image_(resized).jpeg
GAME.jpg
ELVISH.jpg
GOLD.jpg
STERN.jpg
GOMEZ.jpg
photo.JPG
IMG-20130504-00011.jpg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I finally did it!! I MADE IT TO VALINOR!!!

Ever since owning my LOTR (about a year and a half) it has been a constant battle. I have made it pretty close a number of times, within a few shots, but I have always bottled it.

Well yesterday I settled in for a game and it was going like most of the games I have, completed two towers on the first time of asking but the other two I didn't make much progress on, destroyed the ring. Second time through, made more progress on FOTR, maybe 6 of them across, similar on ROTK, maybe level 6, destroyed the ring again. Then pretty quickly made it through TABA and had 7 gifts of the elves, including killing the witch king which I had never done before!

Now this is the point that I normally drain, unable to make it back through the multiballs for the third time, i'm just not very efficient.

But yesterday I lit the multiballs back up with relative ease, completed TT again, and then started FOTR almost immediately, made a few shots, was very quickly down to 2 balls, the left ball was heading for the outlane and out but with the other one i quickly managed to shoot balrog just in time to complete FOTR. So, just ROTK to go. Again, managed to start it quite quickly and this time my shot making was good and I completed it with 3 balls still in play.

This is when I thought I was going to completely blow it, especially as I had already completed DTR twice. But I managed to make clean shots and Destroyed the Ring. When the music started and the display came up with Valinor Multiball I was going nuts, shouting for my brother to come and see, alas no one was in the house! It's a cool mode.

Played on for quite a long time after as that was only on ball 2, managed to complete all the gifts again. My previous best was 393 million, it was a day that I had been waiting for what seemed like forever!

IMG-20130504-00011.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Wow!! That is almost better than my personal best of 67million.

I don't know how you guys do it. I'm only a couple months into pinball ownership and play and am loving every minute of it but I simply don't score well or progress much on anything yet. No worries though, I just have fun turning on those babies and flippin' away.

I love to read stories like this. Thanks for sharing and thanks for going into the details.

Have a great one and I hope you reach it again soon.

Darin

#3 8 years ago

Congrats. Long road there and back again?

#4 8 years ago

Welcome to the club!

Getting there and my 4 litz TZ game are my two greatest achievements to date.

#5 8 years ago

Congratulations!!! That quest takes a sure and steady hand. That game is so good with its rules. I've been at mine over a year and I'm not even close to it yet. Thank goodness there are smaller objectives along the way like DTR to keep it interesting.

#6 8 years ago

Congrats! I've owned mine for 9 years and never made a score that high or Valinor multiball. That's quite an achievement.

#7 8 years ago

Welcome to the club. Been there myself. Once and only once. Took 1 1/2 hours to do it, which limits the opportunities.

#8 8 years ago

Well done Craig

#9 8 years ago

That's awesome! Welcome to the club!

Enjoy your glory

#10 8 years ago

I've had mine for 9 years too, and I've never even gotten close to Valinor. I'm tempted to take the glass off and start it. I'll give it one more year...

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I've had mine for 9 years too, and I've never even gotten close to Valinor. I'm tempted to take the glass off and start it. I'll give it one more year...

You'll appreciate it more if you earn it.

If it is too far out of reach on factory, set the game at 10 balls, difficulty to easy, and move the inlanes all the way in (or whatever settings you desire) and at least PLAY the game and achieve it. That way you can say you reached Valinor and NOBODY can take that achievement from you regardless of how the game was set up.

Reaching a wizard mode in a game with the glass on ALWAYS trumps taking the glass off and pressing switches

#12 8 years ago

Congrats, this is my 1 time getting there, it's the greatest game I have ever played on a pinball machine. I couldn't miss this night.

photo.JPG

#13 8 years ago

If I ever get to vallinor I will die a happy man. I think I would need ten balls and I think that would be like a hour plus game. Love the game very much but sometimes the ball times are jet insane, scared to play two players on it, the wait is so long.

