(Topic ID: 20542)

Value of NIB Orbitor?

By MrWizzo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have come across a NIB Orbitor.

Would the game have been boxed with batteries installed? I have never bought a NIB pin, so I have no experience.

Any guesses as to fair value? I think the seller is in a bit of a conundrum with the game. Something that old NIB, I would want to see its condition first out of the box, and then it no longer is NIB. Correct?

Dan

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Would the game have been boxed with batteries installed?

Most Likely.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Any guesses as to fair value? I think the seller is in a bit of a conundrum with the game. Something that old NIB, I would want to see its condition first out of the box, and then it no longer is NIB. Correct?

Its kind of a gamble. Although the difference between NIB and HUO 2 plays probably wouldn't bankrupt you.

#3 11 years ago

If you have to pull it out of the box (which I suggest you do).

Take a lot of pics with date (current newspaper) etc.

This way you have a little proof etc for down the road

#4 11 years ago

Orbitor .....as in the playfield that looks like the moon? Wow, what an exciting find to see NIB. The last used one I saw for sale (I think it was a few years ago) was in the mid 1k area. I could not even imagine what the price would be on this NIB (not implying its super high, but I would have no idea what to price it at). It has the cool factor too

#5 11 years ago

Very cool. Orbitor 1 is a crazy game. No idea value as that is a pretty rare find. If I were you I'd offer 2k, if I was him I would put it on EBay.

#6 11 years ago

It will have batteries in it.
LTG

#7 11 years ago

Cool looking game, but really not much to it, not much to shoot for -- you just flail around at the ball, there's no way to have any ball control.

#8 11 years ago

Watched the YouTube review on it a few days ago. Not much value in a home, but apparently great for drunk people at bars. Buy it and route it.

Just kidding naturally. NiB version of that game should be in a museum.

#9 11 years ago

I seem to remember a youtube vid where a guy unboxed a very old machine and it needed a ton on love.Things were rusty and yellowed and dry. It needed to be shoped +. Ill look for it.

#10 11 years ago

i would offer no more than 2k. These games are not really beat up anyway. the few I have seen were all in very very good shape and un-restored. It is a neat game though, and one i would like to have.

#11 11 years ago

Wizzo.. buddy... I may have less good words to say about O1 than creech

Have you played one? It's a cool idea, but like most say, a solid 5 minutes with one is all you'll ever need. NIB anything is still cool though. Good luck!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Cool looking game, but really not much to it, not much to shoot for -- you just flail around at the ball, there's no way to have any ball control.

No, that's really not true. I'm not going to argue it's a great game or anything, but you definitely have some control over the ball in it. You need to complete adjust how you play to get decent at it, and it sort of screws you up for when you go back to anything normal.

It's definitely more of a novelty piece than anything else, but if you have a big collection, novelty pieces can be cool. I've got one, and I have no intentions of selling it. Having said that, I would NOT open it. I would expect for it being NIB you can get somewhere between $2500-$4000 for it, and if you really want an O1 but want to see condition first, buy one elsewhere and let someone who wants this one as is get it as is. I can tell you what it's condition is going to be like -- immaculate, other than an MPU that will probably need to be straight up replaced due to battery leakage.

#13 11 years ago

GL, Wizzo! You've got a rare find on your hands!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

No, that's really not true. I'm not going to argue it's a great game or anything, but you definitely have some control over the ball in it.

How is there any ball control when there's no way to trap the ball and hold it?

Yea, you can figure out how to shoot the ball in certain directions, but there is no actual "control" of the ball. You can't stop the ball; you can't pass from one flipper to another. You just flail at it in motion.

Unless I'm missing something? How can you stop the ball and set up a shot?

Although I agree, it's a nice trophy is a large-sized collection. I'd want one just for the novelty factor, but I also like anything odd when it comes to pinball designs. In a small collection, it would probably be a waste though.

#15 11 years ago

I did see a year or so ago an unboxing video where there were batteries that did not leak, and I want to say (although don't quote me) that they were old school Carbon Batteries.

Just plan on needing an new CPU board anyway.

Cool find BTW, I would have gave $2500 without a second thought.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Unless I'm missing something? How can you stop the ball and set up a shot?

It would be way easier to show you, but I don't have any easy way to do that, so I'll try my best to explain it...

The game is ALL about drop catch control, bounce passes and waiting patiently to know when to flip. The way that the, uh, bowl (playfield) is set up, you need to figure out what balls will safely bounce off one flipper to the other, and how to arrange those flippers so that you can best get the ball under control. You need to do a lot of adjusting to how differently things pass, and with the bowl set up like it is, you can do otherwise totally impossible passes like passing it over the right flipper, flipping the right flipper up and holding it so the ball goes back underneath it and settles on top of the left flipper.

It's a trip, but I guarantee you that it can be done. I can relatively consistently hit things on my machine when I've put a few games on it to get used to it, but then like I said if I go back to anything else, it takes a few games before I feel like I have any of my skills back.

Oh yeah, and the shots are really interesting too, because you have to figure out how to bank them on a non-flat surface around those spinning bumpers and into the drop targets in the back. Again, it takes a while to figure out where to actually aim your shot to get the result you want. It takes a lot of trial and error, but you can actually get there.

There is a definite luck factor with Orbitor that I won't deny at all, but you can definitely figure it out and gain control of it when you play it enough.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

How is there any ball control when there's no way to trap the ball and hold it?

You can do a drop catch, and as it rolls down the flipper, aim it at what you want to hit, taking into account the curved surface of course... or if the ball is rolling over the flipper (either forwards or backwards) you can, of course, time the shot to aim at stuff again... After a few plays (OK, about 50!) I got the hang of aiming and reading the playfield well enough to hit specific targets at the back when shooting the ball between the two spinners.

Quoted from goatdan:

The game is ALL about drop catch control, bounce passes and waiting patiently to know when to flip.

Exactly!

Quoted from goatdan:

you can definitely figure it out and gain control of it when you play it enough.

Exactly again!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It will have batteries in it.
LTG

Or more correctly, all over it

#19 11 years ago

I played Dan's at MGC and it is a really fun game. I think it would fit fine in a collection of 6 or more.

JMHO.

I would love to get some real time on one to 'learn' it better.

I saw a guy at MGC just completely own the machine. He had super skillz!

He had the most astonishing control and played for like 15 min on a sigle ball while most people played for less than 3 min on all 3 balls.

#20 11 years ago

Probably need some board work if that age and batteries were not pulled before storage.
But wow what a rare find.

#21 11 years ago

I took some original batteries (2 D's and not rechargeable) out of a light inside the controls panel of a 1983-84 Mazak CNC machine. The light had never been turned on and the batteries were just like new. So it's possible that they are fine. They had no charge though

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wizzo.. buddy... I may have less good words to say about O1 than creech
Have you played one? It's a cool idea, but like most say, a solid 5 minutes with one is all you'll ever need. NIB anything is still cool though. Good luck!

Still resisting conversion? Sorry to hear that. What other games do you hate? I will use that list to rebuild my collection.

I have played one before. Just toying with the idea since it is a rare find. More pursuing a F-14.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Or more correctly, all over it []

At least the backglass won't be flaked!!

It all depends of it's been stored dry all those years, or if it's suffered a period of high humidty storage... Humidty trapped in a card box would, I imagine, have a very bad effect on the wood (cab and head mainly since the important part of the playfield is plastic...). Probably the least risky game from this era to gamble on it being still good NIB for 3 reasons:

1) Tha cab and head art are crap, very easy to touch up if flaked.
2) The artwork on the backglass is on plastic, much less lileky to flake than on glass.
3) The playfield art is also on plastic, and therefore less likely to suffer from any high humidity than if it was on wood.

#24 11 years ago

Hmmm I didn't think about drop catches... that would look pretty impressive on that machine.

#25 11 years ago

One thing nobody mentioned: the spinning rubber bumpers are likely dried out. And those are simply not to be found anywhere You'd have to make your own, somehow.

That said, I personally would pay $2k for an O1 NIB, condition unseen.

#26 11 years ago

Any pictures?

#27 11 years ago

I hope to see it this weekend, but I am not planning on opening it. Would pics of the box be helpful?

Dan

#28 11 years ago

hey I buy it still sealed in box and give you 4k

Buddy

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I imagine, have a very bad effect on the wood

The wood is already warped.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

One thing nobody mentioned: the spinning rubber bumpers are likely dried out. And those are simply not to be found anywhere You'd have to make your own, somehow.

Why would they dry out over a game that's not NIB? I have this game and it's just as old as the NIB game the OP's talking about and the rubber bumpers are perfectly OK... at least they were when I last had the game set up... 10 years ago...

