IMG_4145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4142 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4144 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4207 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4206 (resized).jpg
#1 12 days ago

I have recently did a partial restoration on a Bally Embryon that I got on a trade. The cabinet is in good shape along with the side art. I did a full restoration on the playfield. New plastics and a LED kit. Added a new MPU board and Power Supply Rectifier board. I recapped and serviced the rest of the boards in the back box. Also added new LED displays. I was wondering what the value of the machine would be? Its getting harder to find these early Bally widebodies that are in good shape.

IMG_4138 (resized).jpegIMG_4138 (resized).jpegIMG_4142 (resized).jpegIMG_4142 (resized).jpegIMG_4144 (resized).jpegIMG_4144 (resized).jpegIMG_4145 (resized).jpegIMG_4145 (resized).jpegIMG_4147 (resized).jpegIMG_4147 (resized).jpegIMG_4206 (resized).jpgIMG_4206 (resized).jpgIMG_4207 (resized).jpegIMG_4207 (resized).jpeg
#2 12 days ago

crazy fun one and that playfield looks great. not sure what they go for these days, but had a hard time getting $1500 for mine a while back.

#3 12 days ago

I've seen Embryon at shows at various prices. That looks like a nice example. Where are you located?

#4 11 days ago

Lots of factors this depends on.
We don't knowm WHT a "full restoration on the PF " means...and this makes all the diff'rence in value. You'd need pics of rhe upper flipper area which is wear all the PF damage is usually.

#5 11 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Lots of factors this depends on.
We don't knowm WHT a "full restoration on the PF " means...and this makes all the diff'rence in value. You'd need pics of rhe upper flipper area which is wear all the PF damage is usually.

There is no wear on the playfield at all. Brand new hard top, new plastics, all metal pieces and screws polished. All solenoids, flippers, and mechanical components refurbished. The wood around the playfield has be refinished and painted. I have around 50 plus hours into the playfield alone. Probably the best playfield on a Embryon. Here is a better picture of the playfield mid restoration.

IMG_4123 (resized).jpegIMG_4123 (resized).jpeg
#6 10 days ago
Quoted from Lane1234:

There is no wear on the playfield at all. Brand new hard top, new plastics, all metal pieces and screws polished. All solenoids, flippers, and mechanical components refurbished. The wood around the playfield has be refinished and painted. I have around 50 plus hours into the playfield alone. Probably the best playfield on a Embryon. Here is a better picture of the playfield mid restoration.
[quoted image]

What do you mean by “brand new hardtop”? Outside Edges doesn’t make a hardtop for Embryon. Do you mean overlay? Big difference in value between an overlay and restored original playfield. Regardless, your machine looks great! I hope to pick one up one day.

#7 10 days ago
Quoted from ROMM:

What do you mean by “brand new hardtop”? Outside Edges doesn’t make a hardtop for Embryon. Do you mean overlay? Big difference in value between an overlay and restored original playfield. Regardless, your machine looks great! I hope to pick one up one day.

Thanks! It’s a hard top not an overlay. I was able to get a brand new hard top from Mirco playfields. It’s a company located in Germany. I was a little skeptical at first but the playfield they sent me came out perfect. They predrilled all the holes for screws and hardware. They also put a nice thick ceramic clear coat on the playfield. It was the only company that I could find that makes one. The original playfield was toast. Glad I went that route. Here are some images of the original playfield pre restoration.

IMG_3640 (resized).jpegIMG_3640 (resized).jpegIMG_3642 (resized).jpegIMG_3642 (resized).jpegIMG_3635 (resized).jpegIMG_3635 (resized).jpegIMG_3633 (resized).jpegIMG_3633 (resized).jpegIMG_3632 (resized).jpegIMG_3632 (resized).jpeg
#8 10 days ago
Quoted from Lane1234:

...I was able to get a brand new hard top from Mirco playfields. It’s a company located in Germany...

Annnnnd this is we need all the info. Mirco not the most trusted person round here

Plus there's a language barrier issue. This is an actual Playfield, not a "hard top," which is a whole nother thing

#9 10 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Annnnnd this is we need all the info. Mirco not the most trusted person round here
Plus there's a language barrier issue. This is an actual Playfield, not a "hard top," which is a whole nother thing

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know there was a difference between a “hard top” and “playfield”. I’m new to the hobby. This is my first attempt at fixing up a solid state pinball machine. I’ve learned a lot from refurbishing video arcade machine such as galaga, nba jam, and mortal kombat just to name a few.

#10 10 days ago

This thread is helpful info on all the reasons Mirco is a little shady and the potential risks you face with that shiny “ceramic” clearcoat. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers/

There’s a lot of posts but well worth reading. I hope you did not overtighten any posts, and hopefully used some silicone washers under the posts.

The swap looks fantastic and I hope it holds up. That’s the trouble with Mirco. Sometimes they do hold up, other times it’s a disaster after even just a few plays.

#11 10 days ago

I suggest placing neoprene washers (neoprene on playfield) under the star posts. See cottonm4 posts about this as they should prevent cracking and pooling of the clear.

https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Bonded-Sealing-Washers-Stainless/dp/B07WX7HNGD

#12 10 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

This thread is helpful info on all the reasons Mirco is a little shady and the potential risks you face with that shiny “ceramic” clearcoat. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers/
There’s a lot of posts but well worth reading. I hope you did not overtighten any posts, and hopefully used some silicone washers under the posts.
The swap looks fantastic and I hope it holds up. That’s the trouble with Mirco. Sometimes they do hold up, other times it’s a disaster after even just a few plays.

Yeah I've heard mixed reviews about Mirco products. I would of rather purchased from reputable company if I had the option. Like I said, no one makes a playfield or even an overlay for a Embryon other than Mirco. Also had no luck finding a used playfield that was in better condition than the one it had. This put me in a tight spot. I was either going to part the machine or sell it as it was. Decided to take a huge gamble on Mirco. The playfield costed $1100. The gamble has payed off so far. We will see how it last over time. No complaints so far. I will say that I tried to reach out to Mirco and the customer service was non existent.

#13 10 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I suggest placing neoprene washers (neoprene on playfield) under the star posts. See cottonm4 posts about this as they should prevent cracking and pooling of the clear.

Thanks!

#14 10 days ago

I sold an Embryon back when pinball prices were near their highest point. The playfield had some wear that had been touched up, but it was solid otherwise with new 7-digit displays. It sat for a long time, and I finally got about $2,500 for it.

#15 10 days ago
Quoted from Lane1234:

I have recently did a partial restoration on a Bally Embryon that I got on a trade. The cabinet is in good shape along with the side art. I did a full restoration on the playfield. New plastics and a LED kit. Added a new MPU board and Power Supply Rectifier board. I recapped and serviced the rest of the boards in the back box. Also added new LED displays. I was wondering what the value of the machine would be? Its getting harder to find these early Bally widebodies that are in good shape.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve had and really like Embryon. If it was local to me I’d probably go as high as 3k… not sure where its market value today is though.

#16 10 days ago
Quoted from BRW84:

I sold an Embryon back when pinball prices were near their highest point. The playfield had some wear that had been touched up, but it was solid otherwise with new 7-digit displays. It sat for a long time, and I finally got about $2,500 for it.

$2,500 seems like a pretty fair price. If someone offered me that I would probably take it. Not planning on selling anytime soon though. It looks good in my home arcade.

#17 10 days ago

Paragon and Future spa should be somewhat good comps. Based on your condition I would say low 3’s but have only read about problems with mirco but not owned one.

#18 10 days ago
Quoted from Lane1234:

Thanks! It’s a hard top not an overlay. I was able to get a brand new hard top from Mirco playfields. It’s a company located in Germany. I was a little skeptical at first but the playfield they sent me came out perfect. They predrilled all the holes for screws and hardware. They also put a nice thick ceramic clear coat on the playfield. It was the only company that I could find that makes one. The original playfield was toast. Glad I went that route. Here are some images of the original playfield pre restoration.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet! Yeah a brand new playfield is the way to go, and yeah, Mirco is currently the only game in town, but I probably would have done the same as you. Some guys on the Embryon owners thread couldn't resist the Mirco playfield either. I'd give you $2500 for that machine in a heartbeat if you were close enough to me!

#19 10 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Also you should take this guy's advice. Good insurance on that beautiful machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-of-bally-embryon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.