20150420_201032_resized.jpg
20150420_202908_resized.jpg
20150420_201022_resized.jpg
20150101_134405_resized.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Valinor – DONE! 610,000,000 score, 11 gift from the elves.

I cannot believe I didn’t screw it up. I played another game earlier today, and like a lot of my games these days, I win TTT, FS, all 7 gifts, get to TTBA (won TTBA today for the third time, key is to get golem first before starting), and destroy the ring a couple times, but that bloody ROTK MB is what always kills me, as it is so much harder to do that the others.

My earlier score was short of ROTK, and 450M. I went down before dinner and played another. Nothing specially initially, and lost my first ball after I think the first mode. I can’t recall if I did the final DTR on the second or third attempt, I believe it was third, but I don’t recall doing FS more than twice, but so much going on. I kept playing (obviously), and on the final round I still didn’t have FS or ROTK beat, but gifts done, TTBA done, and I lit to start ROTK and FS almost at the same time. I went for ROTK first, and was flying. I mean it was like I was watching someone good play, it was awesome, blocking shots SDTM with held balls, hitting everything I aimed for, every MB was like this.

All of a sudden I heard the jackpot for ROTK, and right then for the first time ever I thought **“holy shit!! I have a shot!?!?!** I believe I actually lost out on it, and started it back up with golem MB.

I then went to FS, and knew I was only a shot or two away from beating that. It was four actually (two ramps, and two balrog hits). As soon as I heard the You Shall Not Pass, I nearly lost it, as I was trying to hold a ball, let the other drain, and go for a clear ring shot to start DTR. AGAIN, I can’t believe I didn’t lose due to nerves. My nerves are ridiculous.

Started DTR and man did that seem like it took forever, and I was shaky as hell the entire way through. I usually hit left ramp, than right orbit, then try to right ramp on the fly, and then the inner loop. I missed everything on this, but eventually got them. I was starting to even question in my mind if I had everything else done.

Once I locked the first ball in the ring (and maybe before that, I didn’t notice) the DTR large white insert wasn’t flashing, so I knew then I was there. Two shots missed pushing the ball through, but was lucky and had good holds, and boom, VALINOR!!!!!!

MINI SPOILER:

I’m not totally sure what was going on, so not much a of spoiler, but there is a TZ LITZ countdown of things lit and everything maxed, and ways to add a ball that I could see, but I didn’t get long enough to read (or care, I was there!).

Played that for a while as relaaaaaaaaaxed as one could be. Got around 40M on Valinor MB. When it started, I yelled to my wife and one daughter to come down, but neither did.... grrr.

Oh well, super pumped. I can’t believe I did this, I literally could not believe when Valinor was displayed on the screen.

Anyway, included shots of the score.

IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0003.JPG IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0001.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Of note, DTR time was not today, just included my best in the photos.

#3 11 years ago

Nice job! How long did the game take?

#4 11 years ago

YOU SHALL NOT... ever see that score again... awesome man.. that ROCKS still trying to do it myself... like I said before... it only takes 1 ball nice work

#5 11 years ago

Don't believe it. Valinor is a myth!

Seriously,....fantastic!!!!

Over a thousand games, don't believe I have been close.

#6 11 years ago

now sell it!

congrats, i might get there one day... one day....

#7 11 years ago

Damn, I feel like a pimp when I get TABA + DTR

Couldn't imagine Valinor (runs off to play his LOTR).

Congrats

#8 11 years ago

congrats Aaron!!

#9 11 years ago

I learned the key about 5 months ago is to always go for the tower skill shot and always shoot the tower when a ball falls in the left inlane. Getting to ROTK as quick as possible, as many times as possible is important, as it is the hardest thing.

I also don't try to keep hitting TTT MB over and over, as this gets harder to start, and thus having it ready if you get the other two done I find to be important. I already upped the defaults for most MB stuff, not sure if all, but I did for TTT as the locks were just too easy compared to the other MBs.

