SAM_0539 (resized).JPG
SAM_0540 (resized).JPG
SAM_0537 (resized).JPG
SAM_0538 (resized).JPG
SAM_0536 (resized).JPG
SAM_0535 (resized).JPG
SAM_0533 (resized).JPG
SAM_0534 (resized).JPG
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I went and grabbed this for somebody as a favor as he lives in another state - paid a lot of money for it and now he tells me the classic bs story that my wife found out and I can't do it. so he tells me to just bring it back and explain it to the seller. I would never bring it back as that isn't fair to the seller.

anyway I have read it's a great game - should I keep it, or sell it - and maybe even make a small profit for my trouble

I am told it's huo - that it was bought new for 1800 or so - but no proof of that - what I do know is the playfield is great - the game has sat in a vacation cottage since day one - so you can see some rust on the chrome - hasn't been used in over 10 years as something is wrong with it - I will get it fixed - anyway what would the value be - forget the huo part as I wouldn't sell it that way as I have no proof and it's shows sign of sitting in a cottage - but playfield is nice

lastly should I keep it - although I said no more games unless another one leaves - I have too many and I am trying to simplify things for my family when my day comes - I have been good about selling some pins and cars - and I want to continue to be good as it's like a disease and I can fall right back into adding to the collections

prime example - somebody just called me about a 1990 ZR1 vette for 12500 with 33k miles - of course I can't pass that up - it's a bad disease

thanks ed

#2 7 years ago

How about you keep that TX-Sector, and I'll take your Diner off your hands!!

#3 7 years ago

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the TX around here if that is what you decide to do.

#4 7 years ago

What did you pay for it? If I don't think it's too high I'll be your new friend and take it off your hands.

#5 7 years ago

Wow! I don't know what you paid, but a HUO (or collector quality) TX-sector is a great find!

I'd say fix it and keep it. Spend some good time on it to get to know its gameplay. At least long enough for you to decide if it's your game or not. If it is, great! TX-Sector is a hard to find game, especially in the condition you describe. If it's not your game, as said, you won't have a hard time selling it. The game has gained quite a following in recent years. I think it's the most popular Sys80B.

For me, the game is a keeper. It's just an awesome game. The gameplay is awesome and original. The translite may be ugly, but the playfield is very pleasant to look at. Especially when tastefully LED'ed. And that soundtrack... it's just out of this world. The playfield on mine was pretty trashed when I got it, but I'm happy I took the effort to repaint and clearcoat it. It's not going anywhere.

#6 7 years ago

By the way: any pictures you'd like to share?

#7 7 years ago

sounds like quite the find! depending on how much you spent of course. I don't plan on getting rid of my TX-Sector ever. If you decided to sell it would probably sell in the first couple minutes here if you don't over price it. No one can accurately price a game when there are no photos, so load some up and we can help ya out.

#8 7 years ago

True HUO, fully working and clean will sell for north of 3k easily.

I vote keep it. I took a peak at your colelction and it would fit in very well. It also would kick out a number of other games IMO based on what you have listed.

Great sounds, great gameplay, and just super fun to shoot.

I'd love to see photos of it!

I still have a list of buyers from when I sold my spare. Glad the new owner is still loving it. It is a keeper for most people once they get it in the house! Definately give it some time after you get it working before making any rash decision to sell for a quick profit. You obviously dont need the money and I am guessing you will love it if you give it a shot.

#9 7 years ago

Haha, I can help you with your addiction! I have a 1994 Z28 with 52k original miles, one owner car if you want to do some pin trading!

#10 7 years ago

okay here are some pictures where you can see how dirty it is - and the rust from being at a vacation house - it's very dirty and I haven't cleaned it or even plugged it in because I was suppose to be just doing a favor for another collector.

SAM_0534 (resized).JPGSAM_0534 (resized).JPG

SAM_0533 (resized).JPGSAM_0533 (resized).JPG

SAM_0535 (resized).JPGSAM_0535 (resized).JPG

SAM_0536 (resized).JPGSAM_0536 (resized).JPG

SAM_0538 (resized).JPGSAM_0538 (resized).JPG

SAM_0537 (resized).JPGSAM_0537 (resized).JPG

SAM_0540 (resized).JPGSAM_0540 (resized).JPG

SAM_0539 (resized).JPGSAM_0539 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

so now you can see why I would never say huo - just because it's one owner doesn't mean it was taken care of - it was bought, played, and considered an afterthought as it became basically furniture. the owner thought it was a crappy game because they discounted them to sell them back in the day - nobody wanted these - again that is all I was told - I have no idea how true any of this is as I wasn't collecting back then. thanks ed