#14 8 years ago

I had this on 7 balls, you would have to be a tournament type player to even scratch the surface of Valinor to get there. I straight out am not a great player, this was simply a night where all the shots went where they where supposed to. I haven't come close since.
Chris

#15 8 years ago

Wow! Congratulations!

2 years of ownership for me, and I've never even completed TABA. 293,000,000 here.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks for all the congrats guys, it certainly felt like a momentous occasion and certainly one of the best moments I have felt playing pin. I remember when Nick (mufcmufc) wrote saying that he had achieved it and vowed that I would do it also (it was actually the same as completing to super hero on spidey Nick always manages to give me that incentive some how!

This game was on directors cut, 3 ball.

Fantastic game, perhaps the best ever

#17 8 years ago

CONGRATS!

I consider getting to Valinor my greatest pinball accomplishment. I can't think of a more challenging objective (other than TSPP's super duper whatever). I was so nervous when I started DTR to get to Valinor that I started shaking.

Awesome score! My GC score after getting to Valinor was "only" 590 million. I didn't do well once I actually got to Valinor.. I think I was just too satisfied with actually having got there!

Again, great job!

#18 8 years ago

Congrats!!! That is an incredible score!

Now... Put the glass back on.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Wow! Congratulations!
2 years of ownership for me, and I've never even completed TABA. 293,000,000 here.

A very helpful tactic is to start Gollum MB just before starting TABA. Have to start it in that order. Doesn't work the other way.

#20 8 years ago

Awesome

#21 8 years ago

Congrats! Welcome to the club.
And very impressed that you played we'll after getting there. I've always had incredible let-downs after Valinor.

#22 8 years ago

Congratulations! Not an easy task by no means!

#23 8 years ago

I've had my LOTR since 2009. Valinor is a never ending quest for me. Congrats dude! I am SOOOO jealous right now!

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#24 8 years ago

Very impressive, never did it. I just finished my best game. 159 mil, destroyed the ring twice in the game ( a first for me), first time in 50 sec, second time in an ugly 1:42. I was on the last mode, and drained...ugh! I have it set on 3 ball.

What happens when you have started all the modes (that is, all the lights on the ring are lit)? Do you have to complete them, does it start over? I had all lit, but one was flashing.

#25 8 years ago

Valinor?

No such thing

Congrats & damn you Scuba Steve

#26 8 years ago

I couldn't do that with the glass off

#27 8 years ago

Congratulations on such a feat! I feel lucky to get a gift from the elves.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What happens when you have started all the modes (that is, all the lights on the ring are lit)? Do you have to complete them, does it start over? I had all lit, but one flashing.

You get to one of the mini wizard modes, it's
called there and back again

#29 8 years ago

WOW!
I am closer to walking on the Moon than seeing Valinor.

1 week later
#30 8 years ago

Congrats, man! That's an incredible score you got as well. I have never seen anyone get to that mode, or say they have reached it.

#31 8 years ago

congratss man,great story,...sounds like a mission and a half....

#32 8 years ago

A great accomplishment on the greatest pinball machine ever period!

I've got a 3 yr plan to get there...

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LOL! Ah, those of us in corporate America are all laughing.

#34 8 years ago

Congrats Roadshow16!
Maybe next time run the video camera so we all can learn your methods.
Quite an accomplishment !

#35 8 years ago

Congrats, man! That is truly an incredible achievement. I've only made it through 2 DTRs three times and have never been close to Valinor. I probably never will since I have yet to beat the Witch King.

Maybe it's time for me to crank it up to 10 balls on Easy mode.

#36 8 years ago

Awesome! I admittedly did it with glass off right before i sold it. Had to seewhat it was all about!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Been there, done that, failed miserably

#38 8 years ago

Awesome achievement! Makes me fired up to get on the ball with my LOTR.
Been spending too much time with Tron.

#39 8 years ago

Valinor is the ultimate ultimate! Congrats!!

#40 8 years ago

Congrats to the OP. I was close many times too (once only 1 shot away that was a heartbreaker) before finally nailing it. I remember screaming for the whole family to come watch me play it.

To those trying to achieve it, here are some tips.

1. Learn to shoot the left orbit with precision, it's probably the most important shot in the game. Always try to keep Palantir lit. The add-a-ball is key to help finishing the multiballs. This shot also gets you to POTD to collect souls, which is the inevitable grind you have to do to win ROTK multiball.

<big gap>

2. Try to finish TT multiball in 2 tries. After the third (I think) DTR, you start getting nasty KEEP locks. Better not to have to deal with these when trying to qualify a DTR to start Valinor.
3. Try to win at least two modes early to have enough elf gifts without having to play TT too many times. Escape Ringwraiths can be won on it's own. Ents, Shelob, Sauraman, Wargs (IMO that order) are great for stacking with a multiball to win. Getting gifts also earns you an important extra ball to bank.
4. Try to keep Gollum multiball lit until you start a multiball (especially ROTK). Shooting this shot even in the grace after you drain to one ball will stack Gollum and keep the multiball alive.
5. Ring multiball also allows you to win an extra ball and should be banked.
6. Don't waste energy over playing multiballs you've already won or TABA (unless stacked to win a mode). You need the goals not the points.

Valinor mostly comes down to a grind to win ROTK multiball before you either

A. Get too tired. Thirty+ minute intense games get hard to sustain towards the goal
B. Have to deal with Nasty KEEP locks to qualify TT multiball for DTR gate to Valinor. It's not impossible by any stretch, but harder when you factor in A. without making mistakes.
C. Run out of balls

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Valinor is the ultimate ultimate! Congrats!!

For me SDMEWM is the ultimate ultimate. Still working on that one...

#42 8 years ago

Closest I've come is one shot away from Valinor. Game lasted over an hour easily. I was exhausted, my blood pressure and pulse were way up, and in the end I was pissed to high heaven. I didn't play the game for 2 months after that. I love LOTR, but the thing I hate the most about it is how long ROTK multiball takes to complete. My other gripe is the POTD call-outs get too repetitive and unnecessary. Eventually grates on my soul like the Cryptkeeper call-outs on my TFTC, which I haven't played in about a year. I'll eventually make another run at Valinor, but it's hard lately to find 1-2 hours to play anything.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

I can see me eventually doing Valinor at least once, but SDMEWM is by far the toughest to get. I've been fairly close with that one too, but my game is ridiculously hard to lock balls on (and I need to have time for that one too). I love it when Pretzel multiball and a few of the less common modes come up. Usually I forget to glance up at the DMD to see the puzzle piece added.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I've had my LOTR since 2009. Valinor is a never ending quest for me. Congrats dude! I am SOOOO jealous right now!

Don't feel too bad, I have had mine since 2003, tickled it a few times but have yet to make it.

Congrats Roadshow16! Someday I'll join you!

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

Congrats, man! That is truly an incredible achievement. I've only made it through 2 DTRs three times and have never been close to Valinor. I probably never will since I have yet to beat the Witch King.
Maybe it's time for me to crank it up to 10 balls on Easy mode.

Beating the witch king isn't a requirement, or at least I don't think it is, to make it to valinor. Thanks for all the congrats, I actually found out the day after I made it to valinor that I have a place at IFPA10 in Germany at the end of this month, it was a couple of good days!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from roadshow16:

Beating the witch king isn't a requirement, or at least I don't think it is, to make it to valinor.

Correct, it is not a requirement.

#47 8 years ago

Is completing TABA a requirement, or just starting it?

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Just starting. I have let TABA timeout on serious attempts. Not worth risking draining completely and losing a ball.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Ill buy that. IM nota huge fan of TSPP but I want to play the ruleset so ill prolly end up getting one.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

TABA does not have to be completed, but doing so does reward one of the requisite elf gifts, which, along with beating all the multiballs, is the requirement.

The two hardest elements to Valinor (IMO) are:
* beating ROTK multiball
* the fact that Valinor can only be started with a successful DTR round. You could have everything else done, but choke there, meaning that all 3 MB would have to be requalified and played out.

Fantastic effort on the firmware by Keefer, and WOZ looks to be similar.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside