4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jmountjoy111
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

right_side.jpg
    Side_art.jpg
    Translite.jpg
    playfield_good.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I have an AFM that I bought when I was stationed in Germany that I have brought it to New York. It has a dual voltage transformer and I converted it over to 120v. The game plays perfect with no changes in gameplay from Germany. I have heard people say from time to time that re-imports are not as desirable for some reason but no one really says why. I may be looking to sell my AFM in the near future to make room for other pins. Like I stated the AFM plays perfect and is in good condition I just want to get a fair price but don't want to hear your's is not worth much because it is from Germany if there is no real reason for it. Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Does it still have the euro coin door? that hurts the value

#3 4 years ago

The bottom-line is that condition rules all. Some die-hard collectors who are willing to spend a premium for very specific machines might care, but for the general collector population, I think it's a moot point. It's something that I always disclose when selling a machine just for informational purposes, but again, condition is king.

I think the main concern for reimports is the potential climate & handling abuse the machine could take being transported so far away. They were probably put in a container both there and back, which could risk humidity or moisture damage. Again, this is not the case for all machines which is why condition ultimately matters.

#4 4 years ago

Remember they all are built in the USA. How they are treated and kept clean in other countries as well as America shows. Some will have very strange and interesting hacks. My Judge Dredd was from overseas and had no fade no drill holes and great playfield.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from shelby1000:

I have heard people say from time to time that re-imports are not as desirable for some reason but no one really says why.

* When some buyers hear "import" they think it's been triple-stacked inside of a leaking, humid shipping container for months

* It's been touched by countless dirty foreigners

* The single-slot "ladybits" coin doors turn some people off

* Buyers will use any excuse to knock you down on your price

(I only subscribe to three of these theories.)

#6 4 years ago

Reimports have a bad name because european sellers sold their worst machines out overseas and buyers bought their unseen, only some vague pictures.
    Your game should have no devaluation if it's in the condition you claim.

#7 4 years ago

Condition condition condition is key to anything. Also if you put a domestic coin door on it no one cld really tell unless looking at manufacturer sticker.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Condition condition condition is key to anything. Also if you put a domestic coin door on it no one cld really tell unless looking at manufacturer sticker.

Totally agree.

#9 4 years ago

Ive came across alot of imports and owned many and they seem to all be in better condition than many domestic pins .

#10 4 years ago

My German IJ reimport is in great shape. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I also have a Cow Poke that did some service in London. Kind of fun to imagine it there in the 60s.

#11 4 years ago

If I had two comparable machines, priced the same. I would take the domestic every single time. So would most buyers IMO

I think on most titles its mostly a non-issue. For higher end titles or more desirable titles I think it's a pretty big stigma and you will have a smaller buyer pool. I have avoided re-import IJ's for this very reason. Justified or not.

#12 4 years ago

Some people hear re-import and attach a negative stigma to the game.

Memories of games stuck in damp shipping containers for weeks come to mind.

But it varies and, as has been said, depends on the specific machine. I've seen domestic games with some of the worst wiring hacks you could imagine.

But I've also seen reimports that look like they were almost fresh out of the box.

#13 4 years ago

at the very least add the price of a coin door and a service outlet and perhaps u.s. roms . it depends if they are straight off the boat or already in someones collection.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Astill:

at the very least add the price of a coin door and a service outlet and perhaps u.s. roms . it depends if they are straight off the boat or already in someones collection.

Coin door is purely aesthetic, and not required to operate a machine. Service outlet...also not required.
    ROMs...depends on the game.

The only "real" work is converting the voltage which depends on the game. It can range from swapping some jumpers to breaking out the soldering iron. Nothing that should detract from the value at all.

Most beautiful safecracker I've seen in my life came in from overseas. Had maybe a hundred plays on it.

#15 4 years ago

most people i sell game to want the coin mech to work , even if its set on free play , the large single slot doors cannot be made to work with quarters , the 3 slot ones are okay. Also i use my sevice outlets a lot , but im mainly working on older games.

#16 4 years ago

Condition is king and really all that matters.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

If I had two comparable machines, priced the same. I would take the domestic every single time.

