Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by FlippyD
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2157 (resized).JPG
    12_CAM00296 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3677 (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3671 (2) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3672 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3670 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail (resized).jpg
    DSC00590 (resized).JPG
    632FA6E9-020B-4CD3-ACCB-BD824EE3E88D (resized).jpeg
    1426B994-A53B-46CE-99D9-23DEE330BC35 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3653 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3660 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3651 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I have five pinball games that are signed . I wonder if the signatures add value to average games. I have a Wizard signed by Roger Daltrey,Pete Townshend ,and John Entwistle. No Keith Moon. The play field and signatures are nice and the game plays well. The cabinet is only a five or six. So lets just suppose the game is worth $1500. How much would signatures add to the value.
    same for the following.
    The same with a Ted Nugent signed by him and Kiss signed by Ace Frehley and Gene Simmons [ signatures not so great because the playfield is so busy ] , and a Captain Fantastic signed by Elton John. I also have a Black Knight 2000 signed by Steve Miller but as we all know it doesn't really match the theme.I had a Buccaneer signed by Jimmy Buffett but gave it to a man whom kept all the games in his airplane hanger for a long time.That was a fun situation but the jig is up. All play well, all cabinets are or 5 or 6 . Is there a better way to find out the interest in these signed games besides ebay?
    I was thinking signed games by the designers and artist were what people were interested in but someone told me that the rock&roll signatures could also be of interest to people.If it seems of interest I can post pictures.I do Kiss as an example.Do I try to find fans of the games or fans of the Rock Stars? Probably the short answer is they are only worth what someone will pay.Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

IMG_3651 (resized).jpgIMG_3651 (resized).jpgIMG_3653 (resized).jpgIMG_3653 (resized).jpgIMG_3660 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_3660 (1) (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

I've never seen anyone sign a playfield like that. I would subtract money, not add.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I've never seen anyone sign a playfield like that. I would subtract money, not add.

I would agree. epic fail. sign backglass, arch, or game card, but center of playfield ruins the game value.

#4 5 years ago

Agreed you should try and remove it, just totally devalues it in my opinion.

#5 5 years ago

I removed the autograph from the last game I bought that had one (it was Trudeau, so NOPE). The scribble adds nothing for me, unless it’s something I got myself to remind myself of the time I met said celeb.

#6 5 years ago

I had an awesome autographed playfield once, but after a bit of Novus, ...

#7 5 years ago

Here is the objective truth.

The band members autographed the wrong area, and the signatures are slowly disappearing with every ball plunge.
    Normally, the only way that autographs add any value is on the back glass, in an appropriate location where they can "seen but not heard". For example, I have MANY translites and backglasses signed by designers/artists, but it would apply to movie stars, rock stars, and sports athletes as well. Anywhere else, and people generally don't care, because they are not visible anyway. On the other hand, this is MUCH TOO VISIBLE.

Essentially sharpie shorthand, on a worn playfield, which is a serious negative no-no, and results in added subtraction of game value on the order of several hundred dollars. If the playfield was a freestanding wall hanger stripped to the bone, it might be worth a few extra dollars with actual verification. One this thing that has not been mentioned is certificates of authenticity. If you do not have them, the signatures must be verified, or its just a claim. Any serious buyer is going to ask this question when you put them up for sale.

Regardless, people for years have tried to tout and convince others, KISS as a great pinball machine, but only in the eyes of select fans, not discriminating pinball owners, who simply know there are many better games out there.

Best of Luck

#8 5 years ago

Thank you for your input. I never thought about the "flip" side of messing up the play field. I never thought I would loose my house and have to move or sell them either. Storing is not an option . It is not good for old games.. I guess I was wrapped up in getting them signed and keeping them. I used to have many more games and these are the on;y ones I kept. The signatures are protected although they seem to offend some of you.Obviously I am not in the same pinball league as some of you. I do appreciate the opinions and have come to the conclusion very quickly that I'll just give them to my nieces and nephews. They all have the room and there are 5 of them. I have kept the games running well so they can just play them.Thanks again Pinside people. I learned a lot fast.

#9 5 years ago

P.S. It is entirely my fault as I took the play field glass off and ask them to sign the play field. Again,I never intended to sell them. Silly me.

#10 5 years ago

If you are trying to sell these, you should target people who are more of a fan of the group then pinball people I would think. I am sure there is a KISS fan out there who would think its awesome it was signed like that. Maybe post in a KISS forum or something.

#11 5 years ago

Yeah....if you have proof of legit signatures it will help.

1426B994-A53B-46CE-99D9-23DEE330BC35 (resized).jpeg1426B994-A53B-46CE-99D9-23DEE330BC35 (resized).jpeg632FA6E9-020B-4CD3-ACCB-BD824EE3E88D (resized).jpeg632FA6E9-020B-4CD3-ACCB-BD824EE3E88D (resized).jpeg
    #12 5 years ago

My dialed In is worth millions. To me.

LTG : )

DSC00590 (resized).JPGDSC00590 (resized).JPG
    #13 5 years ago

Wouldn't add anything to me. If I were to do it I'd probably have them sign the backglass or perhaps just on transparency papers. That way you could cut them to size and put them over the instruction cards.

