Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by AVH7401
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drake-rihanna-work-video (resized).png
    supreme-eric-clapton-jimi-hendrix-guitar-00003 (resized).jpg
    750-Erupt78BW_front (resized).jpg
    Ozzy-Osbourne (resized).jpg
    40e8fb4c64edc4386c260b1e44798839 (resized).jpg
    hagarRoth (resized).jpg
    Montrose-cover (resized).jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #2 5 years ago

Roth sounds horrible these days and this is the only thing (getting the original 4 back) that is going to drive ticket sales......and I am a fan of VH

#3 5 years ago

They weren’t very good in concert back in the ‘70s. Didn’t help that David Lee was drinking Jack Daniels on stage. Once, he stopped the song and said “f**k”. Band went on to another song that was unrecognizable. That was in Lakeland.

#4 5 years ago

The last tour was good-not-great - I saw them 3 times and Roth had 1 off night and 2 amazing ones. He doesn’t sing like he did when he was 19 (and if you read the Edie Kramer books, he didn’t actually sing like it back then either). They need Mike back though, and I am rooting for Eddie to be sober and a non-asshole. What I wouldn’t do for another album

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The last tour was good-not-great - I saw them 3 times and Roth had 1 off night and 2 amazing ones. He doesn’t sing like he did when he was 19 (and if you read the Edie Kramer books, he didn’t actually sing like it back then either). They need Mike back though, and I am rooting for Eddie to be sober and a non-asshole. What I wouldn’t do for another album

Post us some youtube clips of the "amazing" roth performances you witnessed in 2015 and I guarantee you will be embarrassed. I have no doubt you had a good time (the 10 beers probably helped) but he is beyond awful now.

It's not even a secret this is common knowledge. He's not "just being Roth" he's "bad...even for Roth!" which is horrifying.

It's not about "singing like he was 19," it's about singing the songs in a completely different, HIGHER key that he think he "discovered" 10 years ago when in fact he's never been able to sing that high and certainly can't now in his 60s. The results are a complete disgrace.

In 2007 he was singing great, approaching the songs in the correct way for his aging voice. Nobody knows what he's doing now, he's seemingly lost his mind along with his hair and his voice.

#6 5 years ago

Roth is the definition of tumultuous but these guys were my first concert ever. I am rooting for them.

#7 5 years ago

I have seen both versions a few times over the years.. VanHalen VanHagar, .. It would be a pipe dream to go to the concert and see both groups Sorta 50/50 each night.. Rotate on being the headliner so no one gets butt hurt every show,, I know a dream but things happen. Do it for the fans not the $$$$$$$$

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

I have seen both versions. VanHalen VanHagar, .. It would be a pipe dream to go to the concert and see both groups Sorta 50/50 each night.. Rotate on head lining so know one gets butt hurt every show,, I know a dream but things happen. Do it for the fans not the $$$$$$$$

Agreed. I actually enjoyed Sammy somewhat. I know I am in the minority though.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

They weren’t very good in concert back in the ‘70s. Didn’t help that David Lee was drinking Jack Daniels on stage. Once, he stopped the song and said “f**k”. Band went on to another song that was unrecognizable. That was in Lakeland.

One of the biggest disappointments I ever had buying music was a set of 8 cassettes of early-mid Roth era bootlegs which were both expensive and very hard to find (in pre-internet ‘90). Most of the shows were from ‘79-‘81, and although it is cool to hear live versions of some of the “deep” cuts off those first few albums, the band consistently sounded exactly like what you describe.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Post us some youtube clips of the "amazing" roth performances you witnessed in 2015 and I guarantee you will be embarrassed....

Sounds like he's hitting the lounge circuit.

#11 5 years ago

Roth was even worse than Robert Plant, when performing live.

This is 100% real:

#12 5 years ago

Pass

#13 5 years ago

How terrible, there is a time to quit and go out with dignity, Roth should just bow out.

#14 5 years ago

Once was enough for me. A year later my friends and I decided to go on a road trip. Van Halen in Lakeland, Pat Benatar in St. Petersburg the following night. I stayed at the motel while my friends learned it all over again. Van Halen didn’t put on a good show.
    What I do remember from the Pat Benatar show, was Led Zepplin “Whole lotta love” cranking before the show. What an awesome song played in that kinda environment.

#15 5 years ago

His stage act as a 19-20 old is not an act suited for and old man.

Maybe he should go back to Bluegrass.

Enjoy

#16 5 years ago

DLR said he copied his entire act from Jim Dandy, and JD's hair was real

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz_19 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

Still a no brainer for a pin IMO.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Enjoy

I just started cooking dinner but after listening to that, I have lost my desire to finish cooking it.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Enjoy

The original Jump was bad enough. Bluegrass Jump? OMG that's gonna give me nightmares tonight. Thanks for that.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Enjoy

That was painful to watch
    For some reason it reminded of an even older Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies infomercial. Don’t know why it is just how my mind works.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like he's hitting the lounge circuit.

That’s what’s known as “good for Roth.”

If you really want to see the true horror of 2015 look up any clip of dance the night away.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you really want to see the true horror of 2015 look up any clip of dance the night away.

Holy hell...wow.

It takes a lot to start in the 70s and still be able to pull it off today; Not every band can be The Cure.

#23 5 years ago

I'm sorry. My apologies, this is not VH related (doesn't sound like "VH Reunited" is being missed anyway) , but since it seems that I have captured your attention, here is your chance to hear "Johnny Cash" sing Folsum Pinball.

Happy Flipping. Get that Extra Ball.

#24 5 years ago

I don't know how you can call yourself puddles and not piss yourself at the end of the song.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Maybe we’re in the minority together.I saw Van Hagar in Evansville Indiana when Balance was released and they fucking kicked ass!!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s what’s known as “good for Roth.”

No need to narrow your search to 2015 for that song.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Quoted from romulusx:

Maybe we’re in the minority together.I saw Van Hagar in Evansville Indiana when Balance was released and they fucking kicked ass!!

I think every time a VH thread comes up Sammy gets a lot of respect; so I don't think it's that much of a minority. Certain(t)ly isn;t hard to pick which one you'd rather see after some of this links

#28 5 years ago

Sammy all the way! And yes I have seen both in concert.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think every time a VH thread comes up Sammy gets a lot of respect; so I don't think it's that much of a minority. Certain(t)ly isn;t hard to pick which one you'd rather see after some of this links

I like Sammy. He can play the guitar. He and I have so much in common. We can't drive 55 !

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Although the Sammy albums were totally gay, you do have to accept that they were the pinnacle of Corporate Rock.

ALL FOUR Sammy VH albums hit #1 on Billboard ----- -- obviously none of the DLR VH albums ever hit #1

#31 5 years ago

2013 tour in Buffalo NY. It was os bad we left early. For the price too. Brutal.

Saw them in 1983, Women and Children First tour. Tickets were $10. Great show from what I remember. Roth sounded horrible but nowhere as bad as in 2013. Why do we have to pay $100+ to see this? Should have paid us to watch. Reunion tours are usually cash grabs and nothing but a disappointment.

Queen is touring with Adam Lambert. John Deacon is not there. Can't imagine that being worth seeing.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I just started cooking dinner but after listening to that, I have lost my desire to finish cooking it.

Quoted from dothedoo:

The original Jump was bad enough. Bluegrass Jump? OMG that's gonna give me nightmares tonight. Thanks for that.

Quoted from High_End_Pins:

That was painful to watch
    For some reason it reminded of an even older Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies infomercial. Don’t know why it is just how my mind works.

Even after 3 solid warnings I still clicked on that video. Wish I had not

#33 5 years ago

Missed soo many concerts. Could of seen Queen in ‘77 or ‘78. Missed the Stone’s “Tattoo You” tour in 1981, actually had tickets to that one.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Roth was even worse than Robert Plant, when performing live

Plant was king, but when I saw him in his later years, I was disappointed. He didn't have the range, so it seemed like a bad imitation of himself.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Missed soo many concerts. Could of seen Queen in ‘77 or ‘78. Missed the Stone’s “Tattoo You” tour in 1981, actually had tickets to that one.

Tattoo you was my very first concert. Also saw the hammer to fall tour queen.

Also lets dance around that time. Bowie. Good memories. Nice to have seen these bands at least once.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Plant was king, but when I saw him in his later years, I was disappointed. He didn't have the range, so it seemed like a bad imitation of himself.

I never saw a good LZ show.

The Song Remains The Same movie with all the studio re-recorded overdubs, and 3 nights of performances to pick the best from, is still pretty weak

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Tattoo you was my very first concert. Also saw the hammer to fall tour queen.
    Also lets dance around that time. Bowie. Good memories. Nice to have seen these bands at least once.

I remember my mom and stepdad going to the Tattoo You Tour at the Pontiac Silverdome in December, 1981. I was only 7 so I couldn't go. But I'll always remember the discussion between them and their friends about whether or not this would be the last Stones tour because they were "getting old". Mick and Keith were both 38 at the time. But let's face it, they had the most longevity of any band at the time, so no one truly knew how long it could last.