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I hope to see it this weekend, but I am not planning on opening it. Would pics of the box be helpful?

All I'd say is, if the box looks like it hasn't been wet/damp at any point, then that's as good as you can hope for...

You do realise that by bying it and opening it, you'll reduce it's value

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Hmmm I didn't think about drop catches... that would look pretty impressive on that machine.

Just to add in, most of the time when it goes around the back of the flipper you can hold the flipper up and it'll roll to the front for a controlled shot. Most people get afraid of the drain and don't think of this

Very weird game but when you adjust how you play, like others said, it's a blast. Thanks again for bringing yours to MGC, Dan!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

All I'd say is, if the box looks like it hasn't been wet/damp at any point, then that's as good as you can hope for...
You do realise that by bying it and opening it, you'll reduce it's value

Yes, i do. Thanks.

Dan

#34 11 years ago

MrWizzo,

Please keep us posted! I'm sure everyone on the site is excited to see a NIB machine from the '80s!

#35 11 years ago

I bet on a game that old, even NIB, the playfield will be totally warped out of shape.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Still resisting conversion? Sorry to hear that. What other games do you hate? I will use that list to rebuild my collection.
I have played one before. Just toying with the idea since it is a rare find. More pursuing a F-14.

I've told you, our machines are very similar, you don't need to change a thing (well maybe one )

What's the state of the F14? That is one of my favs, go for that!

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I bet on a game that old, even NIB, the playfield will be totally warped out of shape.

After that many years, I'm sure the playfield will be warped and cupped.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from ARTMAN:

Thanks again for bringing yours to MGC, Dan!

No problem! I literally picked it up ONLY to bring it to the show, and now I like it enough that it won't go anywhere for a while.

I need a bigger house or at least a bigger basement to set up more of my stuff though. All this talk makes me want to play it, and it can't be set up right now

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

I'm sure everyone on the site is excited to see a NIB machine from the '80s! []

I'm sure not everyone on this site will be excited to see a NIB 80's game... some folk are only interested if the game displays the score using a matrix of dots, any other score display method means the game is irrelevant

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've told you, our machines are very similar, you don't need to change a thing (well maybe one )
What's the state of the F14? That is one of my favs, go for that!

AB:

Still seeking. VID1900 is in my corner, so I am almost guaranteed one of the nicest and fastest possible. The recent pictures of his work are phenomenal! Plus, he seems to know the game really well and how to make it play like it should. Trying to change up the mix a bit.

Dan

#41 11 years ago

I'd almost be surprised if the batteries have leaked, my understanding is the leakage on the type of rechargeable batteries that Stern and Bally used on these boards is from them being charged and discharged repeatedly, then when left for a long time they leak, obviously not the case with a NIB

Orbitor is an awesome novelty game to have in a good sized collection, nothing beats seeing people play it for the first time, the reactions are priceless!!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dan

Yep that would be great cheers.

#43 11 years ago

OK, class, let's review...

...when is a NIB not a NIB?

...when there is no box.

I spoke with the owner today, who bought it NIB about five years ago to display in the showroom in his warehouse.

He is to send me some pics.

Well, no NIB opening party, but maybe a blanket party instead.

Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.

Dan

#44 11 years ago

+2 for blanket party.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

+2 for blanket party.

May all adopt the countenance of your avatar in gazing upon him for the remainder of his days!

Dan

#46 11 years ago

I will sell you a NIB F14 for $5000. You don't want to open the box though because you would lose all that value. (and also find that the box is full of bricks)

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I spoke with the owner today, who bought it NIB about five years ago to display in the showroom in his warehouse.

Next he should say, "It lights up but won't start a game--probably a fuse"

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Trastion:

I will sell you a NIB F14 for $5000. You don't want to open the box though because you would lose all that value. (and also find that the box is full of bricks)

Hmm....

Quoted from PinballHelp:

Next he should say, "It lights up but won't start a game--probably a fuse"

Alright, everyone just calm down!

I am going to try and make a trip up there sometime anyway.

Dan

#49 11 years ago

Let us know how it turns out! A recently-unboxed HUO (or display-only) Orbitor 1 is still pretty sweett!

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Well, no NIB opening party, but maybe a blanket party instead.

The good news is that you're no longer obliged to pay NIB price, and you get the added bonus of seeing what state it's in... unless you wanted it NIB to keep NIB... So do you know if the game works?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 125.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-nib-orbitor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.