BTW - I am not a new style corvette guy - but for that price it seems like a great deal - it comes with 2 extra windshields - if anybody knows the value of vets please let me know - I figured it was worth 16k or so. thanks ed

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

I went and grabbed this for somebody as a favor as he lives in another state - paid a lot of money for it and now he tells me the classic bs story that my wife found out and I can't do it

Unless you made some kind of arrangement with him that he wasn't necessarily 100% going to buy it, your friend is a grade A asshole.

Speaking as one of many people in this hobby who has received a favor from you, you have a well-deserved reputation as a really nice guy. Your friend is really far over the line in this case. I hope this all works out for you.

#13 7 years ago

HUO is all about condition, and that one is not what I would call a typical HUO condition.

Still looks like it will clean up and be a nice game.

Fully working, fresh rubber, and all done up I would put it at 3k obo and go from there if looking to sell.

They are both rare and in high demand (that continues to go up further).

I still vote to keep it and sell something else. Better to add some diversity to your collection. You dont currently have a single 80B and that is something you need to fix!

#14 7 years ago

To edcianci:
It would seem sir that you went above and beyond to land this machine for your buddy.
You are a good friend. Your pal? Not so much.
Good news is you now have a very desirable(to some) machine. Keep it!

#15 7 years ago

I want it.

#16 7 years ago

Ed, if you want to move it along as intended just PM me what the price was and I'll either take it myself or ask some others I know who are looking for one.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Ed, if you want to move it along as intended just PM me what the price was and I'll either take it myself or ask some others I know who are looking for one.

assuming he got a deal on it, only seems right in this case that he actually put it up at market and sell it on his own.

Should make some money for getting screwed by his 'buddy'

Obviously lots of people want it and I amsure he has already gotten quite a few PMs.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Should make some money for getting screwed by his 'buddy'
Obviously lots of people want it and I amsure he has already gotten quite a few PMs.

I don't understand how he would be getting screwed if someone (myself or another) takes it just as his "buddy" would have.

It's not like he bought a trashed Popeye for $5k for someone.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

HUO is all about condition, and that one is not what I would call a typical HUO condition.

Disagree, given its *age* i am not surprised. I agree it will clean up, but the notion that huo means perfect is bull which is why its such a meaningless term.

#20 7 years ago

I've never seen an HUO game that looks that rough. I don't see how it can possibly be HUO with that cabinet.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've never seen an HUO game that looks that rough. I don't see how it can possibly be HUO with that cabinet.

HOU has no relation to actual game condition, although it is usually implied to be very good or mint condition. A game can be Home-Use-Only, but still be in terrible condition if it is neglected and not maintained properly.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

HOU has no relation to actual game condition, although it is usually implied to be very good or mint condition. A game can be Home-Use-Only, but still be in terrible condition if it is neglected and not maintained properly.

People say that all the time, but that's not true in my experience. I've seen dozens of HUO games of various vintage (dating back to EMs) and I've NEVER seen an HUO game with a cabinet that rough. I'm trying to imagine the circumstances in home use that would result in that kind of cabinet wear.

You wanna field that one? They just dragged it around the backyard for fun? Had kids parties where they chalked up the cabinet? A family dog that liked to climb up on a shelf next to the game and rub his ass on the side of the head for 10 years?

Not seeing it dude. We aren't talking about a dirty playfield or cracked plastics. Exactly how would one "properly maintain" a cabinet in Home Use so it doesn't look like it was location for 10 years? Because that's exactly what that cabinet looks like. Probably because it was on location for 10 years.

#23 7 years ago

cabs get dinged pretty easy. I have seen HUP games with chunks missing form cabs, very faded, and scratches.

They were moved around multiple times, dropped once, and sat next to a window for years.

HUO means very little. Condition is what matters.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

cabs get dinged pretty easy. I have seen HUP games with chunks missing form cabs, very faded, and scratches.
They were moved around multiple times, dropped once, and sat next to a window for years.
HUO means very little. Condition is what matters.

If it means very little, why are we arguing about it?

