20170130_205119 (resized).jpg
20170130_054026 (resized).jpg
20170129_190440 (resized).jpg
20170129_190514 (resized).jpg
20170123_202345 (resized).jpg
20170123_202351 (resized).jpg
20170123_202405 (resized).jpg
20170101_095850 (resized).jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

The one I have has some cracks, and being that it's 26 years old, it's looking its age. So I decided to make a mold and vacuum form myself a new one. Actually, I had a friend make the mold and vacuum form it for me while I work on his Kiss machine. Favor for a favor. We just need to smooth out the mold a bit to clean up some edges but here are some pics of the first forms. The original is on the right in the pictures. I hand painted the first sample. This weekend I plan on buying an airbrush kit to get better results with the paint.

Brian

stationform1web.jpgstationform1web.jpg stationform2web.jpgstationform2web.jpg stationform3web.jpgstationform3web.jpg stationform4web.jpgstationform4web.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Awesome!
The original station toy is pretty flimsy and seems to always be broken. Mine is beat to crap and cracked up.
Any chance you and/or your buddy will make a few for sale?

#4 10 years ago

We will need to work on the mold a little bit too smooth out the areas in the clear windows. We also need to experiment with different thicknesses and types of plastics. Plus, I think planetary holds the license, so I would have to talk with them about selling anything they hold a license on. Once I have a true product that's as good/better then the original the plan is to approach them and find out what can be done. I'd want to do things right so that everybody wins.

Brian

#5 10 years ago

Awesome work!

#6 10 years ago

You know you can just give them away for free just have high shipping rates.

#7 10 years ago

That is dope

1 week later
#8 10 years ago

test unit in the machine.

sp1.jpgsp1.jpg sp2.jpgsp2.jpg sp3.jpgsp3.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Freakin awesome!!!

#10 10 years ago

Looks sweet! Hope to play a game tomorrow.

#13 10 years ago

Outstanding work bpull!

#14 10 years ago

Looks really good. Do you paint it from the outside or inside? If from the inside you could put some decals on the inside before you paint like an American flag or something, snaz it up a bit, even put a light in it that's hooked up to a flasher or something. Make it do something instead of just letting it sit there. Or does it light up all ready?

#15 10 years ago

Thx wombat

Hi Mustangpaul,
they do get painted from the inside. I had some thoughts of putting the NASA symbol on it but an american flag will look great too. Thinking that maybe a water slide decal would work best on the outside. I also want to add a light some how. the trick is the station can, and does turn 360 degrees, so you couldn't have any wires running to it or they would snap off. You would need some sort of contact fingers.

#16 10 years ago

Go to ebay's industrial section and search 'slip rings'. You can get the assemblies straight out of China for less than $20. I'm not familiar with the game or the part you are making, so I don't know if you have room for one.

Part looks good. Hope the license holder decides to play nice.

Bill

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Go to ebay's industrial section and search 'slip rings'. You can get the assemblies straight out of China for less than $20. I'm not familiar with the game or the part you are making, so I don't know if you have room for one.
Part looks good. Hope the license holder decides to play nice.
Bill

Thanks Bill,
Those are exactly the type of design I was thinking.

Brian

4 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

O.K., bpull was extremely generous and sent me a prototype station.
Material is thinner but more flexible and resilient than the original.
Some very minor waves. I think it looks great! Thanks Brian!

20130623_175231.jpg20130623_175231.jpg 20130623_175223.jpg20130623_175223.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Nice work that looks great.

#20 10 years ago

Exceptional Job!

You and your friend have a new career!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

O.K., bpull was extremely generous and sent me a prototype station.
Material is thinner but more flexible and resilient than the original.
Some very minor waves. I think it looks great! Thanks Brian!

Thanks for posting RCA, Glad you like it.

#22 10 years ago

cant it be filled with epoxy or a resin to make it more solid?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

It probably could. But I think that it might be more durable with a little "give" to it in case of ball hits. I think a more rigid piece might crack more easily. Seems like the original was cracked because it started to get "stiff" with age. It's not "flimsy" thin, just thinner than original.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

We are going to make a few in a two part clear resin to see how it'll turn out. I'll be sure to post a few pictures. Hopefully that will happen this week. Hard to work on pins when it's so nice outside!

Brian

#25 10 years ago

or fill them with something a little more elastic like rubber cement or some kind of silicone caulking.
are familiar with dry brush painting? you paint the darker layer first then the lighter over it, if you used black first then maybe a grey then dry brushed over it with white it might give it a more death star look. Oh dry brush you get the brush wet with paint then whipe most of it off till it barely lays down color, I used to do this for painting warhamer 40k figures then clear to seal the paint so it wont flake off.

#26 10 years ago

I wish someone could make the ramp for Space Station.

#27 10 years ago

That looks really good. I'm gonna be restoring one shortly. My game is beat to heck. We're installing a diamond plate nos playfield, this one is rare, no Mylar and white as a ghost. were gonna have to do the cabinet too. I will take one of these in a second. I need one bad, both of the ones I got are blown out. The ramp is much needed too. This (space station) is one of the most prominent pieces in the game. Todd

#28 10 years ago

I just check out Space Station on the IPD (I've never seen one in person). I think that a replacement ramp done in clear acrylic would be cool, lest the ramp hides a bunch of ugly stuff.

#29 10 years ago

<blockquote cite="#952136"
are familiar with dry brush painting? you paint the darker layer first then the lighter over it, if you used black first then maybe a grey then dry brushed over it with white it might give it a more death star look. Oh dry brush you get the brush wet with paint then whipe most of it off till it barely lays down color, I used to do this for painting warhamer 40k figures then clear to seal the paint so it wont flake off.
Thanks for the painting tips Skill_shot.

Quoted from browne92:

I just check out Space Station on the IPD (I've never seen one in person). I think that a replacement ramp done in clear acrylic would be cool, lest the ramp hides a bunch of ugly stuff.

The ramp does hide the motor assembly for the station and a kicker coil. My ramp was beat to hell and I had to use Ed Cheung's repair "guide" to fix it. I think it came out pretty good. I'll have to post pictures of that later.

Brian

1 month later
#30 10 years ago

just a quick update. I was hoping to get a second run of the station with a better/clear center window. We wanted to remake a better mold but it'll have to wait a few because my friend is in the middle of working another tv show and the project had to be put on the back burner.(they pay a little better than I do ) Although now that I know how to make these molds I may try one myself. He did leave me some supplies to give it a shot. That's the best way to learn and gain experience. Jump right in with both feet!

station2.jpgstation2.jpg

#31 10 years ago

GL. It needs little windows maybe pin holes would be scale and let light through. Could you fill it with plaster as a mold then add detail before you vacuum seal another?

5 months later
#32 10 years ago

Hi Guys,
Not much of an update here because life has gotten in the way a little but I wanted to introduce the guy that helped me make the mold for this. His name is Danny Phillips and he will be on season six of Faceoff. Here is his profile if anybody likes and watches the show. I know I'll be cheering him on. The first show of the new season is Tuesday 1-14.

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/contestants/daniel_phillips

Brian

6 months later
#33 9 years ago

Working on the new mold. Hopefully I'll have some new and better stations formed this weekend.

20140811_232322.jpg20140811_232322.jpg
2 months later
#34 9 years ago

The new and improved Vacuum forms are made and I'll be making a few test stations this weekend. Fingers crossed!

20140928_211442.jpg20140928_211442.jpg 20140929_190933.jpg20140929_190933.jpg
#35 9 years ago

Excellent!

3 weeks later
2 weeks later
#37 9 years ago

Hello there I have recently purchased a williams space station and the actaul space station is missing, did you ever get around to producing these? if so are they still available? or could you point me in the correct direction of where i might be able to pick one of these up?

Thanks and great work its a great thread there are some talented people out there.

tony

#38 9 years ago

Hi Tony, hopefully I'll have some very soon. I know I keep saying this so I apologize to everyone that's been waiting. I'm trying to get the best possible results.
Brian

20141026_154401.jpg20141026_154401.jpg
4 months later
#39 8 years ago

Hello Brian hope your well, I was wondering if you've made any progress on these space stations? I'm thinking about putting part of a star trek deep space 9 model there as it looks real empty without anything there?
I don't suppose you have one laying around? Even if it's a prototype that your not happy with?
Thanks tony

#40 8 years ago

Hi Tony, (I posted this in the other thread so I just copied my reply here also.)

I have been planning and trying to make some more but life has been crazy busy and pinball has taken a bit of a back seat since my wife and I adopted a baby a year ago this May. But now that things are somewhat returning to normal (as in sleep) I'm finding more time to work on things and I hope to get some more of these out real soon.
sorry it's been taking so long everybody,
Brian

1 week later
#41 8 years ago

Small update. I've been having issues with getting the clear windows in the middle to form flat and clear with the molds I have. So I'm going to try a different approach. I made a new mold with that area open. I'll be forming a few tonight and report back how they look.
Brian

20150512_100444.jpg20150512_100444.jpg

1 week later
#42 8 years ago

Just a small update, the new mold is very promising. Now I need to test out some thicker material. I'm so glad the long weekend is coming up so I can monkey around with this some more and get this project finished!

Brian

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Just a small update, the new mold is very promising. Now I need to test out some thicker material. I'm so glad the long weekend is coming up so I can monkey around with this some more and get this project finished!
Brian

The station is held onto the diverter by the flat clear part so how would yours be held on?

#44 8 years ago

it would still have the clear part. Basically the same looking part. With the old mold I was having trouble pulling this section down nice and flat. With it open now, it draws down really nice. I was concerned with the holes of the former making dimples in this area but I can block those off so that it doesn't happen.

1 month later
#46 8 years ago

I will update everybody on the progress of the stations by this weekend 7/4. I'll either have a bunch made and ready to go, or all my hair will be pulled out and I'll throw in the towel! At which point I'll send my molds to Freeplay40 and have him pump them out. He's done a great job with the ramps so far!

1 week later
#48 8 years ago

Getting closer....these new molds are getting better results for sure. Had a crease in this sample but the plastic is nice and clear looking. Still need to get more definition on the top.

20150706_191822.jpg20150706_191822.jpg

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Getting closer....these new molds are getting better results for sure. Had a crease in this sample but the plastic is nice and clear looking. Still need to get more definition on the top.

20150706_191822.jpg

More holes where the top is, so it's sucked down better?

#50 8 years ago

Great job

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vacuum-formed-my-own-space-station and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.