#14 5 years ago

I had Pat Lawlor sign my ES PF when I bought it from him. I kind of wish I hadn't.

#15 5 years ago

That Spaceman pic isn't Ace it's Eric Singer. That is who should have signed that game.

#16 5 years ago

I'm meeting up with Ace next week in Minneapolis and am going to bring along my KISS 79' backglass and have him sign it. I don't care if it adds value, just think it will look cool. I had Gilby Clarke sign my Guns N Roses custom scorecard and Bruce Kulick sign the scorecard on my Stern KISS. Just a a nice little touch. I was going to have Ted sign my Nugent backglass, but I sold the game before I could meet up in person.

#17 5 years ago

How do you just meet up with Ace?

#18 5 years ago

Doesn't add value. For some it detracts. For many where it is may detract. I have had a few signed games and never cared.

#19 5 years ago

Here is another one I guess I messed up.

thumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg
    #20 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

How do you just meet up with Ace?

There's a paid event around here. Pay $149 for a photo and signature.

#21 5 years ago

To some rock/pin fans, an autographed pinball machine definitely adds some value if done in a tasteful way.

The same goes for street rods. Every year guys clamor to car shows to have Paul LeMat, Candy Clark, Bo Hopkins, famous race car drivers, and any other hot rod-related celebrity out there sign the dash of their cars.

If you build a '32 Graffiti Coupe clone there's nothing better than having Paul LeMat sign the glove box door with a sharpie.

If I had a celebrity sign a pinball playfield though, I'd want it to be a nice one - not some blown out one. After it was signed I'd have it clear-coated for posterity. I'd love to have Ace sign my '79 Kiss machine. I'd probably have him sign the backglass with a silver sharpie though so it would stand out. To have all four original bandmembers sign the backglass would definitely add value to a Kiss machine for me.

The rock-themed pins are my favorites. They hold value that goes far beyond a pinball machine. They are actual pieces of rock history. Even people who don't necessarily like pinball love the rock-themed pins. Especially the Bally pins like Kiss and Rolling Stones when the bands were in their prime (or closer to it than they are today).

#22 5 years ago

Living celebrities don't typically add value unfortunately. I see it all the time in guitar sales. But once they're dead, these could be worth something. I say hang onto them!

#24 5 years ago

Really interested in how you got three members of The Who, and others, to sign your machines — most do the backglass just because you can haul it to the show a lot easier!

#25 5 years ago

Dude, whatever with these guys. I for one can appreciate it and it would mos def add value to me. If you can get matt groening to come by my house I'd be indebted.

#26 5 years ago

Depends on the rarity of the signature. Some guys sign all day long, others if ya can find a few floating around it’s something. Personally I’d prefer them not on the playfield though, the apron is great. Backglass is too easily broken, safer on the apron.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Dude, whatever with these guys. I for one can appreciate it and it would mos def add value to me. If you can get matt groening to come by my house I'd be indebted.

Right but wouldn’t the real value be that YOU had Matt Groening sign YOUR game and the experience attached to that, not that someone had him sign their game and you somehow ended up with it?

I don’t blame people who like getting stuff signed at all btw, it’s just not for me.

#28 5 years ago

Wasn’t there a signed Data East Signed Wars that sold for big bucks here on pinside?

#29 5 years ago

Similarly I have an original Kiss playfield signed by Ace....he stared at it and asked where do I sign....told him anywhere he wanted. Told me he had never signed one before LOL...I am sure there is lots he does not remember from back in the day.

Got Peter Criss to sign it as well and he did not remember ever signing one before.

Now mine is a restored original playfield...for a wall hanger.

Signed items are hard to value....it’s the subject matter, whose signature and how rare/desirable an item is. Tons of backglasses have been signed by Kiss over the years. Playfields...not many if any have all 4 signatures.

So for pricing establish a base price for the item alone then add what the signature is worth. If the item is rare and desirable it can add value.....pins are niche...rock memorabilia collectors are picky about condition and rarity of items. If it is in excellent condition, rare, and desirable top dollar can be asked.

Also the condition of the signature matters. Nice crisp preserved ones display better and can be worth more.......

#30 5 years ago

I saw a KISS pin with the 4 signatures on the plastics. Looked legit. Backglass is alway legit as well.

I signed my own machine tho, cuz I’m a mutha Fkn Bawwwse!

-Wolfemaan The Bawwwse!

#31 5 years ago

Here you go, $15K

losangeles.craigslist.org link

Let’s see how he does

#32 5 years ago

>Really interested in how you got three members of The Who, and others, to sign your machines — most do the backglass just because you can haul it to the show a lot easier!
    Short Answer :I used to work backstage for Bill Graham Presents in The Bay Area until I went out with the Stones. The Who gleefully signed the game backstage at The Oakland Coliseum.
    Long Answer:
    The signatures are better than my photography. I am also very amateur at all this. I did it just for me and was planning on keeping a long time and passing them down. I now know why people are so negative on messing up the play field.Sometimes things change,and life doesn't go as planned.I had over 60 games. I only kept the signed rock and roll ones. I was in a position to provide games of all sorts backstage for many concerts. On occasion I would plan it and do it. I did have a foosball signed by Eric Clapton and a Corvette by Tom Petty. I was just fooling around and being social and silly. I have some flyers signed as well for all the games mentioned. I figure if they will sign a pinball they would sign a flyer. Keith and Ron signed a few snooker table felts for me and Stones pinball flyers. Mick signs nothing or very little. Elton signs everything. It was fun. I'm retired. Nothing serious. I'll probably give them to my nieces and nephews . I got them in many shows . They are into it. They grew up on our music.