As I said, I've seen plenty of HUO games, and not just late model Sterns. You can say whatever you want but this game is not HUO, and anybody who isn't just trying to blow our minds with "HUO means nothing!" would admit that. This is clearly a location game, unless the "home" it lived in was a barn, or a bar. The lockdown part of the cabinet looks like every location game I've ever seen - where's that HUO shine? Beyond that there is rust everywhere. Under the glass, even the APRON has a scuff, and the instruction cards are filthy (come on, HUO games owned by the GP never even get their glass removed, ever).

I think I've made my case plain. Might be interesting to know why - looking at those pictures - somebody might think the game IS actually HUO? It has a nice playfield, and there doesn't appear to be wear at the coin slots. You can say that for most of the 15 games I own though, and none of them are HUO.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If it means very little, why are we arguing about it?

The point was that even tough it may live in someone's home for most or all of it's life, doesn't mean it will be in mint condition.

Some games that I've pulled out of homes have rusty balls that were never changed, which would absolutely easily tear up a playfield.

If a game was not stored in an air conditioned area or in a damp basement, everything will get surface rust.

If it becomes a piece of furniture to store stuff on, the cabinet will easily get banged up, especially if things start getting leaned up against it.

If it was in a room that was repainted, it will sometimes get paint splashed on it.

The problem is that neglect will do a number on a HUO game.

#26 7 years ago

More importantly, are you still rabid (rapid)?

#27 7 years ago

This will clean up nice. Fix it, shop it and it will be worth what Whysnow says. North or right on 3,000.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If it means very little, why are we arguing about it?.

Because people who have preconceived notions that huo means pristine are not seeing the whole picture?

Its an almost 30 year old piece of furniture to non-pinheads. They shuffled it around, they threw it in basements and garages. After the newness wore off it was neglected, ignored, and as such its beat. This one will clean up with love, but even newer ones suffer similar problems. Its really awkward to be in a collector's house with a newer stern where the inserts have started to raise and its getting edge wear. The game is huo, but its not mint and the problem is only getting worse. Just gotta smile, nod and tell them what a nice collection they have.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Because people who have preconceived notions that huo means pristine are not seeing the whole picture?
Its an almost 30 year old piece of furniture to non-pinheads. They shuffled it around, they threw it in basements and garages. After the newness wore off it was neglected, ignored, and as such its beat. This one will clean up with love, but even newer ones suffer similar problems. Its really awkward to be in a collector's house with a newer stern where the inserts have started to raise and its getting edge wear. The game is huo, but its not mint and the problem is only getting worse. Just gotta smile, nod and tell them what a nice collection they have.

So you believe this game to be HUO, based solely on the foggy memories of a general public non-hobbyist seller who claims they bought it "new" 30 years ago for $1800? I'm pretty sure that's not even the right price for a NIB game in 1988. Doesn't that sound like $1,000 too low? If this story is even true they probably bought it from a distributor who told them it was "new" when it had been on route for several years at least.

I agree with you guys that "HUO doesn't mean pristine." This is not exactly an earth-shattering statement.

But beyond that, why are you all convinced this game is HUO? It looks like shit, and the seller's story doesn't really add up. $1800?!

So what do you guys say? THIS PARTICULAR GAME. You really think it's HUO?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you believe this game to be HUO, based solely on the foggy memories of a general public non-hobbyist seller who claims they bought it "new" 30 years ago for $1800? I'm pretty sure that's not even the right price for a NIB game in 1988. Doesn't that sound like $1,000 too low? If this story is even true they probably bought it from a distributor who told them it was "new" when it had been on route for several years at least.
I agree with you guys that "HUO doesn't mean pristine." This is not exactly an earth-shattering statement.
But beyond that, why are you all convinced this game is HUO? It looks like shit, and the seller's story doesn't really add up. $1800?!
So what do you guys say? THIS PARTICULAR GAME. You really think it's HUO?

Here is a possible theory. The original buyer bought it for $1,800 from a Billiards place or similar brick and mortar store. So the buyer believes he is the first and only owner without realizing that the game was not new in box from the manufacturer, but rather a boxed route game from the brick and mortar store.

So the original buyer truly believes it is a Home Use Only game, but in reality he is most likely the first home owner.

That's my guess anyway.

Marcus

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Here is a possible theory. The original buyer bought it for $1,800 from a Billiards place or similar brick and mortar store. So the buyer believes he is the first and only owner without realizing that the game was not new in box from the manufacturer, but rather a boxed route game from the brick and mortar store.
So the original buyer truly believes it is a Home Use Only game, but in reality he is most likely the first home owner.
That's my guess anyway.
Marcus
Marcus

Yep this happens alot......

#32 7 years ago

Ed - keep the game, lose the friend

#33 7 years ago

This game is fun to play in small bursts, and the music is cool 8-bit retro, but I am surprised the shallow gameplay supports a 3K price tag. If you can get that for it I'd definitely unload it.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

This game is fun to play in small bursts, and the music is cool 8-bit retro, but I am surprised the shallow gameplay supports a 3K price tag. If you can get that for it I'd definitely unload it.

Yea its ok but definitely not something that wld keep my interest in home use

#35 7 years ago

You will find lots of haters that have likely never been able to play a nice example and are also anti GTB games (some of the B/W crew or A listers get their balls all twisted when they see that some games go for more than they think is reasonable).

Same guys freak out when they see a collectible EM selling for over 3k.

Reality is that TX is not just some flavor of the week, month, year. It has risen in popularity and supply is small. It continues to rise in popularity and there is good reason for it. The market has clearly spoken on the title despite what a couple of haters may project.

You definitely should keep the game and lose the friend.

#36 7 years ago

Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion on a game u like/own whysnow ...... lol. I just said it wldnt keep my interest in home use.....thats it. Nothing about price or anything else

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion on a game u like/own whysnow ...... lol. I just said it wldnt keep my interest in home use.....thats it. Nothing about price or anything else

yea that's hilton for you, always the extreme. Raise an eyebrow over a game's price and suddenly you're a "hater" and "anti GTB" and your "balls are twisted" LOL Passion is one thing, but blind ignorant passion is just stupid. You go, Hilton, defender of the forums

#38 7 years ago

HUO is crap, what if the guy's home is a shit hole? What if hes a slob? I'll take a nice routed game over an idiots HUO game any day of the week.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Unless you made some kind of arrangement with him that he wasn't necessarily 100% going to buy it, your friend is a grade A asshole..

I totally agree and hope this works out in your favor somehow. You deserve a break for being a good guy. I'm surprised you didn't name the pinsider... so he doesn't do this to someone else.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Quoted from metallik:

yea that's hilton for you, always the extreme. Raise an eyebrow over a game's price and suddenly you're a "hater" and "anti GTB" and your "balls are twisted" LOL Passion is one thing, but blind ignorant passion is just stupid. You go, Hilton, defender of the forums

you guys are so predictable sometimes

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

That's my guess anyway.
Marcus

This is probably exactly what happened.

And hey in case anybody is interested, here's is what an ACTUAL 30+ year old HUO game looks like. You'll note that it looks like it was only kept in a private home (look at the shiny lockdown bar receiver).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-1-owner-huo-bally-space-invaders-worth

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

HUO is crap, what if the guy's home is a shit hole? What if hes a slob? I'll take a nice routed game over an idiots HUO game any day of the week.

Yeah, because slobs in shitholes buy a lot of NIB pinball machines.

For all of this nonsense about "HUO being meaningless!" I've never seen an ugly HUO game. I've never seen pictures of an ugly HUO game.

All we got to go on in basing this theory is a bunch of pinside anecdotes, and I think we know what those are worth.

LOL @ "HUO is crap."

Fake HUO maybe. But an actual home use vintage game is a thing of beauty.

#43 7 years ago

Never have seen or played this game before, looks very interesting, hope it works out

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

How about you keep that TX-Sector, and I'll take your Diner off your hands!!

Where did this come from? I'm Not big on Tx but here is a funny one for you. I got my Diner from Ed. Sure it was probably a dozen years ago but if he was selling another Diner I would take it also

#45 7 years ago

wow it is funny where these threads go - I will end up selling the game and when I do I would never say it is HUO because of the condition - here is what I said on my initial post

forget the huo part as I wouldn't sell it that way as I have no proof and it's shows sign of sitting in a cottage - but playfield is nice

this wasn't a battle of whether it's huo or not - I actually have the whole story on the game as I found it and mentioned it to a friend who jumped at wanting it - I think it was the huo tx-sector that made him want it - when I picked it up and told him the condition that it's in, that's when I got the bs wife story - some of you guys are really close on the story - it was bought off a vendor - but it sat in the vendors warehouse as he did pick it up between 1800-2000 as they were dumping them. he never put it on location and sold it to the gentleman I got the game from.

he had no respect for the game at all - it was at a vacation cottage (beach house) - you can see the rust - it was a party house and the game went through hell. the guy didn't know it could retain value if he kept it nice - the best thing that happened to it was it stopped working. anyway when I was asked about it I said it was more then likely a 400-500 game as nobody wants system80 games.

