Value/ bang for the buck machines??

By sulli10

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

First off, this is my first entry as I just joined. I am very glad to see so many people with the same mental problems as myself ( my wife believes i am the only one with the pinball sickness ). I was about to buy a TZ ( re buy actually as I sold mine), when i decided to buy getaway and who dunnit for 200$ less then the price of the TZ. I also picked up a Tommy real cheap as well. I have gone thru a lot of the "A" list machines ( still have MM / TAF/SM/LOTR) but am know trying to find the gems that are not run up in cost. I have been thinking about Dr Who. Any other ideas?

#2 13 years ago

I would like to pick up some of the custom remakes like the Sexy Girl(s) lb45 found over in Europe. A bit too far away for me though. BTW welcome to our friendly slightly insane group

#3 13 years ago

Welcome

Dr. Who is a great game in that price range. Another pin in this price range is Demolition Man, many folks bash the artwork but it's a very, very underrated game.

#4 13 years ago

Welcome to Pinside, sulli10! Are you specifically looking at DMD era games, or would you be open to earlier stuff?

#5 13 years ago

I like Dr. Who. Fun and challenging pin.

#6 13 years ago

I am looking for DMD era games Thanks for the responses

#7 13 years ago

In that case, I'll throw a couple games out there that I think are fun but don't get a lot of love ... Party Zone and Dirty Harry.

#8 13 years ago

BSD, JD, HSII, LAH, wow, the list goes on. Those are some of the cheaper games that pop into the head that are just fun! The Shadow is another great game but the prices seem to be climbing steady on that one. Either that, or they waited to go up as soon as I started looking for one!

#9 13 years ago

"Either that, or they waited to go up as soon as I started looking for one!"

Isn't that always the case! I've been looking really hard for a deal on a Tommy in nice shape. A year ago you could find them everywhere. These days, it seems like the ones in mediocre condition start at $2,000 and go up from there.

#10 13 years ago

I love black rose. Picked it up for just a 1000.

#11 13 years ago

dont forget about games like JP, TFTC, JD

#12 13 years ago

LW3 is a decent pin you can get for cheap. Just make sure to update the ROMs so you can turn off that annoying Joe Pesce quote.

#13 13 years ago

Tons of great value pins ($1500 and below) that won't wreck your wallet.

Bally/Williams (pre DMD): Black Knight, Black Knight 2000, Elvira and the Party Monsters, High Speed, Pinbot, Space Shuttle, The Machine: Bride of Pinbot

Bally/Williams (DMD): Dr Who, Party Zone, Terminator 2, High Speed II: The Getaway, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Johnny Mnemonic, No Fear, and NBA Fastbreak. Indianapolis 500 is another kick-butt pin, but its kinda hard finding one nowadays. I think the best bang for your buck for this era, as far as Bally/Williams goes, I'd cast my vote to The Shadow (disgustingly addictive due to the difficulty with almost perfect software).

Data East: Last Action Hero, Jurassic Park, Tales from the Crypt

Sega: Batman Forever, Goldeneye, Mary Shelly's Frankentein, Starship Troopers

I want to add Data East's Tommy, but like gweepose found out....the price on Tommy machines seems to go up. Good thing about finding a Tommy, is they are usually in good shape (the ones I have seen anyway). If anything, the machine might be missing the sweet pinball topper, but thats about it.

I also wanted to add White Water, but this one seems to push past the $2000 price tag nowadays. Be it nostalgia or people hyping it up....the thing seems to be climbing up in value.

PS: Great choice of adding Dirty Harry gweempose! A great pin vastly underappreciated, ESPECIALLY for how much you can pay for one. Super cheap late Williams DCS pin, and for the most part, are in great condition when you find one (near flawless playfields with little cabinet fade...maybe a finnicky gun).

#14 13 years ago

I'm going to second a lot of what was posted above. I absolutely adore Pinbot and Space Shuttle, these are very likely to show up in my collection if I find a nice one locally.

As for Dirty Harry, my local pizza parlor has one tucked in the back, I've found that I really enjoy the game much more than I though I would. It surprises me how cheaply they can be had.

1 week later
#15 13 years ago

Demo Man is a good one, if you don't mind Gottliebs Big Hurt is good value.

1 week later
#16 13 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula by-a-Mile !!!!! Like Judge Dredd too.. Bang-for-ya-Buck !!

#17 13 years ago

I really like Johnny Mnemonic for the price as well as Mary Shelly's Frankentein both affordable and very fun to play in my opinion. That was a great list you made drbond!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/value-bang-for-the-buck-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.