Obviously keeping golem MB available for after MBs is key as well. This has been my strategy for a while, and I'm glad it paid off.

I honestly can't tell you the feeling of seeing it. Hopefully I can get the TSPP one someday as well, but I'm been having crappy games of that lately.

Quoted from Pinballrus:

Nice job! How long did the game take?

Not as long as other long games I had. I'm not sure, my wife thinks about 80 minutes, given when she believes I went down to when I started yelling

#10 11 years ago

Congrats! I only played Valinor once.

#11 11 years ago

Congrats and welcome to the club. I got there for the first time about 1 month ago after owning this pin and playing it hundreds of times over the last 6 years...of course I had to switch it to 10 balls to finally get there

#12 11 years ago

Had it twice in one game... 3.5 hours and I was rooted after. Super wizard mode

#13 11 years ago

Nice job Atomicboy. Just curious, are set up for 3 ball play? What else have you changed from factory settings?

I only ask to see if I have a chance to get there on my 3 ball factory settings.

Thanks.

QSS

#14 11 years ago

Congratulations! Not an easy task, that's for sure! I was close a couple of times but never made it. Your post reminded me of setting my game to two-ball destroy the ring instead of the silly factory setting of 1 ball.

#15 11 years ago

Is 2 ball destroy the ring the way to go? I've only done it on 1 ball.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

It's actually harder, IMO. If you have any kind of weakness in your flippers, it makes 2-ball a nightmare lol. Once, I actually had the magnet grab BOTH balls and hold them up there, that was amusing. It eventually let them go when it ball searched and I was able to shoot the ring to finish it.

#17 11 years ago

It's much harder, as the ball goes into the hole much easier than knocking another one out. It takes a perfect shot. Also, sometimes the one held will fall out, and they you have to shoot the ring straight through while in a 2 ball MB, which is harder than one obviously.

Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Just curious, are set up for 3 ball play? What else have you changed from factory settings?

Even my EM is 3 ball. Everything else is default or higher. No additional balls after the default extras, specials do not give anything.

Again, TTT MB is set more difficult, as I don't like how you can unlock all three locks before even locking the first actual ball. I believe something on FS is harder as well, I can't recall. Nothing major, and of course adding orc MB to the beginning of FS, as otherwise is just wack.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

2 ball is the greatest mode in the history of pinball. And it is harder. You have to nut that ball perfectly....but it's worth it.

#19 11 years ago

2 ball is always the way I had mine too. Always set on 3 ball. Never got to see valinor. Congrats.

9 months later
#20 10 years ago

Owned my LoTR for 7 years and have been one shot away from valinor 3 times; and on the final dtr sequence 6 times; choked each time. Sold it to robT awhile back. Decided to go to his house Friday and play me some LoTR to see how much I missed the game; well...

Game #2
Ball #1
Time: 55 mins
Valinor achieved!
Drained out the remaining balls and ebs after cause I was tired lol

image.jpgimage.jpg

3 months later
#21 10 years ago

Man, just checking this again now? Why the hell would you drain out the rest of the balls when you did this on ball 1??? That is a once in a lifetime type game. Put on a pot of coffee, fire back and a couple yaggerbombs and go for the hills!

I've been on the doorstep three times since, once, I kid you not, the plastic above and to the right of the VUK broke, and landed in the vuk with the final DTR flashing. The ball got stuck in there, and couldn't cycle it out, I opened, and while removing the plastic, and putting everything back together, the ball drained, and I didn't have the coindoor open, last ball of course. I could have drowned a bag kittens I was so mad...

Another time I called my kids down to show them (as if they give a shit, I just needed a witness for once), they started fighting, and while telling them to shut up for the love od god, drain with final DTR again ready...

If I hadn't have already done it, I might have sold all my machines and left the hobby haha.

My top score now is 894m, not a Valinor though, but man was I killing a 2x scoring with a huge super ring multiball (whatever the 7th gift special mode is called), and some insane victory laps after other wins. I had one bonus in the range of 75m!

Come on, there must be more people who have heard the mystic sweet sweet valinor music - you know, not just in game over mode that is

1 year later
#22 9 years ago

Reached Valinor over the weekend. I have owned the game for 3 years, but wound up doing it on my brother's game while spending Xmas there. Happened around 12:30 in the morning, and I woke him up out of bed so he could see it. High score of 724 Million. He says he will be removing the batteries shortly.

#23 9 years ago

Excellent, I saw your brother's post about this in another thread. Well done. Take a photo of that before he does, if that is what he is going to do.

#24 9 years ago

So close to it again today, beat everything other than ROTK as usual. Needed only that by the second time through DTR, didn’t start it intentionally, and was able to load up and start again ROTK, but again, didn’t get far. Loaded it up again, but accidently started DTR... grrrr thought that was it.

Went through the MB’s again, didn’t finish it, same thing, loaded it up again and still didn’t get it for the 4th time...! Almost had it ready to go again by just concentrating on right ramp and left orbit (which it would I did the previous times when loading it up), but was on last ball by this time and drained out... Man, second best score ever, but so flipping close again to it.

Regardless, I can never get over how epic in all possible ways this machine is when playing it. There are strong arguments to be made that it is the greatest machine ever. I still say TAF is for me, but I wouldn’t be arguing too hard against anyone claiming LOTR is.

Here was today’s score:

20150101_134405_resized.jpg20150101_134405_resized.jpg

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Regardless, I can never get over how epic in all possible ways this machine is when playing it. There are strong arguments to be made that it is the greatest machine ever. I still say TAF is for me, but I wouldn’t be arguing too hard against anyone claiming LOTR is.

Here was today’s score:

Great score!

LOTR is a great pin, and if it isn't the greatest pin ever overall, I do think that it has the greatest ruleset ever. Epic is exactly the right word for it.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Great score!
LOTR is a great pin, and if it isn't the greatest pin ever overall, I do think that it has the greatest ruleset ever. Epic is exactly the right word for it.

Thanks. The gameplay is so exciting, and mixed with the rules, I think it is definitely the best Keefer game, not that TSPP isn't far behind, but all in all, LOTR just feels as awesome as watching some of the battle scenes when playing.

I'm getting very close to WPT and the KI. I had it all qualified yesterday except for the two point totals needed, but was very close. Did the WPT champ MB and the Poker Wizard MB, and finished with 339m. Very fun game there when you really get into it, but it does play a little dry for the first while after starting a new game.

#27 9 years ago

I have a pretty good game if I actually complete one of the modes. I've ever only completed all three main modes 5 or so times. I'm not the best player, but when you are doing good, it makes the game feel so much more awesome

#28 9 years ago

Congratulations to all Valinor Club members. I'm making a New Year's resolution to join the Club someday. Until then, I will just sit back, applaud, and thumbs up all of your respective accomplishments with deep admiration and envy.

3 months later
#29 9 years ago

The last couple games have been extremely close. I beat FOTR pretty much every game now, TTT is the easy one, and TABA almost every game, and in the last three games, I’ve beat ROTK each time, the last two times in the first try. I could feel Valinor coming again...

Tonight, #2! Took me one attempt for FOTR and TTT, but three for ROTK, got to TABA again twice AND beat it both times Final score 920M. My highest was 894 before, but was not a Valinor visit, so super pumped I did what I did.

20150420_201022_resized.jpg20150420_201022_resized.jpg
20150420_201032_resized.jpg20150420_201032_resized.jpg
20150420_202908_resized.jpg20150420_202908_resized.jpg

#30 9 years ago

Fantastic! Congratulations.

#32 9 years ago

Wow. I salute you.

#33 9 years ago

All of a sudden I feel the need to go and practice! Epic playing..

#34 9 years ago

A few years back with this and TSPP I was in “drone mode”, never expecting I’d ever get to the finals… thinking that was something only a handful of people do, and it’s more or less unachievable. I just played and played and played, and didn’t really focus. I had high scores, but never thought I could pull it all together.

Now, LOTR has a sequence, more or less the entire way through. Things are played with some order, as they have to be. Getting everything is one thing, but having it all done just prior to a DTR, compared to just after is a phenomenal difference in work. The way I’m playing this lately, I wonder if I will be lucky enough to score this more often.

I have to get back to concentrating on the KI now in WPT, the last of the “Keefer trifecta”.

5 months later
#35 8 years ago

The Valinor club just got a new member tonight! I just picked this game up 5 days ago and tonight I got it for the first time ever on any LOTR. Factory settings, no EBs for points or specials. I got it my second time through the multiballs. Only hold up the first time was the super jackpot on Fellowship MB and of course enough Elf gifts. Took me forever to get back to Fellowship MB as I needed Borromir and I couldn't get enough pop hits to light him and light the Fellowship MB again. I ended up getting 69 million and change in Valinor. What a rush! I beat Transformers really quickly when I got it and sold it fast, but I am hanging onto this one awhile. They don't make em like this anymore and it's such a fun game!

12039449_10206328852653156_1306539247414576485_n.jpg12039449_10206328852653156_1306539247414576485_n.jpg

#36 8 years ago

Congratulations!

#37 8 years ago

That's great!

Good job!

#38 8 years ago

I'm not suggesting I don't believe you, but man that is one hell of a feat to get there in just one week of owning it. If you don't enter tournaments already, you should. I'm a decent player, but can't even get to taba on my game, and I have point and special EBs. Destroying the ring I can do fairly regularly. Just curious as to where you set the outlanes, and not that it would matter a whole lot for you, mine are pretty open and I lose most of the balls out the left side.

I think you need to get a tspp. Huge challenge to get to the super duper mega extreme wizard mode, as tough or tougher than valinor. I've never seen it and I own it since 2003, I can't even get past alien invasion, though I can get there regularly.

I see you have rbion in your collection, have you beaten Atlantis and gotten to frog frenzy? That too would be very impressive.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'm not suggesting I don't believe you, but man that is one hell of a feat to get there in just one week of owning it. If you don't enter tournaments already, you should.

John's IFPA stats show he is a very good player. Also, I doubt this is the first time he has ever played or seen LOTR, but I could be wrong.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

John's IFPA stats show he is a very good player. Also, I doubt this is the first time he has ever played or seen LOTR, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm not doubting it, it's just really cool and amazing to do such a thing. I'll never see it...sigh.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I'm not suggesting I don't believe you, but man that is one hell of a feat to get there in just one week of owning it. If you don't enter tournaments already, you should. I'm a decent player, but can't even get to taba on my game, and I have point and special EBs. Destroying the ring I can do fairly regularly. Just curious as to where you set the outlanes, and not that it would matter a whole lot for you, mine are pretty open and I lose most of the balls out the left side.
I think you need to get a tspp. Huge challenge to get to the super duper mega extreme wizard mode, as tough or tougher than valinor. I've never seen it and I own it since 2003, I can't even get past alien invasion, though I can get there regularly.
I see you have rbion in your collection, have you beaten Atlantis and gotten to frog frenzy? That too would be very impressive.

John is a local Pinball god, skills way higher than the rest of us. I will say that i'm glad I don't have his skill. Pinball is more fun when you have that really great game and that game doesn't come around too often. I've had LOTR for 2-3 years now and i'm still finding random call outs and parts of modes i haven't seen before. It wouldn't be great for me to see it all in the first week of owning a game.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

John is a local Pinball god, skills way higher than the rest of us. I will say that i'm glad I don't have his skill. Pinball is more fun when you have that really great game and that game doesn't come around too often. I've had LOTR for 2-3 years now and i'm still finding random call outs and parts of modes i haven't seen before. It wouldn't be great for me to see it all in the first week of owning a game.

Thanks for the praise! I love playing pinball and I have a great time playing on route locally too. There are lots of good players around here and they are getting better all the time. We are lucky that we have a great area for pinball in the Twin Cities like we do. It was definitely not the first time I have ever played a LOTR. I have played LOTR a lot on route and I have done well on it before, so it definitely wasn't a new game to me. I will say though I learned a lot about the game I didn't know since I have had it. I knew I would get Valinor at some point, but I never expected to do it this soon. The outlanes were in the middle post and it was all factory settings, including the 2 ball destroy the ring where you have to knock it through instead of putting 1 ball through at a time. I still think the game has a lot more to offer, so I am keeping it. I bought a Transformers Pro not too long ago cause it was relatively cheap and I wanted to see Battle for Cybertron since I had played it on route a lot but never got to it. I ended up getting to it on the 7th game I played after I bought it, then I got through Battle for Cybertron on 1 ball in another game later on, so I knew TF had to go. LOTR is different though, much more to offer, and I doubt I will get back to Valinor with ease. I am going to set up a camera rig so I can get it on video when I do though.

I do have a RBION and I love it! One of my favorite games cause I like the theme and the game is tough. I have gotten to Atlantis several times now, but never Frog Frenzy. I think my best there is 1 super jackpot away. Even my high scoring games I never seem to hit a lot of super jackpots for whatever reason.

2 weeks later
#43 8 years ago

Almost made it tonight.

But could use a couple clarifications.

For FOTR/TTT/ROTK. Beating them means get a Super Jackpot?

Do I have to complete TABA? Or just start it?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Almost made it tonight.
But could use a couple clarifications.
For FOTR/TTT/ROTK. Beating them means get a Super Jackpot?
Do I have to complete TABA? Or just start it?

Super jackpots are needed to beat the mbs. You just need to start TABA, the mode just ends if you beat it, nothing special happens.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Super jackpots are needed to beat the mbs. You just need to start TABA, the mode just ends if you beat it, nothing special happens.

Thanks.

So the end is in site then.

I had FOTR/TTT/ROTK beat. 7 gifts. and played TABA.

Died trying to start DtR.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

You do get another elf gift if you beat TABA, as well as some pretty nice points along the way.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

You do get another elf gift if you beat TABA, as wells as some pretty nice points along the way.

For sure. The one time I completed it, I had Gollum stacked with it. Got some great points out of that.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Died trying to start DtR

Ouch. Of my just-missed almost-there Valinor trips, death usually happens during DTR as opposed to starting it. Granted, it doesn't sting as bad when you've already experienced Valinor, but just missing the ultimate prize still hurts and elicits some choice words.

#49 8 years ago

Played the other day and coined the game the Maxwell Smart excuse: "Missed it by that much."

Ball 2 everything is ready to go. Final shot up the ramp to knock the trapped ball out of the ring is a smidge off and it rattles 1/2 way up the ramp, u turns and drains. Back to one ball play and a long way to go.

Ended up with 756 MIL after playing some more with the earned extra balls, but by that point getting back to DTR was a ridiculous grind, especially earning the double Boromir insert to qualify FOTR, and the TTT locks are disappearing left and right. The DTR rule for Valinor is woodchopping to the extreme if you fail to DTR when everything is ready for Valinor.

Final gift total was 13 and a LONG evening. Too bad I couldn't trade in a gift or two for a mulligan shot on that ramp

#50 8 years ago

I hope to be in the club soon. Only can play on a public machine, and there are no rubbers on the outlanes so lots of drains, however I have gotten everything except for ROTK (on level 7 when I drained it) and the final DTR.....also it is set to 4 EB max with no EB for special or points...... If I do make it, the nice thing is that there will be employees I will be screaming at to grab their cameras while its happening haha

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/valinor-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.