And if the re-import is even slightly nicer I would take it. If the re-import is in identical condition but a lot closer to me....I would take it. (Assuming the pricing is the same also)

Both my STTNG and IJ are re-imports.....both play and look great. I actually think the foreign coin doors are kind of cool. My STTNG has three slots and the IJ has one......different than the "always two slots" US coin doors. Plus they are on freeplay 24/7 so who really cares about the dang coin door? Oh and one more thing....you can get a brand new coin door for $70-$100 if it really bothers you.

#17 4 years ago

I've seen bombed out domestic US games, and immaculate import games.

Where it comes from does not matter...only its current condition.

I have MANY import games in my collection. Have yet to have anyone walk away in disgust when visiting.

Pete

#18 4 years ago

Here in Australia, most games have been sourced in Europe

I like games from Germany, players have more respect for the machine
    An Australian delivered game will have the coin door kicked in, German imports, the door is still straight. Indeed, the cabinet is in better condition

#19 4 years ago

That fact that you're even asking proves that it's an issue for some. We can all think it's dumb, but as long as some people care, it's a factor. You never know how many less phone calls you are going to get when you go to sell because of it.

#20 4 years ago

Its all based on condition. This topic is laughable to me and pretty irritating. If its in great shape who cares and if you do not like the coin door then ask for $100 off and get another. I have owned and seen some really nice imports.

#21 4 years ago

So, some people mind it, some don't, condition is what matters?

Maybe we should make sure by rehashing it some more, the umpteen previous threads were insufficient...

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

So, some people mind it, some don't, condition is what matters?
    Maybe we should make sure by rehashing it some more, the umpteen previous threads were insufficient...

^^this^^
    There are some topics that never get resolved no matter how many times they come up. For the fun of it...What if it's a Judge Dredd reimport? Is it worth $1400 or $100 less because of the coin door?

#23 4 years ago

The container I imported from Germany had the nicest games I'd ever seen in it. Wish I had kept those. I still have the Demo Man and it's super mint.

The Germans really took good care of their games.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Have yet to have anyone walk away in disgust when visiting.

Only at my own playing!

At least three of my games are reimports. I don't care about that at all. The overall condition and playability are what matters.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Only at my own playing!
    At least three of my games are reimports. I don't care about that at all. The overall condition and playability are what matters.

Ditto.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from shelby1000:

I have an AFM that I bought when I was stationed in Germany that I have brought it to New York. It has a dual voltage transformer and I converted it over to 120v. The game plays perfect with no changes in gameplay from Germany. I have heard people say from time to time that re-imports are not as desirable for some reason but no one really says why. I may be looking to sell my AFM in the near future to make room for other pins. Like I stated the AFM plays perfect and is in good condition I just want to get a fair price but don't want to hear your's is not worth much because it is from Germany if there is no real reason for it. Thanks.

It's more a legacy topic but has some merit.. but less so really.

Back in the 90s.. the second hand market for buying games from operators was getting competitive.. especially for top titles.. while over in Europe there was a glut of games.. so it was popular to 'reimport' games from overseas where people would buy titles in bulk by the container. Due to surplus, currency, etc it was really advantageous to do so if you could handle the volume of games. The usual was they'd get stuck with a lot of beaters to get a few gems. It wasn't uncommon for games to be shipped or packed poorly, leading to rust, water damage, etc.

Because these guys were buying in bulk, generally sight unseen, they would have a surplus of these subpar games they had to unload. No one was doing HEP restorations, there was no CPR playfields, etc. These games would be pushed out cheap.. and the frequency/volume of these beaters dominated the perception of reimports. For every gem of a reimport, there were probably 5 subpar ones. This stigma persisted... that a reimport game may have more 'hidden' issues or were mistreated, etc.

So there was a general perception that reimports were of poorer condition.. and even if you dressed them up.. there could be skeletons in the closet due to the corrosion, etc. That impacted pricing and people's perceptions.

But as others have mentioned, condition is everything. Now a days, I'd imagine a reimport may still carry some stigma, but its far less important than condition/wear. If you were comparing identical condition games to buy.. the domestic would probably be more desirable (just one less demerit against the game), but in the era of appreciation we are in now, its not going to hold a good title down.. just blemish it a bit.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from shelby1000:

Finally! A Pinsider nearer to me than Syracuse!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

These games would be pushed out cheap.. and the frequency/volume of these beaters dominated the perception of reimports. For every gem of a reimport, there were probably 5 subpar ones.

I'm probably personally responsible for some of that - I brought in two containers from Argentina that were filled with beater crap, and sold it off cheap and quickly on RGP and took a lot of heat for it.

#29 4 years ago

I never put reimport on my ads and most buyers don't notice (I only sell local, cash and carry). Not sure why it would make a difference if it is a game you want and the condition is good. It's not like you are the one importing it and having to convert anything. Half the time I don't even notice till I get it home.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

I never put reimport on my ads and most buyers don't notice (I only sell local, cash and carry). Not sure why it would make a difference if it is a game you want and the condition is good. It's not like you are the one importing it and having to convert anything. Half the time I don't even notice till I get it home.

For the same reasons people care if a piece is a first run, second run.. A one owner or multiple owner car... Or if a game was routed vs HUO restored... Its just about the game's lineage and how much that matters in the eye of the beholder.

HUO in itself doesn't matter... but the community associates a value with it. Same with domestic vs reimport.. even if it's less of an impact anymore.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'm probably personally responsible for some of that - I brought in two containers from Argentina that were filled with beater crap, and sold it off cheap and quickly on RGP and took a lot of heat for it.

Trent made a living of it

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

The bottom-line is that condition rules all. Some die-hard collectors who are willing to spend a premium for very specific machines might care, but for the general collector population, I think it's a moot point. It's something that I always disclose when selling a machine just for informational purposes, but again, condition is king.

I wouldn't exactly say that, my LAH is an import that's in great shape that I have put new parts on and no one seems to want it because it has a funky coin door on it, even at $1600.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I wouldn't exactly say that, my LAH is an import that's in great shape that I have put new parts on and no one seems to want it because it has a funky coin door on it, even at $1600.

So swap the coin door for a domestic one. Is LAH really a $1600 pin?

#34 4 years ago

My DM was in Japan and is mint, probably because no one played it in Japan.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

So swap the coin door for a domestic one. Is LAH really a $1600 pin?

Sold mine for $2000 and it was a reimport. Reimports don't bother me at all. The more people that don't like them the better deal I will be getting. They all play the same right.

As for the question about judge dredd... $1400 is $1400. Regardless of the country you are in.

1 week later
    #36 4 years ago

13 years ago I bought my Getaway which was my 1st pin, this turned out to be a re-import, at the time I had no idea but I soon figured it out. Being a noob I made the big mistake and bought it on eBay for $1,500 delivered, sight unseen. Over the years I have replaced the coin door with a NOS WPC door, put in a Color DMD, rebuilt all the flippers, replaced the coils, upgraded all lamps to LEDs including the flashers, replaced the pop bumper caps with red starburst caps, installed a new WPC driver board, replaced the rom to a L2, replaced the Mars lamp motor, replaced a faulty magnet in the Super Charger and replaced the bad optics. The next things on my list is to add some post lighting mod and a mountain mod if I can ever find one again. Frankly at this point I'd say it's in better shape than many that I've seen, of course that's a biased statement, but considering the only real issue is cosmetic because of cabinet fade on the front of the machine. So, to the point, a re-import can be fine if you inspect the machine and depending on where you buy them, like a machine from a collection vs. a machine fresh off the boat, that would be a bigger factor in my mind and to the point about condition. Knowing what I know now, I would still buy a re-import but I would be much more selective…

playfield_good.jpg
    Translite.jpg
    Side_art.jpg

right_side.jpg

#37 4 years ago

If that getaway booted up I would have not blinked an eye giving $1500 for it. All of the things mentioned are just part of owning machines. I have $1500 for a domestic getaway in similar shape with fade on both sides

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.00
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside