Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170711_182523 (resized).jpg
20170711_182518 (resized).jpg
20170711_182511 (resized).jpg
20170711_182313 (resized).jpg
20170711_182307 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So I just picked up my first em and I'm trying to figure out what it's worth. The pin in question is a Gottlieb Slick Chick. I know this is a pretty popular EM and the nicer ones can go for a bit of money. I'm going to do my best to replace things it needs and get it working, but it's my first em and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

The good:
Looks to be 100% complete. All of the solenoids could easily be manually actuated and none of the sleeves were burnt. Scoring motor turns easily. Playfield looks to be in pretty good condition. Just dirty and may need a few small touchups.

The bad:
Backglass is there but does have some wear and touchups.

Cabinet paint is missing in some spots and certain panels don't look original. Needs glued back together.

Has a power cord hack and some custom switches for power. Consequently I couldn't get it to play when I bought it. The nice old lady claimed it worked earlier this week for a few games and that it worked last summer. I know there was power because I got zapped while fiddling inside.

Some of the slick chick pop caps are custom painted and look bad. They don't seem to be secured and fall off.

The legs and side rails are rusty

Owner said the scoring motor was sticking for him and he had to manually actuate it. Again, it spins freely so maybe just needs cleaned.

Playfield glass is plate and will have to be replaced.

Balls were super pitted. You should see how mushroomed the shooter rod is.

Doesn't have locks

Missing a spring or something for the coil of one of the chimes

The end cap on the lock down bar has come detached

What do you guys think? Was it a good pickup? I'm curious what people value it at as it sits, after the glaring issues are remedied, and then after a full restore with new legs, backglass, and redone cabinet.

20170711_182307 (resized).jpg20170711_182307 (resized).jpg

20170711_182313 (resized).jpg20170711_182313 (resized).jpg

20170711_182511 (resized).jpg20170711_182511 (resized).jpg

20170711_182518 (resized).jpg20170711_182518 (resized).jpg

20170711_182523 (resized).jpg20170711_182523 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Maybe $400 but I tend to avoid projects.

#3 6 years ago

I would not look at this as an investment. Even if they paid you to take it, by the time you bring this back you will be into the game way more than it's worth- even if you work for free and that's cheating- Looks cool- but forget about value and enjoy it. I would not even pay 200 but it's not a game I have any interest in owning so someone else might disagree- but generally- this is not going to demand big dollars compared to other era games- the truth of the matter is that the list of EM games worth more than 600 in that condition is frightfully short.

#4 6 years ago

You did fine money wise - I saw that on Letgo listed for $300. Shay Arcade has the backglass and Pinball Resource has new pop-bumper caps. I personally don't like mixing old with new bumper caps but jmo. If you do go with all new I am looking to upgrade a couple caps on my Slick Chick - let me know if you sell any.

Bostonpinball.biz has it averaged out at about $1000 (ebay sales). The 2017 Mr. Pinball Price Guide lists it for $1450 in very good condition working.

You do have to be careful though when buying games as to not put too much money into it. This one you should be fine.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You did fine money wise - I saw that on Letgo listed for $300. Shay Arcade has the backglass and Pinball Resource has new pop-bumper caps. I personally don't like mixing old with new bumper caps but jmo. If you do go with all new I am looking to upgrade a couple caps on my Slick Chick - let me know if you sell any.
Bostonpinball.biz has it averaged out at about $1000 (ebay sales). The 2017 Mr. Pinball Price Guide lists it for $1450 in very good condition working.
You do have to be careful though when buying games as to not put too much money into it. This one you should be fine.

Thanks for you your response. That's very helpful. It's going to be a learning experience for sure. Yeah, I'm still debating on how much new stuff to buy. I do agree that the new caps probably wouldn't match well with the old caps if I only replaced some of them.

I think I'm going to glue, nail, and fill the cabinet to get that in tip top shape before painting. While that's in process I'm going to tackle the playfield shop. After that I'll have to figure out whether to replace the backglass, legs, caps, coin door, etc.

After the shop and cabinet work I think I'll play it for a while before listing it to see if anyone really wants one. I'm more of a dmd guy as I didn't grow up with these older machines

#6 6 years ago

Love this game. Bargain that I never find.

It is a busy machine so getting to work really well is a project. We can help you here with that. Lastly thanks to PBR all parts are available.

#7 6 years ago

You should be able to remove any rust (Evaporust, Lightning Rust Remover, etc.) and buff out your legs, coin door,and coin entrance plate which would save you some $$$$.

#8 6 years ago

I see them VGC, all shopped and working for $1200-2000.

#9 6 years ago

Slick Chick is a great game. Get it playing well and put some time in on it and make your own opinion of its appeal to you.

You don't want to part with a game like this without getting a chance to really play it.

#10 6 years ago

Agreed, Slick Chick is a great game! Always worth adding to any collection.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for this one noticing at a glance it needs a cabinet job, backglass, bumper caps, among other things to make it right. To put that kind of time, effort and money into it would only be to add to my collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-gottlieb-slick-chick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.