IMG_3670 (resized).jpgIMG_3670 (resized).jpgIMG_3671 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_3671 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_3672 (resized).jpgIMG_3672 (resized).jpgIMG_3677 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_3677 (2) (resized).jpg
    #33 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Here you go, $15K
    losangeles.craigslist.org link
    Let’s see how he does

He clearly had resale in mind. Good signatures in good places.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from jujubee:

>Really interested in how you got three members of The Who, and others, to sign your machines — most do the backglass just because you can haul it to the show a lot easier!
    Short Answer :I used to work backstage for Bill Graham Presents in The Bay Area until I went out with the Stones. The Who gleefully signed the game backstage at The Oakland Coliseum.
    Long Answer:
    The signatures are better than my photography. I am also very amateur at all this. I did it just for me and was planning on keeping a long time and passing them down. I now know why people are so negative on messing up the play field.Sometimes things change,and life doesn't go as planned.I had over 60 games. I only kept the signed rock and roll ones. I was in a position to provide games of all sorts backstage for many concerts. On occasion I would plan it and do it. I did have a foosball signed by Eric Clapton and a Corvette by Tom Petty. I was just fooling around and being social and silly. I have some flyers signed as well for all the games mentioned. I figure if they will sign a pinball they would sign a flyer. Keith and Ron signed a few snooker table felts for me and Stones pinball flyers. Mick signs nothing or very little. Elton signs everything. It was fun. I'm retired. Nothing serious. I'll probably give them to my nieces and nephews . I got them in many shows . They are into it. They grew up on our music.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool, the sentimental value of that is priceless.

#35 5 years ago

I think you should leave that one alone man, those signatures are at least legible and in ok spots. An a EM Wizzard in decent shape is worth $500-600, as your KISS would probably fetch double or even triple that.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from jujubee:

Long Answer:
    The signatures are better than my photography. I am also very amateur at all this. I did it just for me and was planning on keeping a long time and passing them down. I now know why people are so negative on messing up the play field.Sometimes things change,and life doesn't go as planned.I had over 60 games. I only kept the signed rock and roll ones. I was in a position to provide games of all sorts backstage for many concerts. On occasion I would plan it and do it. I did have a foosball signed by Eric Clapton and a Corvette by Tom Petty. I was just fooling around and being social and silly. I have some flyers signed as well for all the games mentioned. I figure if they will sign a pinball they would sign a flyer. Keith and Ron signed a few snooker table felts for me and Stones pinball flyers. Mick signs nothing or very little. Elton signs everything. It was fun. I'm retired. Nothing serious. I'll probably give them to my nieces and nephews . I got them in many shows . They are into it. They grew up on our music.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think its very cool. I'm sure someone mentioned this, but u might want to put mylar over those signatures so they don't wear off.

#37 5 years ago

My TAF came with a bunch of signatures on it but seller didn't factor that into the selling price thankfully. Also thankfully I sold my TOTAN with jpoop's signature on it before crap hit the fan with his company otherwise it would have probably de-valued my pin a bit

12_CAM00296 (resized).jpg12_CAM00296 (resized).jpgDSCF2157 (resized).JPGDSCF2157 (resized).JPG
    #39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Similarly I have an original Kiss playfield signed by Ace....he stared at it and asked where do I sign....told him anywhere he wanted. Told me he had never signed one before LOL...I am sure there is lots he does not remember from back in the day.
    Got Peter Criss to sign it as well and he did not remember ever signing one before.
    Now mine is a restored original playfield...for a wall hanger.
    Signed items are hard to value....it’s the subject matter, whose signature and how rare/desirable an item is. Tons of backglasses have been signed by Kiss over the years. Playfields...not many if any have all 4 signatures.
    So for pricing establish a base price for the item alone then add what the signature is worth. If the item is rare and desirable it can add value.....pins are niche...rock memorabilia collectors are picky about condition and rarity of items. If it is in excellent condition, rare, and desirable top dollar can be asked.
    Also the condition of the signature matters. Nice crisp preserved ones display better and can be worth more.......

I got to go backstage at a Kiss show in Houston during the last tour that included Ace and Peter and a guy had his Kiss machine there. They all signed the backglass and made a big deal about it. All of them seemed really nice and genuine. They all hammed it up and showed the people a good time. For $1000 a pop I would think they would though. I didn't pay that, I just stood at the door and bothered them till they let me in.

#40 5 years ago

George Gomez has the best signature in pinball. Looks great on LOTR LE.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-signed-games-?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.