#38 5 years ago

In case you were interested, here’s 2 1/2 hours of Old Diamond Dave dancing to the love train. ...........No, I’m serious.

#39 5 years ago

"ALL FOUR Sammy VH albums hit #1 on Billboard ----- -- obviously none of the DLR VH albums ever hit #1"

You do realize there wouldn't have BEEN a "Sammy" VH without Roth to help propel them there in the first place....they were one of the biggest bands in the world when Sammy joined...

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Minority here, as well...VH with was Sammy WAY better than DLR...saw them both several times....Eddie was always Eddie....is what it is...as far as PB.....I'm not a band pin guy (KISSLE fit for me as an exception)...just one pinsider......

#41 5 years ago

I am a huge VH fan. I like the Dave stuff the best, but really I listen for Eddie. I like the guitar style of the early stuff better (AC/DC Similar) There are a lot of bands that are terrible live but great on albums. I always judged bands on live performances when I was younger but as I have gotten older I appreciate it from both perspectives. A good front man has attitude. A great front man can do both (Album, Live). Better to have it than not to be able to listen to it at all. My greatest fear in music is all the archived guitar work we will never see from E. VH, Tony Iommi, Buckethead etc..... Those players have stuff that could be amazing riffs and great songs, but they could all be lost someday.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Although the Sammy albums were totally gay, you do have to accept that they were the pinnacle of Corporate Rock.
    ALL FOUR Sammy VH albums hit #1 on Billboard ----- -- obviously none of the DLR VH albums ever hit #1

Sammy was never quite as good after he left Montrose...and Ronnie wasn't too far from Eddie's zip code.

Montrose-cover (resized).jpgMontrose-cover (resized).jpg
    #43 5 years ago

Sometimes its just ok to retire. Pre 5150 Eddie had an edge his sound was unique... he started to slip a bit on 1984. Ego and drugs ... constantly accusing (maybe with merit) lead singers of being too egotistic (pot... kettle... black). Sammy was the best thing to happen to that band... for whatever reason he worked... then Eddie fucked it up. Been done with them for a looooooong time. Still enjoy the old stuff, some of the Sammy stuff periodically.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Sometimes its just ok to retire. Pre 5150 Eddie had an edge his sound was unique... he started to slip a bit on 1984. Ego and drugs ... constantly accusing (maybe with merit) lead singers of being too egotistic (pot... kettle... black). Sammy was the best thing to happen to that band... for whatever reason he worked... then Eddie fucked it up. Been done with them for a looooooong time. Still enjoy the old stuff, some of the Sammy stuff periodically.

Ditto, and truth...I like remembering/ listening to alot of these in original state...Sammy was legit

#45 5 years ago

Wouldnt be having a VH discussion w/o Hagars talent saving the legacy of that band.
    5150 a very solid album at the right time.
    I need to drink mas tequila because Sammy and Anthony were the smart ones who aged well.

#46 5 years ago

David Lee Roth / Charlie Sheen....almost the same?

#47 5 years ago

I saw Van Halen tour every album from Women and Children First through 1984. All we’re great live shows. Diver Down was the weakest because Alex was a little too blasted. It was still pretty darn good. Fair Warning tour was the best. I think that album is the band’s strongest effort in the studio as well. By the time Hagar joined up, I was kind of over it. They were going more pop while I was going more hard core. I like Sammy a lot, but i’d rather listen to Montrose, HSAS or Chickenfoot.

I have no interest in seeing a warmed over version of this band some thirty years later (nor a VH pin). Their time has come and passed, and that’s ok. Plus, the way they f’ed over Michael Anthony still grates.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I never saw a good LZ show.
    The Song Remains The Same movie with all the studio re-recorded overdubs, and 3 nights of performances to pick the best from, is still pretty weak

I thought Song Remains the Same was great,I remember I had a great buzz going and I love Zeppelin

#49 5 years ago

I will give EVH props for putting his Van Halen II Strat in Dimebag Darrell’s grave. That was a touching gesture from someone who is almost universally painted as an enormous d-bag.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You do realize there wouldn't have BEEN a "Sammy" VH without Roth to help propel them there in the first place....they were one of the biggest bands in the world when Sammy joined...

All that matters is that Sammy gave VH:

FOUR #1 ALBUMS IN A ROW

VH had no #1 albums before Sammy, and no #1 albums after.

-

Sammy knows how to do Pepsi sellin' arena rock with the same formula that sold millions of Montrose and Red Rocker discs.

hagarRoth (resized).jpghagarRoth (resized).jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/van-halen-rumored-to-reunite/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.