it's probably worse than We Built This City On Rock N Roll
    I once sprained my finger trying to change the station before I heard a millisecond of that yollowing

HUH? Everyone’s favorite Priest song is not “Tyrant”. Was this a joke? My money’s on “Living After Midnight” or a little ditty called “Breaking the Law”, both from 1980.

Although I agree that Priest and Maiden are not glam rock. There’s LOTS of other great metal from the 80s, just none of it was from LA.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Lol....ok, a tip of the hat to Sammy. I've seen both versions of the band several times, but Daves is the real VH, to me. Vid, I think we're roughly the same age....remember when VHs first album came out in early '79, disco had taken the country by storm. Hell, even KISS tried to get aboard the train. By 86 when Sammy joined, it was a polar opposite - disco was dead, and the new wave of British heavy metal (Priest, Maiden, Scorpions, Def Leppard etc) was joined by their U.S. brethren (Metallica, Quiet Riot, Anthrax, Megadeth etc) to make the music scene guitar and musician friendly again.
    And you have to admit, Sammy wrote more pop/radio friendly songs. I mean, can you even picture Dave singing "Love Comes Walking In"? Which probably sums up my preference - Sammy brought too much of the beach with him. Dave fronted a darker, meaner VH. Did I buy the Sammy albums and see the tours? Sure, it was still Eddie on guitar. I just prefer the Dave
    era, number one albums or not. Gold and platinum still looks good on the wall.

VH debut was 78

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

HUH? Everyone’s favorite Priest song is not “Tyrant”. Was this a joke? My money’s on “Living After Midnight” or a little ditty called “Breaking the Law”, both from 1980.

LAM and BTL are good encore songs, even the non-fans can sing along to their simple structure.

The Ripper and Tyrant are true fan favs, their complex changeups have been satisfying fans for over 40 years....and of course, the most fun is when Rob sings Tyrant's "Mourn for our souls, oppressed with fear" and the audience sings along "O' Suzanna, don't you cry for me...."

Live, a few months ago in TX:

1975 w/lyrics:

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from facelift:

You are forgetting that 1984's album had bigger hits than any of their previous albums and the band was really breaking out. The singles from that album were on the radio constantly and it's obvious that VH's next album would have been huge with DLR.

Hard rock bands almost NEVER had a #1 album (Not Led Zep, not The Who, not KISS....)

For a hard rock band to get FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW is the shitz

(and since the last time a guitar based band even charted at all in the Top 40 was 2009, it's safe to say that VH record will stand for all time).

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hard rock bands almost NEVER had a #1 album (Not Led Zep, not The Who, not KISS....)
    For a hard rock band to get FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW is the shitz
    (and since the last time a guitar based band even charted at all in the Top 40 was 2009, it's safe to say that VH record will stand for all time).

Sorry bub. VH with Sammy was NOT a hard rock band.

Soccer mom pop/rock.

Sabbath had a #1 album 5 years ago. Boom.

Priest had a top 10 album this year. Stop making up nonsense about 2009.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sabbath had a #1 album 5 years ago. Boom.

Priest had a top 10 album this year. Stop making up nonsense about 2009.

The big chart is the Billboard Top 200.

There are now a bunch of niche markets charts.

So having a #1 album in the Rock, Latin, R&B, Blues, Country, Dance, Alternative chart, is nowhere near having a real #1 in the Top 200

Many bands get a #1 in the rock chart with less than 15,000 units sold that week, so that's a super lame chart.

But even on the lame charts, how many bands can get FOUR #1 IN A ROW ???

-

Much more interesting is I saw that the Queen movie put the Queen Soundtrack on the real Billboard 200 a few weeks ago - their highest charting album in 40 years!!!!

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The big chart is the Billboard Top 200.
    There are now a bunch of niche markets charts.
    So having a #1 album in the Rock, Latin, R&B, Blues, Country, Dance, Alternative chart, is nowhere near having a real #1 in the Top 200
    Many bands get a #1 in the rock chart with less than 15,000 units sold that week, so that's a super lame chart.
    But even on the lame charts, how many bands can get FOUR #1 IN A ROW ???
    -
    Much more interesting is I saw that the Queen movie put the Queen Soundtrack on the real Billboard 200 a few weeks ago - their highest charting album in 40 years!!!!

Thanks for telling me a bunch of stuff I already know.

Sabbath had a #1 album on the “real billboard 200” chart in 2013.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/1568087/is-black-sabbaths-13-the-1000th-no-1-album

Priest had a top 5 album on the “real billboard 200” chart in 2018.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8251074/judas-priest-firepower-billboard-200-albums-chart

Queen rules.

Van Hagar is pop rock soccer mom slop.

I have no idea where you came up with the idea that “no guitar based band has been top 40 since 2009.”

Sabbath and priest aren’t enough guitar for you? Guitar-based bands make the top 40 every week.

#94 5 years ago

Eddie is doing special guitars right now to celebrate the 40th anniversary of VH .

You guys that like to put junk on top of your games, this would be perfect for a VH pin:

$8,000
    750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg

#95 5 years ago

Eh, I don't do toppers but for $8000 I would put a 11x17 picture. I could save $7999.50.

#96 5 years ago

I still think that the last 1 minute of Girl Gone Bad is some of the best stuff Eddie and Alex have ever done. That ending thou, Alex is on fire!

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Eh, I don't do toppers but for $8000 I would put a 11x17 picture. I could save $7999.50.

The funny part is, it that a real Frankenstrat could be built, out of real vintage parts, for about $1200

Get an old worn out Strat from the 70s, a Gibson PAF pickup, a couple of large Screw-Eyes for strap pins, and a Gibson logo for the headstock, and some rattlecan spray paint.

This would be a perfect reproduction.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Eddie is doing special guitars right now to celebrate the 40th anniversary of VH
    $8,000
    [quoted image]

Wow, what a cash grab.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/evh-78-eruption-electric-guitar/l30351000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWMWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAiA9qHhBRB2EiwA7poaeOHHt6ITAdxgV_y6l4V7Cx85e52BZkdxPH0_V5WOacWf_yTXaX9H5BoCOhwQAvD_BwE

Probably a $500 retail guitar.

Just amazes me that morons that will buy these cash grabs. Isn’t it obvious that’s what it is?

At the moment, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons are offering KISS fans the awesome opportunity to purchase a guitar that they have played for one song on stage.

They trot out on stage, play it for a song, and after the show you meet them and they hand you the guitar, and you’re whisked out ASAP.

The price tag for this awesome guitar?

If you want a cool cracked mirror one, played for a song ... $17,500.

https://paulstanleyguitars.com/product/一-2018-stage-played-or-meet-and-greet-cracked-mirror-guitar/

You can buy the $399 retail cheaper version guitar for the sweet deal of $5500.

And the amazing thing - the $17,500 ones are sold out.

There really are some
    A/ I have so much money I don’t care
    B/ fuckwits
    out there.

You can’t really blame the bands - if people are dumb enough to buy this stuff, why wouldn’t you take their money? You’d be stupid not to.

(Same applies to pinballs, obviously...).

rd

#99 5 years ago

Those guitars would look very nice displayed next to a Supreme pinball machine!

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Those guitars would look very nice displayed next to a Supreme pinball machine!

The real Supreme was only $2000....

supreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpgsupreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/van-halen-rumored-to-reunite/page/2?hl=budmanpinfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.