image_(resized).jpeg
GAME.jpg
ELVISH.jpg
GOLD.jpg
STERN.jpg
GOMEZ.jpg
photo.JPG
IMG-20130504-00011.jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

For me, I'm personally interested in reaching SDMEWM, but Bowen has corrected me in person, that Do Or Die Multiball is the absolute hardest mode/multiball (depending on what you want to call it) in all of pinball.

Here is a link to a good description http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-near-impossibility-of-do-or-die-multiball

I have no desire. If it's beyond the likes of Bowen, it's beyond me.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Just starting. I have let TABA timeout on serious attempts. Not worth risking draining completely and losing a ball.

Quoted from balloukevin:

TABA does not have to be completed, but doing so does reward one of the requisite elf gifts, which, along with beating all the multiballs, is the requirement.
The two hardest elements to Valinor (IMO) are:
* beating ROTK multiball
* the fact that Valinor can only be started with a successful DTR round. You could have everything else done, but choke there, meaning that all 3 MB would have to be requalified and played out.
Fantastic effort on the firmware by Keefer, and WOZ looks to be similar.

Thanks for the answers.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from roadshow16:

Beating the witch king isn't a requirement, or at least I don't think it is, to make it to valinor.

Quoted from heckheck:

Correct, it is not a requirement.

You're right! I'm an idiot for typing that. I still hate that mode, though... I always screw it up.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from balloukevin:

TABA does not have to be completed, but doing so does reward one of the requisite elf gifts, which, along with beating all the multiballs, is the requirement.
The two hardest elements to Valinor (IMO) are:* beating ROTK multiball* the fact that Valinor can only be started with a successful DTR round. You could have everything else done, but choke there, meaning that all 3 MB would have to be requalified and played out.

And, it would be very rare to be able to get to DTR in order to qualify for Valinor twice in one game. That's why DTR that last time in order to reach Valinor has to be the most stressful task in pinball. If you don't do it, you feel like you've played for an hour +/- all for nothing. Voice of experience here.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from balloukevin:

The two hardest elements to Valinor (IMO) are:
* beating ROTK multiball
* the fact that Valinor can only be started with a successful DTR round. You could have everything else done, but choke there, meaning that all 3 MB would have to be requalified and played out.

That's not the hardest part though. It's the fact that you have to time it so that you DTR *after* doing all of that other stuff! If you complete all the other objectives, but you are a long way from even starting the DTR mode, it can be a real pisser since starting it gets progressively more difficult.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Congrats to the OP. I was close many times too (once only 1 shot away that was a heartbreaker) before finally nailing it. I remember screaming for the whole family to come watch me play it.

To those trying to achieve it, here are some tips.

1. Learn to shoot the left orbit with precision, it's probably the most important shot in the game. Always try to keep Palantir lit. The add-a-ball is key to help finishing the multiballs. This shot also gets you to POTD to collect souls, which is the inevitable grind you have to do to win ROTK multiball.

<big gap>

2. Try to finish TT multiball in 2 tries. After the third (I think) DTR, you start getting nasty KEEP locks. Better not to have to deal with these when trying to qualify a DTR to start Valinor.
3. Try to win at least two modes early to have enough elf gifts without having to play TT too many times. Escape Ringwraiths can be won on it's own. Ents, Shelob, Sauraman, Wargs (IMO that order) are great for stacking with a multiball to win. Getting gifts also earns you an important extra ball to bank.
4. Try to keep Gollum multiball lit until you start a multiball (especially ROTK). Shooting this shot even in the grace after you drain to one ball will stack Gollum and keep the multiball alive.
5. Ring multiball also allows you to win an extra ball and should be banked.
6. Don't waste energy over playing multiballs you've already won or TABA (unless stacked to win a mode). You need the goals not the points.

Valinor mostly comes down to a grind to win ROTK multiball before you either

A. Get too tired. Thirty+ minute intense games get hard to sustain towards the goal
B. Have to deal with Nasty KEEP locks to qualify TT multiball for DTR gate to Valinor. It's not impossible by any stretch, but harder when you factor in A. without making mistakes.
C. Run out of balls

That's great advice! Especially the importance of the left orbit shot...

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

5. Ring multiball also allows you to win an extra ball and should be banked.

Are you saying you can accomplish something while playing ring multiball to earn an extra ball? Or, are you saying while playing ring multiball you can win an extra ball if it's lit?

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Congrats to the OP. I was close many times too (once only 1 shot away that was a heartbreaker) before finally nailing it. I remember screaming for the whole family to come watch me play it.
To those trying to achieve it, here are some tips.
1. Learn to shoot the left orbit with precision, it's probably the most important shot in the game. Always try to keep Palantir lit. The add-a-ball is key to help finishing the multiballs. This shot also gets you to POTD to collect souls, which is the inevitable grind you have to do to win ROTK multiball.
<big gap>
2. Try to finish TT multiball in 2 tries. After the third (I think) DTR, you start getting nasty KEEP locks. Better not to have to deal with these when trying to qualify a DTR to start Valinor.3. Try to win at least two modes early to have enough elf gifts without having to play TT too many times. Escape Ringwraiths can be won on it's own. Ents, Shelob, Sauraman, Wargs (IMO that order) are great for stacking with a multiball to win. Getting gifts also earns you an important extra ball to bank.4. Try to keep Gollum multiball lit until you start a multiball (especially ROTK). Shooting this shot even in the grace after you drain to one ball will stack Gollum and keep the multiball alive.5. Ring multiball also allows you to win an extra ball and should be banked.6. Don't waste energy over playing multiballs you've already won or TABA (unless stacked to win a mode). You need the goals not the points.
Valinor mostly comes down to a grind to win ROTK multiball before you either
A. Get too tired. Thirty+ minute intense games get hard to sustain towards the goalB. Have to deal with Nasty KEEP locks to qualify TT multiball for DTR gate to Valinor. It's not impossible by any stretch, but harder when you factor in A. without making mistakes.C. Run out of balls

1. Yes, the left orbit is major. (Don't forget to work toward the 50 tower shots for an extra ball. Extra balls are your friend.)

2. To clarify, DTR attempts have no bearing on the KEEP lock diffculty. It is a function of how many times TTT is played. You could theoretically play TTT all day and never reach DTR.

3. Earn as many gifts as you can. Once you complete the pie and the "gift of the gifts", the extra ball gifts are available again. Remember, extra balls are your friend in LOTR

4. Gollum ball save is a good strategy.

5. Extra balls are still your friend

6. Yes, use any and all mbs with modes if you can. a) it helps work toward TABA which playing it only is necessary for Valinor, b) it helps with gifts which are also required and gifts help with extra balls (did I mention extra balls were your friend?) and once the modes are all played, play them again and use the easy ones to earn more gifts and more extra balls etc. etc. Carefully picking your modes with multiballs is also strategic since the multiball lights trump the mode lights. I suggest memorize shot patterns for modes and pay attention to audio cues.

I've never made it to Valinor in 30 minutes. I think my fastest time is around 45 minutes. Yes every Valinor game is a marathon session. So, LOTR is next to the mini fridge stocked with Mountain Dew

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Are you saying you can accomplish something while playing ring multiball to earn an extra ball?

^^^^^ This. You can earn an "Extra Ball Lit" by collecting enough Ring MB jackpots. I believe it's 10 of them.

#60 8 years ago

Incredible job on an incredible game! LOTR is one of the best ever...

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

2. To clarify, DTR attempts have no bearing on the KEEP lock diffculty. It is a function of how many times TTT is played. You could theoretically play TTT all day and never reach DTR.

Good clarification, it is just the number of times you play TT that leads to nasty locks. One thing to note is that winning DTR gains you an elf gift, so you can only earn two gifts this way while leaving the third TT for a Valinor trigger without facing nasty locks. Also with this strategy, it gets hard sometimes to start modes since the elf ring is lit more often than not on the Aragorn ramp, so sometimes it helps to be judicious in spotting KEEP letters so the TT lock isn't lit when you need to hit the elf ring. An alternate (better?) strategy is just to learn to deal with the nasty locks, and just start TT as many times as you can to stack against.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

5. Extra balls are still your friend

THIS! EB's key, get as many as possible.

A few more of my minor hints:

Practice Aragorn and Gimili as backhands. These can be slightly safer shots in tense situations.

A decent strategy is to medium strength shots to the ring ramp looking for dribbles into Bar Dur hole. Worst case you get lanes or, better yet Orthnac.

Holding right flipper up on slow rolls from the right orbit usually end in a fully controlled ball held on that flipper.

General tip is to play key shots from a fully stopped cradled ball. I fully control the ball for each DTR shot, relax and then shoot. Time not a factor, missing is a factor.

Lastly,

When playing for Valinor, set your game to one ball DTR. Nothing and I mean NOTHING worse than the magnet dropping the held ball on timeout when trying to start Valinor and ending up having to try to juggle the two loose balls, relock one and then DTR. Most likely you'll drain one and blow your attempt.

#62 8 years ago

Getting to valinor on one ball DTR should be PUNISHABLE BY DEATH imo. (ok, a little harsh, perhaps a nasty chinese burn?)

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Getting to valinor on one ball DTR should be PUNISHABLE BY DEATH imo. (ok, a little harsh, perhaps a nasty chinese burn?)

It's the same shots minus the nasty vagaries of mechanical malfunction. It's by no means a gimme to make a clean ring shot that circles back to the wireform where the final DTR shot is registered.

To each their own Just some friendly advice to save people aggravation. It's not like getting to Valinor isn't stressful enough..

By the way I've got my machine back on 2 ball DTR, so if I get near Valinor soon again, I'll probably be gritting my teeth hoping the magnet works correctly and doesn't decide to blow its fuse at a most inopportune moment!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

It's the same shots minus the nasty vagaries of mechanical malfunction. It's by no means a gimme to make a clean ring shot that circles back to the wireform where the final DTR shot is registered.
To each their own Just some friendly advice to save people aggravation. It's not like getting to Valinor isn't stressful enough..
By the way I've got my machine back on 2 ball DTR, so if I get near Valinor soon again, I'll probably be gritting my teeth hoping the magnet works correctly and doesn't decide to blow its fuse at a most inopportune moment!

I have even had "infrequent" problems with my sword lock pin malfunctioning during the post-DTR coil firing (only when I have it set to 2-ball) that once cost me Valinor. (I hit the penultimate DTR shot with Valinor qualified, only to have the !#$%! sword lock malfunction, and it skipped Valinor all together. Good thing the kids weren't in ear shot.)

Thankfully, that was not the first time to Valinor, otherwise I might have a smashed-in LOTR pin.

#65 8 years ago

Wow. Hearing you folks talk of this stuff is amazing. I've only made it to DTR a couple of times and never completed it yet. Only been playing for a couple of months and it is not like I play a bunch every day. I imagine I'll have this pin a VERY long time and never see what y'all are talking about. Even so, it is fun just knowing there is so much to this game!

#66 8 years ago

Hearing you guys talking about this makes me want LOTR. Time to sell that kidney!

#67 8 years ago

I love LOTR... a lot GOMEZ.jpg STERN.jpg GOLD.jpg ELVISH.jpg GAME.jpg

#68 8 years ago

All games considered, imo, its the best playing pinball ever made.

#69 8 years ago

Can Valinor be "beat"? I think it's just a very high scoring bonus round with no end, but can anyone say for sure?

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Can Valinor be "beat"? I think it's just a very high scoring bonus round with no end, but can anyone say for sure?

Not that I'm aware of

2 weeks later
#71 8 years ago

Arrrrrrrrgh! One shot from getting back to Valinor last night (DTR shot to knock the captured ball through the ring). After multiple seemingly perfect shots up the center ramp, one finally connected, but my ring magnet is too strong and grabbed both of them.

Ball search ensues, both balls drop out of ring, and I lose one of them before getting one back into the ring.

Sigh. Set my DTR back to one-ball.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Arrrrrrrrgh! One shot from getting back to Valinor last night (DTR shot to knock the captured ball through the ring). After multiple seemingly perfect shots up the center ramp, one finally connected, but my ring magnet is too strong and grabbed both of them.
Ball search ensues, both balls drop out of ring, and I lose one of them before getting one back into the ring.

Shame Snailman! Gives you something to play for tonight though!!

#73 8 years ago

No, Valinor cannot be "beat." Although, if you maxed supers and backstacked Gollum onto it with 2x running, I suppose you could get an 80M super. You can consider that "beating" it if it makes you feel better.

Actually the only final mode I've written that had an ending was probably on RFM.

#74 8 years ago

Have had my LE for nearly 2 years after buying it NIB.
After a string of mechanical issues, (left VUK, 2 x driver board transistors and multiple blown fuses), i actually left it dormant for over a year.
In the last 2 months, i decided to led it up, i now appreciate what another pinsider said, as it being one of the most magical play-fields on the market.
Deciding to put some time and effort into it, i now appreciate how deep this machine is.
I got the message "Valinor awaits you" last night, i did not get there and actually was not sure how i got to that point, knowing only that the game lasted about 45 minutes and my left wrist was aching.
My point is, after reading all the other posts, it is quite exciting, knowing that you may never reach Valinor and i think, that this is what sets these deep machines aside from most others.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from Leigh:

My point is, after reading all the other posts, it is quite exciting, knowing that you may never reach Valinor and i think, that this is what sets these deep machines aside from most others.

Yup. Even after getting it, as I have, getting there again is just as exciting, as you then have a new goal - actually do something with Valinor MB, instead of it ending super quick as you prematurely celebrate actually getting there.

I was only short beating Scratchy's revenge and starting AI in TSPP for the final (AI was lit, and is usually the easiest to do). This keeps me chomping at the bit to do it.

Keefer - you have done so much for pinball with your insanely deep rules - thank you.

#76 8 years ago

We sadly let our LOTR (and SM) go in order to pick up "dads favorite", but when we knew it was on it's way out we put rubber bands on the outlanes in order to make sure that one of us got to Valinor. It's cheating so I don't really count it, but almost three hours in and the entire family was around the table yelling when we (I) finally got there. Best 'ending' ever, I just wish someone would make a soundtrack mod for it... Something about putting in that much time and being so excited when you get there makes you wish you were rewarded with the original full 5.1 surround movie finale score playing during Valinor

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I love LOTR... a lot

That LOTR is tits!

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Ouch, Colin. How long was the game? If I recall, my journey to Valinor was upwards of a 90-minute game.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

No, Valinor cannot be "beat." Although, if you maxed supers and backstacked Gollum onto it with 2x running, I suppose you could get an 80M super. You can consider that "beating" it if it makes you feel better.
Actually the only final mode I've written that had an ending was probably on RFM.

Thanks! Always wondered about this. Your games rock Keith!

2 years later
#80 5 years ago

FINALLY!!! it took me over 2 years and lots of playing and questions, but I finally got there!! The last shot for DTR was about as nerve wracking as I could have ever imagined. I beat 'there and back' about 5 times this week (but not this game), so i knew my time was coming (fyi, pretty disappointing beating that part). 645,049,210. what a pinball game LOTR is. always has been my favorite and I think it always will be.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

FINALLY!!! it took me over 2 years and lots of playing and questions, but I finally got there!! The last shot for DTR was about as nerve wracking as I could have ever imagined. I beat 'there and back' about 5 times this week (but not this game), so i knew my time was coming (fyi, pretty disappointing beating that part). 645,049,210. what a pinball game LOTR is. always has been my favorite and I think it always will be.

Sweeeeet!!!!! Welcome to the club.

I Feel like people should get a trophy or T-shirt or whatever whenever they get to Valinor!!

And we'll give centerflank a participation trophy

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sweeeeet!!!!! Welcome to the club.
I Feel like people should get a trophy or T-shirt or whatever whenever they get to Valinor!!
And we'll give centerflank a participation trophy

I'm just going to rip off the participation label and write Valinor King with a sharpie.

#83 5 years ago

Got to there and back again but never Valimor. Great stuff as its a marathon machine. I miss mine but have replaced it along the way with some pretty cool machines.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

That's awesome. Congratulations!

#85 5 years ago

I can't brag about Valinor but I got this. Congrats sir.
image_(resized).jpeg

#86 5 years ago

"FINALLY!!! it took me over 2 years and lots of playing and questions,"...... I got some PM's asking if the '2 years' was for this one game! lol thought that was pretty funny.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside