• Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0622 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I just ordered a replacement hologram for my CFTBL. The old one is faded and kind of blue. I'm planning on selling it to help someone that might be missing their hologram all together. It is perfectly usable. I just wanted a brighter one.

What is it worth?

#2 5 years ago

It's garbage which is why you are replacing it. I just threw mine out.

I guess you could ask $50-100 for it and see if anybody bites? Blue, faded original holograms aren't rare nor sought after.

#3 5 years ago

Maybe I'll just leave it with the game then. Sounds worthless.

#4 5 years ago

Today’s trash is tomorrow’s treasure.

#5 5 years ago

I sold mine a few years ago when I replaced it with the Mike D mod. I was selling the whole assembly though and I think it went for a fair amount, it was also in good shape though.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I sold mine a few years ago when I replaced it with the Mike D mod. I was selling the whole assembly though and I think it went for a fair amount, it was also in good shape though.

I still have an uninstalled MikeD mod.
Ever wish you kept the original as a b/u?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just ordered a replacement hologram for my CFTBL. The old one is faded and kind of blue. I'm planning on selling it to help someone that might be missing their hologram all together. It is perfectly usable. I just wanted a brighter one.
What is it worth?

Where did you order it? Was unavailable everywhere last time I looked.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I still have an uninstalled MikeD mod. Ever wish you kept the original as a back-up?

Creature was my first pin. Mine was assembled in March 1993 and purchased by me in 1994. I enjoyed the hologram for twenty years and then changed to the MikeD mod. I carefully boxed up my hologram assembly and driver board in case I ever want to switch back (probably never will). I also have a brand new OEM hologram (still in the WMS packaging) which I ordered through American Vending over twenty years ago to have as a spare. I tend to keep everything.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I still have an uninstalled MikeD mod.
Ever wish you kept the original as a b/u?

The MikeD mod is awesome. I would never go back.

#10 5 years ago

No way. Pinball Dreams made a nice repro of original. Only way to go, if u can get. Fits the original theme perfect, why redesign (and change completely) a classic. My opinion only, after spending alot of time on a restoration.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

No way. Pinball Dreams made a nice repro of original. Only way to go, if u can get. Fits the original theme perfect, why redesign (and change completely) a classic. My opinion only, after spending alot of time on a restoration.

The Pinball Dreams remake doesn't look identical to the original - they used a different model. Still good, but could never be mistaken for an original. Keep the blue one, or sell it - someone will be willing to pay for it if they don't have one at all -

#12 5 years ago

I ordered it from planetary. Are they decent?

#13 5 years ago

Yep ordered one a few weeks ago from PPS. Its the reproduction one from Pinball Dreams. They are supposedly good. I just bought it for a spare. My original is still really good.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I ordered it from planetary. Are they decent?

They're good - just not original. Time will tell how long they last - hopefully a lot longer than the originals do!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Where did you order it? Was unavailable everywhere last time I looked.

I got mine 1 month ago from planetary . sit down b4 reading the price

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They're good - just not original. Time will tell how long they last - hopefully a lot longer than the originals do!

I guess its the next best thing to the original. Hopefully I'll get another 10 years out of my original.

#17 5 years ago

here are my two . the bottom one is just photo , not 3d .looks real enough , just doesn't "move" . got that b4 the real one available . on top , pinball dreams version . am selling bottom one , if interested , pm me

IMG_0622 (resized).JPGIMG_0622 (resized).JPG
#18 5 years ago

Well, I bought the gravure.
Looks perfect if the machine is ledded.

Hologram + normal bulbs = cftbl 1.0
Gravure + leds = cftbl 2.0

Sure the TFT mod is nice, but it was not designed that way.

https://www.etsy.com/nl/OttoAutomation/listing/673111279/led-edge-lit-gravure-retrofit-voor?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1546883015412

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunske:

Well, I bought the gravure.
Looks perfect if the machine is ledded.
Hologram + normal bulbs = cftbl 1.0
Gravure + leds = cftbl 2.0
Sure the TFT mod is nice, but it was not designed that way.
https://www.etsy.com/nl/OttoAutomation/listing/673111279/led-edge-lit-gravure-retrofit-voor?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1546883015412

Thx for the link Gunske . Ordered! Whilst I know it’s not original it looks pretty cool. My game is players condition and I’m not sure it’s a long term keeper, so spending Usd $350 plus freight on the pps one would be over capitalising.

