SAM_0539 (resized).JPG
SAM_0540 (resized).JPG
SAM_0537 (resized).JPG
SAM_0538 (resized).JPG
SAM_0536 (resized).JPG
SAM_0535 (resized).JPG
SAM_0533 (resized).JPG
SAM_0534 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 7 years ago

I've never seen an HUO game that looks that rough. I don't see how it can possibly be HUO with that cabinet.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

HOU has no relation to actual game condition, although it is usually implied to be very good or mint condition. A game can be Home-Use-Only, but still be in terrible condition if it is neglected and not maintained properly.

People say that all the time, but that's not true in my experience. I've seen dozens of HUO games of various vintage (dating back to EMs) and I've NEVER seen an HUO game with a cabinet that rough. I'm trying to imagine the circumstances in home use that would result in that kind of cabinet wear.

You wanna field that one? They just dragged it around the backyard for fun? Had kids parties where they chalked up the cabinet? A family dog that liked to climb up on a shelf next to the game and rub his ass on the side of the head for 10 years?

Not seeing it dude. We aren't talking about a dirty playfield or cracked plastics. Exactly how would one "properly maintain" a cabinet in Home Use so it doesn't look like it was location for 10 years? Because that's exactly what that cabinet looks like. Probably because it was on location for 10 years.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

cabs get dinged pretty easy. I have seen HUP games with chunks missing form cabs, very faded, and scratches.
They were moved around multiple times, dropped once, and sat next to a window for years.
HUO means very little. Condition is what matters.

If it means very little, why are we arguing about it?

As I said, I've seen plenty of HUO games, and not just late model Sterns. You can say whatever you want but this game is not HUO, and anybody who isn't just trying to blow our minds with "HUO means nothing!" would admit that. This is clearly a location game, unless the "home" it lived in was a barn, or a bar. The lockdown part of the cabinet looks like every location game I've ever seen - where's that HUO shine? Beyond that there is rust everywhere. Under the glass, even the APRON has a scuff, and the instruction cards are filthy (come on, HUO games owned by the GP never even get their glass removed, ever).

I think I've made my case plain. Might be interesting to know why - looking at those pictures - somebody might think the game IS actually HUO? It has a nice playfield, and there doesn't appear to be wear at the coin slots. You can say that for most of the 15 games I own though, and none of them are HUO.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Because people who have preconceived notions that huo means pristine are not seeing the whole picture?
Its an almost 30 year old piece of furniture to non-pinheads. They shuffled it around, they threw it in basements and garages. After the newness wore off it was neglected, ignored, and as such its beat. This one will clean up with love, but even newer ones suffer similar problems. Its really awkward to be in a collector's house with a newer stern where the inserts have started to raise and its getting edge wear. The game is huo, but its not mint and the problem is only getting worse. Just gotta smile, nod and tell them what a nice collection they have.

So you believe this game to be HUO, based solely on the foggy memories of a general public non-hobbyist seller who claims they bought it "new" 30 years ago for $1800? I'm pretty sure that's not even the right price for a NIB game in 1988. Doesn't that sound like $1,000 too low? If this story is even true they probably bought it from a distributor who told them it was "new" when it had been on route for several years at least.

I agree with you guys that "HUO doesn't mean pristine." This is not exactly an earth-shattering statement.

But beyond that, why are you all convinced this game is HUO? It looks like shit, and the seller's story doesn't really add up. $1800?!

So what do you guys say? THIS PARTICULAR GAME. You really think it's HUO?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Here is a possible theory. The original buyer bought it for $1,800 from a Billiards place or similar brick and mortar store. So the buyer believes he is the first and only owner without realizing that the game was not new in box from the manufacturer, but rather a boxed route game from the brick and mortar store.
So the original buyer truly believes it is a Home Use Only game, but in reality he is most likely the first home owner.
That's my guess anyway.
Marcus

This is probably exactly what happened.

And hey in case anybody is interested, here's is what an ACTUAL 30+ year old HUO game looks like. You'll note that it looks like it was only kept in a private home (look at the shiny lockdown bar receiver).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-1-owner-huo-bally-space-invaders-worth

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

HUO is crap, what if the guy's home is a shit hole? What if hes a slob? I'll take a nice routed game over an idiots HUO game any day of the week.

Yeah, because slobs in shitholes buy a lot of NIB pinball machines.

For all of this nonsense about "HUO being meaningless!" I've never seen an ugly HUO game. I've never seen pictures of an ugly HUO game.

All we got to go on in basing this theory is a bunch of pinside anecdotes, and I think we know what those are worth.

LOL @ "HUO is crap."

Fake HUO maybe. But an actual home use vintage game is a thing of beauty.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

ive owned more than one and all had nice pfs/ all were vitragraph btw. one i sold on here. ive seen prob 20 tx sectors in person, never seen one with wear on the pf.

That's because they are all HUO just like this one!

#69 7 years ago

The flippers definitely have a fuse.

Beyond that I'd check for a connector issue and course carefully inspect the wiring at the coils and flipper switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-huo-tx-sector?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.