Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0838.jpg
    IMG_6534.jpg
    IMG_6536.jpg
    IMG_6535.jpg
    RedPaper.jpg
    6de2ae820c8bf5a90d93ef1e8bee342a.jpg
    e44515cc89b32b47a21415fdb57118b1.jpg
    af861205397e8240737838469ee3ef42.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Trying out UV window film to protect my pins. My TZ by the window already has fade. I'm placing pieces of red construction paper in protected and unprotected windows on the South side of my house and will compare in a month how well this worked. The Gila window film claims 99% UV blocking.

The last pic show unprotected versus protected difference. I finished the left window after this shot.

af861205397e8240737838469ee3ef42.jpg e44515cc89b32b47a21415fdb57118b1.jpg 6de2ae820c8bf5a90d93ef1e8bee342a.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Cant you just put day shades on those?

#3 9 years ago

I just bought that exact thing for my basement windows, was going to install it tomorrow.

I'm thinking about putting up heavy curtains too and just have the windows open when we are down in the basement.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Cant you just put day shades on those?

Those windows actually have thick wood blinds I can drop down. I've had it like that for years, but we enjoy the sunlight and view out to the gardens.

I should point out the I'm lowering the blinds during the test. If the film doesn't do anything I'll leave them down. The proof will be in the red construction paper samples I'll put in the windows compared with a sheet I'm leaving in a drawer.

#5 9 years ago

We wouldn't want that wonderful Paragon art to fade now would we
    :p

#6 9 years ago

I have blackout honeycomb shades installed in my actual pin room (the cheapest ones I could find were on overstock.com fwiw), which are awesome, but there are windows in the adjacent rooms that could use something more subtle.

I have the same film in my Amazon wish list. Looking forward to seeing your results. Thanks for doing this.

#7 9 years ago

You should find a quality film. That stuff will fade after a while. You need the commercial grade stuff to make it worth your while. The good stuff is about $2 a foot for 36" wide stuff. I get the stuff from Johnson window films in CA.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

You should find a quality film. That stuff will fade after a while. You need the commercial grade stuff to make it worth your while. The good stuff is about $2 a foot for 36" wide stuff. I get the stuff from Johnson window films in CA.

This crap cost me $40 for two windows worth. If it fades in my one month test I'm tearing it all off and returning it. Ok not really, but I'll be pissed.

#9 9 years ago

It may be good stuff, just never heard the name. It will last a while even if it is cheaper stuff, just not as long.

#10 9 years ago

What's the name of the commercial grade? Is there a chemical coating alternative? This film crap is a pain.

#11 9 years ago

I'm marking this as a favorite. The gameroom in my new place has a window in a similar position. The first thought was brick and mortar but we love the sunlight also. I'm watching. My guess is its going to work just fine for a year or two depending on the amount of sunlight that window gets.

#12 9 years ago

I installed film on all the windows in our previous townhouse about 10 years ago. I think the brand name was Llumar, it cost about $300 and was enough for ten windows without much left over.

There was a window in our master bedroom closet, and after living there for about 6 months, our clothes, curtains, and furniture were fading, even though we kept the blinds drawn the majority of the time. After installing the film and living there another 8 years, I didn't notice any more fading.

My TZ sat with one of those filmed windows in pretty much that same location while we lived there, but I kept blinds and a blackout curtain on the window all the time. Plus, it already had some fade on that side.

Oh, and you can get pretty much the same treatment pre-installed on your windows, but I am not aware of any aftermarket product other than the film. It is a PITA to install, and if I had it to do again, I would have professionals do it.

They just installed it on the windows in the office a few months ago, and those windows are about 6 feet wide. I don't know how they handled pieces that big.

#13 9 years ago

The test begins... three peices; one taped to the window in my game room behind the UV film, one taped to a window no UV film, and one stored in my TZ cab as a control.

RedPaper.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Great idea! I'm curious to see if and how well this works!

1 month later
    #15 9 years ago

And here's the verdict guys. WOW - I'm leaving my shades down from now on. Yikes.

(two photos in natural light, one under my kitchen's LED lighting)

No surprise on the unprotected piece. Let's call it off-white now.

The "UV Protected" piece didn't fare very well. This was supposed to be 99% UV Protection!

The control, safe and sound inside my TZ was unchanged.

Lesson learned.

Brian

IMG_6535.jpg IMG_6536.jpg IMG_6534.jpg

#16 9 years ago

Holy Schnikeys! Im removing all windows from my house!

#17 9 years ago

Wow! The UV stuff did a little protecting but still way too much fading. Looks like Blackout Shades full time is the only solution.

#18 9 years ago

Holy cow, lol. At least you know now!

#19 9 years ago

My main pinball room has a slider patio door, facing west. I was thinking about having UV film installed...at $300.

I'm seriously having second thoughts now.

Thanks for doing this study for us.

#20 9 years ago

Nice study! What about if there is a window not in the room with pins hit room adjacent to it and light comes in through door. It is not direct, would this impact fade on cabinet?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Redeyes:

Nice study! What about if there is a window not in the room with pins hit room adjacent to it and light comes in through door. It is not direct, would this impact fade on cabinet?

I wondered about this too ... UV does reflect off of certain surfaces, but I'm not sure how much off of walls, flooring, etc...

I'm also wondering if there's a suitable UV protectant wax or polish suitable for pin cabinets... anyone?

#22 9 years ago

EXCELLENT study. Thankfully my game room has no windows at all.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

I'm also wondering if there's a suitable UV protectant wax or polish suitable for pin cabinets... anyone?

How would we test how well this worked? Waxed paper?

#24 9 years ago

Thank you very much for this test! I'm lucky in that my game room has no windows and is kept dark. This information is very good to know though.

#25 9 years ago

Wow, thanks man, I was going to get some film for my windows, suppose I still should it does look like it will still slow the fade anyways! Cool test!

#26 9 years ago

Yeah, that's pretty convincing Pinster. Good call on the red too. Before I got new windows I had the Gila Titanium installed on my old 70's windows. It helped a bit with fade and heat; the privacy aspect in the daytime was a bonus too. After seeing the results now, I'm glad I had a set of the thick thermal curtains in the gameroom- just in case!

FWIW though, UV light isn't the only factor to cause fading. Visible light and heat (especially combined) can cause more damage than just the UV rays.

Still, thanks for taking the time Pinster, fun stuff!

#27 9 years ago

Must be a typo in the ad. 99% UV passthrough, not protection.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Must be a typo in the ad. 99% UV passthrough, not protection.

Yeah ... but there's that little text that says "up to". Damn lawyers & marketing people.

#29 9 years ago

Good test! Pinballs are best kept in the bat cave

#30 9 years ago

This gila tint apparently kills birds too . The gila tint has a mirror like effect and I guess that is a problem for birds. This poor little dove bit the dust after smacking into our gila tinted patio door last weekend. The road runner was happy to have a little snack

IMAG0838.jpg

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from pindevil:

This gila tint apparently kills birds too . The gila tint has a mirror like effect and I guess that is a problem for birds. This poor little dove bit the dust after smacking into our gila tinted patio door last weekend. The road runner was happy to have a little snack

Meep meep!

#32 9 years ago

MEEP! NOM NOM NOM MEEP MEEP!

Fixed that for you.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from pindevil:

Don't blame it too much on the tint. We have a bird smash into our non-tinted windows every two or three weeks. Most of them shake it off and fly away. I'd like to tint those windows so I guess we'll see if the bird strikes increase when we do.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from pindevil:

The road runner was happy to have a little snack

Holy crap they exist

Ya... pins in the family room and all shades are closed all day. Good thing i like it dark. Also i positioned my two other pins DE:SW and F14 on either side of CV to protect it should i need to open the windows... Sacrificial pin cabs lol.

Nice test. Thanks for the results!

#35 9 years ago

Nice test. I've been debating UV film vs curtains/shutters/etc... this confirms UV film still needs help with curtains.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

How would we test how well this worked? Waxed paper?

Interesting experiment and nice work. I think the next step is to use the real deal, vinyl decals. Someone has to have a decal they screwed up that could be cut up for testing purposes.

Either way I've always used this stuff:

http://303products.com/index.php/303r-aerospace-protectant.html

You can tell if it is still working by touch--feels a bit like wax or SPF lotion.

#37 9 years ago

What about putting a cover over your pins when you aren't using them?

#38 9 years ago

I so want a pet roadrunner.

But I digress.

#39 9 years ago

Thanks for doing the test, and posting the results. Just shocked at the lousy performance of the UV film. Glad I didn't buy any of that when I thought about it.

#40 9 years ago

Ouch! So much for UV Protection.

Do you think a higher quality film would work better possibly??

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Ouch! So much for UV Protection.
    Do you think a higher quality film would work better possibly??

You know anything is possible. There's a few considerations in my testing:

1) It was cheap construction paper with who-knows what ink (food coloring maybe )
    2) The paper was taped directly to the inside of the UV film. Maybe the film works by dispersing the UV, so a certain distance from the film may influence results.
    3) Cabinet decals "may" have been printed with more UV-tolerant inks.
    4) Gila Film, the brand I used, could just be crap, absolute jerk-off-the-street crap, sold at Lowes for the unsuspected homeowner schlub to buy up with false hopes of UV liberation.

I'm just using this as a guide. But the results tell a lot. Sun damages ink, particularly red as we all know. If it fades cheap crappy construction paper I'm fairly certain I don't want to trust my pin collection to overexposure.

I'd love to see (or conduct) more tests on fade protection. We all love a well-lit room (except when I'm in my cave-dwelling, dracula, haven't showered in a few days, gonna get my high score, Shlitz-drinking mood).

Brian

#42 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the results Brian. I sent a couple of your pics to my wife. She seemed to doubt me when I talked about the sun fading cabinets, and she's always coming behind me and opening the blinds in our gameroom. Her response? "Maybe you can tape some paper to the sides of your pinball machines" ....sigh... I can't win.

#43 9 years ago

Back when I was in Florida, the best film was 3M Silver for blocking fading.

It looked like a mirror from the outside.

The beach and the ocean blast a ton of extra light into the house, so the 3M silver film was a necessity. All the neighbors had it, either in silver or bronze color.

I think it was called 3M P35 or something like that.

#44 9 years ago

Might try this Vid, thanks

#45 9 years ago

for science rigor I would like to see a future test which includes a piece of paper where a pin would be located...

what you said in point #2 is a big possibility and now I am curious of how this film is supposed to work.

2) The paper was taped directly to the inside of the UV film. Maybe the film works by dispersing the UV, so a certain distance from the film may influence results.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!