I mentioned it to a friend who told me it's worth good money and he will take it at a certain price - I called the guy back and told him I'm sorry I was wrong it actually is worth between 2-3k from what I was told. yes I could have got the game for $400 - but if somebody ask me what it's worth I feel obligated to tell him.

from there the game was bought for a friend (yes I will not mention who it is because there are always 2 sides to a story and I can see his side would be "I thought it was going to be a pristine HUO game".

all that doesn't matter - I am going to sell it and I won't lose money if everybody is correct that it could be 3k or more all cleaned up and working. I have called a tech and it will get fixed soon.

when I went to pick it up some plastics were taken off and cleaned to make sure all the crap came off them so I could give the guy top dollar for it. they did - you can see the ones that were cleaned in the pictures (the lower ones)

also to give my opinion on the huo seeing I have the game in front of me - I would say it is - I look at the targets, the circle things around the pop bumpers - the shooter lane, the metal flaps, all show no sign of being used at all - to me it's a very low played game that was at a 3 month a year beach cottage. also to show you the respect this game was given - it was dropped off and left outside someplace after the closing because the owner had no place to put it when his mom sold the beach cottage. luckily it was brought in the same day.

I did plug it in about 30 minutes ago - it boots - takes credit - when you start the game the ball doesn't eject and the flippers don't flip

the display is as bright as new - it makes sounds - so hopefully something minor. I won't play it as I don't want to be tempted to keep it.

as far as selling I like to do the fair thing - but there isn't a fair thing as my email got whacked today by lots of nice people offering to buy it.

hopefully the repair guy comes in a week or two and I can then try to sell it - I might actually try to store it and bring it to pintastic for people to play - and then sell it there - that way I help support the local show. Gabe has put a lot of effort into pintastic and this might be one of those games nobody ever brings.

anyway please continue the huo argument - it's all fun and makes good reading - I think I have a good idea what it's worth now from all the emails I got - I also want to thank everybody for being very good and honest as nobody sent a message saying it's a 1k game and I will buy it. everybody was great in helping me get a good idea of it's value.

thanks again - ed - or rapid ed to those who read the thread on me getting attack by the fox

#46 7 years ago

Thanks for the extra info, edcianci. Interesting to hear some background details.

A question, just out of curiosity: how do you know already that you'll sell the game? Is it the price tag? Don't you like the looks of it? The fact that it's a Sys80b? Or maybe something else? It's of course your game, so your choice. It just seems like such a quick decision if you haven't even played the game yet.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Thanks for the extra info, edcianci. Interesting to hear some background details.
A question, just out of curiosity: how do you know already that you'll sell the game? Is it the price tag? Don't you like the looks of it? The fact that it's a Sys80b? Or maybe something else? It's of course your game, so your choice. It just seems like such a quick decision if you haven't even played the game yet.

I have too many things already - too many pins. I am trying not to be a hoarder - so I won't even play the game - if I play it then I will more then likely want to keep it - I used to have 109 pins set up at my house - think about how crazy that was - I have games I bought brand new years and years ago and they might have 10 games played on them. I still have a game I bought new sitting in the box - I have never played it.

I have cars I bought 10 years ago that still have the same gas in them when I bought them. lastly look at the pictures - can you see how disgustingly dirty my basement is - look at all the crap around it - you are right it's a quick decision - and I haven't played it - and I won't play it as I know I will keep it if I play it. I have games now that haven't been played in over 1 year. so I will not keep it.

thanks ed

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, because slobs in shitholes buy a lot of NIB pinball machines.
For all of this nonsense about "HUO being meaningless!" I've never seen an ugly HUO game. I've never seen pictures of an ugly HUO game.

Well there could be a reason for that Levi.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

I have games now that haven't been played in over 1 year. so I will not keep it

OK.

I have a much more important question...

What other games do you want to sell Ed? I am a hoarder (not really as most of my games are playable) and looking to get up to 100 games

If your pinside collection is accurate, you have a few games I would like to buy. Hell, I would be happy working out a package purchase, coming to RI to pick them up, and spend a weekend helping you to get your other games in order and working so you can play them more often.

PM me if you are interested.

#50 7 years ago

look out, ed.. hilton's after your black hole..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-huo-tx-sector/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.