(Topic ID: 236105)

Valkyrie vs. Robin Hood vs. Poker Run vs. Sherlock Holmes

By Rascal_H

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Valkyrie vs. Robin Hood vs. Poker Run vs. Sherlock Holmes”

• Valkyrie 22 votes
      24%
    • Robin Hood 21 votes
      23%
    • Poker Run 5 votes
      6%
    • Sherlock Holmes 42 votes
      47%

(90 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E3C9F65C-D602-4450-8870-119218BF4E0A.gif
    hound5 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Which rumored AP theme would be best for pinball?

#2 5 years ago

I would think as a theme Sherlock Holmes would be the strongest of the four, but Valkyrie has the most potential for the art.

#3 5 years ago

I vote Robin Hood. Sherlock Holmes would be tricky to get right.

#4 5 years ago

I voted Robin Hood but I do think Sherlock would be very cool if it had WhoDunnit vibe.

#5 5 years ago

Holmes could be excellent - each mode solves a new case. I like the idea that someone floated on Kaneda's podcast. Make new mysteries as downloadable content. Maybe a new case (mode) each month on a subscription based model.

Robin Hood is second best but carries a lot of baggage due to terrible movies over the years. It would need to be a very unique representation.

Valkyrie is hard to pass any kind of judgement on as a theme unless we could see a mock-up of the theme. Norse mythology could be cool but I would need to see the concept like in a prototype backglass.

Poker Run sounded terrible and the more I learn about what a poker run actually is, the more terrible it sounds. I envision a mash-up of WPT and Full Throttle. Again, I would need to see the concept but out of the gate... yuck.

#6 5 years ago

Holmes would be amazing, but I fear that the animations will be done in same style as Houdini and Oktoberfest...ugh. So much potential to make a better/modernized "Whodunnit" with a classic character and his cast. "And then...Holmes was on the case!" That is the way to go...but need to hire a new animation team, artist, and voice work than their previous games.

#7 5 years ago

Meh on all of them

#8 5 years ago

Sherlock Holmes for me for sure. I know it's not a movie based theme, but if they kept the steam punk theme from the Robert Downey Jr. movies/Houdini pin I think it could be really awesome.

#9 5 years ago

I don't need anymore British Bobbie animations so I'm going Robin Hood.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

Sherlock Holmes for me for sure. I know it's not a movie based theme, but if they kept the steam punk theme from the Robert Downey Jr. movies/Houdini pin I think it could be really awesome.

The RDJ movies stunk!!! Give me the BBC Sherlock, what a masterpiece!

#11 5 years ago

Sherlock Holmes for me it's the only one that would interest me in buying it but it would also need to be a good game as it's not a dteam theme I have.

#12 5 years ago

Valkyrie would sell best to horndog middle-aged NIB buyers.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Meh on all of them

I should have made this an option. Perfectly valid response.

#14 5 years ago

Sherlock Holmes - tons of gameplay potential and a solid theme that most people are slightly familiar with but leaves a lot of room for interpretation. A modern Who Dunnit please!

Robin Hood - same as Sherlock Holmes, but I don't think it's quite as interesting or as full of possibilities a Sherlock Holmes could potentially realize. They'd have to have a Daryl's crossbow equivalent right?

Valkyrie - I think the genericness of this allows the most possibility to wow someone. There's no preconceived notion other than it will be something vaguely Norse and full of artwork of sexy, powerful, warrior women from the heavens. Strong art potential and a very unique theme, do not cheap out on the aesthetics! Has huge potential to appeal to women or repel them depending on how it's done. Mandatory to see a Valkyrie pick up and carry a ball off, maybe like the flying monkey and Woz.

Poker Run - so many car games and so many games based around cards/poker, and the concept of a Poker Run isn't well known. Boring theme overall, but there is some gameplay potential I suppose. Doesn't seem super desirable unless there is a killer gameplay hook.

I think Sherlock Holmes is the best, I'd be interested in what they'd do with Valkyrie, I'm a little more ambivalent towards Robin hood, and a meh to Poker Run.

#15 5 years ago

Make it happen...

hound5 (resized).jpghound5 (resized).jpg
    #16 5 years ago

Robin Hood would be very cool, could be a great $1 game with mates, with things like stealing points or an achievement from the leader. One person is Robin Hood and rest are the Police chasing him down. Ramps going through trees etc

Sherlock would be cool as well, many cases to solve, with the opportunity for a cool look.

#17 5 years ago

I'd vote for a "Nightmare before Christmas"; that could be done great and is right up AP's alley.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcadem:

I'd vote for a "Nightmare before Christmas"; that could be done great and is right up AP's alley.

They’d probably release it in July.

#19 5 years ago

Shit...
    Just make a MEMEs themed pinball then.

#20 5 years ago

I'd be down for a black and white Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes pin. Could be a lot of fun and modes could be awesome. Get new case at the famous residence (scoop) question witnesses, chase the killer (multiball). Could be fun.

#21 5 years ago

I'd say Robin Hood. He (or SHE!) is a character who shoots arrows at things which easily translates into balls flying at targets.

But they should really just get a licensed theme since they're not good at creating original content.

#22 5 years ago

Can someone please explain for me? If these licenses are in the public domain, how does registering entitle/lock out these licenses from other manufacturers? Shouldn’t all manufactures have equal entitlements to any given license in the public domain. Just curious.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Can someone please explain for me? If these licenses are in the public domain, how does registering entitle/lock out these licenses from other manufacturers? Shouldn’t all manufactures have equal entitlements to any given license in the public domain. Just curious.

They're applying for trademarks on pinball games. The other manufacturers could still use the themes, but they would have to not infringe on the trademarks granted to American Pinball for "pinball games, pinball machines, pinball-type games, and slot machines".

Ie American Pinball can sell "Sherlock Holmes" but if Stern wanted to do a Sherlock Holmes game, they would have to come up with a different title. American Pinball would have the right to take Stern to court if they think Stern's game infringes on their trademark. There's nothing stopping Stern from using the theme, but they would have to work around American Pinball's trademark (or Stern could take them to court and say that the trademark should be invalidated)

edit: Think back to when DE and Williams were going at in court. Williams trademarked "multiball". That didn't stop DE from having multiball, but they had to call it something other than multiball (triball).

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Which rumored AP theme would be best for pinball?

Trademarks:
    https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/american-pinball-inc-3371182/

1 week later
    #25 5 years ago

Valkyries come from Norse mythology... Norse mythology comes from the land of ice and snow... ok, it’s a reach, but would be awesome if Led Zeppelin was mixed in here somehow!! Ok, I’ll go back to drinking. (It’s starting to feel like a colordmd hint post).

#26 5 years ago

Who is picking these themes?!

E3C9F65C-D602-4450-8870-119218BF4E0A.gifE3C9F65C-D602-4450-8870-119218BF4E0A.gif

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/valkyrie-vs-robin-hood-vs-poker-run-vs-sherlock-holmes?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.