Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by flip78
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PC020220.JPG
PC020216.JPG

#1 4 years ago

Anyone have one of these or played one? Are parts available for these? What are they worth?

#2 4 years ago

Used to own probably the only known working one for quite a few years. Not very fun to play and takes up alot of real estate but a great conversation piece for sure and newbies really seemed to dig it, especially kids.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

PC020216.JPG PC020220.JPG
#3 4 years ago

I owned one for a very short period. I agree with John.

I didn't try to source any parts, but it is a different beast. Tough to work on as you have to remove the entire top to access the playfield. And I seem to remember that it wasn't easy to prop up the playfield and access the electronics.

Also, the contacts that allow the playfield to be rotated are problematic. The game I had had the playfield hardwired and bypassed the rotating contacts. This meant you couldn't freely rotate the playfield around and around and had to tun it back to the original position when done playing.

As for value, it was given to me and I gave it away to a friend. So to the person I got it from, and to me, it was worth nothing. Honestly, I was glad to get rid of it.

#4 4 years ago

I helped get one owned by Rusty Key working a few years ago. The CPU board is a definite weak point in the design. It looked like it was drawn by hand on a copper clad epoxy board. It is single sided and is very easily damaged by battery leakage. I ended up using a silver circuit tracing pen to redraw several traces that were damaged beyond repair.

As to value, it was a novelty pin when it was released. Typically they do not hold value well. Add to that, the fact that it has not held up well over time and the value declines further.

On the other hand, if you are willing to invest a little sweat equity into it, it is a fun and unique pin to restore and play.

ken

#5 4 years ago

So if I can get 2 non working for 300 would it be worth it? What did they use for batteries?

#6 4 years ago

Oof, non-working I wouldn't pay more than $50 each.

#7 4 years ago

I wouldn't pay $300 for two that are non-working.

#8 4 years ago

Right on. I was thinking it was high myself. Now what if 1 worked and other for parts? Condition is unknown

#9 4 years ago

They can't even be parted out except for each other, so good luck with the boards, etc.

#10 4 years ago

Stay away, far far away!

#11 4 years ago

I'd only go for it if you want the game for yourself due to the novelty and you have the room. Any aspirations of making money should be out the window. I'm not saying there's no chance you might end up with two working games and be able to sell one for profit. But don't count on it.

And plan for some possible frustration getting them going. They guy who gave me mine was an electrical engineer who understood the electronics and how the thing worked. Even he said it was taxing to keep it running. If you really want the game, try and make a deal.

#12 4 years ago

Yeah I think I'm going to pass then. Sounds like these are pretty troublesome. Would like to find a rotation. I think those are pretty neat but big machines

#13 4 years ago

I HAVE 2 OF THEM 1 IS GOING 1 DEAD. WOULD LOVE TO SEE IF HE IS WILLING TO PART THEM OUT.
SEND ME INFO IF YOU PASS ON THEM.

3 weeks later
#14 4 years ago

Hi. I have one a pinball buddy will start working on.
I am interested in parts.

#15 4 years ago

I never heard back from the guy. I can email him again and if I get any word I will post

#16 4 years ago

I had one for about 5 years, never got it completely running. I was exited to find John Dayhuff had a working one so I could find out how game play was. After playing John's, I decide it was not worth the effort to finish repairing and sold it 2 months later for around $100.
Aaron

#17 4 years ago

I wold like to see if he wold part them out. I wold like get my 2 working.

#18 4 years ago

I have owned two of them.
First was a non working project game i got at a super auctions years ago for $20 i think.
2nd one was a NIB warehouse find for $400, (probably overpaid)
while it was in perfect brand new condition
and made for a great kitchen/dining room table
for me for years, i never got it fully working.
Because while in storage for about 20yrs before i got it,
the ni-cad batteries had leaked
and the way the electronic boards are all stacked on top of each other in the housing,
the leakage destroyed some of the vital traces sitting below the batteries.
Cool to look at, though not really all that fun to play,
but not the worst cocktail pin i have played either.
<<It (and some spare parts) are now part of my pinball donation to the PPM>>

#19 4 years ago

I am new to this what is PPM

#20 4 years ago

Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda CA

4 weeks later
#21 4 years ago

If Spectra IV are still available, I am interested in some parts.
Especially the display cover, the rotating disc, the opto tilt and the rotating disc.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Anyone have one of these or played one? Are parts available for these? What are they worth?

My dad bought one of these new in the early 80's and I grew up playing it in our basement. My sister owns it now but it hasn't worked in a long long time. I think the CPU board is trashed due to battery corrosion - which seems to be a common problem with this design. I believe this was the one and only game Valley made. I recall my dad saying he bought it from a distributor in Pontiac Mi during some sort of closeout sale for around $500 (in early 1980's $).

I recall it being a fun game for an 8 year old, but its been almost 30 years since ours worked.

3 weeks later
#23 4 years ago

Hi guys !

Now I know how to repair / fix it !

Our last project :
http://www.flipprojets.fr/SpectraIV_EN.php

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9.95
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 209.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 299.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside