Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN1057_(resized).JPG
DSCN1056_(resized).JPG
anigif_enhanced-21149-1404228685-16_(resized).png
11891394_983595131662194_6641461433354938659_o_(resized).jpg
11930899_991369687551405_2705072198166690581_o_(resized).jpg
3004_20120420_Crown_Lager_POS_group_S_LR_(resized).jpg
DSCN3674_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160102_192831382_HDR_(resized).jpg
Thailand_Krabi_Railay_Beach_Railay_Bay_Resort_4614_1_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

With RZ wrapping up and negotiating a slight break between seasons of my show, I finally have some time off I can take in February.

Problem is I haven't planned anything, as usual. I've been looking at Homeaway.com as a friend of mine has used it quite a bit with great results, but haven't settled on any destinations.

The parameters are:

1) Traveling alone, so no place filled with couples / families or too dangerous to go alone

2) I have a passport, but nothing with too much jet lag

3) Budget isn't an issue (thanks AMH buyers!)

4) More relaxing than crazy, part of this is to try and lower my blood pressure (I'll save my drinking for all the conventions)

5) No snow (which was Wisconsin up until a week ago

6) Time off is Jan 30-Feb 18th, and Feb 19th I have to be in Charleston, SC which I haven't ruled out as a destination in general

Thoughts? I'd be fine with just a cabin rental if I knew there'd be no snow. Also I kind of want to throw things in lava.

#2 3 years ago

No lava, but consider the island of San Pedro off Belize. It is warm, the water is crystal clear, and it has a good number of ex patriots and permanent residents so it isn't overly filled with couples. You can rent a cabana on the beach.

If you did not say relaxing I would have said Cancun as it has better food options and more to do.

Wanting to throw things in lava is outside my experience area, I've never seen active lava flowing anywhere and wouldn't know where to go to see that outside of Hawaii and the pacific rim islands all of which are long flights.

#3 3 years ago

Beach bungalow on the island of KoPhangan Thailand.

I don't know what your definition of "Crazy" is.

Otherwise I'd suggest Tunisia to go on a Star Wars pilgrimage (stay in Luke Skywalker's house for $7 a night!) but that might be outside the comfort zone.

#4 3 years ago

If you are looking for something a bit out of the ordinary, Capetown in South Africa is awesome. And it's summer there now, so no snow

Stay at the beautiful Victoria&Albert waterfront, make a day trips to tabletop mountain and cape of good hope (both places are so beautiful). Visit the wineries, SA wines are nice, and enjoy great food (seafood and game like Kudu and Springbok). Feeling adventurous, make a cage dive among the great white sharks. And to top things off, take a safari to see wildlife face to face, you don't ever want to go to a zoo after that.

Hawaii is nice too, and there's lava there...

#5 3 years ago

If you want a no stress laid-back vacation, go to Hawaii. Especially if you are on a relaxed budget.

#6 3 years ago

I was born and raised on the Isle of Palms off the coast of Charleston, SC. I still live in Charleston. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

#7 3 years ago

Kauai can be nice. I have a homeaway acct. pm me.

#8 3 years ago

Costa Rico!

#9 3 years ago

go camping in Big Sur.Its about 2 hrs from SF incase you wanna do pinball.You could fly into SFO see the PP museum in Alameda then drive down to Big Sur.Sorry don't have any links to share but you know your way round the net.I did this 3 years ago and had a blast.Good times.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Kahanaohana:

Kauai can be nice. I have a homeaway acct. pm me.

That would be my choice Ben, you've got lave, it's warm, beach, and a Pinside friend to show ya all the cool spots.

#11 3 years ago

I would look for an all inclusive resort in Mexico or further south. It will be warm and tough to beat a nice beach with drink in hand for relaxing. Hawaii is super nice but long flight. Florida is a personal fav but more so in summer.

#12 3 years ago

Seychelles.

image_(resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

Tiger law has nice idea. We did Caye Caulker which is next to San Pedro... Small, no crime, snorkelling, nice weather and relaxing for sure.

#14 3 years ago

Cuba is fun

I was in Cuba for a week this past summer and had a great time. There are some really nice places, Havana was great to walk around. Plus, you could see all the "mcguyverisms" used to keep the old classic american cars running.

#15 3 years ago

Panama....Coronado beach. Same reasons as San Pedro Belize but less bugs and better hospital if God forbid you need it.

#16 3 years ago

Tortola, in the British Virgin Islands
Fly to St Thomas take a ferry over to Tortola.

Take a day trip to the soggy dollar bar, on jost van dyke,best beach bar in the world!

#17 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

image_(resized).jpg

And for Island life there's Ford Island (reachable by car/walking) or Zug Island by boat / garbage scow.

#19 3 years ago

Hawaii sounds awesome and I like the idea of throwing things in lava too. Hope you have a fun time on vacation Mr. Heck. You seem to work hard.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

image_(resized).jpg

Just like Chicago has rough areas Detroit has them as well. Detroit is coming back in a big way. I've worked in downtown Detroit for the past 8 years and in those eight years a lot has already changed. Detroit's comeback is real and it has momentum. Don't knock it.

Looks pretty scary...

a6b5b4a27e5b440e571cb4d668579153_(resized).jpg
detroit-riverwalk-2_(resized).jpg

Back on topic, another vote for Hawaii here I've been to Ohau, the "Big Island" of Hawaii and Maui. All are incredible in there own way but if I could pick one I would recommend Maui. Kaui is next on the Hawaiian island list for my wife and I. All 3 islands are easily the most relaxing places I've ever visited.

#21 3 years ago

There's Hawaii, preferably Maui

And then everything else is a distant second

#22 3 years ago

Went to Akumal Mexico, stayed at Half Moon Bay it was great.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Definitely. I can't wait to go back. There's so much to do on Maui as well. Snorkeling at Molokini crater, traveling to the top of Mt. Haleakala (volcano!), the "Road to Hana", visiting Lahaina, taking a helicopter tour, and much more.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Definitely. I can't wait to go back. There's so much to do on Maui as well. Snorkeling at Molokini crater, traveling to the top of Mt. Haleakala (volcano!), the "Road to Hana", visiting Lahaina, taking a helicopter tour, and much more.

You guys are making me want to go.

#25 3 years ago

I'd suggest checking out a cruise. I am also someone who feels the need to constantly move-move-move, and although I haven't been on one recently (we were supposed to go on one for our honeymoon, but there is a LONG story about how we didn't, and hell, I've been married for seemingly forever so that doesn't count anyway...) the one that I went on I wasn't overly looking forward too.

They do everything for you. You just sit around relaxing, traveling to various places and whatnot while they feed you. You can probably get a good price break being pretty close and in the off season for it.

If I was traveling by myself just trying to relax, I would definitely go there.

I'd put Costa Rica as a second. I did that recently with my family, although I feel like you need to know a little bit about the area before doing it. Also, if you don't want to be stressed you have to make sure you don't drive. Once you get to where ever you are going though, that place is about as relaxing as humanly possible. Although you can't throw stuff in the volcanoes there, you can hike around them.

#26 3 years ago

I'd like to get to Fiji for a vacation this year but Latin America is on the bucket list too

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I'd put Costa Rica as a second. I did that recently with my family, although I feel like you need to know a little bit about the area before doing it. Also, if you don't want to be stressed you have to make sure you don't drive.

There are a lot of thieves in Costa Rica. They prey on tourists. Mainly pickpockets and walking off with anything you set down, phones, cameras, purses etc. Watch what you leave in your hotel room too depending on if you're in a resort or stand-alone hotel.

#28 3 years ago

I second the cruise idea! Unpack once, get a sampling of port cities you might want to vacation in another time. No food prep. Activities planned in case you need something to do, plenty of quiet places on board if you just want to Veg. Also, your bed rocks you to sleep. Just pick where you want to cruise to!

image_(resized).jpeg

#29 3 years ago

I vote for Maui as well. Heaven on Earth. Worth every penny and you can always take a short trip to the big island to throw things in lava

#30 3 years ago

If you decide to go to another Hawaiian island, if you need advice let me know. I live on Kauai but spend part of the year on each island and have done just about everything there is to do here. If you want a real thrill Ill take you out on my 2 man kayak to the drop off and catch a pelagic for a ride and adrenaline rush.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Panama....Coronado beach. Same reasons as San Pedro Belize but less bugs and better hospital if God forbid you need it.