This one will at the very least be better than a blank black window all the time.

#20 5 years ago

last year i opened one of the original repros, i forgot who did it , but it had turned into a blue sheet, it had been carefully hoarded for a decade.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

last year i opened one of the original repros, i forgot who did it , but it had turned into a blue sheet, it had been carefully hoarded for a decade.

Yep.. it seems to be some sort of chemical reaction, I don’t think anybody knows if it was light (as was the assumption) or heat, moisture, or what. Some are totally fine, some are blue, some are black

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yep.. it seems to be some sort of chemical reaction, I don’t think anybody knows if it was light (as was the assumption) or heat, moisture, or what. Some are totally fine, some are blue, some are black

We talking the IPB repros?

I thought they liked to turn red!

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We talking the IPB repros?
I thought they liked to turn red!

I meant originals - man, we have every color now!

#24 5 years ago

The original hologram has a lot more detail on the creature. Mine is a bluey green shade.

#25 5 years ago

Has anyone heard of the Planetary Repos going blue yet?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Has anyone heard of the Planetary Repos going blue yet?

Nah they are rock solid so far.

#27 5 years ago

Mine is coming this week. I'll snap some side my side photos. I need to get a new bulb. Someone installed a green LED.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Mine is coming this week. I'll snap some side my side photos. I need to get a new bulb. Someone installed a green LED.

are you saying the green LED isn’t good? The regular LED with the halogen mod - shroud- is best

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

are you saying the green LED isn’t good? The regular LED with the halogen mod - shroud- is best

I'ts fine I just want to take an accurate pic.

#30 5 years ago

Well bad news. I received the hologram today and I won't be able to snap pictures of it. I held it up to the light and I'm disappointed by how off it looks compared to the original. I didn't even install it and popped it back in the box to ship back. Definitely lacks adequate detail.

#31 5 years ago

yep, it's all in the face, the original had amazing detail on the face compared to the repro. And not cheap. When nothing else is available I use them but I'm not happy about it.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

yep, it's all in the face, the original had amazing detail on the face compared to the repro. And not cheap. When nothing else is available I use them but I'm not happy about it.

I was honestly floored by it because of the price. It's better than nothing but man seems like it wouldn't have taken much more effort to make it look like the original. Oh well. Blue and detailed is going to be ok for me.

#33 5 years ago

I put a yellow piece of plastic over the pinbits bulb I installed in the creature cabinet spot light. As they say every thing you need in life you learn in Kindergarten. Yellow plus Blue makes green. By creating a yellow light beam that reflected on my blue creature, it greened up nicely. I got the yellow piece of plastic from Pam at Pinbits. Maybe cost a dollar. I made a post about it about 4 years ago. My creature looks much better then what. I posted in the pics as I recall.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I was honestly floored by it because of the price. It's better than nothing but man seems like it wouldn't have taken much more effort to make it look like the original. Oh well. Blue and detailed is going to be ok for me.

Sorry dude. I made the same choice. Amazing to me they were able to do this back then at such detail but the technique seems to be lost!

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I put a yellow piece of plastic over the pinbits bulb I installed in the creature cabinet spot light. As they say every thing you need in life you learn in Kindergarten. Yellow plus Blue makes green. By creating a yellow light beam that reflected on my blue creature, it greened up nicely. I got the yellow piece of plastic from Pam at Pinbits. Maybe cost a dollar. I made a post about it about 4 years ago. My creature looks much better then what. I posted in the pics as I recall.

This is the best post I’ve read today! One dollar for a piece of plastic versus $300+ for a low resolution hologram. I’ll take the dollar option!

2 months later
#36 4 years ago

I founds my original motor for my hologram while cleaning up the house this past week, not sure if it is a needed part for anyone but let me know if someone needs it.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I founds my original motor for my hologram while cleaning up the house this past week, not sure if it is a needed part for anyone but let me know if someone needs it.

Those are completely unobtainium - you should save that thing!!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Those are completely unobtainium - you should save that thing!!

In that case willing to trade for other unobtanium things haha. I had no idea. It has just been sitting out in my garage for a few years that isn't climate controlled so probably not the best but if it can help someone then thats cool.

#39 4 years ago

what parts ya need for trade?

Quoted from Tsskinne:

In that case willing to trade for other unobtanium things haha. I had no idea. It has just been sitting out in my garage for a few years that isn't climate controlled so probably not the best but if it can help someone then thats cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.00
$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-original-creature-hologram?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.