(Topic ID: 252879)

Value of machines with HARDTOP installed?

By too-many-pins

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Value of machines with HARDTOP installed?”

• Machine with a hardtop is worth about the same as a machine with a nice used playfield 54 votes
      21%
    • Machine with a hardtop is worth less than a nice used playfield. 58 votes
      22%
    • Machine with a hardtop is worth $200 more than a machine with a nice used playfield (basically just the cost of the hardtop) 37 votes
      14%
    • Machine with a hardtop is worth $500 more than a machine with a nice used playfield (cost + labor to install)) 35 votes
      13%
    • I wouldn't want a machine with a hardtop 51 votes
      20%
    • I love hardtops and wish all my machines had them 12 votes
      5%
    • You ask too many stupid questions 13 votes
      5%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

68244095_10216957802591474_2477763871398428672_n (resized).jpg
    88887C76-B59F-42BF-9C7D-A82C9C7C67D8 (resized).jpeg
    262C4092-1A68-454F-BDEF-C04504EAC3C3 (resized).jpeg
    77F277D8-455E-4614-9D0B-36C911A4F70A (resized).jpeg
    CB42FBBF-19B7-46DC-9351-B188EA302361 (resized).jpeg
    00B7F503-B4D0-47FA-BA79-733FCCB3D675 (resized).jpeg
    20D460D0-ADAD-4A84-8274-09F7C4D098D6 (resized).jpeg
    CADF5B7C-F346-44BE-8C92-CBCE276672AD (resized).jpeg
    vid1900-1.jpg
    8D592F7E-A136-4509-9D89-7477D03E3772 (resized).jpeg
    66BE0AD6-F538-49FB-A924-810BF28A5AE5 (resized).jpeg
    4A0C5ABB-23A5-446F-BC0E-B168E6FC5F73 (resized).jpeg
    A3C9E2E8-6AFF-42F9-AD01-1593F87BDAB6 (resized).jpeg
    C1C0B872-8090-4E77-98F7-74F399BFA8B7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4915 (resized).JPG
    20190714_155522 (resized).jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Did you want a station wagon?

Umm... yea!

262C4092-1A68-454F-BDEF-C04504EAC3C3 (resized).jpeg262C4092-1A68-454F-BDEF-C04504EAC3C3 (resized).jpeg
    #152 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

30+ year old plastic Spanish playfields all seem to have held up great.

Yeah...but how many games on them? It's not like a Williams game which may have had 20k plays on location. In home use, of course, you're right...because it'll be the same.

Quoted from cjchand:

If you manage to let it wear through the 30mils of PETG before it touches the art, then you’d have a poorly playing pin, anyway Best to just get a new playfield at that point.

Yes, but people are stupid, and do stupid things. (And frankly, I barely trust myself to install a Hardtop without f'ing up the backside of it and losing some art LOL) You don't find games at budget prices that were well taken care of, and I'm a project person. I'm concerned with what THEY'RE doing, not with what I'd do, because...well.... yeah. I've rarely ever sold a game that played like crap, and when I did, the price was certainly fair. If I didn't lose money, I can promise you I only broke even. Then again, I'm pretty sure most of our local community knows I'm not the snap-rag type, but I also don't want to end up buying (theoretically) a hardtop that's damaged enough that I'd want to replace it, as I'm sure they did their research and that adhesive is designed to hold on. Put that over a 30-50 year old piece of plywood......

I dunno. You tell me hardtop guy. Say in the case it ultimately got cracked, or too cloudy to polish out....can you pull a hardtop off a playfield without also pulling old brittle wood with it?

Quoted from mrm_4:

This is @fattdirks game at Madcap brew co in Kent. Hardtop was installed almost 3 years ago. Has easily 10,000 games on it. This poor game gets the shit played out of it and still looks brand new.

This is exactly what I was hoping someone had. Actual evidence. This is a good example of how these things will hold up over time under heavy use, but well-maintained. Thanks for posting that!

*Edit* I think some people, including OutsideEdge...... are mischaracterizing, or at least misunderstanding, my sentiments here. I said that I have every intention of buying a hardtop for Future Spa, and would consider it for other games that are NLA or unlikely to get run as a full playfield. Cyclone would be an immediate purchase for me for a Hardtop. Bad Cats also. Given the option, *I* personally want a full playfield though.

And yeah, as someone said above, CPR playfield swaps can be a pain. I did a lot of fiddling with Space Shuttle, because the dimples weren't necessarily obvious, and I didn't have a big punch-map paper from my old playfield...it was my first swap. But....that's just par for the course. Playfield production isn't an exact science, it's an art, and art has variations. It's all about how much dedication you're willing to put into your work, and personally....if I have to spend a few more hours on a swap to have things line up correctly...so be it. But I'm doing the work for myself FIRST, and for resale LAST, and I've never done a PF swap for anyone else or for the sole intention of trying to get more money. I leave that to the people with more money and space.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I dunno. You tell me hardtop guy. Say in the case it ultimately got cracked, or too cloudy to polish out....can you pull a hardtop off a playfield without also pulling old brittle wood with it?

It’s pretty clearly stated on their site that this is a one-way process. There is no removing it. From their FAQ:

“Is the adhesive strong?
    Yes, very. After several rounds of development with 3M, we landed on an adhesive so strong that if you try to pull off the Hardtop, it brings wood with it. Nothing is forever, but we've done our best to make this as close to a permanent solution as we could get.”

That said, the concerns you have are pretty unlikely. I can’t reasonably see how this would get cracked and people with Hardtops - including that 20k play Space Shuttle - report no visible wear, period.

On a related note, I did lightly gouge a section under the apron and was able to get it to a nearly new state with a single Novus 3-2-1 pass. Not the same thing as clouding, but I’m highly confident that if there ever was wear visible on it, I could polish it back up simply from watching it go from hazy after Novus 3 to clear again.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah...but how many games on them? It's not like a Williams game which may have had 20k plays on location. In home use, of course, you're right...because it'll be the same.

Not sure why you would assume home use only. I've been looking for the "right" Jolly Park for quite a while now. Have seen a number of them with lots of broken parts, beat up cabs, etc. But every single playfield I've seen still looks great. Not to mention that was technology from 20 years ago. Hopefully the Hardtops are as good or better.

I get that they're not for everyone. But they are making a lot of machines look and play a whole lot better.

As for the value increase/decrease, opinions don't really matter. Only sale prices do. So far the ones sold would indicate they add a good amount above the cost. When you factor in time to install, obviously that changes things.

#155 4 years ago

Hopefully was can all agree this guy is a good candidate for a Hardtop

88887C76-B59F-42BF-9C7D-A82C9C7C67D8 (resized).jpeg88887C76-B59F-42BF-9C7D-A82C9C7C67D8 (resized).jpeg
    #156 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjchand:

Hopefully was can all agree this guy is a good candidate for a Hardtop [quoted image]

That could easily be touched up and cleared, come on man, ensure it holds it's value don't take the easy way out!

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Not sure why you would assume home use only.

Because I've literally never, ever seen a Sonic / Zacc on route, nor do I ever expect that I will, because I live in DALLAS, not in Seattle or Chicago, or the NE. If you're putting a Jolly Park on route, good on ya! It was a statement about the future of the machine...not the past.

Quoted from cjchand:

On a related note, I did lightly gouge a section under the apron and was able to get it to a nearly new state with a single Novus 3-2-1 pass. Not the same thing as clouding, but I’m highly confident that if there ever was wear visible on it, I could polish it back up simply from watching it go from hazy after Novus 3 to clear again.

LOL...that sounds like something I would've done. Nice.

#158 4 years ago

If a playfield has heavy wear or is shot I think a hard top certainly increases value. Would it increase the value as much as a CPR playfield swapped in? No, not anywhere close.

#159 4 years ago

well i think i will dive in here....first i have to stand up for CPR. they put a lot of blood sweat and tears into their playfields. my centaur came out primo....the wood was top notch and I couldn't be happier. I do think that with the change to digital one off printing, while it solves a lot of problems, there is that old school work that in my opinion gives such value to a CPR playfield. Having said that, hardtops make things easier and bring the price and difficulty down for the average user. I think many many pins will ride again thanks to the hard top solution. nothing sells a pin faster than when it looks and plays great! I am a pinball fan......I want to see those old machines get restored and thanks to all who do this!

68244095_10216957802591474_2477763871398428672_n (resized).jpg68244095_10216957802591474_2477763871398428672_n (resized).jpg
    2 years later
    #160 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

This is the space shuttle that made me believe in hardtops increasing value. This is @fattdirks game at Madcap brew co in Kent. Hardtop was installed almost 3 years ago. Has easily 10,000 games on it. This poor game gets the shit played out of it and still looks brand new.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not too shabby! Looks like a viable option for locations.

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-machines-with-hardtop-installed/page/4?hl=startek2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.