Or, if your not a beach person try Boquete, Panama. It's the mountains of panama. Beautiful year round at a 72 degrees with few bugs. Tons of things to do. Very reasonable prices. Probably a 5hr flight for you.

#32 3 years ago

Phi-Phi Island, Thailand ( norther part of island ) no roads, pure joy.
OR
Anywhere in Australia, GODS COUNTRY

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The parameters are:

Your parameters sound like my back yard. Probably why I never feel the need to go away on vacation.

Cabo San Lucas and that area are very nice this time of year. Especially if you like to catch big fish or go surfing.

#34 3 years ago

loved it. great hikes--got bum-rushed by a family of wild boars, beaches, mini-grand canyon, waterfalls...those effing roosters though wtf???

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

loved it. great hikes--got bum-rushed by a family of wild boars, beaches, mini-grand canyon, waterfalls...those effing roosters though wtf???

chickens? what chickens? besides pinball,surfing, and fishing I have another hobby. pushing 50ft lbs almost silent. No chickens around here.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Kahanaohana:

No chickens around here.

unless there was a massive chicken hunt, those things were everywhere! I wouldn't have cared if it weren't for their "morning" calls which happen at any time of day or night as far as I could tell....maybe they introduced snakes to the island to kill them. It's been a few years.

#37 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

RE: Hawaii, have been there twice, so I'm good. Neat stuff, but not the best place for a Pasty White Irish Guy (tm)

#38 3 years ago

Had a blast twice at Hawaii... enjoy!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

RE: Hawaii, have been there twice, so I'm good. Neat stuff, but not the best place for a Pasty White Irish Guy (tm)

I was about to second the "anywhere in Australia" suggestion, until the pasty white comment

#40 3 years ago

Rotterdam

Weak euro
Great city and architecture
Best cheese and huge selection
Great beer and nightlife
Pretty Dutch girls
Pinball museum
Everyone there speaks English

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If you are the history and art type, Rome and Venice were pretty sweet. This pasty white Irish dude enjoyed visiting.

Jet lag did suck some but the late night TV in Italy is pretty entertaining.

#42 3 years ago

You need two weeks at Camp SS Billiards.

LTG : )

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

...is what you say if you've never been to Kauai.

Or if you're a college punk or a blue-hair seeking out the next blue plate special.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...is what you say if you've never been to Kauai.
Or if you're a college punk or a blue-hair seeking out the next blue plate special.

Kauai is amazing. And the chickens!

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Kauai is amazing. And the chickens!

Although the feral cats (ground zero is behind the Walmart in Lihue) have decreased the rooster population considerably, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, those little f**kers will still keep you up all night.

It's the only time I've ever hated having a cock that stayed up all night.

#46 3 years ago

I have been all over the world and Thailand was my favorite destination by a MILE. Krabi which is a small island off the mainland is as close to paradise as I have found.

Here is where I stayed in Krabi. Its a bit pricey but totally worth it, the food was fantastic, the people were great and it has some of the best climbing in the world.

Thailand_Krabi_Railay_Beach_Railay_Bay_Resort_4614_1_(resized).JPG

#47 3 years ago

Patagonia! Summer time now, relatively cheap accommodation, local beer breweries to get drunk at night time and friendly people.

#48 3 years ago

Go to Las Vegas.

#49 3 years ago

Las Vegas is awsome and there is something there for everyone.

#50 3 years ago

Go to San Diego. Sleep over the Pacific Ocean in one of the cottages on Crystal Pier. It doesn't get much better than that ( crystalpier.com ). If you really want to get your passport stamped, go to Tijuana during the day. You'll speed your return back by having a US Passport Card or Nexus Card.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
4,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
York, PENNSYLVANIA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Schofield, WI
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 199.00
Lighting - Interactive
Medisinyl Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 146.66
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside